++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 AM   #1
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
OMFG, I just got back from the Mars Volta show in Philly. These guys are friggin AMAZING!

It was like a two-hour nonstop jam session! Awesome guitar, drum and bass solos. That fricken lead singer has an incredible voice and some serious moonwalking moves. He was all over the stage, dancing, singing, cavorting with the microphone. I've never seen so many mic tricks. He did a little gymnastics, as well, LOL.

The drummer was wearing a bright red t-shirt that read: F*ck Bush, all in caps! He only kept it on for a couple of songs, though. Must have gotten warm on stage .

They did almost no talking. The vocalist talked only to rag on some crowd surfers. He admonished them and told them that this generation learns all this sh*t from TV and not from their shows, and that he wasn't going to have any of it. He likened them to the dumb-jock set that used to tease him in high school. He said he didn't want any MTV Real World crap going on here...I was laughing my ass off. He said people can swing their hips and bang their heads, but that they shouldn't hurt others because it wasn't cool. It was great. And after that, there wasn't one crowd surfer! The pit was wild, though. I was upstairs on the right side of the stage...much safer for us older folks, LOL.

I'd say the crowd was mostly youngsters..teens to early-to-mid 20s. I was probably one of the oldest people in there, hehehe.

The show rocked, though. These guys played as if they were in their living room or something, as if no one else were around. Half the time the guitar player and lead singer (sorry, I don't have all their names down yet, LOL) were facing the drummer and the bass player, who stood all night to the right of the drummer while he played. They played stuff from De-Loused, but there was lots of improvisation in almost every song. It was wayyyyyyy cool. During the last song, everybody left the stage (there were six: two on percussion, a keyboard player, bass, guitar, singer) except the bass player, who remained to do a 10-minute kick-ass solo. WOW is all I can say. These guys can play! That solo gave the band a chance for a break and then they came on and jammed some more for the encore. I still haven't figured out what song titles go to what tunes, LOL. Most are in other languages or use old words, so it's hard to remember them, heheh.

I highly recommend these guys! No BS, just damn great music!

The opener was a band called Enon. I wasn't very impressed. The vocals were really weak. They were a three-piece, basically keyboards, bass and drums with a little axe thrown in for good measure. The bass/keyboard player also sang lead on some songs (a woman) as did the guitar/keyboard player. They sounded OK when they were doing harmony, but really, they were very weak singers and had zero stage presence. They sounded kind of new-Agey, but on other songs, they sounded more more rock or punk.

Sorry this is so long. I just had to share because it was such a great show!
Old 10-22-2003, 04:41 AM   #2
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
Fucking cool!

The Mars Volta is Cedric on vocals, Omar on guitar, Jon is their drummer, Isaiah is on the keys and Juan is their awesome bassist. Their second percussionist might be Lenny Castro, but I'm not sure. Jeremy Ward also does things behind the scenes and is responsible for the sound of the band(Flea did the CD's bass and John Frusciante appeared on it too!)

I love the Mars Volta. The lyrics are perculiar; half of the stuff is either in foreign (or dead) languages and the other half is using words noone's used since the middle ages! Its great.

Everyone shoul go buy their CD Deloused in the Comatorium. It's a tribute to their late friend, Julio. They also have an EP titled Tremulant. (I can host the mp3s if anyone wants).

I can't wait for them to hit my shores in January, got my festival ticket already and am hoping they do seperate shows which I'll no doubt attend too.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Thanks, Said Eyes. I just haven't had time to read up on them much, LOL, but I love that CD! The language thing is peculiar and a little whacky, especially the middle English words, LOL, but in that respect, it really makes you pay tons of attention to the music. The music almost speaks for itself, as if no words are needed. Cedric could just howl to it in that awesome voice and it would still rock. His voice is like another instrument. Julio, was he a member of the band? I thought I'd read somewhere that he died just before the CD came out or something.

I would LOVE to get the mp3s from the EP! You can PM when and if you get that set up. That would be so fricken COOL! THANKS!!!!

I can't wait for you to see them, Said Eyes. It was such an awesome show!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:24 AM   #4
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
Julio died way back, in 96 I think. While in At the Drive In they wrote a tribute song, but Cedric didnt feel it was enough so dedicated this whole CD to him.

http://members.optushome.com.au/tremontisi...That%20City.mp3 (8.6mb)
http://members.optushome.com.au/saideyes/T...0Concertina.mp3 (7.7mb)

The last song is a 15mb file, so I can't host it unfortunately.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #5
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Way cool, Said Eyes. You rock. Thanks a bunch!