++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 AM   #1
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Nickelback / 3DD / Thornley Review

Well after getting home from an awsome concert I felt I had to write up a review really quick. SO here goes nothing...

I got there around 7:45 or so and Thornley had already started their set. My friend grabbed some food outside the Ampitheater and I ran into Jon (Collective Soul) from the forums here. That was kinda cool - meeting someone from the boards. I maneuvered (sp?) down to my seats which happened to be in the center section, row 3, seat 14/15 (dead smack in the middle, right in front of the lead singer's mic!). The sound was completely horrid for Thornley. They put on a great show - lots of energy from all the guys. They were all over the stage. However the bad part was that I could hear no vocals at all. All I heard was the feedback coming from the singer's monitors in front of him. Anytime the lead singer played his guitar, we couldn't hear any vocals at all. Aside from that issue I was really impressed with Thornley. At the end of their set they played a Big Wreck song!!!! I think it was The Oaf but I can't remember for sure.

Beer break! I went and spent $5 for a 16 oz plastic bottle of beer. Ugh!

Next it was 3 Doors Down. They played a tremendous set, including 2 brand new songs and 1 semi-new song (which is on the Another 700 Miles CD). One of the new songs was introduced as being written only three weeks ago. That was pretty cool. Overall I think that was the best I've ever seen 3 Doors Down perform. Only thing I disliked about them was their stage presence. One of the guitar players just stood their the entire show. The other guitarist walked around alot but that was about it. That was the only weakness I found in their set. They played all their hits and few others. For one song, Brad Arnold left the stage and went into the crowd, up the aisles, and stood on some makeshift stage halfway up in the Ampitheater. That was pretty cool. Another interesting highlight was right as Brad was walking back to the stage, a kid appeared on stage. He stood there in front of the drummer and kinda waved his hands in the air. Some puny security guard tried to get him to move but he kinda backed away from the guard and wouldn't move. All of a sudden this HUGE 300lb+ guy comes running on stage and tackles this kid. He turns him over on his stomach and tries to restrain him, then tries to pick him up and get him off the stage, but the kid wouldn't budge. He grabbed ahold of the stage set and wouldn't let go LOL. The rest of the band was kinda just watching this all unfold and laughing. Then a whole slew of security jumped up and finally got the kid off stage. Right before the next song, Brad Arnold says "Man I thought for a minute we had an extra band member" heh It was good to see the guys were joking about it and not making too big a deal of it.

After just over an hour, they finished their set. And yet another beer break!

Finally Nickelback takes the stage. Immediately you could feel the energy from them. That is the one thing I've always liked about Nickelback - they know how to work the stage and the audience. Their stage presence is just awsome. The jam through Flat on the Floor and Woke Up This Morning and then went into Someday and Leader of Men. They had some intense flames and pyros going on during a few of their songs - it was nicely integrated into their set. After Leader of Men I kinda lost track of the set, but they did play Feelin' Way To Damn Good and a tease of Sad But True. They also played Believe It or Not and Too Bad in there somewhere. At one point here Chad Kroeger was looking around at the audience and said something to the effect of "Man I want to just stop playing and come down and have a beer with you guys" - at which point a guy in the front row (just in front of me) hands his beer to Chad. Chad downs it and has the guitar tech Timmy bring out 6 bottles of beer for the people there in the front row!! That was awsome. They also did the "Beer-o-Clock" where they brought up like 50 glasses of 1/4 full beer and tossed them into the crowd. Then they finished their set, left, and came back for the encore. He introduced the encore by saying "Well this is banned in the UK but fuck it, we're going to play it here." and the entire audience just screamed the opening lines "I like your pants around your feet"

Also at one point in NB's set, Chad threw a guitar pick towards my area. It fell on the ground and everyone around me was trying to find it. They pulled out their lighters and were scouring the floor for it. I happened to spot it though and quickly snatched it up. I ended up with a Chad Kroeger guitar pick !!!

Overall I thought the best performance of the night was by 3 Doors Down. I'm more of a Nickelback fan than a 3DD fan but I just thought 3DD's set was much better. It sure seemed like their set was longer - maybe because their songs are a bit slower than NB's. My friend and I both thought that NB's set went by really quickly, and it seemed like they only played about 10 songs or so. In the end this was the best concert I've seen this whole year. All three bands put forth a great show. If this tour comes to your area you better hit it.

By the way, looking back from my seat it sure seemed like there was a near sellout crowd at the show - which means around 25,000 people!!!

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
mshoneybuns
USER INFO »
thanks so much for the review.. It's a shame about Thornley tho..I hate when bands cut out the sound on the opening bands...I have been to a ton of shows thinking the best was to be front row and only ended up disappointed that I couldn't hear the singer..
But I'm so glad to see the guys are still having beer o clock..
you know it's funny even time I see NB, it seems like they only play about 20 mins.. I guess it's just because I'm having so much fun listening to them..
it would be much appreciated if you could post over here.. they would love to see a review of the show..
http://pub141.ezboard.com/bnickelback76972
Old 07-01-2004, 05:31 AM   #3
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
cool sounds like a great show but too bad about thornley's sound problems. i'm not really into nickelback or 3dd but it sounds like both bands put on a great live show.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
farmgirl
USER INFO »
Currently:
Thanks for the review Steve. One of my sisters went to this show so now when she comes home and begins to tell me about it...I can say...I know.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve)
Only thing I disliked about them was their stage presence. One of the guitar players just stood their the entire show. The other guitarist walked around alot but that was about it. That was the only weakness I found in their set.

