++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
revisfoot
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
A Blackbird Review

This album is completely different from One Day Remains. It is much heavier, a lot more "metal" in points, and you can tell that Myles has been given a lot more songwriting leverage; you can even hear it in "Rise Today" -- that breakdown in the bridge sounds like Myles' old stuff.

The album, in fact, does not slow down until about track 10, but even then, it picks right back up with a full-on face attack. Mark's guitar playing has really become a monster, and with both he and Myles shining through on this record, it's amazing. You can also hear Brian on this record, something that was definitely missing on ODR.

The title track is AMAZING. Really haunting. Even at 8 minutes, it's unbelievable. It's the pinnacle of the record, because it contains everything that we want from AB.

They left out the "I am not your new messiah and I will not take you higher" line in Come to Life, though, which I REALLY wanted to hear. Kind of like a finger straight to Wind-Up.

I give this album an 8.5 out of 10 and will for sure be known as Alter Bridge's resurrection album.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
RMadd
USER INFO »
Re: A Blackbird Review

I've listened to the whole thing as wel, and I agree 100% with you. It's definitely not as Creed-fan-friendly as ODR was. Even the 10th track, Watch Over You, isn't a dull, boring, slow-moving song. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. Blackbird, indeed, is a freaking amazing song. I can't stop listening to it, on my computer, in my car.... it's awesome awesome awesome stuff. If you don't like it, you're obviously a terrorist.

I hadn't heard about the line from Come to Life, but that would've been awesome. You couldn't put "Scott Stapp, take that, a-hole!" more bluntly, and it might've helped to distance the guys from the whole "Creed minus Scott Stapp" or "Creed with some other guy" labels.

It'll be a shame if a couple of the songs on here don't get adequate airplay (it's too bad we'll never hear Blackbird in all its glory on the FM dial, anyway...). If you were on the fence about buying this album first thing Tuesday morning, don't be. Go out and get some!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Evil_wizzzard
USER INFO »

Pardon me, but the blackbird album is not very impressive or at best it´s just an average cd. Nothing special and definetly not the changer of the rockmusic history. In my opinion there is a pair of good songs (Rise Today, Come to Life) and thats about it. After ODR was hoping for something better.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
titan9
USER INFO »

I think Blackbird is an album that grows on you with every listen. You can't judge it by one or two listens--you have to give it at least 4 or 5 to form a solid opinion of the CD.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Evil_wizzzard) In my opinion there is a pair of good songs (Rise Today, Come to Life) and thats about it. After ODR was hoping for something better.

IMO, Rise Today is among the weaker songs on the album. I liked the heavier songs from ODR (the title track, Metalingus, The End Is Here, Find the Real, Watch Your Words), and Blackbird leans more in that direction. I think that's why most people here seem to approve of it more.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
titan9
USER INFO »

"Rise Today" is definitely not among the best tracks on the CD, but is still a pretty good track in its own right. I actually like it a lot.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
J.T.
USER INFO »

The best tracks on the album, imo, are Brand New Start, Wayward One, Blackbird, White Knuckles, One By One...oh forget it, all of them. =D
Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Tremontixriffs
USER INFO »

Okay,
Here is my official review of the new Alter Bridge Blackbird CD. Before I say anything I was one of those ex creed fans who thought that when Creed broke up and Mark and company recruited Kennedy that it was all over. I really loved the guitarwork on One day remains but it seemed like alot of the songs were 80's in sound and while I loved them musically I reall only dug a few of Myles songs as Alter Bridge's frontman, those being metalingus and Find the real. This new album has totally given me a new opinion of Myles talents as a vocalist and I love the new direction Alter Bridge has gone in. Gone are the somewhat annoying 80's oohss and ahhs that Myles went a little overboard on. This album really rocks! Although Rise Today is their first single it really does not do this album justice. It is more of a carryover song from One Day remains. The rest of this album is unbelievable. My favorite songs are Come Alive, White nuckles, Blackbird, and Buried Alive while One by one and Wayward one are quite good. Mark's Guitar and Kennedy's sound have finally come together to give us what is to this date their collective best ! The riffs and shredding are rediculous. The guitar solos on this album are alone enough to make any fan of metal /Rock buy it. As I said Myles is truly amazing vocally on this and as much of a fan of Scott Stapp I was when they were creed it is evident that he is capable of so much more vocally than Scott could ever dream. So I give this album 4 out of 5 stars and reccomend that you pick it up !
In my mind
I won't lie
It took some time

But I know one thing
It took me away from
All the things love gave me
So I have to let things go...

