++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #61
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
any single from this album yet? Hopefully Complicated can get a bit of airplay. Kerri does Jerry front Damageplan or is he playing lead or both?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:19 PM   #62
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
He sings the verses and the Damageplan guy, I think his name is Pat, sings/growls the chorus. Jerry and Dimebag D play the geetars, but I'm not sure who's doing what. Anytime Jerry's involved, there is usually guitar layering involved. There is one little solo that sounds rather Jerry-ish to me . Damageplan wrote the riffs and Jerry wrote the lyrics from the info that's been posted on it on other sites. It happened over Thanksgiving weekend (late November in the states). They were visiting and Dimebag said to Jerry something like...hey, give this a listen, it sounds like old-school Alice In Chains. So Jerry supposedly locked himself away and came out with the lyrics in about 45 minutes...I can dig up the item (from blabbermouth.net)...
Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 PM   #63
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
sorry to get back to the topic, but I think rapping is just their way of expressing artistically their reality. Admiting most artists come from high crime rates areas, it's natural they sing about it.

That's why I think that was foolish.

Rap music isn't the cause. It's the consequence.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45 PM   #64
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Tremonti_Fed) sorry to get back to the topic, but I think rapping is just their way of expressing artistically their reality. Admiting most artists come from high crime rates areas, it's natural they sing about it.

That's why I think that was foolish.

Rap music isn't the cause. It's the consequence.

Rap is still a terrible influence for our youth and society. I don't think it's neccessary for a rapper to be expressing his reality if it will only corrupt others. The majority of rap today is pure crap. Rap either degrades women or has violent lyrics. Rap today is terrible, but I can't say it was in the 80's. I think Will Smith's type of rap is what should be played on our radio waves. This is positive music, not mainstream rap we hear today.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #65
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I agree with Marcos. And just because a rapper's reality isn't all rosey doesn't mean he shouldn't express it and make money off it if he so chooses. There are many realities in this world, some that need our help, not our shunning. I think sticking our heads in the sand isn't really a good way of dealing with realities that don't happen to be ours. Out of sight out of mind? I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking scares the daylights out of me. That kind of thinking is why so many in our country were shocked when 9/11 happened and maybe why all the warning signals were ignored. They've been out there for a long time.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:05 PM   #66
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I agree with Marcos. And just because a rapper's reality isn't all rosey doesn't mean he shouldn't express it and make money off it if he so chooses. There are many realities in this world, some that need our help, not our shunning. I think sticking our heads in the sand isn't really a good way of dealing with realities that don't happen to be ours. Out of sight out of mind? I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking scares the daylights out of me. That kind of thinking is why so many in our country were shocked when 9/11 happened and maybe why all the warning signals were ignored. They've been out there for a long time.

Actually, most rappers normally haven't lived a "thug life" so to speak or they don't care about it anymore. Really though, if a rapper did live a terrible life, then why does he rap about how much he sold out (big screens, dubs, Escalades)? Rap aims mostly at children and idiot kids that think they're "gangster". It's all a marketing gimmick. Stupid discriminating rap...
Old 03-26-2004, 04:25 AM   #67
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
I'm not a big fan of rap but Will Smith type music isn't going to appeal but lets face it, it is fun music with basically no substance. Perhaps that is better then a negative substance. The videos in that genre have a bit to be desired but artists such as Outkast, NERD and the like add something a little different. The Xcutioners as well perhaps! Old school was much better with Run DMC and the like.

Kerri just wondering what your favourite AIC or related album is? I'm thinking all AIC records, Jerry solo and Mad Season. For me you can't go past that raw energy in Dirt although Jar of Flies is also very good. Mad Season too is a super record.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #68
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hide, I agree with you. Plus, the other thing is, people have choices. They don't have to let their kids listen to music they find objectionable. They can wait until they think they can understand the concept of art.

Re: my favorite AIC album...This is always a difficult choice, hehehe. As jango likes to say, it would be like picking a favorite child, but if it came down to it, I would have to say Dirt. I loved Facelift as well, but with Dirt Alice really found its sound...A close second is Jar Of Flies. That is just one beautiful collection of music. And as you know, I'm nuts about Jerry's solo stuff and Mad Season .
Old 03-28-2004, 03:17 PM   #69
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Ok, I've listened to a few more songs and here are some other good ones (aside from Damageplan/Jerry and Submersed and QOTSA and Chevelle, and...)

Finding Myself by Smile Empty Soul. This is a really pretty song. Very melodic

Bleed by Puddle of Mudd. I can't believe I like one of their songs, LOL...but this one's good headbanging stuff.

Slow Chemical by Finger Eleven -- This has a kick-ass intro.

All songs I've heard this far is kick ass!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor