++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 02-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
whitebird
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Your City, Town, Country and People

I would like to understand the members better, by learning what their cities or countries are like, and the people who live there.

WeatheredWoman told alot about her country in the post Gays In Religion, and I am moving this subject to this thread, to make others happy. It was off the subject there.

I'll start. I live in a suburb around the Twin Cities in Minnesota US.A. When I moved here there was a corn field down the street, now it is changing very fast. It makes me rather sad, because I love nature and animals. Trees have been ripped down to make shopping areas, and the deer that I have loved seeing comming to my yard, have been shot by people who thought it would make it easier for them to develop the land with them gone. I did not learn about this until after they had killed them. Development of the land in our country, has some terrible prices.

The people here in my town are varied, but there are mostly families, and there are alot of children. Many homes are being built in the area, and farmland is being sold off for development.

I love the nature in Minnesota. We are called "The Land Of 10,000 Lakes". Although we actually have more than that in our state. It is very green and lush in the Summer, wonderful colors in the Fall with the leaves changing, white with snow in the Winter, and in the Spring we start fresh with new growth.

Laws are different here from what WeatheredWoman described in her country.
Driving is 16 years of age, drinking is 21 years, and marijuana is not legal. Sometimes it seems to me like Minnesota is a bit more reserved than other states, such as California, but I have heard people from other countries and states describe the people here as friendly. There are always exceptions of course. Crime in the suberbs is much less than in some of the larger cities, but we do not leave our doors unlocked, because it is changing.

Please check out WeatheredWomans post in the previous thread it is really interesting. If it can be moved here, that would be great. I'm just not sure how to do that. WeatheredWoman I'll post some feedback on your post later, I would like to see if we can move it here first.

Steve, let me know if this is too long.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
creedsister
USER INFO »
Ha i will it was too darn long girl friend !!!!!sorry i couldnt help my self!!! i will reply to this thread later!!!
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 02-24-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) A question for WeatheredWoman. How does the Netherlands differ in regard to acceptance of others different then themselves? Many people on this thread are from the U.S.A., and I feel that often I am limited in learning about other cultures. I know that may seem like an huge question, but if you share just a little, I would appreciate it.

Ok I will try to tell a little bit... hope I spell everything correct and my grammar isn't sometimes all that!

The Netherlands was in my opinion a very tolerant land and still is in many ways...

According to gay people... Amsterdam is Gay City over here. We've got every year a Gay Parade and a Gay Pride through the waters of Amsterdam. Gay couples can get married over here, that's legal. I have some gay friends too just like some of you.

Prostitution is legalized. So prostitutes do pay taxes as well.
Abortion is legalized.
Marihuana/weed is legal at a certain level, therefore the many "coffeeshops" in Amsterdam... a user may have a little amount of drugs in his possession for own use. You may have a maximum of 5 marihuana plants in your own home. Alcohol is legalized for kids from 16 and up.
But according to driving a car we're allowed to drive a car on the age of 18 and that's 16 in your country.

So far what still is very tolerated in this small country with about 15 a 16 million people.

Most people over here like to compare the Netherlands today with the U.S. of A. 10 years ago. We were never familiar with safety at schools... like gun-control that sounded so crazy to us 2 years ago but now we have it too.

Holland is multi-cultural actually! Especially Amsterdam... we've got Turks, Marocs and people from the Netherland Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) livin' here. But we can feel right now in the community that there are many cultural and religious differences. It was a very relaxed country but by mixing with the people I've mentioned before... the problems began. Marocs and Turks have got some kind of revange-out-of-honor in their culture that gives them a certain right to commit a murder in case of "family-problems".

Now I must speak on behalf of myself mostly, but in my opinion their culture lies about a hundred years behind ours and that can't be mixed. They have so many problems integrating in our country. The men out of these countries are used to very humble women, so they keep their women in their houses and stuff. That's weird in a very emancipated country as Holland.

About two weeks ago a teacher was shot through the head by a turkish boy, marocs and turks stabbing people, shootings, slaughtering of goats, sheeps on their balcony or in their backyard etc.... Dutch people were not familiar with that sort of violence. So now we're dealing with these kind of problems... and I can feel that people are gettin' a certain hatred against those people. But that is a feeling that grows slowly but resistant. That's because our government has denied these problems at first and now it's getting a huge problem. They are actually breeding racism that way... I'm a bit concerned 'bout the future in that particular case. The people are beginning to refer to "future" city-names like Amsterdam is going to be Islamsterdam, Amersfoort is going to be named Imamersfoort... ok they're makin' fun about it right now but it's a serious problem.

