++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #16
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) I'll bet on it! I bet ODR will sell 3 times more than TGD.
And I agree with Titan. Scott is more of a commercial artis, AB aren't.

Then maybe that explains ODR's dismal album sales. If their singles don't get played on the radio, it certainly isn't helping to sell CD's. If ODR sells three times more than Stapp then that means Stapp only has to sell around 150,000 CD's. I think before you start making predictions you may want to wait until the CD is actually released. How much you want to bet?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #17
bobben
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) They're still such a new band, so of course not everyone will know them. Did a bunch of people know about Creed before "Higher" and "With Arms Wide Open"? No!

Well, Creed had 3 songs (Torn, MOP and WTLF) from MOP on the top rock charts all over! That's 100 times better than AB ever have achieved!
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out on loan.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
INDIGOSTEVE
USER INFO »
thats why I renamed them Average Band...........
Old 10-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #19
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) Then maybe that explains ODR's dismal album sales. If their singles don't get played on the radio, it certainly isn't helping to sell CD's. If ODR sells three times more than Stapp then that means Stapp only has to sell around 150,000 CD's. I think before you start making predictions you may want to wait until the CD is actually released. How much you want to bet?
Well, first of all, I wasn't dead serious about it. But... I do think that AB will be around for some time, and I know Stapp is gonna break big, 'cause he was the face of Creed. But I somehow think that, overall, AB will be the bigger band.
But I may be wrong. 'Cause I'm sure Scott will go in a more commercial direction that AB. And there's not really anything wrong with that, but that will give him good airplays. So if Stapp breaks bigger than AB because he's making commercial music I would still say AB is better. I think the less you do the commercial stuff and the more you do your own stuff - the better. And the other way around.

So I'll bet with you on that. I bet Hayley. (You may have seen her around here somewhere...) Yeah, I own her, she's my girl... She's my slave. I've bet her before, so what the hell, if you win, you can have her. But it will take a couple of years to see who's wrong or who's right.

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #20
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by bobben) Well, Creed had 3 songs (Torn, MOP and WTLF) from MOP on the top rock charts all over! That's 100 times better than AB ever have achieved!
Yeah, they were big in the states, I think Titan means that Creed were VERY unknown in the rest of the world. It wasn't before the release of Human Clay Creed started climbing the charts here in Europe and in Australia. I think Asia were a little later, and oh God, don't ask me about Africa!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #21
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) Well, first of all, I wasn't dead serious about it. But... I do think that AB will be around for some time, and I know Stapp is gonna break big, 'cause he was the face of Creed. But I somehow think that, overall, AB will be the bigger band.
But I may be wrong. 'Cause I'm sure Scott will go in a more commercial direction that AB. And there's not really anything wrong with that, but that will give him good airplays. So if Stapp breaks bigger than AB because he's making commercial music I would still say AB is better. I think the less you do the commercial stuff and the more you do your own stuff - the better. And the other way around.

So I'll bet with you on that. I bet Hayley. (You may have seen her around here somewhere...) Yeah, I own her, she's my girl... She's my slave. I've bet her before, so what the hell, if you win, you can have her. But it will take a couple of years to see who's wrong or who's right.

You sure sounded dead serious. So Alter Bridge will be the bigger band...even considering the fact that their last single never got airplay on rock radio? And they are touring as an opening act for a bigger band? They may be doing their own stuff, but you got to admit that commercial sells records. People can hate radio all they want, but to sell records the idea is to get your song played on the radio. People hear your song and then just maybe like it enough to go out and buy the CD....or I guess some people just find a place to download it illegally for free.

Keep your "slave"...I can't believe that you referred to another human being in that way. I have no need for anyone in that capacity. Two years.....I don't think so.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #22
jmhonline
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mrprophetman) You sure sounded dead serious. So Alter Bridge will be the bigger band...even considering the fact that their last single never got airplay on rock radio? And they are touring as an opening act for a bigger band? They may be doing their own stuff, but you got to admit that commercial sells records. People can hate radio all they want, but to sell records the idea is to get your song played on the radio. People hear your song and then just maybe like it enough to go out and buy the CD....or I guess some people just find a place to download it illegally for free.

Keep your "slave"...I can't believe that you referred to another human being in that way. I have no need for anyone in that capacity. Two years.....I don't think so.

