++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 01-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #31
facelessmike
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Stapp Confesses

All I can say is that its a relief to finally have some factual knowledge of the events in that article. It is interesting that all our specuation about Scott had some basis in truth. On the whole, it is a really sad and alarming story of the demise of a truly great band. But for me, and hopefully for all Creed fans, this information will bring some closure to the troubled past and the breakup, and will now direct focus on the promise of the future for all the members of Creed.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:08 AM   #32
facelessmike
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Higher_Desire) it's funny. the more i learn about stapp, the more i can't help but think that we're related or something. besides the fame, it seems like we've been through the exact same things. he wanted to end his life because of creed, and my life was saved because of creed. drugs, alcohol, depression, abuse... damn. i've been there and it ain't pretty. i would love to sit down for just five minutes with scott and talk to him and hug him. let's just say that i understand exactly why he said absolutely nothing during the whole ordeal when we had so many questions. aside from everyone thinking they can help, becuase you know they can't, people going through this type of thing think that they are alone. can you imagine what the media would have done if they had gotten wind of it while it was going on? jeez. that definetly wouldn't have been pretty. i'm glad he's taking the recovering so seriously now. especially with things like having a sobriety coach on the road with him.

Amen!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #33
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Who is saying that he is still pointing his finger at someone else? He has admitted in the past that he has made mistakes, and did the same in this interview. The only thing I can find in this interview to back up your comment is when Stapp said that "his problems weren't what broke up Creed". And you know what? I think he's probably right. Yes, his problems probably contributed to the break-up, but I do not think that was the main reason for it. Mark was obviously moving in a different direction than Stapp was after HC. Even if Stapp had no drinking problems, no drug problems, who is to say that Creed would still be around today?

Did you read the interview? it's pretty obvious he blames a few other people.

I'm not saying Creed would still be around... never did.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #34
bobben
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremontixriffs) I am a huge Tremonti fan I am very pissed that in this interview disses creeds music, i believe it to be totally fucked up!He can say what he wants but for him to diss creeds music is to diss the fans that paid to listen and to support them.

So true! SO true!

Quote: (Originally Posted by TheGreatDivide) BTW I'm gonna write a screenplay for the movie.

Good! Be sure to give it to give it to the right people then! I can see many Oscars coming your way!
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #35
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) Did you read the interview? it's pretty obvious he blames a few other people.

Yes, I read the interview twice, to make sure I am not missing something. Here's some quotes from it to back up what I said:

Quote: (Originally Posted by Stapp) "I've made a lot of mistakes I'm not proud of."

There he admits to making a lot of mistakes in the past. He isn't blaming someone else....he is saying that HE made the mistakes.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Stapp) "I felt like I was the reason these guys' dream wasn't happening. I think their rock & roll dream got screwed over by my lyrics."

Right there he admits that he felt he was the reason why the band was hated. He felt guilty about it because not only did the hate hurt him, it also hurt the other members of Creed.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Stapp) Stapp insists his health problems were very real. When the tour finally resumed, he says he contracted pneumonia and had developed nodules on his vocal cords that could have ended his career. "I showed the band documented medical reports," Stapp says. "But they were being told other things by management, I think, to keep pressure on me to tour. Someone actually stood up at a meeting -- I'm not going to say who -- and said, 'I don't care. I've got an effing house and wedding to pay for.'"

Maybe in that quote you feel he is blaming someone? Here's my interpretation of it: he is making sure that people know that yes, he did have a ton of health problems before, during and after the Weathered tour. These problems(the car accident, the vocal nodules and such) were documented. However, like Stapp said, apparently the management told the rest of the band(Flip, Tremo and Brett) that wasn't the case. Given how screwed up Stapp was at that point in his life, they probably chose to believe what management said and thus did not really care about the health problems. Not really their fault, because if I were in their shoes and had observed the heavy partying, I'd believe management as well. But, really, all Stapp is doing in this quote is affirming what he has said for years now: he had health problems during the Weathered tour, and instead of taking time off to heal, he kept going at it because he didn't want to let the rest of the band down.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Stapp) "My problems were not what ended Creed," Stapp insists. "Creed was ended by egos and people wanting to do their own thing and poor decision-making. You have family members whispering in people's ears, saying, 'You're not getting enough credit.' In every interview I did, I'd say, 'This is easy to do when you're playing with the best guitar player in the world.' I meant it. And I still think he's a genius. But Mark was never happy. He wanted to do his own thing."

That's probably another quote where you think he is blaming other people for his mistakes. Well, the way I interpret it is this: he is saying that Creed was ended by egos(management, the band, the label etc), people wanting to do their own thing(namely Mark wanting to shred and really showcase his ability as a guitarist) and poor decision-making(Stapp doing the Weathered tour despite the health problems). What he says about Mark never being happy seems to be the case. Look at what Mark has said since the break-up....look at what he said in this interview. It was obvious that he was not happy with the direction Creed was heading toward. He wanted to shred. He didn't want to be so hated by the music world. He wanted to do his own thing. That isn't Scott's fault and I don't think Scott is blaming his problems on Mark.

