++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #16
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Grunge_Rocker) Yeah man, Cornell's bad habits have really taken their toll on him over the years . Back in the old `Garden days, Chris was best known for his ability to wail like ain't no tomorrow all throughout some of his songs. And he could actually blend his voice into the chord, so that the riff would start out as a guitar strike and actually end up with Cornell screaming wildly.
cough*Loud Love*cough
Yes, indeed

Quote: (Originally Posted by Grunge_Rocker) He only attempted these feats a couple of times on the `Slave debut, and those attempts weren't nearly as successful. I hate to admit, but Chris' voice seems somehow corroded these days from all the smokin' he's done.
I know...

Quote: (Originally Posted by Grunge_Rocker) I'm hoping that Myles Kennedy will tend to pick where Cornell is gradually leaving off.
Cept for the screams, I dont think anyone can make up for that, and I dunno. Myles is extremely awesome, and nothing against him, but Chris has his own, i dont even know what, he's insane. The man is insanely awesome. And Myles is only a few years younger, he probably has his own thing, and it'll just get more exposed over time. But flat out vocally, yes. Or, better yet, Cornell could drop the smoking and get into some kind of voice rehab.

-Amber

"A person should not believe in an "-ism," he should believe in himself."
-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #17
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Grunge_Rocker) Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell?
No, I think all the many magazine articles that have come out that review the album that compare Myles to Chris think it too.

Wow. I hope that didn't come off as arrogant and piss-headed as it just sounded when I read it.

I'm glad you like AB and welcome to the board! Cool avatar BTW. I totally love Kurt. I know some of the members of his family. (I grew up in Montesano/Aberdeen WA.)

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #18
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
Wow. Forgot that one-
Welcome to the board!

-Amber

-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #19
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Welcome dude!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #20
AndrewFromABRox
USER INFO »
Haha I was thinking when i saw this thread, " I bet it's gonna be chris cornell". And yes i agree with you, i think that's about the closest person you could describe him to, especially the end to find the real, the last high note is like exactly like Chris, which is a complement i think. But i wouldn't call him a ripoff at all, it's just when he goes real high, i think he's alot better.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:10 PM   #21
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
I know, I know, I know....

-Amber

-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 PM   #22
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
I have a huge poster of Cornell with Audioslave in my dorm room, he is a badass. I think Myles will last longer because of him getting vocal lessons and all.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #23
fluttergirl
USER INFO »
You people are gonna make me cry.....

-Amber

-Ferris Bueller
Old 10-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Yeah, the thing about Chris is that, in the beginning, with Louder Than Love, Screaming Life, etc, he was big into the high screaming...not singing...but screaming...(you cats got me in the mood...listening to "Hunted Down" on Screaming Life...), and that's just what he is doing on the masterpiece intro to "Loud Love". His natural register was in the tenor range, but, when Andrew Wood died, I think that it had a huge effect on Chris, and on Temple of the Dog, he really started to develop his baritone stuff, which could have also been the result of the chain smoking and damage. In any case, for whatever reason, Chris started to develop more texture (as Amber called it) to his voice, and, at that point continuing until...I'll say Superunknown, that texture was for the better. However, the toll taken is too great now, as the texture has taken over his range and limited it. Now he still sounds great, I'm an old school Cornell fan, as I was introduced to Louder Than Love back in '89. But, Chris couldn't touch his older stuff these days...wow, back in the day, though...

In contrast, if you listen to the first Citizen Swing album (circa 1992), that was Myles just getting a hold on the singing thing, and he was great. But, from that point forward, he has gained in power, range, and facility on every subsequent album. This is because Myles applies method to his technique, getting up in the morning to do scales, he watches his diet, etc.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #25
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) yeah, I was thinking about that note in "find the real" and, it kinda sounds like Cornell, but it sounds like Cornell when he sounds like Dio, so...maybe it just sounds like Dio...

yeah that is a good point. whether he tries to sound like chris or they both have the same source, the result is the same. i would give the same arguement with the whole stapp-vedder thing in relation to jim morrison. vocally my fav cornell albums are the temple of the dog album and his solo album as they both really show off his voice in the best light IMO. i would love to see myles do an acoustic based solo album as that would show off his voice to no end as it would be the sole focus.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 10-12-2004, 12:59 AM   #26
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) yeah that is a good point. whether he tries to sound like chris or they both have the same source, the result is the same. i would give the same arguement with the whole stapp-vedder thing in relation to jim morrison. vocally my fav cornell albums are the temple of the dog album and his solo album as they both really show off his voice in the best light IMO. i would love to see myles do an acoustic based solo album as that would show off his voice to no end as it would be the sole focus.

I'm with you, and, yeah, Stapp gets a hard time about sounding like Vedder, when I hear just as much Morrison in there...probably drawing from the same source there, as well.

Temple of the Dog...yeah, Cornell at his emotive best, but, then, he was communicating a lot of grief on that album...I don't think he will ever be able to top that, and that's fine...it's immortal...

Myles solo cd...yeah, the queue starts here...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:10 AM   #27
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
yeah that album is untouchable i think by anything that those guys have done
prior to since that point and i seriously mean that. when AB do get around to having a break i would just about kill for a solo album from myles and for mark's metal project to finally happen where he will seriously let go (hopefully)
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 AM   #28
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) yeah that album is untouchable i think by anything that those guys have done
prior to since that point and i seriously mean that. when AB do get around to having a break i would just about kill for a solo album from myles and for mark's metal project to finally happen where he will seriously let go (hopefully)

yeah, I think that both of those albums would be really kewl...
Old 10-13-2004, 12:55 AM   #29
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) yeah, I think that both of those albums would be really kewl...

no doubt....wasen't there talk that myles' solo work involved some electronica stuff like massive attack or am i crazy lol? that would be kind of cool and certainly different although a more acoustic album would be my preference. mark going sick and doing all of that tapping and and the like would be insane and perhaps some guest vocalists.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #30
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by handmedown) no doubt....wasen't there talk that myles' solo work involved some electronica stuff like massive attack or am i crazy lol? that would be kind of cool and certainly different although a more acoustic album would be my preference. mark going sick and doing all of that tapping and and the like would be insane and perhaps some guest vocalists.

yeah, the Myles album...I suspect that he would have been working with Chris White (not me) on that one...they both have a jazz streak, and they were doing a quasi-electronica thing when they worked together on that houseofsound.com commercial...