++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Scotty
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Meanings of "Time"

I'm currently researching basically everything about this song on "Full Circle", "Time". It's part of a project for my art course where I am designing some album art for this song. So I have to research the meanings of the song and I have done se and emptied my brains but I'd like another look and view on it if it was ok?

What I've got so far (apart from it being about time) is that it's about him looking back on his old self "can't quite put my finger on, the difference that makes us so different" and how he's changed, but also the things he must do that he didn't before "This time, I have nothing left to lose" "It's about time that I speak my mind"

Anything else. Any help is really appreciated. Cheers
Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »
Re: The Meanings of "Time"

"Time is no friend of mine" he speaks of how much time it was between the break up and "rebirth"
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
in reality
USER INFO »

I remember that Scott recently did an interview where he talked about Time. He said about the line "no friend of mine" also means that he can't go back and redo things he did in the past. That it is always about going forward. Very good interview too.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

well ya,alls what i,ve learned about time after we are young and then grow old is either one of too things you can make your friend or you can make it your foe somehow through our journeys and preseverance Im not old enough to say i have used mine 100 percent wisley but grew up in it with a balance of both PEACE
Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Sasa
USER INFO »

Hi Scotty,

I wish you blessings on your project.

The song in my perspective is about moving forward from past mistakes. It's about being stuck at first .."The second hand will not move"..
Only later discovering the power in his own VOICE..."It's about "Time" I speak my mind"..

It also touches on deep betrayel, because the loneliness in the lyrics; "Who will be there to catch me" only comes from the life experience of betrayel by someone very close, that was once trusted.

While typing this I got the image of the BOY character in the movie "Pet Cemetary"..and the particular portion of the film that suddenly came to mind was when the father..weeping and crying..injected the son with poison..and the Son staggers off..saying..OUCH..Daddy that hurt..I just wanted to play with you, and then he collapses in the hall.

U tube is great isn't it?...what do you know..the exact image was right there..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6qKOIRL00

I don't know why I got that image..but you may watch the movie..and it may offer some good visuals for your art.

Time your no friend of mine, Time your no friend of mine, Time your no friend of mine...."He's walking away...starting over..realizing his own power"....The entire song is a beautiful signature..of SELF EMPOWERMENT..in the end.

Keep me informed on your progress, I would love to see the end product.

Love and God Bless!!

Last edited by Sasa : 12-03-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
meeceek
USER INFO »

Seems that I heard early on that this song is the one that most addresses the band's breakup specifically.

I'm married to a recovered alcoholic. I could write a book on how Full Circle describes our life, too. Here is one point I can elaborate on for you.

"You cover yourself, you cover your skin
You cover yourself, like you cover your sin"

One of the most hurtful things for me was discovering that some of my own best friends would walk away from me because of my husband. When they found out that he was actually in a rehab place for several weeks, they never called and walked out of my life (and have never been back). I have never been hurt like that in my whole life. One week, we were best friends, and the next week, they were nowhere to be found. That is why this phrase really stings me... because it reminds me of how they "covered" themselves to not be a part of what I was going through when I needed them the most. Brought me to tears the first time I listened to this song, too. It's still hurts, I guess. I believe it's this kind of deep hurt and betrayal from people that supposedly love you that Stapp is trying to convey. It is an awful, awful thing.

Good luck on the project.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Creedfan73
USER INFO »

I take it as literal as it sounds, it is a personal confession.

