++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #61
titan9
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Well I don't mean HE won't do anything. I mean, this song is not going to bash down doors for him. He might get some people from the same audience, but I don't think he will sell that many records. Gold, maybe platinum after a while.

No, it's definitely not an innovative song. The critics will probably dislike it, but who cares what the critics think.

As for sales, I honestly see this album selling 200,000-400,000 in its first week. A bold prediction, I know, but I think the radio is going to gobble it up. An even bolder prediction is that I think it'll go platinum within 9 months of its release. I just have a great feeling about the CD.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Remember, OYE was EXTREMELY radio friendly and look what happened there.

The thing with OYE and AB-and it pains me to say this, being the Myles and AB fan that I am-is that Myles does not have a radio friendly voice. Maybe a Rock Radio friendly voice, but definitely not a Pop radio friendly voice. Unfortunately, most that listen to Pop do not appreciate the technically great singers like Myles. I think AB will have an even better amount of success on the radio with the next CD-Rock radio that is.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I think the one thing I was hoping for was good lyrics. Cuz that is what he is, the vocalist. In AB I hope for unique riffs and good solos, in other bands you look for different things, etc. etc. I was hoping at least that he'd give some good lyrics but although they could have been worse I was extremely dissapointed by them. I think he even did better on HC, and everyone knows my opinion of that album...

Like I've stressed, don't judge the CD based on one song. I think he'll be much better lyrically on the rest of the CD.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #62
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
It's a typical single. A bit popish and very radio friendly. I think it's ok. It's not something that would get repeated in my playlist over and over again but I'd listen to it.

Not trying to start anything here, but to those saying his voice sounds better, album songs can't be a basis for how good his voice sounds. His voice sounded like crap at the end of the Human Clay tour and the Weathered tour, yet the album Weathered he sounded normal. Remember, there's lots of editing done to albums. When Stapp starts to tour, we'll see how his voice is.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 09-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #63
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
^Indeed. Everyone sounds good on recordings, but live you see what people REALLY sound like (i.e. Myles Kennedy on one end of the spectrum, and Ashlee Simpson on the other, lol)

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) No, it's definitely not an innovative song. The critics will probably dislike it, but who cares what the critics think.

Well no one. But generally critics ARE good at getting through poppish crap...

Quote: As for sales, I honestly see this album selling 200,000-400,000 in its first week. A bold prediction, I know, but I think the radio is going to gobble it up. An even bolder prediction is that I think it'll go platinum within 9 months of its release. I just have a great feeling about the CD.

Well time will tell. I think people have started to get sick of Vedder/Stappish voices though... I really can't see it selling 400,000 in the first week.

Quote: The thing with OYE and AB-and it pains me to say this, being the Myles and AB fan that I am-is that Myles does not have a radio friendly voice.

Except that msot of the complaints to do with OYE was that he sounded like Stapp..

Quote: Like I've stressed, don't judge the CD based on one song.

I'm not. I'm judging the song based on the song.

Quote: I think he'll be much better lyrically on the rest of the CD.

One would definitely hope so.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #64
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I like it and thats all that should matter to you people.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #65
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
*salutes the Mighty Mulletman*
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 AM   #66
RMadd
USER INFO »
just finally got around to listening to his new single... imo, better than relearn love. some of the guitar riffs did remind me of some creed-esque stuff, but more subtle than tru. unlike titan, i highly doubt the cd will sell 200k in a week, and go platinum in 9 mos. perhaps the latter is possible, but, sad to say, i think people, in general, just don't care quite so much about stappy anymore. it's not like when weathered came out and people were like "human clay kicked ass! creed kicks ass! i gotta get this new shit!" now, it's more like "hey, where's he been? oh yeah, he sang like shit at the world series, and at the nascar awards. hmmm...."

Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #67
kariyanine
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to kariyanine Send a message via MSN to kariyanine Send a message via Yahoo to kariyanine
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) this is absolutely nothing i was expecting from him...this is not rock, isnt a good balad!...Its extremely pop and consequently will play on the radio ton of times...is this his new musical direction? I hope not.

You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base. The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.

With that said, after having listened to it a couple times, I am enjoying "The Great Divide" and wish Scott the best of luck.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #68
titan9
USER INFO »
Actually, I thought he sounded good(vocally) at the Nascar awards. The backing music, though, stunk. We'll see how his voice holds up once he starts touring again.

Getting back to the record sales, like I said, I'm making a bold prediction in saying that it'll sell 200,000-400,000 in the first week. My logic in this is that AB sold 100,000 in their first week, Creed's last CD sold 700,000 in its first week and hey, if Ashlee Simpson's CD can sell 400,000 in its first week, then why can't Stapp's CD? There are still diehard Stapp fans out there who might purchase more than one copy. There are still Creed fans out there who will buy this CD. There'll be new fans who will be like "I like his new single, so I think I'm gonna buy the new CD." I think WU is gonna promote the heck out of Stapp(they'd be stupid not to promote the heck out of a guy who was a member of the band that put this label on the map) and, as a result, he's gonna move more albums then people expect him to. I mean, look at Rob Thomas. I don't like the guy, but he's having a very successful solo career with good sales, and like Stapp, he was a member of a very popular band. I think if he can be a successful solo artist, so can Stapp.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Except that msot of the complaints to do with OYE was that he sounded like Stapp..

I never got that comparison. To me, even in that song, he sounded nothing like Stapp. It's the same thing with that Vedder/Stapp comparison. I think anyone with half a monkey's brain could tell the difference between those two. Even my 5 year old niece can.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #69
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by kariyanine) You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base.

