++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #1
hide
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
jerry cantrell article!

i trust Dogstar has seen this! Seems that AIC re-forming isn't an impossible task although replacing Layne isn't the easiest thing to do.

After enduring the overdose of his bandmate and severing ties with his label, former Alice in Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell is putting his life back together and enjoying the reconstruction.

"The past couple of years have been rough,"

E-Mail this story to a friend

Cantrell admitted. And how. Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley died on the first date of Cantrell's tour in support of his 2002 album, Degradation Trip, which meant the end of Alice in Chains (see "Layne Staley Died From Mix Of Heroin, Cocaine, Report Says"). "It was a lot to get used to," Cantrell said, "but I'm in a much different space now."

A far more productive one, too. Since Cantrell moved from Seattle to Los Angeles eight months ago, he has written several new songs, recorded with numerous other high-profile rockers and played with some of his favorite musicians. He's also been in communication with former Chains bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney, and plans to jam with them later this month.

"We don't have any expectations," he stressed. "We're gonna get in a room, have a little fun and see what goes down. Anything's possible."

Inez and Kinney performed on Cantrell's 1998 solo album, Boggy Depot, but haven't played with him since Alice disbanded. Cantrell was busy working on other solo material with other musicians, but that wasn't the only reason for the separation.

"I was kinda waiting to see if the Alice thing would ever materialize again," he said. "But I really miss playing with those guys."

Even if nothing magical happens with Inez and Kinney, if the last six months are any indication, Cantrell will remain busy. A top priority is writing new material and figuring out what to do with the tunes he wrote last year, which he said are unlike anything he's previously recorded. "It's really its own thing," he said. "I'm not sure which direction I'm gonna go with them, but the music's great. It's definitely a next chapter, which is satisfying."

One of the tracks features vocals by Cantrell's friend, Filter frontman Richard Patrick. After the recording, Patrick returned the favor by having Cantrell record guitar riffs that may end up on the next Filter album.

Cantrell is also excited about "Ashes to Ashes," a track he recorded last November with Damageplan, the brutal metal band consisting of former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell and drummer Vinnie Paul (see "Damageplan Put Pantera Behind Them With New Found Power"). The song, submitted for the "Punisher" film soundtrack, features Cantrell on vocals alongside Damageplan singer Patrick Lachman, Cantrell said.

"It happened around Thanksgiving," he recalled. "I went hunting with my dad and brother, and we bagged a deer and then headed down to Dallas. I always give Darrell some of my kill, and we ended up hanging out. He had a tune he wanted me to check out, and it was great. So he said, 'We don't have any vocals on this. Why don't you try to throw something down?' I was really tired 'cause it was like 6 a.m., but he was really persistent. So I threw something down and it became this great track that sounds like Pantera crossed with Alice in Chains."

Visiting another musical dimension, Cantrell entered the studio two weeks ago with veteran rockers Heart to record a solo for "Fallen Ones," scheduled to appear on the group's upcoming album. "The song is really rocking and soulful, and that was fun," he said. "They guested on [Alice in Chains' 1992 EP] Sap, so we've been friends for a long time."

Cantrell recently played two gigs with supergroup cover band Camp Freddy, which also features Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, former Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and Cult guitarist Billy Duffy. The experience inspired Cantrell to schedule a jam session with Smith and talk to Duffy about forming their own cover band.

Camp Freddy played at a Houston Super Bowl party, and earlier that day Cantrell did a solo show as part of Sammy Hagar's Super Bash.

On February 22 in Seattle, Cantrell will help celebrate the music of Jimi Hendrix. The guitarist will join Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Billy Cox of Hendrix's Band of Gypsies for versions of "Hey Joe," "Manic Depression," "Spanish Castle Magic" and "Stone Free," the latter of which will feature vocals by Bad Company's Paul Rodgers.

Later this year, Columbia Records plans to release a double-disc "essential" Alice in Chains compilation, which will likely mean more performance and promotion obligations for Cantrell.

