++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 AM   #61
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
We dont really use the term black here. I dont hear it often, so yeh, we wouldnt understand how rude it can be.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 AM   #62
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Said Eyes, race is a very sensitive issue in our country. There are some black people who find black as a noun perjorative. Many prefer African American.

I don't want to start a debate about race here, but I don't understand the whole "African American" title. Why the need to use "African American" to describe themselves? Caucasion people do not use the title "European American" (for those who originate from Europe). Why can't everyone in the US use the title "American" ??

The country is too focused on races. Who cares? It's great to understand your heritage, but when it comes to political and social issues in the United States, we're all "American" and nothing more.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 AM   #63
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yeah, it's unfortunate, Steve...Working at a newspaper I guess makes me more sensitive to it. We have policies regarding what we call different ethnic groups and sometimes words evolve into negative connotations. I think some of it has to do with some people of color trying to distinguish themselves further than skin color, by citing their origins. Other ethnic groups have done that throughout history, like the Irish and Italian. There are tons of Irish-American and Italian American clubs where people can join if they have a certain percentage of that heritage in them. I guess as a country we haven't been around long enough to call ourselves simply Americans, given that everyone practically came here from somewhere else.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #64
SleeplessAngel
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to SleeplessAngel Send a message via MSN to SleeplessAngel
While I have to agree with everyone who's stated that people shouldn't be recognized for the color of their skin, but for who they are. I have been on the recieving end of reverse racism, and while you may think that being called a nigger is far worse than being called a honky, or a cracker, or any of the other names, it isn't, in my opinion of course. I'm sure when I was going through that, I felt the same way others do when attacked for the color of their skin. When it comes down to it, no racial slur is worse than another. They're all hurtful.

On another note, I honestly think the reason American people can't get over it and stop racism completely is because so many people want to keep thinking about that past and not let it go. Yes, it was wrong for people to be made slaves years ago, but it happened. We can't change the past, but we can change the future, but we can't do that unless people learn to let go.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #65
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Learning to let go is much easier coming from a white person as white people are in the majority. No one is trying to minimize the hurt that comes with racial slurs. And for black people, it was more than being called names, and it wasn't all that long ago. People were killed and persecuted because of the color of their skin. There are people alive today who lost family members because of the color of their skin and the violence that erupted from race wars in the 60s. Rodney King and the L.A. riots were a little over a decade ago. Racism, unfortunately, is alive and well in America.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #66
SleeplessAngel
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to SleeplessAngel Send a message via MSN to SleeplessAngel
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Learning to let go is much easier coming from a white person as white people are in the majority. No one is trying to minimize the hurt that comes with racial slurs. And for black people, it was more than being called names, and it wasn't all that long ago. People were killed and persecuted because of the color of their skin. There are people alive today who lost family members because of the color of their skin and the violence that erupted from race wars in the 60s. Rodney King and the L.A. riots were a little over a decade ago. Racism, unfortunately, is alive and well in America.

But I'm not just a white person, and I can let go.....
Old 01-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #67
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Learning to let go is much easier coming from a white person as white people are in the majority. No one is trying to minimize the hurt that comes with racial slurs. And for black people, it was more than being called names, and it wasn't all that long ago. People were killed and persecuted because of the color of their skin. There are people alive today who lost family members because of the color of their skin and the violence that erupted from race wars in the 60s. Rodney King and the L.A. riots were a little over a decade ago. Racism, unfortunately, is alive and well in America.

Living in the past won't fix the future however (in my opinion). People who demand things based upon the fact that their ancestors were slaves are not helping the situation. The other thing is the stereotypical view of slavery. Slavery does not solely equate to white owners and black slaves. Slavery has existed all throughout history. I can't quote exact sources at the moment (I haven't taken a history course for over 3 years - I could do the research and quote sources if you really want me to), but African people enslaved other Africans all throughout their history. Conquerers all throughout Europe and Asia enslaved other races of people as well.

As I started this point - living in the past will not solve the problem of racism in our future.

(again, this is my opinion)

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 01-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #68
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
ok, at first I was thinking that in USA people make a big deal about it, a storm in a cup of water. But now, after I read Dogstar's posts I realized I should place me in your position. Maybe because racism is not a big issue here (I'm not saying we don't have racism) like it is in US.