I can go another round
Despite you.....

I'm still healing...
No I'm not real and
Yes I'm feeling...
This is my fight song

Scott Stapp "FIGHT SONG"
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #9
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan

Quick summary of my opinon:

Its what I was expecting and hoping...

Big leap from ODR

Guitar is hard rock leaning on metal sounds. (more prevelent than ODR)

hints of 70's classic rock, metal
a small hint of 80's metal

darker tone overall but yet still somewhat postive

Rise Today is the odd song out

Good overall unifing tone through out the album. Its more album (arena) rock-orenitate less radio-orientated

Scott's druming is clearly harder, heavier, better

Brian is more notacable and that very good. He does good no matter what. (especially on track 14: The Damage Done -- almost brian all the way)

Myles vocals a lot better this time

Favs so far (all songs are good):
Blackbird (it floored me, its just mindblowing...)
Wayward One
Before Tomorrow Comes
Brand New Start

One by One seems to be tribute to the troops fighting the war...which nice and the song is awesome

(and yes I am actually going to spend money to buy the actual album when it comes out tuesday)

Last edited by Unforgiven Fan : 10-08-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #10
Chris98GT
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by revisfoot) This album is completely different from One Day Remains. It is much heavier, a lot more "metal" in points, and you can tell that Myles has been given a lot more songwriting leverage; you can even hear it in "Rise Today" -- that breakdown in the bridge sounds like Myles' old stuff.

The album, in fact, does not slow down until about track 10, but even then, it picks right back up with a full-on face attack. Mark's guitar playing has really become a monster, and with both he and Myles shining through on this record, it's amazing. You can also hear Brian on this record, something that was definitely missing on ODR.

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) It's definitely not as Creed-fan-friendly as ODR was.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!!!! Now I really can't wait!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Thanks for all the reviews, everyone! I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow .
Old 10-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #12
The Lithium
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by revisfoot) that breakdown in the bridge sounds like Myles' old stuff.
About that, it just struck me the other day that Before Tomorrow Comes sounds a little like Mayfied Four.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
titan9
USER INFO »

^ Yes, it does bare some resemblance to MF4. Which is a good thing. It makes the CD more diverse. You have your hard stuff and your ballads. It's cool.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
TheGreatDivide
USER INFO »

Heres My official review

Ties that Bind - Lyrically its solid and can stand by itself, musically the riffs and beats are beyond Creed & ODR. Mark's playing is one that I've waited for all these years and even though in Creed he pulled some brilliant moves... something told me he was capable of more and this shows it

Come to Life - Lyrically not impressed but that could change over the years.. musically pleasing to the ears.

Brand New Start - This song goes beyond anything capable words.. it truly puts me in awe. I can't describe how I really feel about it

Buried Alive - Same as Come to Life not getting my lyrically but musically I feel it

Coming Home - Kinda of a downer.. not really what I expected because of the title.. just not feeling this one

Before Tomorrow Comes - Got me musically but lyrically not what I wanted

Rise Today - Soft while powerful, love it

Blackbird - Now this is what I call a masterpiece... I feel the love & devotion thats put into this song.. literally I feel the wind carrying me

One by One - This is what I was expecting.. nice and loud

Watch Over You - This is truly a blessing to hear, if I ever meet them I'm going to thank them for this song.. sheer brilliance

Break Me Down - I feel the sound but not the words

White Knuckles - Just how I imagine it would sound... heavy!

Wayward One - Guitar sounds good.. not to fast or to slow starting off. But sadly not lyrically there

The Damage Done - Bass all the way & guitar work powerful. Lyrics not to bad, didn't grad right off but I could get use to it

New Way to Live - Like the sound of it but its to TEIH lyrically.. never got into that song

Overall the album is a different turn from that of ODR and as time goes by these songs will find a place in each of our lives one way or another. Before I forget Scott & Myles are both par on my expectations. Rather you agree with this review is up to you.. just remember this is my opinion & I would like feedback.
I swear I still believe though I don't know - Words Darker Then Their Wings
Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Ok, granted, I've only given it one listen, but I'd have to say it's up and down for me. Lyrically, it's lacking and it seems to repeat a lot of the themes from ODR. Musically, I like it better than ODR, though some of the music sounded very safe. I'd really like them to push the envelope at some point, but I don't know if that will happen. There are some nice vocal touches from Myles and different-sounding guitar solos from Mark. I really noticed the bass this time, and it's about freakin' time!