We are gettin' also ghetto's over here... never had! The difference between poor and rich is getting bigger and bigger.

Further on Dutch people are very down to earth, not over-dramaticly... when someone acts a bit over the top we like to say : hey don't be so american LOL!! I think we're called greedy too... But hey this is all generalization! Every person is unique.

According to acceptance it's mostly in the big(ger) cities where everyone will be accepted the way he/she is... in the smaller cities it's lesser. But in my opinion that's equal in America or wherever you may go...

And we're living in a relative small country with so many people. The lesser space people get the more aggresive they get... things will get on your nerves much easier.

The acceptance is growing low, going downhill.

I hope that this answer your question a little bit whitebird. (I've copied it from the other thread and paste it over here)

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God
Old 02-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Nicknames: The Lithium, Lith, Sebbe, Sebb, Basse
Picture: Here you go
Live in: Stockholm, Sweden
People living in Sweden: Almost 9 million. Sure, Sweden is a big country, but very few live here
People living in Stockholm: 1 million. Not a big city, but it's the biggest in the north and scandenavia
Instrument: I sing but I play drums and guitar as well. I also act very much
Influesed by: CREED, Metallica, Nickelback, Jennifer Garner Submersed, Fuel, etc
Favorit film: Moulin Rouge and Daredevil
Favorit actress: Jennifer Garner
Favorit album: Weathered
Favorit band: Creed, what did you expect?
Favorit member: Hard to say... Don't actually have one. It's always diffrent, but I'm a writer and singer, so I'm looking up very much to Stapp, but Mark and Flip is just as cool anyway, right?
Work: School right now, but I wanna be a rockstar and I also wanna act. Like Stapp
Family: I live with my mom (44), dad(44), a younger brother (12) and my dog (6 mouth).
Anything else: Pleace ask me or pm me if you wanna know something else or some more.

Peace

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor

Last edited by THE LITHIUM : 02-24-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) WeatheredWoman told alot about her country in the post Gays In Religion, and I am moving this subject to this thread, to make others happy.

I've been in the Netherlands once, when I toured there. Belive be, the only thing they eat is bread and drugs!! (Almost ture)

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) I've been in the Netherlands once, when I toured there. Belive be, the only thing they eat is bread and drugs!! (Almost ture)

LMAO!!!!!

"Can you take me higher...."

Well you know you have been in Sweden too long, when.... :

- you get offended if, at a dinner party, someone fails to look you in the eyes after raising their glass for a toast.

- an outside temperature of 0 degrees Celsius in winter is mild.

- you associate Friday afternoon with a trip to "system bolaget"

- you have your own "innebandy-stick"

- "candles" are a permanent fixture on your weekly shoppinglist

- the first thing you do on entering a bank/post office/pharmacy etc. is look for the queue number machine and you accept that you will have to queue to take a queue number

- you eat every thursday a meal of pancakes with soup

Tell us all about it Lith!! We're curious

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 02-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
whitebird
USER INFO »
WeatheredWoman, thanks for moving your thread. I'm still impressed with all the information you gave us. I had to laugh when you said that when people are a little over the top, they are compared to Americans. I think that perhaps the movie industry in the U.S. has a little influence on the world, that shows us that way. Many lead very quiet lives, no guns, cowboys, wild lives or drugs. Although we do have all those things in our society, just not how movies would make it seem.

I was interested in the laws in your country, that are so different than ours. I have known that other countries were more relaxed than the U..S.A. regarding alcohol, but I didn't know about weed/pot. There are mixed feelings here about that, and some people want to use it for medical purposes. The Republicans in office now would never change that law. Our president is also proposing to change the U.S. constitution, so that gay marriages would never be legal. You of course know my views on that subject, and I am for gay marriage, but many in our country are very against it.

Many people are immigrating to the U.S.A. too, we just have more areas and land still available than your country has, and I can understand how is stressful to have very different cultures living closley together, when their ways and customs do not blend well. Time will hopefully help.

Being a woman in both our countries seems very much alike, as we have freedom that some countries do not have. I can understand what you mentioned about people killing family members in their own culture as now becoming a problem in your country. I am surprised that your country didn't take this very seriously right from the start. We probably have that too, I just haven't heard anything.

