++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Bible College Final Exam - Semester 1

1.) True or false: The Bible has a verse(s) that lists what books belong in the Bible.

If true, quote the chapter and verse___________________________

2. If the Bible doesn't tell us what books belong in it, then is the Bible's "table of contents" merely a human tradition?
A) yes
B) no, its not by "merely human tradition" that compiled the Holy Books
C) all traditions are to be condemned

3. If the list of Biblical books is not revealed in the Bible itself, what men drew up the list?
A) Luther, Calvin, Knox, and Zwingli
B) The Twelve Apostles
C) The Jewish Council of Jamnia in the 1st century
D) Several Bishops in 4 councils from the 2nd to the 4th century

4. Why do you trust these men?
A) they were guided by the Holy Spirit
B) their offices were of direct descent from the Apostles
C) they were unanimous in faith and practice
D) all of the above

5. Is their list infallible? (without error)
A) yes
B) no, Luther removed the added books 1100 years later and made
it infallible
C) no, the Jewish council of Jamnia (95 AD) had more authority about the canon of scripture than Christians, even though they rejected Christ and the message of the New Testament.
D) No, the bible came from God, it didn't come from man, that's why its infallible.

6. If the list of books in YOUR Bible is infallible, on what authority is it so?
A) by virtue of the office of the bishops who proved which ones of the many books were inspired
B) by the authority of Christ which lives in the Church
C) King James, who gathered the books from the Apostles, and lived to be 1600 years old.
D) I trust the publisher
E) A, B

7. True or False: Even though the list of books in your bible is not in the bible, it is an infallible list?

8. If their list is not infallible, and is merely a human tradition, why do you trust it? On what authority?
A) God decided the list, not men. That is why I trust it, on the authority of the Holy Spirit, Who had no need of men to make the list.
B) the list IS infallible, on the authority that Jesus gave to sinful Church leaders.
C) the list IS infallible on the authority that the Holy Spirit gives me a good feeling about it.

9) Some claim the Bible says that unless doctrines are explicitly found in scripture, they cannot be trusted. State any explicit biblical basis for this doctrine, Old or New Testament. Provide chapter and verse(s).

10) If (9) has no verses to support the claim, but you accept it as a doctrine anyway, isn't that an extra-biblical "rule of faith and practice", or an extra-biblical doctrine?
Knowledge of early church history is helpful, but not necessary to get the right answers. Common sense will work.
This will help too: http://catholicoutlook.com/scripture.php
“There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.”

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Last edited by no_fixd_address : 06-05-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #2
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
What??? No attempts???
Oh, it's exam season, and everyone is either in reserve mode, or burn-out mode. OK.

The answer to 1 is false. there is no verse anywhere in the bible that lists the books to be in the bible. Your bible, my bible, anybodies bible.
“There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.”

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
What??? No attempts???
Oh, it's exam season, and everyone is either in reserve mode, or burn-out mode. OK.

The answer to 1 is false. there is no verse anywhere in the bible that lists the books to be in the bible. Your bible, my bible, anybodies bible.

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
i might get to it after my few exams i have left. seems like fun...but it sorta doesnt cos it reminds me of all the theology exams i have done!!!! So I am sorta hesitant at the same time.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
It's multiple guess questions; I couldn't make it any easier.

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Quote: (Originally Posted by no_fixd_address) It's multiple guess questions; I couldn't make it any easier.

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
"multiple guess" = multiple choice questions.

B is the right answer for (2)
See how easy it is?

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen
Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: 1.) True or false: The Bible has a verse(s) that lists what books belong in the Bible.

