++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #46
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: I love Tremonti

Quote: (Originally Posted by StappsSaviour) uncertaindrummer...is just a smart ass... there r always some on everypost site...

?? I don't even understand this. So because I don't bow down before Tremonti and say everything he has ever done is gold, I am a "smart ass"? That's brilliant, man, just brilliant.

Quote: but i must say this one thing...
i think the reason behind people loving ILM is because of their own personal experiences and its something that they can relate to...
i know that i can...

First of all... not that many people love ILM. Only AB fans like it, and not all AB fans like it, so... that isn't a ton of people, unfortunately.

Second, I agree. I think a lot of people can relate to losing someone, and the simplicity of the song appeals to someone in pain. But... that doesn't make the song objectively good, it makes it pleasing to those who can relate. Which is probably all he was looking for when he wrote it anyway.

Quote: and there are not many songs like that that are so good in the Rock genre anymore...

There aren't many good songs in the rock genre, period.

Quote: u go and have your opinions uncertaindrummer

Okay. I will.

Quote: just know that there are things that people can do about it

Like what? All you guys have been able to do is call me names. Maybe I would change my opinions if anyone ever backed anything up. Instead, you just throw ad hominems out there and run.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #47
MissSeeker
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by StappsSaviour) james hetfield?
really?
that is rather interesting... i think that Kirk Hammet is a million times better than him
really because James is the rhythm guitarist not lead...
[/b]

I didn't know Kirk Hammet was the lead guitarist so I guess I meant him.

"...in the frozen night I prayed, for a touch of warmth so long delayed...
Old 10-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #48
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

^Yeah. Hetfield is the vocalist.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #49
Robin101
USER INFO »

Uncertain, it had to be you caught in the middle of a multi-page arguement that's slowly spiralling out of control!!

I respect your knowledge but I have to disagree with you on a few points - just a difference of opinion.

I wouldn't consider Burn It Down to be Mark's best attempt at songwriting. Any song that begins with the lyric 'Drank so much last night I think that I drowned' can't be going in the right direction. The chorus is pretty decent though.

I'd consider Metalingus and, yes, In Loving Memory to be his best attempts. They wouldn't win any awards for creativity but they are strong and to the point - you know where he's coming from.

Overall, his lyrics are not great but this was his first attempt at writing a full album and I expect the best is yet to come. He does have a unique way of constructing songs lyrically. I'm pretty sure he wrote Torn from My Own Prison. Look at the writing style of that song and it's very similar to those on ODR.

I'm actually a bigger fan of Mark's work in Creed. I love the intricate (if that's the right word) intros to songs like Torn, What's This Life For, One Last Breath and What If. I agree with you regarding his contribution to songs like Bullets and Unforgiven - a great song (even lyrically, I think you would agree - Mr Stapp deserves a pat on the back for that one?).

I had to laugh at the comment about your good self trying to turn this into an AB Vs Stapp thread. We all know you're Stapp's biggest fan!! Are the rumours true that you have his name tatooed on your forehead?

Stapp a loser...I have to disagree with you on that one.

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 10-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #50
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Robin101) Uncertain, it had to be you caught in the middle of a multi-page arguement that's slowly spiralling out of control!!

Finally someone who was here back when I was, heh

Quote: I respect your knowledge but I have to disagree with you on a few points - just a difference of opinion.

Which is perfectly understandable. I don't want everyone to agree with me on everything.

Well... yes I do, but I don't expect it, at the very least

Quote: I wouldn't consider Burn It Down to be Mark's best attempt at songwriting. Any song that begins with the lyric 'Drank so much last night I think that I drowned' can't be going in the right direction. The chorus is pretty decent though.

You are correct, that line sucks. I was actually thinking more of the instrumental writing than the lyrics. As I have said, I think his lyrical work on ODR is abysmal.

Quote: I'd consider Metalingus and, yes, In Loving Memory to be his best attempts. They wouldn't win any awards for creativity but they are strong and to the point - you know where he's coming from.

Well Metalingus is the archetype for what Mark is great at. Powerful riffs. In terms of the lyrics... meh. I don't think they are terrible, but they certainly aren't particularly good.

