++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
pricey.21
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: best chorus?

Am i the only 1 who's favourate album is weathered?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by josha31042) Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad.
I was about to recommend that myself.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Top 3 for me right now...

1. A Thousand Faces
2. Fear
3. Away In Silence

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #19
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed009) "Weathered" was by far the worst album that Creed ever put out. The hard songs they put out like "Bullets" and "Freedom Fighter" had no melody at all and were simply screamers. I'm glad that this album is shaping up to be nothing like Weathered. From what I can tell, the songs on this CD are going to be great, and it could end up being their best CD ever.

bullets and freedom fighter had no melody? just because its not the gay melody that you hear on the radio doesn't mean it isn't melody. there is such a thing as instrumental melody in case you didn't know... some of us actually enjoy hearing a guitar riff.. there really wasn't any screaming in either of those songs also, scott stapp has never really done that. Weathered had some shoe-in singles, but it was a pretty ballsy album.. an 8 minute epic featuring 2 minutes of indian chants... their heaviest song to date starts the album, and their slowest song to date ends it.

it was by far the most dynamic album they made. a lot of people can't be happy with it because they want every song to sound the same for some reason people can't accept too much variety in their music.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by creediscool17) bullets and freedom fighter had no melody? just because its not the gay melody that you hear on the radio doesn't mean it isn't melody. there is such a thing as instrumental melody in case you didn't know... some of us actually enjoy hearing a guitar riff.. there really wasn't any screaming in either of those songs also, scott stapp has never really done that. Weathered had some shoe-in singles, but it was a pretty ballsy album.. an 8 minute epic featuring 2 minutes of indian chants... their heaviest song to date starts the album, and their slowest song to date ends it.

it was by far the most dynamic album they made. a lot of people can't be happy with it because they want every song to sound the same for some reason people can't accept too much variety in their music.
I actually agree with you on this. Very good points. The only time I think Stapp has ever 'screamed' on an album was on his solo act in the song "reach out". he received mixed reactions for it though.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Technically the first line of bullets after the spoken intro was screamed, but he could never ACTUALLY do it except maybe the first time they played it live lol.

I agree with creediscool as well, it's ballsy to put that much range on an album. Lullaby was trashed for the longest time as a "non-song" on the album.

To be able to start with Bullets and end with Lullaby and have the album actually flow decently is an accomplishment in my book, the fact that it was commercially successful is even more of an accomplishment.

What i loved about the Weathered album was without even knowing what the singles were, i got hooked on One Last Breath and Don't Stop Dancing immediately upon my first listen through. Sure they (especially OLB) became overplayed singles, but in the time before that they were some really amazing songs.

Personally i hated Scott's solo album, he was flat out...well...flat in some songs (Reach Out was the worst), but the lyrics and melodies in comparison were just mundane compared to the worst of his creed songs (in my opinion anyway).

The only song i even got close to thinking was decent was Surround Me, and that was only for the lyrics in the verses. Other than that it was just meh.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #22
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

^I'm with ya. I thought "The Great Divide" & "Relearn Love" we're Scott's best solo songs vocally & melodically though. I think if he had used better musicians & not done so much damage to his voice while recording it, I think it could have turned out pretty decent.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

One thing stapp has never been able to learn until perhaps now is what his limits are as a vocalist.

I would love to be able to sing as high as Myles can. Sometimes i play around with it in my writing, but at the end of the day i know that my voice doesn't sound good up there and it's definitely not healthy for me to be singing it, so i don't do it.

A smart writer has to sit down after he finishes a song and say "ok, can i sing this 8 times a week and still be able to do it again the next week without needing a shot of prednizone in my neck"

You can't tell me Stapp sat down after writing the chorus and especially the bridge of One Last Breath and said "yeah, no problem". (well maybe he did, but he SHOULDNT have is my point).

If you listen to some of the songs on the cd's and then listen to him live, it's clear that they either pitch adjusted his voice or he was onyl able to hit it once every blue moon.

It's sort of the plague of rock vocalists who aren't trained. It's 50/50. They either have vocal chords of steel that just will not break down no matter what they do, or they write out of their range, strain their vocal chords, and then trash their voices in 5-6 years.

Very few actually think of the longevity of their careers. The first sign of intelligence Stapp has shown in this regard was to downtune the set for the tour. He still doesnt sing half the notes of the recorded versions of the songs, to which i say "then why write it in a way you can't sing it live?"

It's IMO the main reason they brough ERock on the tour, not to give tremonti support on rhythm, tremo is a beast and if the shit hit the fan he could cover rhythm and lead like he used to. They brough ERock on to sing backup on the parts that Stapp can't hit. That high vocal line in the recorded version of Overcome that Stapp sings, he can't sing live, so ERock does.

Ironically, the songs that sound the best are the ones that Stapp wrote to actually fit his vocal range. A Thousand Faces is by leaps and bounds my favorite song, but that's because Stapp wrote his vocal line lower in his register where he can get some power behind it and let Tremonti sing the high part because he CAN and SOUNDS GOOD there.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #24
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Icedmofo) One thing stapp has never been able to learn until perhaps now is what his limits are as a vocalist.

I would love to be able to sing as high as Myles can. Sometimes i play around with it in my writing, but at the end of the day i know that my voice doesn't sound good up there and it's definitely not healthy for me to be singing it, so i don't do it.

