++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #61
Shadow
Shadow's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Strong Inside
Posts: 1,545
Joined: Feb 2004
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Shadow
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) You seem to read so much more into the words than what is really there. He's a musician. Of course he wants fans who are into the music. And maybe he's trashing the so-called die-hard fans who were more into the supposed personalities and looks of the band, rather than the music. Unless you're one of these people, I don't see how you could take this comment personally.
I DO NOT and NEVER DID listen to Creed because of how Scott Stapp looks. That comment that Mark made was a direct remark towards Scott's fans and he knows it.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Frankie) You know what..with that one statement...mark dismissed us with a flick of his tongue...the same way he has dismissed Scott...like none of us ever mattered...He insinuated that Scott's fans are shallow...as if Scott's talent and his voice and his lyrics mean nothing to us...and the fact that we have been Creed fans for years...many of us from the very beginning...means nothing to him. So yes...I guess we did take it personally.
Ditto for me Frankie. Well Said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #62
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,785
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Frankie) You know what..with that one statement...mark dismissed us with a flick of his tongue...the same way he has dismissed Scott...like none of us ever mattered...He insinuated that Scott's fans are shallow...as if Scott's talent and his voice and his lyrics mean nothing to us...and the fact that we have been Creed fans for years...many of us from the very beginning...means nothing to him. So yes...I guess we did take it personally.

Again, I fail to see where this applies to Scott Stapp fans who are/were in it for the music. If this is the category in which you belong, then that statement has nothing to do with you. It has to do with SOME Scott Stapp fans who he perceived as being shallow.
Shadow, I never said you listened to Creed because of Scott Stapp's looks. Again, I think this was directed at SOME fans of Scott, not ALL fans of Scott. I'm a fan of Scott, too, and that comment didn't bother me in the least because I know it wasn't directed at me, because, like you, I'm in it for the music.
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #63
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Status: INK'ed
Posts: 912
Joined: Jan 2003
Currently: Offline
Quote: It has to do with SOME Scott Stapp fans who he perceived as being shallow.

If this is so, dogstar...the key words in your statement are HE PERCEIVED...thing is he really has no idea...i won't argue that there are some out there that are into it more for the looks...but that is on both sides...some are just gaga over Tremonti 'caus he has them guns....as i've read many times.

All musicians hope that people are in it for the music and not the LOOKS, of those that make up the band which is what i believe Mark was alluding to, but at the same time, it appeares to be a cut on those that chose to enjoy Creed as a whole, yet were in it because the lyrics were what touched them most about Creed ...but like it or not...a lot of fans feel this way...

the truth of the matter is...the lyrics and music win over the fans because of the personalities that create them....
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #64
Steve
Administrator
Steve's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Prophet Man
Posts: 3,293
Joined: Dec 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Frankie) You know what..with that one statement...mark dismissed us with a flick of his tongue...the same way he has dismissed Scott...like none of us ever mattered...He insinuated that Scott's fans are shallow...

If you take this personally then that would mean you are shallow. The quote here says:

Quote: Some Scott Stapp fans curse our every move, but we're after those who are in it for the music - not for the personalities

The word SOME is the key here. He didn't say ALL, he said SOME, which happens to be true.
__________________
-Steve

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #65
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,785
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
I give up. You guys just don't get it. And I disagree that the music and lyrics win over the fans BECAUSE of the personalities that created them. The music and lyrics win over fans if they are quality lyrics and music that are performed well and make people feel. As a music fan, that is what wins me over. But maybe I'm in the minority. I really didn't see that comment as a cut on those that chose to enjoy Creed as a whole, which I did. Again, the people who are more into Scott Stapp seem to read far more into Mark's words than what is really there. Believe what you will, that is your right .
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #66
creedlvr
creedlvr's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Blue Collar
Posts: 706
Joined: Dec 2002
Currently: Offline
Wow! I haven't been here in a while and I can see nothings changed.

Anyway, IMO, I can see why Mark's comment would offend some people.
"Some Scott Stapp fans curse our every move, but we're after those who are in it for the music - not for the personalities."
This says to me that he thinks that just because "some Scott Stapp fans curse their every move" that must mean that they aren't in it for the music. Is it so hard to fathom that some people that liked Creed's music just might not care for AB's music or that Stapp fans may not only be Stapp fans based on his personality or looks alone??

