++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 04-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #16
titan9
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) *Takes the 5th*...Seriously, I download before I buy. If I really like it, I will buy it. I like having the artwork and liner notes.

I'm the exact same way. If I'm unsure of a particular album, I'll sample a few tracks. If I like those tracks, and like the lyrics for the rest of the tracks, I'll buy the CD legally. I don't use any of the online music downloading sites, because I think it is a waste of money. If I want MP3's of my favorite music on my computer so badly, I can just rip the legal MP3's of the CD onto my computer. I actually end up doing that a lot. I back up almost all of my CD's in MP3 format on a separate disc, just in case the CD gets stolen or the Computer stops working. It's legal and gives me piece of mind, lol.

I don't plan on buying an iPod(I am not spending hundreds of dollars on one of those things), but I do plan on eventually buying an MP3 player. I won't download the songs legally on the internet(why download them if I already own them legally?), just put the music from my CDs onto my player. Saves me a bunch of money and is pretty easy.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
RMadd
USER INFO »
as far as mp3 players are concerned, i'd recommend something by Creative Labs, prolly from their Nomad line. I've got a 40-gig Creative Nomad Jukebox Xtra, it's pretty sweet. only cost me $270; identical capacity in an iPod would've been about $400. i bought that particular model b/c my uncle, who lives & works in the Silicon Valley said they're pretty popular out there (take that for what you will). he has one too, really likes it.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #18
titan9
USER INFO »
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably ask for a MP3 player for my Birthday/Christmas. I'll have to look into the one you mentioned.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:34 AM   #19
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) You can spend 140 bucks on iTunes, but if your iPod or compuster crash... boom, you're fucked. Theres no warranty, theres no backups, nothing.
What happens when/if I scratch a bought CD and it won't play (happened to my Zeppelin II disc, dammit), can I call up the record store and get it replaced?

I download new bands to check them out. If I find myself listening to their music a fair bit, I'll definitely buy the CD.
Would you buy a car without test driving? Would you buy jeans without trying them on? Would you buy a house without looking at it? How is it any different?

If the band is confident people will like and buy their music great, but if not, maybe another career would be a good idea.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #20
RMadd
USER INFO »
they make CD "doctors", i think that's what they call 'em. i'm not sure how they work or how well they work, but they must do a little bit if they still sell 'em. same thing happened to my HC album (the original one, w/o the strings version of WAWO as a bonus), so i ended up buying the Japan bonus, and that's even awesomer.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #21
titan9
USER INFO »
I always back up my CDs, so if I lose my CD(or it gets scratched) I have the back-up ready. I have used the CD Doctor things before, but they don't seem to make much of a difference. So I've learned to just rip all the stuff from the CDs onto my PC, and create back-up CD-Rs just in case. It's rather inexpensive and saves you a lot of money if you wear out a disc.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #22
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Said Eyes) What happens when/if I scratch a bought CD and it won't play (happened to my Zeppelin II disc, dammit), can I call up the record store and get it replaced?

That is a physical copy that you own. You can reproduce and back up your physicals for your own use as many times are you want. You cannot do that with protected digital copies, the DRM will not allow it. Plus, you have only 3 tries to download a songs from iTunes. If your connection disconnects before you finish the song, too bad.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #23
RMadd
USER INFO »
so, if you own a particular CD, and it becomes fucked up, does that make it legal to download the songs for free?

Old 04-22-2005, 01:01 PM   #24
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
No, but you can rip YOUR cd and then reburn it.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #25
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
I don't remember the last time I've actually listened to my store-bought copy of a CD. The minute I get home from the store after buying a CD I will burn a copy of it and rip it to my computer. I only listen to the copy of the CD so the original doesn't get scratched and ruined.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 04-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) I don't remember the last time I've actually listened to my store-bought copy of a CD. The minute I get home from the store after buying a CD I will burn a copy of it and rip it to my computer. I only listen to the copy of the CD so the original doesn't get scratched and ruined.
that's exactly what i do. last school year, my computer wiped at some point over break (i had it off the whole time), and i didn't have most of my CDs here. so i lost the mere 3,000 songs i had at the time (quite a few were from unknown bands on the old, free mp3.com). now, i'm up above 13,000 (i know i'm nowhere close to you Al, but i think it's pretty impressive that i've downloaded roughly 10,000 songs in 9 months of the past 12, on top of the 3000 that i actually own).