A smart writer has to sit down after he finishes a song and say "ok, can i sing this 8 times a week and still be able to do it again the next week without needing a shot of prednizone in my neck"

You can't tell me Stapp sat down after writing the chorus and especially the bridge of One Last Breath and said "yeah, no problem". (well maybe he did, but he SHOULDNT have is my point).

If you listen to some of the songs on the cd's and then listen to him live, it's clear that they either pitch adjusted his voice or he was onyl able to hit it once every blue moon.

It's sort of the plague of rock vocalists who aren't trained. It's 50/50. They either have vocal chords of steel that just will not break down no matter what they do, or they write out of their range, strain their vocal chords, and then trash their voices in 5-6 years.

Very few actually think of the longevity of their careers. The first sign of intelligence Stapp has shown in this regard was to downtune the set for the tour. He still doesnt sing half the notes of the recorded versions of the songs, to which i say "then why write it in a way you can't sing it live?"

It's IMO the main reason they brough ERock on the tour, not to give tremonti support on rhythm, tremo is a beast and if the shit hit the fan he could cover rhythm and lead like he used to. They brough ERock on to sing backup on the parts that Stapp can't hit. That high vocal line in the recorded version of Overcome that Stapp sings, he can't sing live, so ERock does.

Ironically, the songs that sound the best are the ones that Stapp wrote to actually fit his vocal range. A Thousand Faces is by leaps and bounds my favorite song, but that's because Stapp wrote his vocal line lower in his register where he can get some power behind it and let Tremonti sing the high part because he CAN and SOUNDS GOOD there.
Again agree lol I don't know if you've seen/heard the Delray show but he was ON that show with little error...it was basically the Stapp of old imo. so I still have faith he can recover...I'm just still shocked he went from sounding so great to sounding so FLAT in a few months. At least he's a little wiser, working with a coach now & attempting to use technique.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Icedmofo) One thing stapp has never been able to learn until perhaps now is what his limits are as a vocalist.

absolutely... im already noticing on the new material from what we've heard that stapp has far beyond pushed his limits... some of the stuff i've heard is just bad, and im talking in the studio, not live. it's like hes trying too hard or something... it was best said when i heard "overcome" should of been called "overdone"... stapp nails the chorus in that song thanks to auto-tune, but the versus sound so off... "ill be damned fighting you" line is just too much, it sounds odd.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
rangers41394
USER INFO »

my favorite chorus/clip is definitely a 1000 faces no doubt about...i think it has the potential to be up there with best creeds songs of all time i cant wait to here the entire thing...however full circle sounded pretty good...compared to what it sounded like live...i think it was just an absolute total mess live but thats my opinion...but i think the studio version will win alot of fans over...bread of shame is definitely one of their heavier songs and i kind of like that...going down a different route...i think it sounds pretty good and i love tremonitis riffs in it...now ive listened to the on my sleeve clip and i gotta say im am really digging that chorus...i think it might be really catchy...of course you still gotta listen to the entire song but so far i like it...might be my favorite behind 1000 faces...suddenly sounds just alright...i dont know still gotta here more of it...songs that are just not doing it for me are fear and good fight...dont think they have a catchy/good chorus at all...sorry jarod i know u like fear but just doesnt float my boat...but overall it will probably be a good album...cant wait to hear the entire songs...then we can judge!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #27
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by creediscool17) absolutely... im already noticing on the new material from what we've heard that stapp has far beyond pushed his limits... some of the stuff i've heard is just bad, and im talking in the studio, not live. it's like hes trying too hard or something... it was best said when i heard "overcome" should of been called "overdone"... stapp nails the chorus in that song thanks to auto-tune, but the versus sound so off... "ill be damned fighting you" line is just too much, it sounds odd.
I would like proof that he uses auto-tune otherwise that is just BS. Go listen to lil wayne or kanye west, they use auto-tune and you can tell because their voice sounds like computers. Stapp doesnt sound like that at all. So unless you can back up your claim that he uses it, then this is just stapp bashing to me.

I'll agree that his voice is not the same as it was and that maybe he can only hit some notes every once in a while. Maybe those notes are really hard for him to hit and singing live certainly is not going to help. But stapp, to me anyways, has to much self-respect as a singer to use auto-tune. And personally, I'd rather seem him retire before he gets to the point where he needs to use it. Because I also have much respect for him as a singer.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

They are auto tuning nagpo, i hate to say it. I wish i could get into the album tech stuff to prove it, all i can really go by is my ear.

It's hard for me to describe what the sound of pitch correction is in a recording. There is the way too much pitch correction like on kanye and stuff, but when they do it in pop and rock it's a little more subtle.

The only way to really describe it is that the voice just sounds TOO pure and it has a weird mix quality to it. If you listen to stapp's live voice and then listen to the AOL sessions, the AOL sessions are rife with pitch correction, even tremonti never sounds like that and he's usually on his game pitch wise.

They layer his voice a bit in the album to hide it, but it's definitely pitch corrected. Honestly, the best proof of this is that he can't even come close to hitting many of the pitches live.

I don't mean to say this to bash stapp, but it's the truth and sometimes the truth blows.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #29
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Definitely hard to explain but it's being used Nagpo... they also used a bit on Walmart Soundcheck.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #30
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

And they didn't use it on the Houston concert performance, so if you need the difference, listen to a song from houston, a song from walmart sound check, and a song from AOL all back to back.