++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
"Creed Live" DVD Review

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...ew-creed-live/

It's sometimes hard to remember just how insanely successful Creed once were. Their first three albums, My Own Prison, Human Clay and Weathered, sold 6 million, 11 million, and 6 million copies respectively. All told, they shifted over 35 million records, yet you'd be hard pushed to find anyone admitting to owning one, or a critic with a kind word to say about them. Which is peculiar, because they actually wrote some excellent songs.

For sure, the whole Christian rock-band thing seems to alienate some people. And that's also peculiar, because I'd rather have a band who appear to be seeking some kind of spiritual resolution than yet another Motley Crue wannabee banging on about how many groupies they've had and how many ants they've snorted. Yes, Hinder, I'm referring to you. But the career of Creed seemed to have been blown out of the water when singer Scott Stapp took a left hand turn into the world of the party-hard rock star and, in 2004, the band ground to a halt.

Afterward, they brought back their old bass player, hired a new singer, and continued on a similar path as Alter Bridge. They were reasonably successful, with both albums going Top 20 in the USA, as did Stapp's sole solo record. So it was a surprise when Creed announced they were getting back together, spurred on by Stapp apologizing to his former bandmates. Their reunion album got to Number Two on the US charts—with only the late Michael Jackson keeping them from the top spot—and they headed out on tour, resulting in this Live DVD. A rather good one it is too.

Filmed in front of a sold-out crowd in Texas, Creed haven't stinted on the production values, with 239 cameras in play, capturing the born again band in fine fettle. Naturally, it's the classics that people want to hear, and there's plenty of them on this 17-track DVD, from the high octane opener, "Bullets" through to an encore that includes "One," "One Last Breath" and "Higher." It's fair to say that the fan favorite is still their Number One hit, "With Arms Wide Open," but there's a good reception as well for new material like "Overcome" and "A Thousand Faces" from the new Full Circle album, which slots easily and comfortably into the classic Creed, post-grunge sound.

They've brought in the legendary Andy Johns to mix the concert audio, and it really leaps out of the speakers. For the techy folk out there, there's 5.1 Surround Sound as well as Standard 5.1, Stereo and DTS audio streams. They've even used the "Big Freeze" special effects gimmick, first developed for The Matrix movie.

However, the bonus features are a bit on the skimpy side. There's the obligatory Behind the Scenes documentary from the tour, a photo gallery, and (here's the giveaway) a trailer for the upcoming deluxe box set. Yes, they're plugging the special edition on the regular edition, something guaranteed to annoy even the mildest-mannered fan.

That version will, apparently, include a full feature-length film about the history of Creed, a live audio CD and special collectors' items such as a T-shirt, poster and a backstage pass from the tour. So, regardless of how good this release is—and it is an excellent concert—you may want to save up your Christmas gift tokens for the fancy schmancy deluxe version.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
BSC
USER INFO »
Re: "Creed Live" DVD Review

Nice to see a positive review, however most of it was based around the history of Creed, and there was very little mention of the DVD itself.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

a pretty bad review...

http://geeksofdoom.com/2009/12/06/dv...ew-creed-live/
Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by XALTERBRIDGEX) a pretty bad review...

"Creed is not a rock and roll band"

What are they? Rap?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
revisfoot
USER INFO »

Haha. One of the best ways to enjoy this DVD is to "not watch it." Classic.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
00iceman
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by XALTERBRIDGEX) a pretty bad review...

Review FAIL
Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
meeceek
USER INFO »

Bought the DVD this morning and just finished watching the concert and the updated documentary. Big Freeze is not included in this DVD, and actually for what this is, I'm glad. The video presentation is just outstanding, in my opinion. I think that is the payoff for having over 200 HD cameras at hand. It was awesome to play it on our 46" HD TV with the surround on! We went to one of the live concerts, and I'm glad that they were able to capture the intensity and stage effects well. I would have liked to see just a little bit more of the overall stage view at times, including the beautiful backdrop screen, but they did manage to show it quite a bit in the video. It was just so amazing to see it live behind them on every song. The trade-off for that was all the fantastic closeup shots! I've obviously never seen Creed like this so closeup, and it is great to see them up close and personal during the performance. There are some really great closeups of all the guys at some point. I also got a big kick out of ERock, too. He adds such a great aspect. It also reminds me even more about how much energy they all put into this live show, too. I loved every minute of the whole thing.

I wanted to also mention that the updated tour documentary is 45 minutes long and way better than the one that came with the FC deluxe set because they have added more to it from the entire tour, including the awesome guy that was hyped up on Red Bull. He is hilarious!

I'm sure I'll also be buying the Deluxe box set when it comes out, but I had to go ahead and get this now. I'm sure the Big Freeze will be pretty cool, but it's also nice to have this video that is pretty much the concert straight up as it was.

Last edited by meeceek : 12-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
WiscFan39
USER INFO »

this isn't a review or anything but I work at Best Buy and we are sold out of all the Creed Live DVD's and we got a lot of them in so that's a positive note I thought I would share
Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
knicks5171
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by WiscFan39) this isn't a review or anything but I work at Best Buy and we are sold out of all the Creed Live DVD's and we got a lot of them in so that's a positive note I thought I would share
I noticed this too. I purchased the it the day it came out and I got the last copy at Best Buy. Hopefully this is a good sign.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

I guess I'll post my little review...

First of all, everyone pretty much knows how much I hated the performance that night...so I'm sorry if I come off highly negative or mean, I'm just trying to be honest & give constructive criticism.

The one thing that made me happy was the artwork and packaging, when I first saw the cover I didn't know what the heck they were thinking but after seeing everything up close & personal it's not that bad & they did a very good job putting it together. The message from Scott inside the booklet was very touching. (The DVD menus are also nice)

Performance wise, it was again hard to listen to... vocally other then "Never Die" Scott was struggling. I'm not going to rant on Scott because I know he's trying his best & the passion is still there but in all honesty I cringed on every song. I give a little credit to pitch correction, but imo. they didn't use it enough throughout the show, also whoever edited the audio is a moron...they totally shifted Scott's vocal off time in "One Last Breath" & in "A Thousand Faces" which really ticked me off seeing as it's one of the best performances on the DVD. I also noticed the solo was replaced which was odd, it's not the cd version though, Mark must have overdubbed it.

Musically, again some of the songs were hard to listen to, tempos of course are WAY TOO FAST...Flip needs to seriously improve this on the next tour. (Unforgiven especially was horrible.) other then that the other guys nailed it as usual, a lot of energy! EROCK what else can you say, the guy is incredible...vocally, his guitar playing, tone, stage presence etc. he deserves to be on that stage. My favorite songs on the DVD were probably Never Die, A Thousand Faces, What If & One.

Production/editing was awesome, very well shot! Quality was also better then expected.

The bonus features were ok, the Documentary was great...mostly consists of the Full Circle bonus dvd & other cool behind the scenes stuff.

So in closing, it was what I expected... overall I give it a 7/10 which is being generous in my book. I have to admit this is not the live Creed DVD I longed for since 1999 but I have hope that they can improve & hopefully the next dvd will blow this one out of the water.

(BTW "Big Freeze" what a joke. lol)

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
BSC
USER INFO »

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by that last "Big Freeze" comment? I only ask because "Big Freeze" isn't included in the standard edition, only in the deluxe edition.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

^How do you know that though? I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the standard... anyway the only "Big Freeze" was the drum intro to "Higher" which was nothing special, it did a half turn into the background & that was it haha I seriously laughed out loud when I saw it.

One Nation. Indivisible.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Buried And Gone
USER INFO »

From what I understand Big Freeze is used for like one quick moment during "Higher" I believe but it was only done around Flip's drum set.

EDIT: Damn, you beat me.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Buried And Gone) From what I understand Big Freeze is used for like one quick moment during "Higher" I believe but it was only done around Flip's drum set.

So then it's like the music video?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Dark_Knight
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by rabidgopher04) So then it's like the music video?
Somewhat I guess... but it's lackluster, very poorly done.

Also I forgot to mention I miss Mark's signature clean tone, especially on "Say I" & "What If" (intro) & also one positive about Scott's voice the GROWL and grit is definitely still there!

One Nation. Indivisible.

Last edited by Dark_Knight : 12-13-2009 at 06:25 PM.