It really is possible to have loved Creed ... but not be ecstatic about AB.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #67
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,785
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
No, it's not so hard to fathom that some people who liked Creed don't like Alter Bridge. The singer is different. He has a different sound and his voice might not be everyone's cup of tea. That's completely understandable. What I'm tired of is the constant criticism that every word that comes out of Mark's mouth about anything to do with AB or Creed is somehow derogatory against Scott Stapp or his supporters. It's just not so.
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #68
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 328
Joined: Mar 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via Yahoo to Jooji_2
Quote: (Originally Posted by creedlvr) It really is possible to have loved Creed ... but not be ecstatic about AB.

It's possible.....but you kinda become an outcast....nobody cares for your opinion. They tell you you were never a true Creed fan.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #69
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 328
Joined: Mar 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via Yahoo to Jooji_2
Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed_Defaultgirl) I'm sorry, but if creedpit is worse than this place, it must be the deepest pit in hell or something! If any of you want to see this person anymore, you won't find me here. There is a place where people can comprimise, and discuss things and keep the board peacefull, unlike CreedFeed.

Hey, uhh, just some advice to the future of this board, you might as well just take the stapp forums off, all they do 'round here is stir trouble. Bye

The fact that one person who truly worked to get along with everybody here, doesn't post any information about Stapp anymore, hasn't escaped my notice. What good does it do anyway. Who the hell is even interested? Other than for any entertainment quality it might have.

And yes, believe me, Creedpit is worse....worse than you could ever imagine. But, hey Creed_Defaultgirl....I joined the cult too. At least its a place populated by people who act like adults...and no matter what the discussion is about.....EVERYBODY gets treated with the same amount of respect....and all the statements are backed up by facts....not rumor and speculation.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #70
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,785
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
Jooji, there are plenty of people here who are *adult* about their discussions. What you fail to consider is that not everyone on this board has reached adulthood.
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #71
creedlvr
creedlvr's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Blue Collar
Posts: 706
Joined: Dec 2002
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) No, it's not so hard to fathom that some people who liked Creed don't like Alter Bridge. The singer is different. He has a different sound and his voice might not be everyone's cup of tea. That's completely understandable. What I'm tired of is the constant criticism that every word that comes out of Mark's mouth about anything to do with AB or Creed is somehow derogatory against Scott Stapp or his supporters. It's just not so.
I understand what you're saying. However, it is also possible that the reason people feel that way is because, like it or not, he did have some negative things to say at first. He has made it pretty clear that he as some bitter feelings towards Creed and Scott. Personally, I think that was in poor taste. Maybe things didn't work out, but the bottom line is, Creed was incredibly successful and Scott and Mark both helped make that happen.

However it ended up, he should have kept the negative feelings to himself and just let people remember Creed for what they were. He worked with Scott for 10 years, they were good friends. He worked with Myles for less than a year. To say things like Myles has the best voice (or however he put it) does say he thinks he's better than Scott. That's fine if he thinks that ... but he didn't have to tell the whole world that. I understand that business is business, but that type of comment must be hurtful to Scott. Naturally, that is going to cause a stir among fans. If he implies that he himself is taking sides instead of just being positive about the future of AB, then how are the fans (of either side) expected not to.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #72
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 328
Joined: Mar 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via Yahoo to Jooji_2
Quote: (Originally Posted by fluttergirl) Like I said, Jooji, that wasn't aimed entirely or even mostly at you, just something I've noticed.

Completely personally--I was a fan of Creed for the music. There are too many songs on ODR that sound very much so reminiscent of Creed (OYE, for example). I'm not saying that you *should* like them, I'm saying that on some of the songs, they sound enough like Creed, I don't understand how you can not like those individual songs. I dunno, maybe you judge music differently than i do. But your opinion is your opinion, as mine is mine, and we think differently, NBD.
As far as Stapp- he's simply not of the line of vocalists I tend to prefer. However. He was in Creed. He made good music in Creed. I enjoyed listening to him in Creed. Relearn Love doesn't exactly float my boat, but I'll never bash him or post derogatory comments about him, if for nothing else, out of respect of the work he did with Creed.
So yes it should go both ways. With me it does. But if someone posts something bad about stapp, there are 10-20-30 however many ppl who will jump all over them, often rightously so, and I just don't see that kind of support, hardcore, entirely, here for AB.
I'm not saying everyone should love AB and go buy all their CDs. I'm saying people should at least have the decency to have respect for the fact that before Creed broke up, everyone loved this music, and even if you dont like their new stuff, you liked them five years ago. Not all that much has changed. Why bail?
And that goes for Stapp as well. Just pointing out the other side.

