++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 06-19-2003, 02:59 AM   #1
StappStalker
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
What do you think?

Basicly what im trying to say is im in Stapp's shoes.I was born into the Catholic religion and went to church 3 days a week with my grandma until i was 9 because she died and now i dont think i should go to church but i do believe in god and especially with the things that have been going on with the priests. My mom been saying that we need to go to church and i asked her can we still believe in god and not go to church and she says we need to go to church.And im 18 i should be able to make my own decision what do think?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:07 AM   #2
Lechium
USER INFO »
Going to church has nothing to do with being spiritual person.
I dont like idea that you have to go to church every weak, cuz it's kinda dumb. You should go there when you feel a need, have a question that needs to be answered, and such.
Follow your heart not callendar.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:32 AM   #3
StappStalker
USER INFO »
True you can be a spiritual person and not go to church. But if i follow my heart i think i will be outcast by my family since they all go to church. But there are people in my family that go to church and praise god but they talk behind their backs about other family members which puisses me off.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:32 AM   #4
StappStalker
USER INFO »
sorry pisses mispelled
Old 06-19-2003, 03:54 AM   #5
Lechium
USER INFO »
Church should be a spiritual activity, not social.
You seem to want to go there b/c of social aspect, as in your family peer pressure. If you do, you loose the whole original point of going to church -- to seek whataver is past this phycial world, and instead you go to church to find acceptance in your social group.
Bottom line: if yor fam really puses you -- go there. But if you go to church because of them, than you'll need to do extra work on yoru own, because what you gonna do would not be a spiritual activity.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
JenRN
USER INFO »
I agree, you don't have to attend church to be a spiritual person. I was raised a lot like Stapp and I feel that is one of the reasons I connected to his lyrics so much. I was raised a strict catholic for the first 13 years of my life then my mother switched to methodist. Then to confuse me even more 2 years later she became "born again" and attended an Assembly of God church, talk about TOTALLY different, my father stayed catholic and I was forced to go to church with my mother, talk about rebelling!!!!! Growing up several times I was told "you are going to go to hell if you don't do this or that" and I the strong minded person I was rebelled BIG TIME!!!! I was kicked out of the house at age 17 for awhile and it made things VERY difficult! So here I am at age 30 and I consider myself a very spiritual person, I believe in Christ and find great comfort in prayer and reading of the bible. I don't feel that because I don't go to church that I am not spritual, I really just have not found a church to "fit me" I guess? I have found that some are very pushy and want you to believe in "thier interpration of the word" so how do you know who's interpretation is correct? I attended a Catholic university and let me tell you I gave those priests a run for thier money I ALWAYS started the debates in theology classes, I always asked the questions everyone else was to chicken to ask! So my suggestion to you is follow your heart, if you feel you need to be a member of a church then go. But if you are still finding your way, take your time and don't let others influence your decision, it is you own personal choice!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 06-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
Sheila63
USER INFO »
I totally agree. I definitely consider myself to be a spiritual person and I believe in God. Thanks to my strong faith, prayer reading the Bible and my beliefs I've survived some tough times in my life. I did go to church every week when I was growing up as well and I did go for awhile when I was in my early 30s. But I don't believe you have to go to church to be a spiritual person. I've had some prodfound, spiritual moments in the last year and half where it was just me, God and nature. Believe me, those moments were more fulfilling, meaningful and POWERFUL than anything I ever experienced in a church. I believe it's a personal choice that each person has to make for themselves.

Relearn Love
Old 06-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
hmm, whatever you decide to do, have this in mind:

-There´s no such thing as perfect church. People who go to church are people like you, who sin, who fall and shake the dust off to walk again. Going to church can be very disappointing if you´re expecting a place of saints (if they were saints, they would be in Heaven and not in church), specially if you get really involved with it, you´ll find dirty and gossip about its members and ministers.

It´s a 2 ways road. There are people in church who are further from God than people who don´t step in church.

Everyone and everything has problems. Why church wouldn´t??? The basic idea of church was to be a place so people could get together to support and help each other to keep a better relationship with God.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I agree with Marcos
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
JenRN
USER INFO »
Very good point Marcos!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 06-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
Lechium
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
hmm, whatever you decide to do, have this in mind:

-There´s no such thing as perfect church. People who go to church are people like you, who sin, who fall and shake the dust off to walk again. Going to church can be very disappointing if you´re expecting a place of saints (if they were saints, they would be in Heaven and not in church), specially if you get really involved with it, you´ll find dirty and gossip about its members and ministers.

It´s a 2 ways road. There are people in church who are further from God than people who don´t step in church.

Everyone and everything has problems. Why church wouldn´t??? The basic idea of church was to be a place so people could get together to support and help each other to keep a better relationship with God.

But what is the point of going to church every sunday? Why make it a routine?
I think you should go and talk to priest 1on1 when you have some questions, that's about it.
Sitting and listening them read a passage you already know, and than do the analysis you already know also is a waste of time.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:02 AM   #12
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
Church should be a spiritual activity, not social.
You seem to want to go there b/c of social aspect, as in your family peer pressure. If you do, you loose the whole original point of going to church -- to seek whataver is past this phycial world, and instead you go to church to find acceptance in your social group.
Bottom line: if yor fam really puses you -- go there. But if you go to church because of them, than you'll need to do extra work on yoru own, because what you gonna do would not be a spiritual activity.

Very nicely said, Lechium.

In my opinion, if you truly feel you want to go to church, go somewhere by yourself, where it's completly quiet, and pray. Pray to find out what church you should go to. Listen to advice from your friends, don't ever turn down an invitation, and if evangelists come knock on your door, no matter what religion they are, listen to them, and ask them questions. Always put yourself in a situation where you can recieve spiritual guidance. Pray about it every morning and night, do activities during the day that help you stay in touch with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Also, I'll be praying for you, and maybe other members of this forum will. Most importantly of all, listen to your heart.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 06-20-2003, 01:02 AM   #13
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
But what is the point of going to church every sunday? Why make it a routine?
I think you should go and talk to priest 1on1 when you have some questions, that's about it.
Sitting and listening them read a passage you already know, and than do the analysis you already know also is a waste of time.

well, some go to see and chat with their friends

Some go to appear and show his new car/clothes/watches...

Some go to find a b/f or a g/f

Some go coz they have tasks at Church. You know, in order to keep it organized, like secretary, finance man, etc...

Some go coz no matter what, you can always find confort on the words of the pastor that´s preaching that mornings. And you can really feel connected with God while in Church, specially during Praising and Singing moments. There are beautiful songs/hymns in most of the churches...

So, Leechium, you can choose one of the above.

PS: I go to church every Saturday morning, not Sundays
Old 06-22-2003, 07:55 PM   #14
StrubesGuitar
USER INFO »
Yeah, i actually had a BIG discussion about this in doctrine class. What i think is that u don't have to go to church, but it is best to because of fellowship w/other believers, encouragement, listening to the Word, etc. I go to church and i don't think i could ever stop. Just being around other believers makes me feel good. And that whole "follow your heart" thing sounds new age-like.

"What consumes your thoughts controls your life"

BBBBBBBAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:49 PM   #15
Lechium
USER INFO »
Doctrine Class?
you go to a religious school?
well that explains a lot