But don't you think that when minorities still accept to be treated like minorities, instead of equals, racism will still go on? I think both sides (racist/minority) should change attitude... just my 2 cents, though.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #69
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
You're right, Marcos, it definitely will take change on both sides of the issue. When we don't have sides anymore, then we will have made progress.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:49 AM   #70
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
Doesn't Brazil have problems with race in regard to the slums above the cities? Or is that based on something else - poverty?

Or are you much better off socioeconomically and try to ignore those living in these shanty towns, as someone told me a lot of folk in Brazil do.

(I've not really researched the thing, so I dont really know and all words above may have no semblance to truth and the real world. But I read about "Cidade de Deus" in the paper today and it looked interesting)
Old 01-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #71
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
no... it's much more complex than that... oh, man, I gotta wake up early and it's late, I'll post a bit and later I complete what it's missing, ok?

The Slums: the slums are "neighbourhoods" full of small houses, with a pretty poor finish (in most of the cases) when made of bricks. But there also are a lot of slums with houses made of boxes and stuff. Slums are result of poverty. And yes, most people that live in slums are afro-descendants, due slavery in Brazil that last too long, and immigrants from another states, specially northeast states that are really poor. The thing is poverty in Brazil is the purest result of our politicians incredible corrupcy. If 10% of them were honest for 10 years, we would manage to solve about 75% of the problems, according to recent studies. Northeasterns, for example, they're not bad, but they came down in search for a second chance and opportunity. Pretty much like it happens with Mexicans and US. The thing the demand is way bigger than the supply. And then they don't have money to go back. So they go to the slums. They don't have a job and violence is the way they find to survive. But I assure you, the big sharks are so not in the slums. We just had a huge scandal here involving politcians and court judges. that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You wouldn't believe in my city, if you came here. There's a river: on one side, you have those huge and beautiful corporation buildings, one better than the other, and on the other side, you have a slum. Drive for 5 minutes through the avenue river and you'll get to Morumbi, a fancy neighbourhood just like Beverly Hills: huge mansions and a lot of Ferraris. It's so paradoxal. Wealth isn't well distributed here,as you see.

As for "Cidade de Deus" (City of God), I'll be honest: I refused to watch it. Although I know I should, but I don't like the fact that the Brazilian movie industry only shows what we got worse: our movies are all about poverty, sex and carnival. Sorry, but that's not my country. We have so much better stuff to show. But instead of a movie industry of propaganda, it's 98% social critic. Most of movie makers were lefties when younger. Lefties in the Fidel Castro/URSS style. So they have this huge utopia and anger... I know I need to give the movie a try, and I intend to, but I know the people from the slum where the movie story is based got revolted with what it shows. That happens, of course. But it's not like that... it doesn't show the good or the bright side. And if I'm not wrong, the movie story happens in the 70's or 80's. Please, correct me if that's a mistake.

I've already been in slums. Me and my friends from church help a day care center at one of them. You wouldn't believe it. Although their houses' outside is ugly, they're really organized and they have a lot of eletrodomestics, for example. TV and a puter or video-games. New refrigerators, furniture. Although they live in slums, many pretty much have agood condition, specially coz they don't spend more than they earn.

And to answer your question: no, I'm not better socioeconomically. I'm middle-class, about average. My father is an architect. He was a manager of a big company but he quit to run his own business. Unfortunately, his associated was a son of a bitch that spreaded lies and stole my dad's clients.

My mom doesn't work, so my dad had to close the office and works all for himself, in a home office. He does some projects, not much as we would like to, but thank God we can live. The hardest thing is to get paid. There are 2 clients that my dad already delivered the project, but they are always postponing the payment, or paying just parts of the total. You don't know how hard it's on you to see your dad upset due that, after spending nights awake, busy with work.

I used to study at mornings on my college, but I had to change my schedule to night school (at the same college) so I could find an internship for me. I left the best friends I ever made and now I work from 8 to 5 and go to school from 6 to 11. Not to mention the time I spend in traffic jams. I don't have a car and my parents car are pretty old, early 90's, although both are in good conditions. So, no, I don't think I'm better than anybody. But I know foreign people don't know my country as it really is.

