++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Rune
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Tremo's Singing in "Open Your Eyes"

I'm not able to confirm this, but judging from what i hear:

I believe Mark is singing in the second half of each verse and in the last chorus...

If anyone hear's him anywhere else, post it here

BTW, when i listened to this song at first i wasn't really sure how i felt, i was getting used to Myles voice.

I just listened again while reading the lyrics at the same time, and i must say i do really like this song.

I do agree when people say it does still sound creedish, but i will clarify by saying that it sounds that way instrumentally only, and for obvious reasons. It's not so much that it is "Creed's" sound, moreso it's Mark's sound. It's the style that Mark has created for himself that he enjoys, and i think people need to realize that it's not so much a creed sound as it is a Mark Tremonti sound.

All in all, i'm just happy that they're playing again, i was starting to miss them and was growing rather fond of all my cd's lol.

Can't wait until the album drops, i plan on picking it up asap. Hopefully there will be some heavier stuff on there, but if not i know i'm still going to enjoy it.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Rune
USER INFO »
Just an FYI for any musicians that are interested:

From the sound of the guitars, i believe this song is in open D5, can't be sure though, just judging from the sound of the open strings (this is the same tuning as My Sacrifice).
Old 06-16-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Riffman544
USER INFO »
I see what you mean by the sound of the open tuning......I am a guitar player myself and it sounds he is using some of the same style in My Sacrifice...Thats just me though...I do looooove marks clean tone! That clean tone sounds so good
Old 06-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Rune) It's not so much that it is "Creed's" sound, moreso it's Mark's sound. It's the style that Mark has created for himself that he enjoys, and i think people need to realize that it's not so much a creed sound as it is a Mark Tremonti sound.
I would have to agree with you there, Rune.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #5
creedlvr
USER INFO »
I thought it sounded exactly like My Sacrifice in the very beginning. I realize that Mark is writing the music ... so obviously, his style is his style. That's why it is somewhat expected that it will sound like Creed.

On the other hand, I thought that Mark and Scott were "going in different directions" and that Mark preferred a slightly heavier sound. To me, there is nothing "heavier" about this song. It is very Creedish sounding. A lot of people seem to get defensive when someone says that Alter Bridge is Creed with a new lead singer. Well ... listen to the song again. I'd say that sounds about right.

Last edited by creedlvr : 06-17-2004 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedlvr) I thought that Mark and Scott were "going in different directions" and that Mark preferred a slightly heavier sound. To me, there is nothing "heavier" about this song. It is very Creedish sounding. A lot of people seem to get defensive when someone says that Alter Bridge is Creed with a new lead singer. Well ... listen to the song again. I'd say that sound about right.

I second that! And like Teri mentioned before: that's maybe why I like it so much! Because they sound "creedish"... although I have to say that I'm very happy with Myles voice as well.

Can't wait to hear Scott Stapp's sound now!

Maybe we'll get Creedish music times 2!

What more can we wish for??? LOL!!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 06-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Alter Shredder
USER INFO »
at times it does sound heavier like in the chorus, but maybe thats just me
but i also the tremo sound, so yeah, im not complaining, i want to hear the rest of the album, especially metallingus.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #8
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedlvr) I thought it sounded exactly like My Sacrifice in the very beginning. I realize that Mark is writing the music ... so obviously, his style is his style. That's why it is somewhat expected that it will sound like Creed.

On the other hand, I thought that Mark and Scott were "going in different directions" and that Mark preferred a slightly heavier sound. To me, there is nothing "heavier" about this song. It is very Creedish sounding. A lot of people seem to get defensive when someone says that Alter Bridge is Creed with a new lead singer. Well ... listen to the song again. I'd say that sounds about right.

I thought the same thing. I was rather stunned when it was as radio-friendly and Creedish as it was.

I kind of felt the same way about the hype of the Weathered album. They all kept saying there were extreme highs and lows - well the only extremes were Bullets and Lullaby. Tracks 5-10 all sounded about the same (of the same breed as Higher and WAWO). And then there's WGMB.

I just hope that on the Alter Bridge album there is harder stuff that's different from Creed.

Edited to note that I do like the song though.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
RockGoddess
USER INFO »
Quote: i think people need to realize that it's not so much a creed sound as it is a Mark Tremonti sound.

I totally agree. And maybe the "going in different directions" was about more than than just the music.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
Jez
USER INFO »
It's OK if people think it sounds like Creed as opposed to just Tremonti's sound/style and vice versa. IMO, they are one and the same (until I hear otherwise), no matter what label you want to put on it. The perception of sound is unique to each individual listener.

Back to the topic.... I think Mark's voice sounds great on this track. I hope what he's done in the studio will translate just as well onstage.

Creed~~Bullets
Old 06-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #11
TremontiRx
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jez) It's OK if people think it sounds like Creed as opposed to just Tremonti's sound/style and vice versa. IMO, they are one and the same (until I hear otherwise), no matter what label you want to put on it. The perception of sound is unique to each individual listener.

Back to the topic.... I think Mark's voice sounds great on this track. I hope what he's done in the studio will translate just as well onstage.

I completely agree, Stace. I can't understand why all these "Creed fans" are so offended by similar musical sounds. It'll be interesting to see these same people's reactions to Stapp's material. Will *he* not sound like Creed?
Old 06-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
Agent D
USER INFO »
It's a great song and I love it. As for Mark's comments about the music being heavier, I do recall Michael saying that Alter Bridge's first single was going to be "Higher"-esque so that it would radio-friendly. I'm sure their other songs will be heavier.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
dekand
USER INFO »
The song is great, Mark's sound will always be his sound, and guys realize... it is 3/4ths of Creed... so its GOING to sound a lot like Creed. I am very pleased with Myles' voice as well, he seems to have great range and control and it fits very well. I am so enthused to hear the rest of the album and i was biting my fingernails before i listend to Open your eyes the first time, kinda like when we all first heard My Sacrifice ... but they never cease to amaze me... and that solo , its finally coming out, im so proud haha... lets just hope theres a lot more where that came from.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #14
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) It's a great song and I love it. As for Mark's comments about the music being heavier, I do recall Michael saying that Alter Bridge's first single was going to be "Higher"-esque so that it would radio-friendly. I'm sure their other songs will be heavier.

Ah yes, you are right. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #15
Agent D
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by rabidgopher04) Ah yes, you are right. Thanks for the reminder.

No problemo.