It's pretty rare for a solo artist to exceed the popularity of his initial band. Look at Chris Cornell. Euphoria Morning is a great album, but it didn't really sell well even though everyone knew who Cornell was.

Quote: The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.
MB20 wasn't real rock to begin with, so I 'm not sure Thomas' situation applies here. They always seemed pretty light to me. Creed were rock first, especially with MOP. HC definitely had more pop songs and Weathered had a few rock tunes, but more pop than HC.

And Steve, you're right about the editing and all. It was just nice to hear his voice sound good ...

Titan, I would be shocked if it sold 20,000 the first week, but that's just me.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #70
Chase
USER INFO »
Scott Stapp has more of a "Midas touch" than Myles Kennedy when it comes to selling records. Historical statistics prove that. However, Kennedy seems to be more critically acclaimed than Stapp. I am curious to know if Myles can work an arena sized crowd though like Stapp can. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm curious to hear all of Stapp's records before I make a judgement about his musical direction.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #71
creedsister
USER INFO »
i bid you good jugement
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #72
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Actually, I thought he sounded good(vocally) at the Nascar awards. The backing music, though, stunk. We'll see how his voice holds up once he starts touring again.

I won't. I shall not be going to see him. lol

Quote: if Ashlee Simpson's CD can sell 400,000 in its first week, then why can't Stapp's CD?

Because Ashlee Simpson has a bunch of 12-24 year olds too dumb to realize they are wasting money. 12-14 year olds don't even know who Stapp is anymore.

Quote: There are still diehard Stapp fans out there who might purchase more than one copy.

lol

Quote: There are still Creed fans out there who will buy this CD.

Uh, obviously. i.e. you. lol

Quote: There'll be new fans who will be like "I like his new single, so I think I'm gonna buy the new CD."

I hope for the sake of musical intelligence everywhere that this is not the case... lol. I can't see anyone wanting to buy his CD because of this single.

Quote: I think WU is gonna promote the heck out of Stapp(they'd be stupid not to promote the heck out of a guy who was a member of the band that put this label on the map)

And since when has WU begun convincing you that they AREN'T stupid?

Quote: I think if he can be a successful solo artist, so can Stapp.

Depends on what successful means. I certainly can't see him moving a million albums in under a year...

Quote: I never got that comparison.

Lol, do you live under a rock?! I couldn't get away from peopel telling me Alter Bridge was just Creed with a new guy who sounds exactly like Stapp... lol

Quote: To me, even in that song, he sounded nothing like Stapp.

Well he certainly sounds nothing like Stapp on any of the other songs. On OYE he doesn't so much sound liek stapp as he doesn't sound unique at all. And since the rest of the song sounds just like Creed, the voice just starts to as well, if you have never heard any other songs.

Quote: It's the same thing with that Vedder/Stapp comparison.

Titan I respect you, but saying Stapp and Vedder are as far apart as Stapp and Myles...

Quote: I think anyone with half a monkey's brain could tell the difference between those two.

First off, stop insulting monkeys, they are probably more intelligent than the mainstrea music audience. Second, most people CAN'T distinguish between the two. Third, they sound REALLY REALLY REALLY alike. Can I tell the difference? Sure. Easily. Just like I can tell the difference between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly, but they still look a LOT alike!

Quote: Even my 5 year old niece can.

I suspect your five year old neice has better musical knowledge than half the peopel in the U.S.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #73
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mulletman) I like it and thats all that should matter to you people.
Good enough for me.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #74
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
Now I'm going to be honest here. Since I don't post much, I might as well post about the next controversial topic; Stapp's upcoming album.

I do like the song, but the first time I EVER heard it I was disappointed. I don't know if it was that this song seemed like it was set along the same lines as Relearn Love in the sense of Christianity, or if it just didn't sound unique. Or maybe it wasn't rocky enough for me.

One thing I do know is, after hearing it a couple times I do like it. But I'm afraid it could be the first song he has song that I could get sick of. I NEVER have gotten sick of Creed, but I might be able to with this. It has a good background beat and he is vocally on target, yes. The lyrics are exceptional, yes. But I was hoping for some of the more hardcore lyrics like back in the day w/ MOP. I loved the freshness of what he unearthed there. Maybe that was just the child Stapp looking to grow from a child to an adult. Maybe he was looking for acceptance or understanding. I don't know. I was just more driven then.

And I have to say this, it has the same sort of "poppy" sound as Relearn Love. This scares me a bit and makes me wonder if that will be "his" sound. I am interested in Broken where he uses the piano, but I don't know, I've always liked Stapp w/ rock. That's why I prefer the more rocky version of Relearn Love, or the part of Relearn Love featuring Tea Party where it is a bit more pounding in the end.

I'm surprised with myself. I like to listen to the song over and over, but I've found myself to more of a Stapp fan than an AB fan. Perhaps...perhaps it was just Creed that worked and like a lot of people I'll have to live with what I'm served. If ya can't tell, I don't really care for AB either b/c I don't care for Myles and I don't care for the tone of the music. Just my thoughts and reactions on a ballpark.

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 09-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #75
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by TeriB19) Good enough for me.
Indeed, me as well. After finding out Mulletman likes it... well bah. Who cares if the lyrics suck, it is totally not unique and has not musical talent showcased whatsoever. I STILL LIKE IT!

lol, jk. But props to you mullet for a hilarious post.