++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Mr. Seeker
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Which is better for a beginner?.....

I have decided to take up guitar, but I'm not sure which type is easier to learn- acoustic or electric? I really want to learn Creed songs so would electric be best?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
GregS
USER INFO »
Re: Which is better for a beginner?.....

Well when i first started i took up electric & am happy i did. I found it easier than an acoustic.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
titan9
USER INFO »

If you want to learn Creed songs(and other rock songs), go with an Electric. Some good beginner Creed songs are "My Own Prison" and "Ode". Lots of Nirvana stuff(if you listen to them) is easy to learn. There's also the inevitable "Smoke On The Water".

But, if you really want to master technique(and really become a really, really good guitarist), I'd recommend starting off with Acoustic. If you can master the basics of Acoustic(scales, chords, strumming etc.) it'll make Electric that much easier to master. Be warned, though, that unless you find some music which interests you that involves the Acoustic, you could get burned out pretty quickly. This happened to me. Luckily, I found some stuff that interested me and that got me back into.

If you're looking for good, solid beginner guitars, check out Agile's guitars. You can get a solid Les Paul copy for $159. www.rondomusic.net is the place to order those guitars. I absolutely love my Agile.

When you're starting out, aim for 15 minutes of practice a day. Remember, it is more important to play 5 days in a row for 15 minutes per day than it is to play 3 hours once a week. Consistency is the key.

Some helpful lesson sites: guitar.about.com
ultimate-guitar.com.

If you have any other guitar questions, I'd be glad to help.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
bilal
USER INFO »

i guess titan said exactly what i wud have....even the sites he refered are the ones i might have...hehehe............and yeh....if u really wana master techniques......be more dexterous and clean.............go for accoustic and then after some time when u feel u can play atleast something...u can take a next step by going for an electric......and yeh.....if u like nirvana....do start with niravana songs as they are easy and have fair strumming patterns.......as far creed goes....try songs like one, WTLF, Torn, higher, WAWO .....................

good luck!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan

Quote: But, if you really want to master technique(and really become a really, really good guitarist), I'd recommend starting off with Acoustic. If you can master the basics of Acoustic(scales, chords, strumming etc.) it'll make Electric that much easier to master. Be warned, though, that unless you find some music which interests you that involves the Acoustic, you could get burned out pretty quickly. This happened to me. Luckily, I found some stuff that interested me and that got me back into.

"To implement master techniques one must aquire a classical guitar, learn to finger pick, and like classical music" as my old music teacher would say.

but acoustic guitars are better for beginners because it limits the chance of you being trapped by the distortion and other effects that the electric guitar has to offer.

Last edited by Unforgiven Fan : 04-08-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Mark has told people it's best to learn on acoustic first. Take that for what it's worth. I hear the guy has a little talent.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
shiver
USER INFO »

I would def. go with acoustic first. Just buy a good one. I had a cheap acoustic to start off with and it almost made me quit. First off learn what you can about buying a guitar, that's really important.

I sorta have a question of my own. I took lessons for a couple of years, but I sorta slacked off and didn't pay too good attention. I have trouble being able to read from a book and be able to just understand and learn this stuff. I still don't know all the terms, and so that's what throws me off. Cuz then I have to look up what this term is, and then they describe it by using others terms I dunno and so on and so on...Anyways, does anybody know a good guitar site (and please don't say about.guitar.com) that uses simple language, and is good at teaching?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) If you're looking for good, solid beginner guitars, check out Agile's guitars. You can get a solid Les Paul copy for $159. www.rondomusic.net is the place to order those guitars. I absolutely love my Agile.

My dad dropped off my Agile AL-3000 at my dorm today. I played it for about 2 straight hours, its awesome. sucks i dont have an amp here, but i was dying to see it. I heard about them over at the ultimate-guitar forums. i'm glad i did otherwise i would have probably paid more for an epiphone les paul of lesser quality. mine is cherry sunburst.

btw, stupid question, but how do you pronounce Agile. is just "agile" (ie: he is very agile on his feet)
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
bilal
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by shiver) ...Anyways, does anybody know a good guitar site (and please don't say about.guitar.com) that uses simple language, and is good at teaching?

hey bro..... check out the site www.actoguitar.com

also check out www.freeguitarvideos.com for video lessons.....................thought u wont find anything on theory but good guiatar lessons on videos!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
LeftOfTheMurder
USER INFO »

musiciansfriend.com is nice, too.