I didn't BAIL. I listened to his music since I felt I owed him that much. To me.....its as if he's trying to prove a point....this is how good I am...this is what I can do...and I want to do it all at once. It doesn't appeal to me. Believe me....I listened to it, and there is nothing there that reminds me in any way of Creed. I don't live to hear someone play a kick ass guitar solo on every song on an album.....I outgrew that when I was about 16....it doesn't appeal to me anymore. They chose to go in the musical direction they did. Surely they didn't believe that every fan regardless of age would embrace their choice.

I disagree about your statement that you don't see hardcore support for AB here. Basically everything here is about them....even in forums that exist for other people. There are posters here who actually joined a really good and "fair" Stapp site.....one of their first posts was with regard to the song Relearn Love....stating that the song could have rocked, if only Tremonti had been involved. What I wanted to say to them is this.......Tremonti doesn't have that opportunity anymore....He said NO....He ended it....He made that choice, so why did you even have to bring him into the discussion?

People have pretty much given up any discussion of Stapp here, as it only brings about ridicule, but I get my ass chapped for saying I don't like Alter Bridge. Well that's just too bad......I don't.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:07 PM   #73
Jooji_2
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 328
Joined: Mar 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via Yahoo to Jooji_2
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Jooji, there are plenty of people here who are *adult* about their discussions. What you fail to consider is that not everyone on this board has reached adulthood.

I know that.....point is while I have been told several times in a polite way to...."shut up". Their antics aren't considered innappropriate. As a result, people have just given up.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:25 PM   #74
BobbyMcGee
BobbyMcGee's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Silence Speaks
Posts: 61
Joined: Oct 2004
Currently: Offline
Quote: It really is possible to have loved Creed ... but not be ecstatic about AB


It was Scott's voice and lyrics that drew me into Creed before I even knew what he or any of the rest of them looked like.

Myles voice does nothing for me. If I don't like the voice it's hard for me to "follow" the lyrics.
________
Mexico City Hotels
________
STARCRAFT 2 PLAYER VS VERY HARD

Last edited by BobbyMcGee : 05-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:27 PM   #75
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,785
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Jooji_2) I didn't BAIL. Believe me....I listened to it, and there is nothing there that reminds me in any way of Creed.
I disagree. There are several songs that have a Creed feel to them, guitar-wise: Open Your Eyes, Down to My Last, Shed My Skin. The structure in these songs is very similar to the stuff that came out on Weathered. Mark has said that the band didn't want to totally alienate Creed fans by going in a completely different way. These songs were like a bridge between Creed and AB. I don't know how you can't hear the Creed sound.

Quote: I don't live to hear someone play a kick ass guitar solo on every song on an album.....I outgrew that when I was about 16....it doesn't appeal to me anymore.
That's pretty disrespectful to those of us who DO enjoy a good guitar solo. You complain about Stapp supporters not being respected. What you said pretty much disrespects fans of guitar solos, who, I assure you, are a lot older than 16 in many cases. And he doesn't wanker off on every AB song. You just don't like Mark, and that's fine, but don't criticize the music without backing it up with something more than " I outgrew that when I was 16."

Quote: They chose to go in the musical direction they did. Surely they didn't believe that every fan regardless of age would embrace their choice.
Of course they didn't. DUH.

Quote: Tremonti doesn't have that opportunity anymore....He said NO....He ended it....He made that choice, so why did you even have to bring him into the discussion?
Really? I'm pretty sure from what I've read that it was a mutual decision by the BAND to break up after they started trying to work on the fourth album. Both agreed it wasn't working anymore. It's apparent that Scott and Mark were going in different directions musically and personally.


Quote: People have pretty much given up any discussion of Stapp here, as it only brings about ridicule, but I get my ass chapped for saying I don't like Alter Bridge. Well that's just too bad......I don't.
You know, a perfect example as to why you supposedly get your ass chapped for saying you don't like AB is the ridiculous answer you posted in the thread about the meaning of the My Sacrifice video. Why didn't you just try to answer the question? No, you had to bring the Scott-fan persecution complex into it when there was absolutely nothing negative in the question regarding the My Sacrifice video. As I said in that thread: Get off the cross already. I think you're addicted to the drama and negativity of all of this. There is plenty of decent discussion about Scott Stapp; you seem bent on whining forever about the fact that Creed are no more and ripping people who like Alter Bridge and don't happen to like Relearn Love. If you don't like it here and you're not having any fun, go somewhere else. It's pretty simple.
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is fucking pissing me off!!! RMadd Alter Bridge Talk 12 10-04-2004 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Steve Caponetto. All Rights Reserved.