++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #46
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) i just want to say something else here cause my neighbor works for sony...she's in sales and distribution. she sells artists albums to stores, i.e. "hey, we just got *insert artist name here*'s new album, how many units do you guys want for the store stock." now, if the label is selling them to the stores, that's still an album sold. therefore, gold status IS valid because the label got their money for them, they were sold.
Yeah that's true. That's why Björn of ABBA could sell gold before his album even was released.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #47
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) i just want to say something else here cause my neighbor works for sony...she's in sales and distribution. she sells artists albums to stores, i.e. "hey, we just got *insert artist name here*'s new album, how many units do you guys want for the store stock." now, if the label is selling them to the stores, that's still an album sold. therefore, gold status IS valid because the label got their money for them, they were sold.

i'm curious because i've seen people say such things about other artists as well, where are you getting the info from that says how many were sold and such? cause if they're certified gold by the RIAA, which i think is the organization that is giving those statistics out, would it not reflect that they've sold enough to be gold or diamond or platinum (for any artist here)? i don't get it.

The way it was told to me is that the label ships 750,000 and retailers can return 15% of CD's shipped. That apparently gives someone 500,000 CD's shipped. But that doesn't mean that all those CD's were sold. And what I am reading is that Alter Bridge hasn't sold 500,000 copies. Those statistics are coming from SoundScan. They actually track the number of units SOLD and not shipped. And their numbers aren't accurate. Some retailers over report...as much as three or four CD's for every one that they sell in order to make up for the retailers that don't report sales to SoundScan.

I've come to the conclusion that the awarding of a Gold Record is pretty much a joke if all you have to do is ship enough copies to qualify for it.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #48
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) I've come to the conclusion that the awarding of a Gold Record is pretty much a joke if all you have to do is ship enough copies to qualify for it.
Yeah, but that's the way it is! It's not about selling records, it's about shipping records.

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #49
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) Yeah, but that's the way it is! It's not about selling records, it's about shipping records.

Then Alter Bridge's GOLD record is pretty much a joke if it isn't actually based on the number of records that they have sold.

Anybody with enough money can press 750,000 CD's and ship them. Where does that mean anything is an actual accomplishment?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #50
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Then Alter Bridge's GOLD record is pretty much a joke if it isn't actually based on the number of records that they have sold.
Yes and no. Yes, it's a "joke" because they might not have sold those exact numbers. But no it's not because it's the same for everybody. This is not just an Alter Bridge thing, it's the rules for everybody. Call it a joke if you will, but those are the rules. It's the same for every artist. Alter Bridge has "sold" gold just fair like anybody else does!

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #51
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) Yes and no. Yes, it's a "joke" because they might not have sold those exact numbers. But no it's not because it's the same for everybody. This is not just an Alter Bridge thing, it's the rules for everybody. Call it a joke if you will, but those are the rules. It's the same for every artist. Alter Bridge has "sold" gold just fair like anybody else does!

No. Actually Alter Bridge just "Shipped" Gold.

Hey. I just thought of something. Stapp's a wealthy guy. He might even be able to ship Platinum. HAHAHA
Old 10-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #52
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
at least AB has done something instead of procrastinating forever....
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 PM   #53
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) at least AB has done something instead of procrastinating forever....

Don't give me that crap. Tremonti had those songs written before Creed ever thought of breaking up. Stapp has said in interviews (if you even bothered to read them) that he didn't have songs written before he started recording.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:10 AM   #54
Creed7352
USER INFO »
Quote: that he didn't have songs written before he started recording.

that's impossible...there would be nothing to record then. LOL!!

Quote: Anybody with enough money can press 750,000 CD's and ship them. Where does that mean anything is an actual accomplishment?

no, not really...i could have 4 billion dollars and still not ship gold, the record stores would have to want it.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #55
Greenworld
USER INFO »
No its not a joke at all actually, the amount you ship shows the demand for an album. So say something sells out at a store fast, then you order another hundred, then same goes fo another store, and another, etc. Then you add up all the shipment calls, and you might end having 500,000 shipped. Yea sure, 1/2 a mill. wasnt sold prolly exact, but no band has sold how many have been shipped currently until the album hits another status.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #56
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Greenworld) No its not a joke at all actually, the amount you ship shows the demand for an album. So say something sells out at a store fast, then you order another hundred, then same goes fo another store, and another, etc. Then you add up all the shipment calls, and you might end having 500,000 shipped. Yea sure, 1/2 a mill. wasnt sold prolly exact, but no band has sold how many have been shipped currently until the album hits another status.
Exactly! Sadly too many seem to be so freaking close-minded they don't care for anything else but their own opinion!

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #57
geletmote
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) at least AB has done something instead of procrastinating forever....

Well after having to sing songs over and over and over every day for months, you would need a long break to give ur voice box a rest, so I wouldnt call it procrastinating. The others play instruments its must be exciting everytime for them. Not saying singing isnt exciting but its hard work,physically and mentally draining..
Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #58
Creed7352
USER INFO »
myles kennedy works harder and puts more time into his voice than stapp. myles' voice is his instrument.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #59
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Exactly.

It's just like your job: you see the ones who are hardworkers and the ones who are slackers...

ETA to elaborate:

Although, each has its own motivation that pushes him to do more or less, according to the moments they're living.

For example, the local CEO of my company had a pretty "slow career" until after he was a 2nd line manager and then it skyrocketed.

With all the issues Stapp had, he couldn't put an album as soon as AB. But he could've taken care of his voice, which seems to have deteriorated even after the Weathered tour was done. But I'll still give him benefit of the doubt until he sings live on the radio/gig on a day he's not sick.

Last edited by Bridge of Clay : 11-02-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #60
titan9
USER INFO »
I don't deny that Myles probably puts more work into his voice than Stapp does. But to insinuate that Stapp is a slacker for that? I wouldn't say Stapp's a slacker just because he likes to spend a lot of time doing other things, like raising his son and spending time with his family. That, imo, is more important than spending hours working on his voice. Just because he doesn't spend as much time on it as Myles, that doesn't make him a slacker. If that does, you might as well call a million other singers slackers.

*Edit* I posted that before I saw Marcos edit.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!