++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Its easier if you're born beautiful

I won't type out the article but I read this article in my daily paper today which basically argued that parents treat their good-looking kids better than those who were hit with the ugly stick at birth. It also said (and this was all backed up by scientific research if its accurate who knows?) that those who are better looking on average have incomes 5% greater than those plainer looking folks. however those who were really good-looking (particulary women) were penalised cause people thought they were airheads! (hehe). for men, being tall and slender meant you were more likely to have a higher income those shorter and fatter amongst us.

so this raises one question? these parents are discriminating against these ugly children who look just like them? LOL
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
titan9
USER INFO »
I've seen the article you mentioned, Aussie. I can't believe parents are actually like that. Your parents are the two people that you expect to get unconditional love from, and yet you don't get that because you're average looking and not as pretty as sister A or brother B? Ridiculous. And where did the average looks come from? The parents! Duh. Yet they're penalizing you for looking just like them!

I also think it's stupid that employers will give(based on this study) higher salaries to those who are better looking than to those who are average looking. Shouldn't it be based on ability and education, not looks? That's big time discrimination, imo. I'm not about to judge my looks, so I really don't know which side I'm on, lol. I just hope that when I get a job, I don't get discriminated against because of my looks.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 05-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Xterminator27
USER INFO »
Shit im tall and slender

SCORE FREE MONEEEY
Old 05-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
As my friend Rob said... "Life is so much easier when you're a hot girl."

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
creedsister
USER INFO »
People are morons I was such adorable Lit Girl i will admit its easier to con parents when you a great looking kid haaaaaaaaaaa cant argue
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 05-07-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
RMadd
USER INFO »
i would think that these findings prolly would tend to be accurate. not sure what would motivate them to be harsher towards the uglier child, exactly, but that's something Colin & his fellow psychos can figure out. psychologists, rather.
and the income would seem to be quite logical, as well. i guess it's just inherent discrimination. we've, by and large, learned to view tall and thin as attractive growing up, while short and fat is, of course, shunned. and that translates from hollywood to everyday life. and then there's the "dumb blonde" stereotype, and prolly a common belief that hot chicks can't be smart. i personally, would hire the hot chick as a secretary which, of course, would provide a lesser salary than, say, being a "regular" employee (in the sense that she doesn't answer calls and run errands all day for her superior)

Old 05-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) i would think that these findings prolly would tend to be accurate. not sure what would motivate them to be harsher towards the uglier child, exactly, but that's something Colin & his fellow psychos can figure out. psychologists, rather.
and the income would seem to be quite logical, as well. i guess it's just inherent discrimination. we've, by and large, learned to view tall and thin as attractive growing up, while short and fat is, of course, shunned. and that translates from hollywood to everyday life. and then there's the "dumb blonde" stereotype, and prolly a common belief that hot chicks can't be smart. i personally, would hire the hot chick as a secretary which, of course, would provide a lesser salary than, say, being a "regular" employee (in the sense that she doesn't answer calls and run errands all day for her superior)

it probably isn't a concious decision as you state, just something we do without thinking. i guess it is something we have to be concious about. you just have to hope you're decent looking! LOL
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
RMadd
USER INFO »
i didn't necessarily say it was conscious. it really is something that is always there, but that we don't always think about. i would say, given otherwise equal candidates, the employer would be inclined to hire the more attractive of the two (unless she's supasupafine lol). so i guess, before long, we're gonna have Affirmative Action for fatties and hotties.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
Ivan_Creed
USER INFO »
It is ridiculous, but I guess there is some truth in physical discrimination... I am against it, by asking the question of '..defining the beautiful..'....
Sic, really...
Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) i didn't necessarily say it was conscious. it really is something that is always there, but that we don't always think about. i would say, given otherwise equal candidates, the employer would be inclined to hire the more attractive of the two (unless she's supasupafine lol). so i guess, before long, we're gonna have Affirmative Action for fatties and hotties.

affirmtative action is flawed for the simple fact that employers are trying to hire more women or "coloured" people simply for that reason. what happened to just employing the best possible employee no matter what gender or race?
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie