++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 04-27-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Tamawig
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Pearl Jam last night

The show was unbelievable. This is a review someone put up on a pearl jam site. I'm too lazy to do all that typing, so i'll put his up.

I just got back from the Pittsburgh show let me say- INCREDIBLE. 2 and a half hours, 28 songs. they opened with Small Town, and then powered through Hail Hail, Save You, Corduroy (with Ed doing a cool slide intro for a bit), Insignificance, Cropduster, before Ed addressed the crowd. Then came Daughter, without much of a tag. Even Flow was one of MANY jams throughout the night, which basically consisted of Mike going off for about 5 minutes. At one point, Mike ran all the way across the stage to Ed, who was watching on the side next to Boom, and did a crazy solo right in front of him. Then the boys pulled out Faithful! Sounded great, followed by a strong Whipping, and Immortality, a great version. They then plowed into Blood. After which Ed said "we usually play that song at the end of a set, cause its hard to sing much of anything after that. (pointing at his throat) But these things are made of steel. (Pittsburgh reference) and Matt plays titanium toms. And Mike and Stone both listen to a lot of metal. So overall we are pretty galvanized. Mike, give us a little bit of Nitro," and Mike proceeds to play about 10 secs of speed metal which was hysterical. They then play Down, Love Boat captain, Wishlist (with a long "give us the truth" style improv/outro). Ed lets the crowd sing the first verse of Better Man, and they do enthusiastically. They close with Go.

For the First Encore, Ed goes and speaks to all the band members, and then says "just so you know we aren't discriminatory people, as you will see with the body language of the next song." And the whole band turns around and plays Last Kiss to the crowd behind the stage. Breakerfall is next, followed by Once, Alive, and Footsteps (mamasan trilogy out of order). Alive has Ed using the mirror to light up the entire audience in turn, to the delight of everyone. afterwards, Ed notices the Skyboxes, which have been turning their lights on and off repeatedly for some time, creating a strobe effect, and laughs. He says "its the first time I've ever seen anyone in the skyboxes with any sort of creativity or enthusiasm. Jeff just said it looks like goddamn fuckin Hollywood squares up there!" the crowd loved this. Rearviewmirror is VERY long, a huge jam, stretching the song towards 10 mins, and closes the first encore. Ed returns solo after a few minutes and plays a great Hide Your Love Away. The band soars into Know Your Rights, which most of the crowd seems to be learning. Do the Evolution comes next, and then a REAL LONG Porch, with another extended jam featuring Mr. McCready soloing forever. They turn the house lights on and finish with Yellow Ledbetter. wow.... the band seemed to be having a great time... Mike jumping a lot, Jeff almost as much, and Eddie getting drunk off his wine. a great crowd in a good concert arena, and just an amazing show, one that will not be forgotten.

-Jamie Habberfield
Buffalo, NY

ps. thanks to dogstar for all the work hes been doing on the dust for life case.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OH MAN, I cannot WAIT for tomorrow night in Philly!!!! That sounds like an awesome lineup of songs. Thanks for the awesome review, Tamawig. My guess is you had a great time! I LOVE when they jam...Mike is unreal!!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:59 AM   #3
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OMFG!!!!!! I'm too tired to write a review, but I have to say, the boys from Pearl Jam know how to put on a rock concert. FRICKEN AMAZING SHOW!!!!!!!! I have to get up early for traffic court tomorrow, so I will post more later for those who are interested...TWO ENCORES and three covers: Fortunate Son (CCR), Rockin' in the Free World (Neil Young) and You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (I don't know if that's the right title--Beatles)....2 1/2 hours of serious friggin energy. I'm whooped. We were on the left side of the stage, even with it, and pretty high up but it was a great view. The place was jamming the whole night. Noboby sat and everybody sang!!!!...Whew!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Sheila63
USER INFO »
Wow!! Sounds like an awesome show, Dogstar!! I'm so happy to hear you had such a Fantastic time!!!

Relearn Love
Old 04-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Thanks, Sheila. It was INCREDIBLE!!!!
I am SO GLAD I finally got to see them. I can't believe what a show they put on for 37 bucks a ticket. Simply amazing. I can't say enough good things about them. I was so pumped!