Steve, when we saw 3DD with Creed for the NYE show, the blond guy (not sure what his name is) just stood by his mic through the whole show. If you're looking at the stage, he's the one on the right side. He stood by his mic and really didn't move around a lot. Brad had great stage presence and the other guitarist (or maybe he was the bassist, not sure but he was the really cute one) was moving all over the stage. Glad to hear you had a great time.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hah, what Teri said about the blond guy. He just kind of looked at the ground a lot, LOL...BUMMER about Thornley. I'm digging them right now and that sucks that they had sound problems. Grrrr. Great review, though, and congrats on the pic! Eagle-eye Steve, he's our man!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
mshoneybuns: thanks for the link to that forum. I'll be bookmarking that

TeriB19: Yes the guitarist on the right - the blond one just stood there. The other guitarist was moving around but that was it. The bassist was actually all over the place - jumping around, jamming his head, etc.

Dogstar: Even though I could barely hear the vocals during Thornley's set, I knew what he was saying though, since I've also been into them lately. I've been playing their CD a lot. I was surprised when they played that Big Wreck song towards the end. Didn't think they would do that. Have you heard of Big Wreck? If not, check out their cd "In Loving Memory Of..." which is amazing. It's more on the light side compared to Thornley songs but it is very good. The singles off that CD I believe are called "The Oaf," "That Song," and "Blown Wide Open" (my favorite). Nickelback actually used to play "Blown Wide Open" on tour back in like 1999/2000 or so. I believe they have a few other CDs as well but this one is the only one I have currently.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 07-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #8
mshoneybuns
USER INFO »
no worries steve, there alot of old interviews/videos , etc in archives that you might enjoy..
I have been to 3DD a few times and I was always confused by the guy who stands there and then the bass guy who is so hyper and all over the place...It's a odd combo and always cracks me up...

I'm hoping Thornley gains some new fans from this leg of the tour.. I was so hoping to go to Austin last week to see them.. I was going to beg them to sing BWO and Mistake But instead I got a summer flu..grrrrrrrrrrrrr

anyway, here's a
pic of the show

Last edited by mshoneybuns : 07-01-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #9
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Sounds like it was fun. I went to the Tantric concert at Summerfest (which this Nickelback concert was also a part of) on Saturday night at the LAZER/Mountain Dew Rock stage which was awesome, but they had the same mic problems as Thornley, apparently. I couldn't really hear Hugo (the lead singer) and he doesn't even play guitar. They played a B-Side recorded for a NASCAR compilation that y'all should check out called "Cross the Line."

I had seen Tantric when they opened for Creed at the Bradley Center in Feb. 2002, and I recall them sucking. But, they were really good and seem a lot more polished now. I like their first album, but their new one is amazing, too. GET IT!!!! Todd Whitener is a fucking kick-ass guitarist and showed it in 15 minutes of dueling guitars with the 2nd guitarist during the encore!

Anybody else there on Saturday? I know we got a lot of Milwaukee people here...

I'm also known as Torn Daredevil and Spider-Man....

Last edited by Hellboy : 07-01-2004 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Add other personal info
Old 07-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
AWESOME review Steve!

Thnx for sharing... I wish I could've been there. I'm not a big 3dd-fan but I would have loved to see Nickelback & Thornley. Wow and were you lucky... a real Chad Kroeger guitarpick! Yeah I really do envy you!

I think it's still amazing to know that Myles Kennedy did the backing vocals on Big Wreck's song "Breakthrough" from their album "The Pleasure and the Greed" out of 2001... Has anyone ever heard that song??

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 07-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Steve, I just picked up Big Wreck's In Loving Memory Of... a couple of weeks ago and I'm liking it a lot! Good stuff!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Shadow
USER INFO »
What a great review Steve.

When you said a kid appeared on stage - I thought you meant a little kid (like one of the bandmembers) Until you said A 300 lb guy tackled him.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #13
JenRN
USER INFO »
GReat review Steve, I have pit seats for this show in a month and can't wait to go. This will be my 2nd time seeing 3DD. I can't wait to see Nickelback!!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 07-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
JenRN
USER INFO »
WEll I went to this show Wednesday night and it was GREAT!!!!!! It was a 5 1/2 hour show, and I had pit seat on the rail. It was so hot here in Virginia and it was an outside venue in Virginia Beach. I of course made the mad dash for the pit about 1 mile around the venue glad I have been working out because it was hell to run that far in the heat. Anyways..... I got to talk to Paul McCoy again for a long while, he is so nice, got to take some pics and all, he proudly displayed his new tattoo to me. I then got the chance to meet some of the guys from Puddle of Mudd too, they came out into the gate area where the pit people were waiting with wigs on, they are funny as crap. I recognized them and chatted with them, all the little teen girls had no idea who the hell they were. Some of the band members from 3DD and Nickelback came by on ATV's and we got to see them to. As far as the show, it was GREAT!!!!!! 12 Stones was as entertaining as usual, Paul got me with he damn super soaker AGAIN...... Puddle of Mudd was really good as well, I have never seen them live before. As far as I am concerned Nickelback stole the show.... they were INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Being so close to the stage and seeing them live was awesome.... I got the "full cups of beer" tossed to me from Chad and the bass player, they were trying to get us in the pit to catch them right side up, no such luck for me..... it ended up all over me, cooled me off though. I had on a white tank top and needless to say they kept thowing more on me..... gee wonder why? Anyways.... they tore the house down fireworks and all. 3DD was as incredible as I remember from the last time I seen them. Brad ended up in the middle of the venue during "Be like that" and it was cool, all of us pitters were wondering where the hell he went, we looked back and he was in the crowd. It was a great show, the music was superb and the summer air was hot..... If anyone has the chance to go to this show DO IT!!!!!!! It was GREAT!!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 07-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Jen, thanks for the great review! Glad you had such a good time!!