++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 12-14-2002, 11:28 PM   #1
souldancer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Power of music!

...for all ages! I went Christmas caroling today. Couple dozen of us, two guitarists, one drummer, a few young children and one black lab. We visited a retirement and convalescent home. Everyone on this board knows the power of music - but it was amazing to see faces and bodies that were dull, lifeless transformed by hearing the music. The residents also appreciated human contact, as many of these folks live isolated lives with no/few family visitors. They enjoyed having their hands held, petting the dog, shaking some bells or a tambourine for those that could. Some could remember the words and joined in; others enjoyed clapping and moving their feet to the vibrations. These age-old songs brought back memories of their childhood and some joyful tears were shed. It would be great to continue sharing a music outreach program all through the year - what a way to connect with people and bring back their life force. Music truly is food for the soul - at any age! I am sure that many of you have had similar experiences. Make sure you and your loved ones do some singing this holiday season - around a piano, a fire, in the kitchen, under the stars - just be together and make music.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
That's awesome! I love Christmas carols, they make me feel so good!:-)
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 12-14-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
My oldest daughter did the same thing today (minus the Black Lab). She and her Daisy Girl Troop bagged up some homemade cookies and took them to an assisted living center. The little 5 year olds distributed the cookies and sang songs for the seniors, who were smiling, clapping and singing along. It was heartwarming to see the old and the young singing the same songs. Jenn was so touched by an older woman who gave her a hug and a kiss. It meant a lot to the adults and I think it really meant a lot to the kids too.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #4
JenRN
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by TeriB19
My oldest daughter did the same thing today (minus the Black Lab). She and her Daisy Girl Troop bagged up some homemade cookies and took them to an assisted living center. The little 5 year olds distributed the cookies and sang songs for the seniors, who were smiling, clapping and singing along. It was heartwarming to see the old and the young singing the same songs. Jenn was so touched by an older woman who gave her a hug and a kiss. It meant a lot to the adults and I think it really meant a lot to the kids too.

I had a same experience as a girl scout and THAT is what made me want to be a nurse! I had my mind made up when I was 10!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 12-14-2002, 11:45 PM   #5
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I was in chorus all through high school and that was an annual event. We'd pick a different nursing home or assisted living place and sing away for a good hour. It always made me feel so good to share the gift of music with anyone. My friends and I often went spur of the moment as well. One year, it was snowing out when we did it and it was just magical.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:29 AM   #6
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
cool!

the world needs people who still care for the others!
I´m happy for you!

Next Saturday I´m going to an abandoned children/orphans home... I hope it´s gonna be ok! We´re gonna take some toys to give the children, but we don´t know yet what we´re gonna do exactly... play with them, or singing, or a puppets show... if you wanna share some ideas, I´ll be glad and would really appreciate.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:00 AM   #7
souldancer
USER INFO »
That's wonderful - such a kind gift for others. Try to remember when you were that age - what made you happy. Wear something bright and fun. Get down at their level, make eye contact, say something nice about what they are wearing, their eye color, just to let them know you notice them. Tell them your name, and if OK.,.ask them theirs. Puppets would be really cool - soft cuddly, funny faced things with big eyes and mouths! Most like music and moving/dancing. Some animal shelters/humane offices have programs where people take animals out to homes/ Maybe that could happen at the same time - animals really bring smiles. Someone today had a digital camera/printer and took photos of the residents with Santa...they seemed to like that. You could use a polaroid. Also, be prepared for those that are withdrawn, greet them anyway, but don;t push it. Also, accept that you might feel some sadness afterwards for their situation - just acknowledge it and know you brought them joy that day and many bright memories to hold in their hearts.

I am sure the 'mom's on the board will have lots of great ideas for you.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:07 AM   #8
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »
I love Christmas Carols too, they remind me of christmas
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell
Old 12-15-2002, 10:10 AM   #9
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer
Get down at their level, make eye contact, say something nice about what they are wearing, their eye color, just to let them know you notice them. Tell them your name, and if OK.,.ask them theirs
Most like music and moving/dancing.  
Someone today had a digital camera/printer and took photos of the residents with Santa...they seemed to like that.  You could use a polaroid.  
I am sure the 'mom's on the board will have lots of great ideas for you.

Souldancer hit it right on the nose, kids love when you are down at their level making friendly conversation. They feel great when you get them involved and want to know about them. Pictures are a great idea, what kid doesn't like seeing pictures of themselves. And kids LOVE to dance and sing. If you have a Santa hat or Reindeer ears (they sell those here in our dollar stores) the kids will really respond well, especially if you let them wear them. Just getting them involved really makes a difference to them. Standing in front of them singing is one thing, but when they are invited to join in, they love it.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-15-2002, 12:03 PM   #10
marlsy
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by TeriB19

We are doing the same thing with my girls Junior girl scout troop this Wed. They made one hundred candycane reindeers to give out! I also did that when I was young and the experiance was really special, this one woman who was bed written asked us to sing her silent night and she cried when we did. It was so moving we were all crying by the end! We really made her night you could tell!! It was awsome! Something i will never forget!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by marlsy
We are doing the same thing with my girls Junior girl scout troop this Wed.  They made one hundred candycane reindeers to give out!  I also did that when I was young and the experiance was really special, this one woman who was bed written asked us to sing her silent night and she cried when we did.  It was so moving we were all crying by the end!  We really made her night you could tell!!  It was awsome!  Something i will never forget!

This is what I love about the holidays!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #12
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
great!!!
Thanks!!!

I´ll try to do all that! Coz I was afraid to feel completely lost between them, and that would be horrible...
Old 12-15-2002, 04:03 PM   #13
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
Quote: Originally posted by DangerousDan85
I love Christmas Carols too, they remind me of christmas

LOL really? they remind me of Easter
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 12-15-2002, 04:41 PM   #14
marlsy
USER INFO »
they remind me of valentines day!!!
Old 12-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #15
Sheila63
USER INFO »
What a great thread, soundancer!! The power of music is a wonderful thing. It's great to see people light up when we share part of ourselves. It helps them feel good but I know when I do something to help another person or group of people, it also makes me feel good too!! I think it's great to share some happiness and joy with other people whenever we can.

Relearn Love