If you'd like to know more stuff, let me know. I'll be here.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:34 PM   #72
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) The country is too focused on races. Who cares? It's great to understand your heritage, but when it comes to political and social issues in the United States, we're all "American" and nothing more.
Amen, brother Steve! I like you, a good, solid Republican.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:57 AM   #73
Said Eyes
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) Long stuff about Brazil
Wow. Very insightful stuff there. What part of Brazil are you from? Is there a mix of races in the more developed areas, or is it quite segregated? Is there any tension between white Brazilians and black Brazilians like there is the US? Do many people cross the border from living in the slums to living in the fancy neighbourhoods? What kind of government is in power at the moment, and do they try and help out the poorer people, (ie. Are there any government programs that try and help the less fortunate?) or is it all screwed up by the massive corruption you spoke of?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #74
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Said Eyes) Wow. Very insightful stuff there. What part of Brazil are you from? Is there a mix of races in the more developed areas, or is it quite segregated? Is there any tension between white Brazilians and black Brazilians like there is the US? Do many people cross the border from living in the slums to living in the fancy neighbourhoods? What kind of government is in power at the moment, and do they try and help out the poorer people, (ie. Are there any government programs that try and help the less fortunate?) or is it all screwed up by the massive corruption you spoke of?

I'm from São Paulo City (capital of SP State), Southeast. SP is the largest city in Brazil, and the most developed as well. It's the Business capital of ours. SP has about 12 million habitants and comparing to USA cities, it'd be like New York.

You wouldn't believe how races are mixed here, specially in big cities. We have a lot of Dutch descendents in Northeast, for example, when a long. If you go to the 3 states from BR South, black people are practically rare. You'll only find blond with blue eyes people, since it's where people from Italy, Germany, Holland and other European countries immigrated. SP has a large concentration of Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Jewish and Asians, along with other Europeans. In the country of SP state, you'll find a city called Americana, founded by Americans. They only speak English there, but now they're on their 3rd generation, it seems they're not stick to their roots anymore. There's a dutch city as well.

There aren't any racial segregation/tensions/riots as we (used to) see in US. Of course you'll always find people that think they're superior to the others. But you can pick various reasons, not only race, such as social class (wealth), sex, etc. But people are like that. I'm not saying we're strawberry fields!

About crossing the borders... well, there are no borders! Richness and Poverty live side by side. You can go to a neighbourhood that's like our Beverly Hills and find those huge residencial buildings that are next to a slum. And many people from this slum work at those buildings. It's such a paradox land.

Right now the goverment here is a goverment that won the elections for the first time. They were always opposition, the kind that always tried to ruin things situation proposed, no matter how good it was. You can tell I don't like it. Luiz Inacio Silva, aka Lula, is the president. He was a metallurgist that got involved with Labor Unions and led lots of strikes in the past. Never got to college... but he's too populist you know? He lost election 4 times before the last one. The previous goverment was brilliant. The president was re-elected and he was fixing this country, but then we had crisis in Russia, Asia and Argentina that affected our Economy, so the unemployement rate went high. The speech from Lula was what the poor wanted to hear... Like if the previous goverment never cared for social agenda. Now he's in power, he launched a "hunger zero" program that's only advertisement, since it doesn't work. So, when he realize that all his ideas were failing, he joined all of the previous goverment programs, changed the project names and brags about it. And from a guy that was pretty marxist, he learned well. His economic staff is brilliant. Our Central Bank President (like the Fed) dropped his FleetBoston's CEO job to assume this new gig! Quite a transformation for who wanted to call default on IMF and globalization.

Unfortunaly, many from Lula's party has antiquated and lefty ideas, but they're learning fast. Last year, the Brazilian Stock Market's valorization was over 100%, going from 11000 pts in January to 23000 pts in December.

But here we always had a good public healthy policies. For example, HIV positives get their medical drugs for free. Many, many people get drugs for free, from the goverment. Of couse the majority of hospitals aren't first world, but we have many first world hospitals that admit people for surgery, cancer treatment, heart diseases and stuff. Surgeries as well, from plastic to brain and transplants (plastic only when people for suffer accidents, not for beauty reasons). I have a friend (actually my dad's friend) who lived in California for 2 years, he says the Public Health System here is much better than in US. It's not paradise, otherwise I wouldn't have to pay for private healthcare.

In sum, we got the best from the best and the worst from the worst, living together in the same place.

I don't know, but I feel Brazil is getting better, despite all the problems we have, we're developing. Things will chance for the best.