I would say start on the electric because it will be easier to physically play (thinner strings, etc.) It also soudns a lot more bad ass than an acoustic, obviously. haha.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
GregS
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) If you want to learn Creed songs(and other rock songs), go with an Electric. Some good beginner Creed songs are "My Own Prison" and "Ode". Lots of Nirvana stuff(if you listen to them) is easy to learn. There's also the inevitable "Smoke On The Water".

But, if you really want to master technique(and really become a really, really good guitarist), I'd recommend starting off with Acoustic. If you can master the basics of Acoustic(scales, chords, strumming etc.) it'll make Electric that much easier to master. Be warned, though, that unless you find some music which interests you that involves the Acoustic, you could get burned out pretty quickly. This happened to me. Luckily, I found some stuff that interested me and that got me back into.

If you're looking for good, solid beginner guitars, check out Agile's guitars. You can get a solid Les Paul copy for $159. www.rondomusic.net is the place to order those guitars. I absolutely love my Agile.

When you're starting out, aim for 15 minutes of practice a day. Remember, it is more important to play 5 days in a row for 15 minutes per day than it is to play 3 hours once a week. Consistency is the key.

Some helpful lesson sites: guitar.about.com
ultimate-guitar.com.

If you have any other guitar questions, I'd be glad to help.

Ye when i first picked up guitar i was a huge nirvana fan... First riff i learnt was come as you are , then went onto lithium , teen spirit etc. Smoke on water also very easy , same with the creed songs mentioned. pretty fun to play!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
metalchris25
USER INFO »

acoustics are much better to learn on because you can't hide behind the distortion of an electric and it forces you to be accurate which will come in handy when you pick up an electric. Electrics are fun because of all the effects you can apply, though, so you may consider an electric/acoustic. I have a Morgan Monroe Journeyman and I love the tone whether I'm playing electric or unplugged.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #13
Mr. Seeker
USER INFO »

Thanks a lot guys, the info has really helped.....
Old 04-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Xterminator27
USER INFO »

It really depends what your looking to get from your guitar playing.

I would suggest having both an acoustic and al electric and switching between the two, that way you can have a good feel for both of them.
The acoustic is a lot harder to play in comparison to the electric, and I find the electric more fun. However the acoustic has better tone and you dont need an amp exc. And if you can play something on an acoustic, its easy as ever for the electric.

#1 thing about playing guitar, is that its easy and anyone can do anything on it if they put the time and effort in it. If you just keep at it, and dont fluff off, you can pretty much learn any style any speed any kind (over time). At the start I would suggest doing both but more electric because I found it more rewarding then acoustic (since I could play my favorite creed songs).

Ive been playing for 3.5+ years now and after all the bumps and problems I can crap out most of anything I want on both types of guitar, just make sure you dont stick to one style of music and try many.

(I play mostly rock/metal, but I also play alot of blues/classical.)
I find rock/metal alot more fun and energetic and well FUN, but when you want to do those improvisation solos you cant beat the blues. And when you want those complicated awsome sounding songs, Classical beats everything.

Just make sure you turn that distortion off most the time and dont rely on it to cover your mistakes.

Then shut the hell up and eat your damn lemons!

BUY MY MERCHANDISE
http://www.cafepress.com/xterminator27
Old 04-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by DangerousDan85) My dad dropped off my Agile AL-3000 at my dorm today. I played it for about 2 straight hours, its awesome. sucks i dont have an amp here, but i was dying to see it. I heard about them over at the ultimate-guitar forums. i'm glad i did otherwise i would have probably paid more for an epiphone les paul of lesser quality. mine is cherry sunburst.

btw, stupid question, but how do you pronounce Agile. is just "agile" (ie: he is very agile on his feet)

Yeah, I've got an Agile AL-2000 Silverburst. It's my first Electric guitar and I'm very, very happy with it. I don't have an amp of my own yet(that's coming this week), but I was able to test it on my Dad's Johnson practice amp. It sounded darn good. The sustain is really, really awesome.

As for pronunciation......I pronounce it the way you described. I'm pretty sure that is the correct way, but don't quote me on that.

Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) Mark has told people it's best to learn on acoustic first. Take that for what it's worth. I hear the guy has a little talent.

Yes, he has very little talent. My 5 year old niece could outplay him.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!