As for ILM... I can tell when a song's writing isn't very good when I love it the first time, like it the second time, am indifferent to it the third time, and slowly start hating it. Point being that writing should hold up to constant listenings, not wilt under repetition. The problem is that he is so repetative as it is that after you listen to it a few times, I'm just like "ugggggghhhh"

Quote: Overall, his lyrics are not great but this was his first attempt at writing a full album and I expect the best is yet to come. He does have a unique way of constructing songs lyrically. I'm pretty sure he wrote Torn from My Own Prison. Look at the writing style of that song and it's very similar to those on ODR.

I definitely hope his lyrics get better, but I'd rather have Myles write some, heh. I will never say there is no hope for anyone at improving their writing, he just seems to be strong in other places. As for Torn, I really like that song. It is too long, but it is great. It is a little over five minutes, but that is indulgent. There is not enough material in the song to last that long. However, the song itself has some great points of note, they just strung it out too long.

Quote: I'm actually a bigger fan of Mark's work in Creed. I love the intricate (if that's the right word) intros to songs like Torn, What's This Life For, One Last Breath and What If. I agree with you regarding his contribution to songs like Bullets and Unforgiven - a great song (even lyrically, I think you would agree - Mr Stapp deserves a pat on the back for that one?).

In terms of writing intros... He is terrific. I mean, really, his intros are fantastic. Actually, now that I think about it, if he would write the verses the way he writes his intros, he would make a huge step in the right direction. For instance, in One Last Breath, (a song which, unfortunately, Stapp ruins and the chorus is factory made) the verse is exceptional on the guitar. He plays an intricate finger picking pattern that is absolutely remarkable, given his status quo verses on other songs. If he would do more of that... *drools*

The problem is that he gives up after the intro. Like, I don't know if maybe Stapp didn't like singing to more complicated stuff (maybe he couldnt--he is not particularly talented, after all), or what, but Mark seems to have gotten into the habit of dumbing all his songs down (part of this is, of course, the movement in Creed's attitude from being good to being popular), and in AB, where he no longer has to do that, he just seems to be doing it on instinct. Hopefully that changes, because he has the chops to play anything, Myles can sing to anything, and they have plenty of potential. They just need to add creativity to their bag of tricks.

As for unforgiven... I am having trouble recalling the lyrics at the moment, but I liked Creed in the MOP days. They were good. Sure, they had some clunkers (what's this life for, the title track, one), but the majority of that album was good. Sure, Scott's lyrics were boring and often preachy but sometimes he got a few good things in there, like unforgiven if I remember correctly. And unforgiven is a great song; along with Bullets, it is another fast, heavy, unrelenting riffage style song. Just the kind of songs I say Mark has a particular aptitude for.

Quote: I had to laugh at the comment about your good self trying to turn this into an AB Vs Stapp thread. We all know you're Stapp's biggest fan!! Are the rumours true that you have his name tatooed on your forehead?

Lol, I know... I was... dumbfounded by that comment.

Quote: Stapp a loser...I have to disagree with you on that one.

Meh, do as you will. I think *most* stars are losers. Part of the reason I stick w/ Alter Bridge is that they seem to be pretty upstanding guys. Maybe they aren't and it is all a facade, but the facts point otherwise.

I won't hate a band/musician for being terrible role models, but I will usually like them more if they aren't.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #51
titan9
USER INFO »

Alright, I haven't followed this thread all the way through, but thought I'd toss in my two cents.

First off, I'd like to say that Uncertain has made some very valid points(some of which I agree with, some of which I don't, heh).

As much as I love Mark's songs and his ability as a guitarist, it would be foolish of me to say that he is as good, ability-wise, as a Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson or even Yngwie Malmsteem. Those are four of the greatest guitarists alive. Heck, I don't even think Mark ranks in the top 15 of greatest guitarists alive. Don't get me wrong--Mark is a very good guitarist with the potential to be one of the greats, but he has a ways to go before anyone can validly say he is one of the greatest guitarists alive.

Mark has written many awesome riffs, but there is room for improvement. Namely, when it comes to ballads. I feel Mark is capable of writing better ballads. "Broken Wings" is one of my least favorite songs on ODR. Not because of the lyrics or the intro(which is terrific). But because of the rest of the song. It bores me. I can't feel as much passion in the rest of the song.