If true, quote the chapter and verse___________________________

FALSE
Quote: 2. If the Bible doesn't tell us what books belong in it, then is the Bible's "table of contents" merely a human tradition?
A) yes
B) no, its not by "merely human tradition" that compiled the Holy Books
C) all traditions are to be condemned

B

Quote: 3. If the list of Biblical books is not revealed in the Bible itself, what men drew up the list?
A) Luther, Calvin, Knox, and Zwingli
B) The Twelve Apostles
C) The Jewish Council of Jamnia in the 1st century
D) Several Bishops in 4 councils from the 2nd to the 4th century

D

Quote: 4. Why do you trust these men?
A) they were guided by the Holy Spirit
B) their offices were of direct descent from the Apostles
C) they were unanimous in faith and practice
D) all of the above
D
Quote: 5. Is their list infallible? (without error)
A) yes
B) no, Luther removed the added books 1100 years later and made
it infallible
C) no, the Jewish council of Jamnia (95 AD) had more authority about the canon of scripture than Christians, even though they rejected Christ and the message of the New Testament.
D) No, the bible came from God, it didn't come from man, that's why its infallible.
D

Quote: 6. If the list of books in YOUR Bible is infallible, on what authority is it so?
A) by virtue of the office of the bishops who proved which ones of the many books were inspired
B) by the authority of Christ which lives in the Church
C) King James, who gathered the books from the Apostles, and lived to be 1600 years old.
D) I trust the publisher
E) A, B
E
Quote: 7. True or False: Even though the list of books in your bible is not in the bible, it is an infallible list?
CLAIRIFY
Quote: 8. If their list is not infallible, and is merely a human tradition, why do you trust it? On what authority?
A) God decided the list, not men. That is why I trust it, on the authority of the Holy Spirit, Who had no need of men to make the list.
B) the list IS infallible, on the authority that Jesus gave to sinful Church leaders.
C) the list IS infallible on the authority that the Holy Spirit gives me a good feeling about it.

DON'T KNOW GUESSING B
Quote: 9) Some claim the Bible says that unless doctrines are explicitly found in scripture, they cannot be trusted. State any explicit biblical basis for this doctrine, Old or New Testament. Provide chapter and verse(s).
AGIAN NOT SURE AT THIS POINT BUT i CAN GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT

Quote: 10) If (9) has no verses to support the claim, but you accept it as a doctrine anyway, isn't that an extra-biblical "rule of faith and practice", or an extra-biblical doctrine?
Knowledge of early church history is helpful, but not necessary to get the right answers. Common sense will work.
This will help too: http://catholicoutlook.com/scripture.php
Old 06-08-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
So how did I do??

not bad I hope. If I did good that proves I know my shit about religion even when I am half asleep and doped up on painkillers
Old 06-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
You passed with flying colors! You got 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, correct. 7, 9 and 10 were not answered, giving you a passing grade of 60%!!!! Most Protestants I have given this test to can’t get past question 2 without re-writing historical facts. You know your shit!

Question 5. By choosing “D”, it is correct to say that the Bible comes from God, but incorrect to presume that God did not use man as instruments in His WRITTEN revelation. The fact remains: God did use man to reveal truths, but with the limitations of human language. That is why an infallible interpreter is necessary. Without that, all you have is ink and paper that may inspire, but it cannot be inspired and inerrant for doctrine outside of the Tradition from whence it came. “A” is the most correct answer. So you get ˝ a mark, boosting your grade to 65%
7. True or False: Even though the list of books in your bible is not in the bible, it is an infallible list?

Let’s not complicate matters and stick with the New Testament for our purposes. There are 27 books in the New Testament. Why aren’t there 28? Or 26? Is there an explicit biblical basis for correct number of 27? No. You can read it from Matthew to Revelation, and not find a single verse that says 27. The only way to know for sure that there are to be 27 books in the NT is to go outside the bible, and that in itself defeats the invention of sola scriptura. 27 is an infallible number of books in the NT, and a fallible errant church cannot produce an infallible list. The infallible Church existed before the canon of the NT. The Book is a fruit of the Infallible Church, historically, theologically, scientifically and reasonably. The church is not a fruit of the Book. That is bass ackwards.

9) Some claim the Bible says that unless doctrines are explicitly found in scripture, they cannot be trusted. State any explicit biblical basis for this doctrine, Old or New Testament. Provide chapter and verse(s).
Quote: AGIAN NOT SURE AT THIS POINT BUT i CAN GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT
Not sure? I am giving you another ˝ mark for thinking for yourself, raising your mark to 70%. There is no explicit verse(s) that state that unless doctrines are definitely spelled out in scripture alone, they cannot be trusted. 2 Tim 3: 16 is a thoughtless argument for sola scriptura and is pre-mature at this point. Let’s look at it this way:
If a relativist hedonist says, “There are no moral absolutes." The hedonist is in logical trouble because that very statement is a moral absolute. He is saying it is a moral absolute that there are no moral absolutes. This system self-destructs. It cannot be true regardless how popular it is in America today. What he is really saying is…there are no moral absolutes, except this one.
“All generalizations are false”. This is a generalization in itself. It too self-destructs. What a person is really saying here is “all generalizations are false, except for this one."

"Only doctrines explicitly grounded in the teaching of the Bible are trustworthy.”This concept is self-destructive, and is not found in scripture. Unless you can find a scripture that explicitly says this, which you can’t, then you must re-phrase it to say: "Only doctrines explicitly grounded in the teaching of the Bible are trustworthy, except this one.” This is the foundation of sand on which most of Protestantism rests.

10) If (9) has no verses to support the claim, but you accept it as a doctrine anyway, isn't that an extra-biblical "rule of faith and practice", or an extra-biblical doctrine?

The answer is YES. The bible alone as the sole rule of faith and practice is not in the bible, making it extra-biblical, and illogical. The 16th century Deformers were operating out of a Nominalist world view, reconstructing Christianity from human opinions of grammar and atomization of proof-texts from scripture.
Quote: So how did I do??

not bad I hope. If I did good that proves I know my shit about religion even when I am half asleep and doped up on painkillers

You really surprised me. Good work.

Stand by for Semester II

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Last edited by no_fixd_address : 06-08-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Mind you I had to take this test as if it were being administered by a Catholic so I had to change my form of referance because the answers are debatalbe between prodistants and catholics regaurdless *jumps through hoop* I have proven myself.

still don't buy in to it thats just me evidently
Old 06-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #12
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
Semester II

11) Where did Jesus give instructions that the Christian faith should be based exclusively on a book?
A) The Gospels
B) The Epistles
C) Revelation
D) nowhere

12. True or False: Jesus told all His apostles to write things down.

13. Where in the New Testament do the apostles tell future generations that the Christian faith will be based on a book?
A) The Gospels
B) The Epistles
C) Revelation
D) nowhere

14. If the authors of the New Testament believed in Sola Scriptura, why did they sometimes draw on oral Tradition as authoritative and as God's Word (Matt 2:23; 23:2; 1 Cor 10:4; 1 Pet 3:19; Jude 9, 14;15)?
A) once its written, its no longer tradition
B) oral Tradition is part of Divine Revelation and just as authoritive

15. A few Christians claim that Jesus categorically condemned all oral tradition (Matt 15:3, 6; Mark 7:813). If so, why does He bind His listeners to oral tradition by telling them that to obey the scribes and Pharisees when they "sit on Moses' seat" (Matt 23:2)?

A) Jesus could not have condemned all oral tradition, just the ones (He said "your traditions") that made void God's word, not the Sacred Traditions that Jesus and the Jews properly followed
B) the scribes and Pharisees were pure, true Christians, and Jesus
was telling his listeners to follow their example.
C) Jesus was saying that the corruption of people with authority had no bearing on the necessity of obedience to them, which is pleasing to God.
D) A and C

16. True or False: God's Word is restricted only to what is written down.

17. How do we know who wrote the books that we call Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Hebrews, and 1, 2, and 3 John? (What verse claims the name of the author?)
A) it's written on the top of the page
B) oral Tradition
C) bible scholars can prove it

18. On what authority, or on what principle, would we accept as Scripture books that we know were not written by one of the twelve apostles?
A) on the authority of the publisher
B) on the authority of the Church who set strict principles for the canonization of scripture
C) Luke was a clone of Paul

19. How do we know, from the Bible alone, that the individual books of the New Testament are inspired, even when they make no claim to be inspired?
A) we know by faith they are God breathed, and that's all I need to know.
B) Paul says "All scripture is profitable…2Tim3:16;17"
C) The Church proved they were inspired, the bible is not self authenticating

20. How do we know, from the Bible alone, that the letters of St. Paul, who wrote to first century congregations and individuals, are meant to be read by us 2000 years later as Scripture?
A) we don't, the bible doesn't tell us that
B) Paul was inspired so he must have seen the future
C) The bible shows Paul's primary mission was to write books of the bible, preaching to the Gentiles was secondary.
D) Jesus commissioned the Apostles to read the Gospel to all nations…

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Last edited by no_fixd_address : 06-08-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by no_fixd_address) 11) Where did Jesus give instructions that the Christian faith should be based exclusively on a book?
A) The Gospels
B) The Epistles
C) Revelation
D) nowhere
D

Quote: 12. True or False: Jesus told all His apostles to write things down.
FALSE

Quote: 13. Where in the New Testament do the apostles tell future generations that the Christian faith will be based on a book?
A) The Gospels
B) The Epistles
C) Revelation
D) nowhere
D I think

Quote: 14. If the authors of the New Testament believed in Sola Scriptura, why did they sometimes draw on oral Tradition as authoritative and as God's Word (Matt 2:23; 23:2; 1 Cor 10:4; 1 Pet 3:19; Jude 9, 14;15)?
A) once its written, its no longer tradition
B) oral Tradition is part of Divine Revelation and just as authoritive
B?

Quote: 15. A few Christians claim that Jesus categorically condemned all oral tradition (Matt 15:3, 6; Mark 7:813). If so, why does He bind His listeners to oral tradition by telling them that to obey the scribes and Pharisees when they "sit on Moses' seat" (Matt 23:2)?

A) Jesus could not have condemned all oral tradition, just the ones (He said "your traditions") that made void God's word, not the Sacred Traditions that Jesus and the Jews properly followed
B) the scribes and Pharisees were pure, true Christians, and Jesus
was telling his listeners to follow their example.
C) Jesus was saying that the corruption of people with authority had no bearing on the necessity of obedience to them, which is pleasing to God.
D) A and C
A

Quote: 16. True or False: God's Word is restricted only to what is written down.
FALSE

Quote: 17. How do we know who wrote the books that we call Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Hebrews, and 1, 2, and 3 John? (What verse claims the name of the author?)
A) it's written on the top of the page
B) oral Tradition
C) bible scholars can prove it
C (So they say)

Quote: 18. On what authority, or on what principle, would we accept as Scripture books that we know were not written by one of the twelve apostles?
A) on the authority of the publisher
B) on the authority of the Church who set strict principles for the canonization of scripture
C) Luke was a clone of Paul
B

Quote: 19. How do we know, from the Bible alone, that the individual books of the New Testament are inspired, even when they make no claim to be inspired?
A) we know by faith they are God breathed, and that's all I need to know.
B) Paul says "All scripture is profitable…2Tim3:16;17"
C) The Church proved they were inspired, the bible is not self authenticating
I am gonna sa C but I think you are gonna say its wrong

Quote: 20. How do we know, from the Bible alone, that the letters of St. Paul, who wrote to first century congregations and individuals, are meant to be read by us 2000 years later as Scripture?
A) we don't, the bible doesn't tell us that
B) Paul was inspired so he must have seen the future
C) The bible shows Paul's primary mission was to write books of the bible, preaching to the Gentiles was secondary.
D) Jesus commissioned the Apostles to read the Gospel to all nations…
D

so how did I do? I don't think I did as well on this one I am a hoped up on painkillers a little more that I was last night.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
you gonna grade me yet here??
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #15
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
Correct: 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19,

You scored 75%

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen