++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Cool idea concerning singles

We all know FTR is going to be the next single, right? And hopefully a video will be released for it. But here's the thing: wouldn't it be great to release BW with a music video and release Metalingus just for rock radio?

I mean that would great because BW is mainly pop radio and Metalingus of course is just rock radio and they're both great songs and they're the complete opposite of each other. Metalingus is an extremely heavy song and BW is relatively soft, but they're still great songs. That would attract many audiences. Sales would go up.

Who's behind me in my idea?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
R U Ready?
USER INFO »
Ok.

-Open Your Eyes
Old 11-27-2004, 01:43 AM   #3
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
so you want to two songs released together? ummm it could work....
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 11-27-2004, 04:32 AM   #4
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) so you want to two songs released together? ummm it could work....

Yeah, that's what Creed did, but the two songs they released sucked. DSD and Weathered.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Weathered was a good song.....

I think your idea is good.Maybe a video for both....? Who knows...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
XenoN
USER INFO »
It's possible that it could work, but I think Broken Wings is Alter Bridge's "With Arms Wide Open" (as in it's their ultimate power ballad-type song)...

So, it's almost guaranteed that, if you consider how much the mainstream would take in BW, that whatever song BW is released with would pretty much flop on radio airtime. BW is also too powerful of a song (in my eyes, when considering how the mainstream would jump all over it like WAWO) to just be a video or just be a radio hit.

The double release would work with something like ILM and Metalingus though. Broken Wings wouldn't be able to be part of a double release of any sort because I think it'd just kinda bully another song out of the fold.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:58 AM   #7
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Yeah, I really think Broken Wings will be a huge, Top 40 type hit that will introduce the masses to AB. I wouldn't want Metalingus to take away from that.

Broken Wings will bring AB into the big time. You can quote me on that.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
XenoN
USER INFO »
I agree Hellboy, except for one thing... I think Broken Wings would take away from Metalingus moreso than vice versa - BW would get an assload of radio play. I agree though, BW is going to be the breakthrough just as WAWO was for Creed.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 PM   #9
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
broken wings and ILM have hit written all over them.....
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 12-07-2004, 11:03 PM   #10
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
Honestly... I Don't think AB should Release any Really Soft Songs... SUre they'd be an easy top 40 hit... But FUCK TOP 40 RADIO... TOP 40 RADIO SUCKS... i think it would accually hurt AB's Credibility as a REAL rock band... just my Opinion of course...

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Wylde-Tremonti) Honestly... I Don't think AB should Release any Really Soft Songs... SUre they'd be an easy top 40 hit... But FUCK TOP 40 RADIO... TOP 40 RADIO SUCKS... i think it would accually hurt AB's Credibility as a REAL rock band... just my Opinion of course...
I agree w/ you there

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 AM   #12
XenoN
USER INFO »
I have a bit of a problem with this "damaging their credibility by making top 40."

I am totally against this notion of a band losing credibility by having success. It's pure and utter bullshit to me. I'm not trying to start any fights here, but that's how I feel.

If Alter Bridge were to release In Loving Memory or Broken Wings as a single, and they make number one for the week, we should applaud our boys for kicking ass. We should also remember a couple things:

1) When a band makes top 40, it's because they release something that's comfortably played in the mainstream. This means that it's ok for all the mainstream yuppies to like it, which is ok.

2) While considering notion 1, we should also remember that those of us who were buying a copy of ODR on August 10, 2004, are the fans of Alter Bridge who knew they could make it to that top 40, and know ourselves that they truly are a rock band, or else we wouldn't have wasted our time.

There's my two cents.
-Z
Old 12-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #13
RMadd
USER INFO »
alright, i think the divide exists in the fact that we have different perceptions of what defines popularity. if i'm not mistaken, Xenon, you're saying it's from popularity overall. however, in my opinion (and prolly matt's as well), if they're going for a more metal-oriented sound, and trying to establish themselves as distinct from Creed, i don't think releasing the more ballad-type singles would be in their best interest. that's when you get critics going off on them for being nothing more than a rehashing of Creed minus an annoying, megalomaniacal lead singer. I know OYE stayed on the playlist of 105.7, the alt-rock station in St. Louis, for not more than a few weeks. that's because alt-rock listeners tend not to like Creed (at least in my experience)

Old 12-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #14
XenoN
USER INFO »
I agree with your stance on how it's not for their best interest in releasing a ballad type song wouldn't be in their best interest if they're going for a metal-oriented sound.

My only thing is that people stereotype a band if they have a song that makes it into the top 40 / go mainstream. Look what happened with Metallica, for example. Half their fans abandoned them when they made their drastic change in the mid-90s.

I remember many of my friends being Creed fans until WAWO, and all of the charity stuff they did. Then I started seeing the "Even Jesus Hates Creed" t-shirts all over the place. I just hate that. I was a Creed fan through all the albums until Stapp's head started growing.

I agree with you though, RMadd... releasing Broken Wings would be a bad idea if they want to go with a metal-oriented sound. Although, if that's the case, then why were BW and ILM on the CD? Dare I mention DTML and Burn it Down? Those songs are all very Creed-like and very not metal (DTML is borderline to me, though).
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
titan9
USER INFO »
I agree with you guys, if BW gets released as a single, it'll be huge. But you guys are also right about it possibly hurting AB's credibility as a Hard Rock band. But I think once people hear that song and buy the album, they'll realize AB is not another Creed. They're different.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!