They must have played almost 30 songs and Eddie Vedder was effusive in his praise for Philly. He and Jeff Ament got to meet Dr. J, and the opening band, Sparta, even mentioned the no-hitter the Phils had on Sunday.

They played a lot from Ten, including Jeremy!!! (during one of the encores) and several from Riot Act, including You Are, which was a real treat with a funky light show. Mike McCready was insane, all over the stage, ripping solos and jamming left and right, jumping pu and down...so much energy! He was on our side ! Eddie's voice was in excellent form as well and he did a fair amount of guitar playing and jumping around, along with some swigging from a wine bottle. You could tell he could feel the love from Philly as he kept putting his fist to his chest. One of the highlights for me was when they played Nothing As It Seems from Binaural. It's become my fave PJ song of late. Do the Evolution was nuts, too. This crowd was as crazy as the crowds for Creed. We all jumped up the minute they came on stage and there was so much cheering it was defeaning. In every song they played the crowd kept cheering and cheering, after Mike's playing or Eddie's singing. 20,000 people standing and dancing and cheering. Unreal!

We had some binoculars and I could see that Eddie was wearing a Beach Boys shirt, which I thought was cool. He looked really good, although I admit I miss his long hair, especially when he was headbanging.

The CCR and Beatles covers were a real treat. Eddie did the Beatles cover solo and it was sweet. He dedicated the song to anyone brave enough to express themselves in whatever way possible, like writing, art, singing. I just about cried during that. I don't know why it got to me, but it did. It was very touching.

In one of Eddie's more humorous moments, he ripped Sen. Joe Biden (Delaware, I think?) for tacking on an amendment to a bill that would hold venues responsible for people who get caught doing illegal drugs. He basically said people should be able to do whatever drugs they want, LOL....

I can't wait for my bootleg to arrive!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
It sounds like you had a great time
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 04-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #7
creedgirl99
USER INFO »
Did they sing Black?? I am going to see them June 10th, and I really hope they sing it since it's one of my favorite songs!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yes, they sang Black. It's one of my favorites, too! The entire audience sang the whole song. It was sooooooooo cool! Have you ever seen them before? It was my first time!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #9
creedgirl99
USER INFO »
Oh, yay! I'm so glad they sang it....I hope that means that they'll sing it here!!!! No, I've never seen them before....I'm so excited! We are sitting on the floor...so we'll be close!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #10
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OMG! How did you get such great seats??? The Philly show sold out in 18 minutes. I was sooooo lucky to get ANY tickets! Wow...that is awesome! I heard today that they have added a third show in my area! They already were coming back to the area July 5, and now tickets are going on sale Saturday for July 6, but I can't go, unfortunately. I have to work .

Some guy who was on the floor for last night's show actually took the chair he sat in. I don't know how he got it out of the place without getting caught. He was on the subway with me and we were just cracking up that he managed to get it out of there. He actually sat on it in the subway car. That took real cajones to pull that off. He said he just kind of walked in the middle of a big crowd and nobody of note saw him take the chair. Amazing.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #11
creedgirl99
USER INFO »
My friend got online right when they went on sale....he's the man! That is so funny that guy took his seat home with him!!! I wonder if I can get away with that?!?!?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hehehehe...I still can't believe he did that. He was so proud, LOL...Wow, online? My modem's too slow for that. I would have to do it at work where the computers are MUCH faster. Good for you, though. The floor was rockin' for sure, even without a real pit. It was all seats, but all those people were dancing and jumping around. We were, too, even as high up as we were.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #13
Sheila63
USER INFO »
I'm not really familiar with any of their songs, I'll have to check out some of the ones all of you mentioned. I like to listen to different music 'cause you never know what awesome new music you might discover in the process.

Relearn Love
Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 PM   #14
Tamawig
USER INFO »
dogstar

Lucky Ba$tard, you got "black" and "you are". Sounds like another great show. Did you order a bootleg, I can't wait for mine. Hopefully something from these shows will end up on the dvd.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:31 PM   #15
HigherGirl
USER INFO »
Wow Tamawig...it sounded like a GREAT show...
I reeeeallly like Pearl Jam, I've never seen them live
before.... glad you had a good time tho'!!!!