I can't explain | Can't quite put my finger on | The difference that makes us so different
Scott is talking about how different he has noticed that he and the rest of the band[/ ? ] became since the band was formed and he doesn't know why.
We've said everything...our words only betray us
He has appologized and has accepted appologies, but still every word makes the situation worse.
Nothing is left... Nothing was left unsaid
Scott has no more to say, no more appologies or explanations to say..
This TIME...I have nothing left to lose
Scott is not holding back is emotions and words, he is being truthful about everything, even as bad as it is, he has to do it because he feels that his situation can't get any worse..
I'm stuck...the second hand won't move
Scott feels that he can't get past this wall that has been built and everyday is the same, nothing changes for the better..
It's about TIME that I speak my mind
Scott needs to explain his side now..
It's about TIME...about TIME I find | Pieces of me I have lost
Scott feels that he doesn't like who he has become and he wants to go back to the good person knows he once was..
...Without any choice I move on. | Hey TIME you're no friend of mine |Hey TIME you're no friend of mine
Weather people know that he has changed, they still see him as a bad person. By Scott's poor actions throughout the years, Scott has been branded a bad person and there isn't anything that is going to change that..
You cover yourself...you cover your skin | you cover yourself...like you cover your sin
Scott has told lies and made up stories to cover for his poor actions.
Please untie my hands...I'm a sinner...I'm a man
Scott is explaining that everyone makes mistakes, and he is asking for people to stop holding him at such a high standard so that he can be truthful..
I ask for one minute...To make you understand!
Scott is begging for the band[/media/ ? ] to listen to him and explain that he really has changed..
Will you be there to catch me when I stumble | When I fall...When I fall?
Scott feels he has alienated everyone to the point that he is alone, and he fears that if he messes up again, that no one will help him..
It's so very clear you left me when I had no one at all | No one at all
Scott realizes that during the time he was messing up, the band[/media/ ?] turned their back on him because they were done with dealing with his problems..
Who will be there to catch me...To catch me | When I stumble...When I fall
Scott asks himself IF there is anyone who will help him if he messes up again, knowing that there isn't anyone..
Peices of me I have lost | Without any choice I move on |Hey TIME...you're no friend of mine!
Scott is exhausted with himself and he is upset that he has messed up so bad in the past and he says again that his past is haunting him..
Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Scotty
USER INFO »

Thanks everyone. This is all really helpful. And Sasa I will certainly let you see the end product when I've finished
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Sasa) Hi Scotty,

I wish you blessings on your project.

The song in my perspective is about moving forward from past mistakes. It's about being stuck at first .."The second hand will not move"..
Only later discovering the power in his own VOICE..."It's about "Time" I speak my mind"..

It also touches on deep betrayel, because the loneliness in the lyrics; "Who will be there to catch me" only comes from the life experience of betrayel by someone very close, that was once trusted.

While typing this I got the image of the BOY character in the movie "Pet Cemetary"..and the particular portion of the film that suddenly came to mind was when the father..weeping and crying..injected the son with poison..and the Son staggers off..saying..OUCH..Daddy that hurt..I just wanted to play with you, and then he collapses in the hall.

U tube is great isn't it?...what do you know..the exact image was right there..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6qKOIRL00

I don't know why I got that image..but you may watch the movie..and it may offer some good visuals for your art.

Time your no friend of mine, Time your no friend of mine, Time your no friend of mine...."He's walking away...starting over..realizing his own power"....The entire song is a beautiful signature..of SELF EMPOWERMENT..in the end.

Keep me informed on your progress, I would love to see the end product.

Love and God Bless!!
haaaaaaaaa cant forget that kid in that movie i,ve played with mommie now i want to play with you daddy with his knife in his hand im crazy SASA very good precepts and prespectives you pointed out i can read theme with good understanding flow rather than a headache your signature says it best our time is not our own it belongs to GOD and he tells us to acknowlege him in all ways and he shall make all paths staight ROCK ON PEACE be with you
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #10
nagpo
USER INFO »

good job creedfan73.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Sasa
USER INFO »

(((Truly Amazing)))

I'm glad you didnt' get a headache, my husband keeps one. He thinks
I'm strange, and I have strange friends..

Thank you, I laughed at myself because when I finished posting that I thought, "what in the world does Pet Sematary have to do with..the Song "Time"..why in the world did I get that memory, I haven't watched that movie in YEARS. So..I went digging things up out of the movie (I'm a curious one) and in the end, it all really blessed me in a very special way.

PEACE!