Another thing that Mark needs to improve is his lyric writing. As a lyricist myself(and someone who appreciates great lyrics), I'm disappointed in Mark's lyrics. They're too generic, too lackluster. Mark's written some great lines(like the chorus to MOP) but, uh, the lyrics on ODR, as a whole, were subpar. I'm not talking about "Find The Real" or "In Loving Memory", but rather about the rest of the CD. I thinthink Mark needs to realize that, by himself, he really cannot write great lyrics. But when you combine him with another good lyricist, such as Stapp or Myles, you've got a great combination. This is why Creed was so good--they had a rock solid combo of Stapp's lyrics and Tremonti's riffs, as well as Brian's bass playing and Flip's drumming. This is why I'd like to see Myles writing more of the lyrics on the next album.

AB has the potential to become one of the best rock bands today. But not until they have better lyrics and better songs overall. ODR was a step toward the right direction, but there's definitely some stuff they can do to improve.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #52
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson or even Yngwie Malmsteem

Of those guys, Yngwie has the best chops. He picks notes faster than most guys can tap em.

Of course, he never wrote a decent song in his life. Speaking of which, Steve Vai is terrific in that area, as far as "super guitarists" like them go.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #53
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »

For me, it's all contrast. Tremonti isn't as musically skilled as Michael Angelo Batio or Eric Johnson, or as emotional as Hendrix or Stevie Ray, but
compared to Bowling for Soup and Simple Plan and "Gay Charlete" and all those other shitty bands, Creed and Ab sound genius.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #54
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Of those guys, Yngwie has the best chops. He picks notes faster than most guys can tap em.

Of course, he never wrote a decent song in his life. Speaking of which, Steve Vai is terrific in that area, as far as "super guitarists" like them go.

Yeah, out of those four, Yngwie is probably my favorite. I enjoy some of his songs, although they aren't amazing. He's got great technical ability, though.

But Tremo is probably my favorite guitarist overall, definitely my biggest influence. He's awesome. But I am not afraid to admit he's not the best guitarist around. However, like Secret pointed out, compared to BFS, he's a genius.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #55
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Yeah, out of those four, Yngwie is probably my favorite. I enjoy some of his songs, although they aren't amazing. He's got great technical ability, though.

But Tremo is probably my favorite guitarist overall, definitely my biggest influence. He's awesome. But I am not afraid to admit he's not the best guitarist around. However, like Secret pointed out, compared to BFS, he's a genius.

By that standard, *my* guitar playing is Hendrix-esque... lol

But he is definitely good. I would not listen to him if I didn't think he was talented.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #56
titan9
USER INFO »

^ Quite true. Gah, modern music sure does suck. I heard the latest Nickelcrap song today and my bro remarked "all their songs sound the exact same!" And people complained about Creed.....well, at least they HAD some talent. More than Nickelcrap can say for themselves. No one thought it'd get much worse after the Hanson boys came along, but it has. Outside of U2, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters and Audioslave, I can't think of many decent bands on radio. Radio is just filled with all these bands who really aren't good at their instruments, if they even play any instrument at all. I'm glad there are at least still some good musicians and bands out there--just wish there were more.

Side-note: The Titans FINALLY won another game today. 2-5 now, baby! Of course I'd like it a whole lot better if they were 5-2, but, eh, what are ya gonna do?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #57
GregS
USER INFO »

I have to say , the last couple of posts in this thread have been hilarious.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #58
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) ^ Quite true. Gah, modern music sure does suck. I heard the latest Nickelcrap song today and my bro remarked "all their songs sound the exact same!" And people complained about Creed.....well, at least they HAD some talent. More than Nickelcrap can say for themselves. No one thought it'd get much worse after the Hanson boys came along, but it has. Outside of U2, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters and Audioslave, I can't think of many decent bands on radio. Radio is just filled with all these bands who really aren't good at their instruments, if they even play any instrument at all. I'm glad there are at least still some good musicians and bands out there--just wish there were more.

Yeah. If asked, I would have mentioned those exact same bands. I also have really been impressed with RHCP lately, though. Their latest album was very good.

Quote: Side-note: The Titans FINALLY won another game today. 2-5 now, baby! Of course I'd like it a whole lot better if they were 5-2, but, eh, what are ya gonna do?

OH MY GOODNESS I AM A FORTUNE TELLER! On my sports blog, I wrote this a few weeks ago, and dang, it has proved true... sort of.

The real reason is that they played the Texans. Oh well. heh

(Side note: Now all those close losses are starting to itch. Had the Titans managed to pull out victories in their losses against Miami and Indy, they would be 4-3!)

Last edited by uncertaindrumer : 10-30-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #59
kris21
USER INFO »

mark rules!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #60
bilal
USER INFO »

Tremonti !!!!!!!