But the thing is that AB is trying to get on the radio. Tremonti even admits it:
"Some critics think we're everything they hated about Creed," Tremonti says. "But we have to release those songs with the big choruses that are very Creed-like to get on the radio. It's hard to be completely different because I was so involved with those Creed songs."
http://www.alterbridgeband.net/media...05_sunpop.html
Old 10-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #23
INDIGOSTEVE
USER INFO »
you get on the radio because you have great songs but Ab does not have anything great to put out their, and Stapp will, cut n dry Stapp will sell way more cd's than AB...........
Old 10-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #24
Mrprophetman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by jmhonline) But the thing is that AB is trying to get on the radio. Tremonti even admits it:
"Some critics think we're everything they hated about Creed," Tremonti says. "But we have to release those songs with the big choruses that are very Creed-like to get on the radio. It's hard to be completely different because I was so involved with those Creed songs."
http://www.alterbridgeband.net/media...05_sunpop.html

BUT....BUT....I thought it was supposed to be all about FUN. Well all I know is that I never heard Broken Wings on the radio (and it did have a big chorus and a big guitar solo)
Old 10-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #25
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Good Lord, does EVERY thread have turn into Stapp vs. AB? That said, I hate to admit it, but I think Stapp will sell more than AB ever did, simply because he's more radio-friendly, and that's what Wind Up and the labels want. Back in the day, the labels were happy to have a couple of cash cows and leave room for artists who might need more than one or two records to really define their sound. Sadly, that is not the case these days. If you don't go gold in a month, you're basically screwed. Ask Submersed about that. I love them, but apparently mainstream radio didn't embrace them enough, or Wind Up didn't pay enough to get them on the radio. They've already given up on them, promotion-wise, which really sucks because these guys have actual talent. I'm not saying Stapp doesn't, but I suspect he will go totally the way Wind Up wants him to. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #26
titan9
USER INFO »
Oh, I agree, Submersed is a very talented band that deserves all the promotion they can get. Same with 12 Stones, yet another Wind-Up band. Even though WU is an independent label, and they're supposed to be all about their artists, all they really care about is the cash cows. They'll give their "money-makers" a ton of promotion(Evanescence, Seether etc.) and then completely ignore their less established acts(Big Dismal, 12 Stones, and now Submersed) just because they aren't Pop radio friendly artists. Look at 12 Stones in particular. They released Potter's Field 2 weeks after Alter Bridge's "One Day Remains" came out. 12 Stones has only toured maybe 10-15 times in support of the album. That's extremely poor managing from Wind-Up, and I have yet to actually see any sign that Wind-Up is promoting them. If WU is disappointed with the sales, they really ought not to be. If WU would have given 12 Stones the promotion that they deserved(afterall, their vocalist was featured in the huge Evanescence hit "Bring Me To Life"), I'm willing to bet Potter's Field would have sold even better than it has. Afterall, 12 Stones debut CD sold 300,000 in only 2 and a half years.

I hope that WU starts to treat these lesser known artists a bit better. And if they don't, I hope these artists leave WU and go to a label that'll actually promote them.

I do think WU is going to promote Stapp extremely well, because of the simple fact that he's the former lead singer of one of the most popular Rock bands of the last 6 years. There are still a lot of people who remember and know who Stapp is, and there are still a lot of Stapp fans who are going to want this album. WU knows this, and they want to make all the money they possibly can so they're gonna push the heck out of this album.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #27
GregS
USER INFO »
ye man Stapp is gonna do extremely well. Afterall he was the face of creed , every1 knows who he or creed are. His album is gonna be alot pop/rock than Alter Bridge's One Day Remains. There will be alot of creed like ballady songs so they will be alot more radio play. Stapp will do well but this doesnt mean Ab wont.. They've been touring all this time and they've won over alot of fans. Alot of people have been buying their record. And they will continue to get bigger. I mean , theres still another album to come out of them. Jus gotta wait and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #28
GregS
USER INFO »
And ye also.. I agree that more and more of these threads are starting to turn into Stapp vs Ab and its just getting stupid...
Old 10-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #29
ryen
USER INFO »
i dont thank ab is going to do no where as good as scott well. dont get me wrong scott phillps is a grat drumer and mark is a grat guitar player, but there missing on thing the voice of scott stapp, and thats why there not going to be around long they may get some fans here and there but stell not iny die hard fans like scott stapp has
Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
Creed7352
USER INFO »
umm...ryen, i'm a die hard fan of alter bridge and so are all the people on alterbridgeband.net's bb...

broken wings has no solo in it.

it didn't fair well on radio cause windup stopped sending it to radio stations and hasn't done shit to promote the band.

radio is not the same as it was when creed was popular...it's flooded with these new bands that play emo-punk shit and also by the bands like the killers that are going for that british type, almost 80's pop, sound.

alter bridge is opening for 3dd cause it will get them more exposure since windup isn't promoting them or sending any singles to radio. it's a wise move cause a lot of people like 3dd and will hear ab since they're opening...by this time next year, i bet ab will be doing much better.