Unless I am completely missing something, I don't see how you think he is blaming other people(for his mistakes and problems) in this interview.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #36
crest tattoo
USER INFO »

I'm interested in the part where he says there's still phone calls to be made. That is a major step in recovery. With his past, I pray for him he can hold on to his faith. You know he knows what his faith is, and he fights it so hard sometimes. I hope this time, he can hold on. He needs prayer, and so does Jagger and the rest of his family.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #37
SummerGirl
USER INFO »

Thanks for posting this Sarah!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #38
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) This really doesn't have to do with the topic everyone is discussing here but from the article:

That's exactly the story a friend of mine told me when his band opened for Creed back in 1997. Again, back in 1997! Before Creed was even popular!
Jerry Cantrell, though not naming Stapp directly, also said something similar when he toured with them in 2002. He mentioned how the Nickelback guys were great to tour with, friendly, always wanting to hang out. He said he never got as much as a hello from Creed.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #39
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

Zia, the bassist for Mayfield Four, is the one who Stapp asked to get a coke for him - according to Julia.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #40
The Lithium
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremontixriffs) I am a huge Tremonti fan I am very pissed that in this interview disses creeds music, i believe it to be totally fucked up!He can say what he wants but for him to diss creeds music is to diss the fans that paid to listen and to support them.Alterbridge is not as good of a band as creed was, they will never be, just like Stapp will never be either. They are at their best collectively! Lets just put the whole thing to rest because if I have to hear Mark dissing Creed I'd rather listen to Audioslave and forget about a crap band called alter bridge..I am so pissed!
Well, I can't see what makes you a Tremonti fan when you always bitch at him... And I think it would be wrong of Mark to diss Creed's music, yes. But he really didn't! I think Stapp did most of the Mark-didn't-like-Creed-statments himself. And did Mark say he didn't want to play Creed songs because he didn't like the music? It was HIS music Goddamnit! He said it was a complete nightmare to him, and what the hell do you know about it? Really...? He doesn't want to listen to Creed, because towards the end of Creed it was a negative experience for him. I can't recall him saying: "Nobody should listen to Creed". He didn't even diss Creed's music. He just said it was a nightmare, and I understand him. That Chicago show can't have been fun for him.

And hey, no one's even forceing you to listen to either Mark or AB.

Oh, and I agree a little bit with Marcos. Even though Stapp took responsibility for many things, he still did blame some other people for some things.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor

Last edited by The Lithium : 01-13-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #41
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

Imagine going out on stage every night, and standing next to a guy who was more worried about his house and his wedding than whether you lived or died. Geez.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #42
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Imagine going out on stage every night, and standing next to a guy who was more worried about his house and his wedding than whether you lived or died. Geez.
We don't even know if that someone actually said that.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 PM   #43
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) We don't even know if that someone actually said that.

You mean....we don't know if someone actually said that?...actually, I figure Stapp's telling the truth. If his bandmates knew that continuing to perform would make his health problems worse, they could have refused to perform and management wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. Its pretty apparent that's not the way they felt. They wanted to work....they have said as much in interviews. It also proves that they weren't as clueless to Stapp's predicament as they claimed to be. They just simply didn't care. That's what pulling in a million per concert will do to you.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 AM   #44
evyllsummer
USER INFO »

Stapp was a drug addict. Was that Mark's fault? Stapp's health was in danger because he was living DANGEROUSLY, and, as MOST of us have been saying all along, there was a LOT more than JUST prednisone that was responsible for his health and behavior. It's a funny thing, when you have mostly Jack Daniels, percocet, and zanax in your system, your health is eventually going to take a nosedive. It's not like he had Lou Gehrig's Disease or diabetes...Stapp's physical maladies were, for the most part, the direct result of his debacherous rock and roll lifestyle. Let's assume for a moment that what Stapp said about that remark was unequivocally true, and that it was Mark that said it, isn't it even a LITTLE understandable that Mark might be a little upset that the ENTIRE BAND could possibly grind to a halt because of some REALLY bad decisions that Stapp had made alone?

I'm curious, is ALL of Stapp's behavior and addictions going to be blamed on his bandmates, or has Stapp earned any of the blame himself?

Last edited by evyllsummer : 01-14-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #45
evyllsummer
USER INFO »

and, as for theory being presented involving Mark being all about the money, is that why he abandoned the multi-platinum selling Creed? Is that why he hired Brian Marshall (the band member he FIRED) as the bassist for Alter Bridge, even AFTER Brian SUED both Mark AND Stapp for compensation after his dismissal from Creed? Mark STILL hired him, thereby giving Brian the chance to do it again...when Mark could have literally hundreds of bassists vying for that job, he wanted Marshall...Brian, Mark, Flip, Brett, all still friends...the one that is out of the equation? Stapp, because that's how he wanted it...now, I'm sure that Stapp is naturally a solitary person, and, maybe, deep down, he wanted to be a part of that group, but, considering that everyone ELSE is still friends, it's pretty clear that Stapp could have been in that group if he had TRIED to be...