"The funny thing is, I didn't plan to be this busy, it's just happening," Cantrell said. "I actually slated some time to chill out in my new hometown and write. But all these opportunities have presented themselves just from hanging out with my buddies. It's a great thing, and I'm really happy to be in the space I'm at."
Old 02-11-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
YES, I did . It's good to see that he's happy and productive again. I can't wait for a tour!!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:06 AM   #3
hide
USER INFO »
so is there any talk whatsoever of Alice in Chains getting back together espesically if things go well with the other members? Who are singers that would be in contention do you think? Would they consider using Alice in Chains as their name?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Heh, there is raging debate on this whole thing at the Jerry boards, LOL...right now, they're just going to jam and see what happens. Could be that they play his solo stuff, or that they write new stuff, I don't know. There hasn't been any mention of replacing Layne. It may just be the three of them. I would hope if they do reform and they do find another singer that they don't use the Alice name. Alice to me included Layne, and to me, Alice died with Layne, sadly.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
hide
USER INFO »
ummm you are right on they can't use the Alice name! While Jerry does a great job singing I think it would be better for them to find themselves a real top line singer. They could play some new material, some Jerry stuff, some AIC, Mad Season and the like.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Exactly. I have thoroughly enjoyed his solo stuff and he can still continue with that and still have the other band. He's been making the rounds, guesting on all sorts of projects. Right now, he's playing in the Hendrix Experience tribute shows on the West Coast. I hope there's enough interest to bring that show East. I would go in a hearbeat!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:24 AM   #7
hide
USER INFO »
cool can you keep me posted on any developments?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Absolutely!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
hide
USER INFO »
Dogstar one question what is the general consensus if they do form a band, Jerry takes main vocal duties or they find a new singer? If I want to look around at their board what is the address?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:40 AM   #10
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
There seems to be a feeling that if he's going to get back with the Chains boys that he should find another singer. But many also think he should leave the Alice name out of it if he does that. Many also don't think there is any vocalist out there who could ever match Layne. It's a chemistry thing, I guess. There are a lot of opinions on it...

I'll warn you now, the Jerry board I frequent is unmoderated and there is a lot of crap, fighting, bs, you name it, that goes on over there, people posting under multiple names and flaming others. It can get pretty ugly...It's still under the Roadrunner label, so tread lightly, LOL...You can find the cool threads, but you have to wade through a ton of BS ...

its:
www.jerrycantrell.com
Old 03-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hey, hide, just a little update for ya in case you're wondering...Jerry's song with Damageplan is definitely going to be on the Punisher soundtrack. There's a clip of it here:
http://www.punishermusic.com/music.html

Pretty kick-a** vocals and guitars...Can't wait for the whole thing. Also, rumor has it Jerry, Sean Kinney and Mike Inez did some jamming after one of the Experience Hendrix shows that took place out West in the last few weeks. He said on March 6 (according to Blabbermouth. com) that they likely will play together in the future. He also said he has seven songs done for his third solo album ...I can't wait for that.

And, it may be soon that he will announce a deal with a new label. The official Roadrunner site/message board has been down for two days, so there is lots of speculation that his people are working on a new web site with whoever the new label is... His association with RR can't end soon enough for me!

Also, his manager, Bill Siddons, who hasn't said boo publicly about Jerry in quite a long time brought up some of the stuff he's been working on.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #12
hide
USER INFO »
hey Dogstar like time no see!

Thanks for the update some exiting rumour/news there would be great if they made some music again. That Punisher soundtrack looks not bad! A few artists such as Jerry/Damageplan, QOTSA and Submersed leave me really wanting this album but others are really here nor there. I will pick it up though, just not dying for it! Velvet Revolver I am really looking forward to!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Heya, hide, nice to see you back! Yeah, I can't wait for Velvet Revolver, too, and for the Punisher soundtrack, just for the Jerry tune ...plus, the other groups like QOTSA and SubmerseD.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:09 AM   #14
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Heya, hide, nice to see you back! Yeah, I can't wait for Velvet Revolver, too, and for the Punisher soundtrack, just for the Jerry tune ...plus, the other groups like QOTSA and SubmerseD.

I guess "Complicated" must be a song that won't appear on "All Things Becoming of the End"? This would be the last track done before Nick Oliveri left right? I read an article the other day where Josh said Mark Lanegan was still sticking around contary to previous reports.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:27 AM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Really? I thought Lanegan was done, too. That's cool. I love his voice! That's such a bummer about Nick, as he was one of the originals...Yeah, I'm not sure what the QOTSA song is, as I've been paying so much attention to the Jerry/Damageplan tune .