Lith, you sound like you have a really interesting life. Lots of interests, and a very interesting future. What are the people in Sweden like compared to our two posts so far? And do you travel alot? You mentioned that you visited the Netherlands.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
creedsister
USER INFO »
Were I Live

Well theres nothing Exciting Here Football Is God Like!! dear hunting which im against is big only on halloween do i fit in here!!! But we got a lot of vistors Here From all over the world To vist The shrine the most blessed sachrement!!! People come there for healing Of sickness!!] And thats about it!!}
Hush child I,ll tell you why you have Loved Me when you were weak you have given me unselfishly Kept you From Falling Falling everywhere But Your Kness you set me free to live my life you become my Reason To Survive The Great Divide you Set Me Free Ooh Our Love Is Beautiful Ooh isn,t This Beautiful Child It Seems You Have Been My Everything
Old 02-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
whitebird
USER INFO »
Creedsister What shrine?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #10
creedsister
USER INFO »
the shrine of the most blessed Sachrament
Old 02-24-2004, 02:18 PM   #11
whitebird
USER INFO »
Creedsister, I checked it out briefly on the internet, I like that they said "All Are Welcome"
Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
GeeK_2004
USER INFO »
Lith. is such a cutie !!

So break yourself against my stones
And spit your pity in my soul
You never needed any help
You sold me out to save yourself
And I won't listen to your shame
You ran away - you're all the same
Angels lie to keep control...
My love was punished long ago
If you still care, don't ever let me know
If you still care, don't ever let me know...

"Snuff" - Slipknot
Old 02-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #13
creedsister
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Creedsister, I checked it out briefly on the internet, I like that they said "All Are Welcome"
yes everbody is welcome there its such a holy place!!! And that dont turn nobody away!! its pretty cool
Old 02-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #14
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) WeatheredWoman, thanks for moving your thread. I'm still impressed with all the information you gave us. I had to laugh when you said that when people are a little over the top, they are compared to Americans. I think that perhaps the movie industry in the U.S. has a little influence on the world, that shows us that way. Many lead very quiet lives, no guns, cowboys, wild lives or drugs. Although we do have all those things in our society, just not how movies would make it seem.

LOL!! Yes I have to agree with you that we've got all that Hollywood kinda stuff on tv... gossip-magazines etc. ... plastic surgery... (teens are gettin' nose-jobs for their 16th or 18th birthday??!!!! ) all that what we call "fake" stuff! Our showbusiness is very much down to earth! Just act normal, than you act silly enough -->> that's a Dutch saying, LOL!

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) I was interested in the laws in your country, that are so different than ours. I have known that other countries were more relaxed than the U..S.A. regarding alcohol, but I didn't know about weed/pot. There are mixed feelings here about that, and some people want to use it for medical purposes. The Republicans in office now would never change that law.

Well I guess that's what Holland is famous for... drugs! I'm not very proud of that but alcohol is drugs too! But that's more common and tolerated... in fact alcohol does even do more damage when you're addicted to it!
When you know how to use any kind of drugs in a safe way... it's ok! Ancient tribes use/used it too. Anything that stands for "too much" or "addiction" or "an escape out of reality" isn't right! Right now they are trying to get some kind of marihuana in Health Care... to become prescripted drugs. (grammar??)

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Our president is also proposing to change the U.S. constitution, so that gay marriages would never be legal. You of course know my views on that subject, and I am for gay marriage, but many in our country are very against it.

Hey! Let them get married! They have the right to suffer from marriage as much as we (heterosexuals) do too!! LOL!!! j/k
Yes they have every right!! Definately!

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Many people are immigrating to the U.S.A. too, we just have more areas and land still available than your country has, and I can understand how is stressful to have very different cultures living closley together, when their ways and customs do not blend well. Time will hopefully help.

Being a woman in both our countries seems very much alike, as we have freedom that some countries do not have. I can understand what you mentioned about people killing family members in their own culture as now becoming a problem in your country. I am surprised that your country didn't take this very seriously right from the start.

It all started back in the early 70s when there was too much (dirty) work and too little (Dutch) people to clean that "dirty" work. Our government decided to "import" at first italians and then turks and marocs to our country because they were very cheap employees. They're coming ever since way back when, when it all started. The children of those people and their children are raised in a 2-cultured way... what leaves them very insecure,because of the very big differences between the cultures! All those people have got 2 passports (??) and 2 residences (living-places)...that's sooo weird! Just like they're all schizophrenic I hope for sure that time will heal this but I'm affraid it will get worse and worse!

Thnx for giving your vision on all of this whitebird!
This is a great thread!!!

Souls...
Go...
Sow...
Grow...

Old 02-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #15
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I live in Ferguson Missouri, its about a 20 minute drive from the city of st louis. Some of the people here are very self centered and crude sometimes, but there are also a lot of nice people here as well! This place is starting to really grow on me for some reason. Although some days I feel like packing my bags and splittin, there are also days that if I had to leave I'd miss it! I have made some very good friends here
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot