++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 09-29-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Altair
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Legalize Drugs?

Here in Nevada, voters will soon decide if 3oz. of marijuana should be legal for home/private use. This would be a breakthrough/landmark decision by the voting public.

Should marijuana be legal? What about drugs in general?

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-29-2002, 11:25 AM   #2
Altair
USER INFO »
Personally, I believe that drugs should be legalized. The human race needs to get to the point of having faith and trush in its own members. We need to get past the point of having to ban things because they are potentially dangerous. And, we need to truly exercise freedom in all its glory.

It seems to me that regardless of how much me make drugs illegal, and how harsh the penalties are, people still use and abuse drugs. Consequentially, we are spending a gross amount of money trying to stop something that cannot be stopped. Perhaps that money should be used for treatment and education. Perhaps these drugs should be sold and taxed.

Perhaps we should allow people to live their lives as they want to, freely.

Oh, freedom. Free at last, free at last, maybe someday we'll be free at last.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-29-2002, 07:17 PM   #3
allison
USER INFO »
I really don't know about other drugs-not sure how I feel (does anyone else have an issue that they are just honestly not sure about, btw?), but I do think that marijuana should be legalized. Here are my reasons:

1. I think it is less harmful than many other things that are legal(cigarrettes, alcohol, McDonald's artery-clogging food, automobiles which kill thousands of people every year, etc., etc.)

-No reported cases of ANYONE dying as the direct result of smoking it, EVER (cannot overdose)
-Has proven to NOT be physically addictive, and there is no evidence that it is psychologically addictive (although, be careful, anything can be to the right person)
-Does not make people violent or agressive - in fact, quite the opposite!
-No hangover
-No liver damage
-No praying to the porcelain god (unless used in conjunction with alcohol, at times) uke:

**Warning** Has been known to aid in weight gain

2. If legalized, it would most certainly be taxed and the revenue could be used in any number of positive ways for society (you name it - to improve school facilities or teacher's salaries, in the development of programs for children, to improve deplorable animal shelters and staff, etc., etc.)

3. If it were decriminalized, it would put at least some criminals out of business, and would give a bit more resources to fighting real crime.

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 09-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #4
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I totally agree with what Allison says with regard to the legalization of marijuana. Harder drugs such as cocaine or heroin, no way. But marijuana is on the same level with alcohol IMO. People drive drunk and that is illegal, but the actual alcohol is not illegal. The only thing I can see that should be illegal is driving under the influence of marijuana. But the "drug" itself should be made legal. Allison's reasons say it all.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:01 PM   #5
Aimee
USER INFO »
Mary Jane

I agree with Altair although I hesitate to advocate opening up a can of worms by legalizing highly addictive drugs that can ruin your life like heroin. I think that all drugs should be used medically first before they are able to be sold on the open market. I am all for legalizing Marijuana by the way. I agree with all of your points on that one!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
Siana
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Siana Send a message via Skype to Siana
I am for legalizing Marijuana too...I hate drugs,but I've heard they could help in some cases......
Old 10-02-2002, 02:08 PM   #7
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
I am a recovering drug addict. My drugs of choice were weed, LSD, Extasy, and cocaine. It all started with weed though. I was a horrible mother when I was smoking just weed. I had no motivation whatsoever. I didn't cook anything to eat for my kids, I didn't watch my kids as well as I should have and therefore they ran wild. Financially, I was living in poverty in the "projects". In order to get the weed that I wanted for free, I made friends with some local dealers. They had a lot of stuff running through my apartment. I allowed others to come in and party, just so long as they kept the joints comin' at me. Soon I went on to the harder drugs, and my whole life hit rock bottom. I nearly lost my kids, nearly killed someone, went to jail many times, and my apartment was being watched by the authorities. It was the fact that I nearly lost my kids that woke me up. I gave my life over to Jesus Christ and he cleaned me up. I still struggle from time to time. There are times when I am so tempted to go buy a quarter bag... just to chill out. Then there are times when I want to get a few hits of acid... just to go in that other realm where there is no pain or sorrow. But I look at my kids and I say NO! I've got something better than the drugs... my kids... then I go hug and cuddle them and play with them until the "urge" is gone.

So I really am not for legalizing drugs. However, the hippy in me knows that there is no physical addictions associated with weed. However, with some people, like me, there is most definately a psychiological addiction. As for the harder drugs... never should they be legalized in my opinion.

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 10-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
allison
USER INFO »
Wow, Lady V, you sure have turned your life around. I remember you saying that you are not a strong person, but in my opinion, anyone who can completely change their life the way you did, MUST be a strong person.

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:29 PM   #9
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
No I'm not strong. If I was strong I wouldn't have taken drugs to get out of dealing with reality. It is God who has helped me the whole way.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:31 PM   #10
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Hey does anyone know what D.A.R.E. stands for?

Old 10-02-2002, 02:32 PM   #11
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I think it's Drug Abuse Resistance through Education

Old 10-02-2002, 02:34 PM   #12
allison
USER INFO »
We all make mistakes, but fixing them takes alot of strength, especially recovering from drug addiction. Maybe you weren't strong when you were doing the drugs, but isn't it true that you're strong now? Give yourself some credit!

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:35 PM   #13
allison
USER INFO »
drug abuse resistance education

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:36 PM   #14
allison
USER INFO »
or, department of agricultural research and education

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:39 PM   #15
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
LOL:lol: