++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
UK_Bridge
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
AB-successful???

it has been touched on in other threads but i thought i would write my opinion on how i think AB have done so far....

so how can you measure success of a new band? 4 grammys, 7 MTV awards or making a cracking album.

there are so many ways to measure success of a band but i truly believe AB
have been very successful since they formed.... us fans seem to forget i think that AB are still a very very young/new band in the music world and if they were to take the path of many other new bands right now they would be touring local venues and maybe thinking about putting a few tracks together for an EP. instead they have a very popular debut album.

but what have AB done: been on 2 hit movie soundtracks, produced a gold debut album, are nominated for "Best Album" in classic rock magazine and played at the legendary Donington Park on the mainstage.... very few new bands grace the main stage on their first time at the venue. and claimed to be one of the best live acts to see in 2005 by KERRANG! magazine.

lets break that down even more, been nominated for "Best Album" by classic rock magazine whilst still being a relatively unknown band in the UK thats a feat in itself.

many rock sites i go on and read many reviews of their album and performances and 95% of them are raving about AB thats not becuase 3/4 of the band are famous for being in another great band but have got these reviews by working hard and producing great tracks unlike say Velvet Revolver who lets face it are only hyped up so much coz of the GnR connection.

anyway enough of my babbling on but IMHO Alterbridge have done extremely well in their first couple of years and can only grow to be stronger, if you ask me the pressure is really on Mr Stapp to produce a cracking album otherwise the media vultures will be out for him.

would love to hear your veiws.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
PJAmerica
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to PJAmerica Send a message via Yahoo to PJAmerica
In a nuttshell AB had to overcome the "Creed' stereo type. They have toured and rocked hard and have proved to be a excellent band. The mention of Velvet Revolver brings a view of mine to mind. They sold there selves based on the ties to GNR and AB chose to bein a new endeavor. 2 different things indeed. However, the media will alway try to spin things for the interest of public.

I think Scott will do well and really doesn't care what hype or pressure there may be because his goal was to aleviate the pressure.

So to end my babbling I think AB has proven itself.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
goddess_bb
USER INFO »
I don't know I like AB but I never hear them on the radio or see their videos and they canceled their Denver date so I am not how sucessful that makes them in my neck of the woods. Not that canceling the date makes them unsucessful here what I mean it makes them unheard of here....which explains I guess why they didn't reschedule...oh nevermind...

I really VR and I think they are sucessful because of their talent. Weiland is an awesome singer with awesome range and Slash please is f**king awesome...yea they are parts of two other successful bands but that doesn't mean they don't deserve their success...
Someone tries to hide himself
Down inside himself he prays
Someone swears his true love
Until the end of time
Another runs away
Separate or united
Empty or insane
And be yourself is all that you can do
All that you can do

Be Yourself~Audioslave

~Ignore me, I dare you~
Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I can't really classify them as a young band. Three of the four members have the ridden the roller coaster to the top and have tasted all that comes with that. They were well known enough in the biz and made enough money as part of Creed and that's pretty much why they got the shot and the push from Wind Up. Three of the four were a known quantity. Wind Up probably wouldn't haven given them the time of day if they were just starting out as unknowns.
As far as their success, I think the jury is still out. From their point of view, I would think they think they are successful. They are making a living doing what they love. As far as commercial success, going gold seems to be the measuring stick, and they have reached that, but it's still up in the air in my mind as to whether they will reach as many people as they did with Creed. I know a lot of people don't like Myles' voice for whatever reason. Personally, I love the guy, but for some, his range is too high and sounds too 80s to some people, which apparently is a bad thing, LOL.

I like their debut, but I still think it could have been a lot better. I gave it a B-minus or so and I still feel that way. I'm really looking forward to what comes next. I just hope Wind Up leaves them alone and lets them do their thing.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
titan9
USER INFO »
I think it is way too early to judge them as being successful or not. They've only put out one CD and have only been around for little over a year and a half. The CD is a success, despite it not selling as much as some expected. AB went gold without that much radio airplay(bands with more airplay, like Saliva, for instance, did not sell as many copies of their CD as AB did) and without a huge amount of promotion. They didn't make a CD that was radio-friendly, at least not in my opinion. They, instead, made a CD that rock purists can respect and enjoy. Gotta commend them for that, because in this day and age, a lot of Rock bands "sell-out" and make radio-friendly CDs.

The guys have shown that they are committed to this band. They've toured a ton over the last year. They've performed at a major Sports event, had their music featured on soundtracks, had their music used in the WWE at least a few times, the list goes on. Sure, maybe they got to perform at the All-star game because of the Creed connection, but obviously, someone thought they were good enough on their own to perform there.

I think we can only judge AB's success five years from now, when they've hopefully released a couple more CDs and done some more things. The potential is there for this band to become a great band, but it is way too early to say that now. I'll say this: they are off to a very good start.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
cyndeelouwho
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) They were well known enough in the biz and made enough money as part of Creed and that's pretty much why they got the shot and the push from Wind Up. Three of the four were a known quantity. Wind Up probably wouldn't haven given them the time of day if they were just starting out as unknowns.
As far as their success, I think the jury is still out. From their point of view, I would think they think they are successful. They are making a living doing what they love. As far as commercial success, going gold seems to be the measuring stick, and they have reached that, but it's still up in the air in my mind as to whether they will reach as many people as they did with Creed. I know a lot of people don't like Myles' voice for whatever reason. Personally, I love the guy, but for some, his range is too high and sounds too 80s to some people, which apparently is a bad thing, LOL.

I just hope Wind Up leaves them alone and lets them do their thing.

I for one am disappointed that they went with Windup. I assume it was out of loyalty which in the Biz,,,,pleeze! The guys are true good hearted men but I think they got hosed! From what I have seen(my opinion)Windup doesn't promote them and maybe they are doing it in hopes of a GREED reunion, oops, CREED reunion tour. Windup would make WAY more money with that then with AlterBridge. Shelfing bands is common practise to keep out the competition. They should have signed with Sony when they had the chance in my opinion. Starving them out and trying to manipulate a reunion tour is CRUEL. I heard Stapp plans on covering Creed tunes when he finally gets out there where as Mark Tremonti in interview after interview feels it would be wrong. Could you imagine if they(AlterBridge) did belt out Creed tunes at their shows?! Man, that would sound soooo sweet.

I have seen them live all over the East Coast and they are well received. They would sell out if Windup didn't comp tickets and fill the venues with industry people instead of ticket buying fans! One show in Sayreville was packed to the max but according to reports wasn't sold out. I was there and we were past capacity by all standards! They Rocked! The only venue I didnt like was down in Baltimore, this place was like being in my parents basement! The sound sucked but their performance was like usual, AWESOME.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
realitysmack
USER INFO »
AB Review

I think they have done very well without as much radio airplay as other bands have received. I was a big Creed fan as well but I do like the freedom and creativity displayed by Mark starting AB to do his own thing. There are several tracks on their debut album which do rock and I love the heaviness of Metalingus. They are a great live band and Myles hits every note perfectly as Mark enjoys himself and rocks out every night with all he has. They are enjoying themselves thoroughly and making a living entertaining others.....how could it be any better????? I also think Scott Stapp will do alright on his own.....do I think he will form a band and start touring again....probably not. I think he loves writing and performing but I see him developing as more of a solo artist and releasing quality music without the pressure to "fill" an album with music he does not feel is worthy. I think everyone involved will have a productive and fulfilling career ahead of them. Keep on rockin' guys and remember to have fun and just enjoy yourselves!!!