++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #61
RoffeDH
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Mark's singing

yes you can compare the two of them, you just have to see who can hit the tones right 100% of the time (that has nothing to do with what kind of voice you have!) and Myles does that. Who can sing in different tones like barriton and soprano and stuff like that... Myles can, Stapp can't...

Who's the better musician? Myles, he can also shread on the guitar, Stapp can't take any thing on the guitar!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #62
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RoffeDH) yes you can compare the two of them, you just have to see who can hit the tones right 100% of the time (that has nothing to do with what kind of voice you have!) and Myles does that. Who can sing in different tones like barriton and soprano and stuff like that... Myles can, Stapp can't...

Who's the better musician? Myles, he can also shread on the guitar, Stapp can't take any thing on the guitar!

The fact that Myles can play the guitar has nothing to do with his voice. We're not talking about who can play guitar here. We all know who the star guitarist of AB is anyway. If you want to compare who can play the guitar best then try comparing him to Mark.

What we were talking about was Stapp vs. Myles. (really we were talking about Mark's singing but somehow we got off topic) You can hit all the notes you want to but that doesn't make you a good singer.

It all boils down to whose voice you like better. Everyone has their own opinion. Creed sold millions of records because of Scotts voice and Marks ability on the guitar. Scott has proven himself to be a great singer. We have yet to see what Myles can do for AB's album sales. I'm ready to see how AB will sound after Myles writes his own lyrics. Don't get me wrong I like AB. I guess we need to face the fact that we will never convince each other that our personal opinion is right.
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light

Last edited by Justify : 03-09-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #63
J-Man
USER INFO »

Each to their own. Everyone has their preferences, mine is Myles. He does have a great range in his voice and he can pretty much sing anything. Case in point, they take requests from the audience and he delivers. I can't say the same for Stapp. I've seen AB in concert and Myles has great stage presence, he just has his own style. To me he's a mix between Steve Tyler and Mick Jagger whom are extraordinary. What else is cool is that you can tell everyone is having fun on stage and that they love what they do and therefore we as an audience are also having fun. And yes AB does interact w/ their audience (high fives, nods, the rock sign w/ the hand, and tossing souvenirs at the end of every show). They all share the spotlight and acknowledge one another on stage. With Stapp's new band from what I understand the spotlight is on the "King" himself. To me, Stapp is about himself and AB is about the music and their audience.

I have not seen Stapp's solo career (don't plan on it), as far as stage presence the last I remember is him deciding to take a nap on stage at the Chicago show.

Another thing I want to point out is that Stapp rides on the coat-tails of the name Creed as where AB does not. Stapp needs the old name probably because he doesn't have enough confidence to draw in an audience on his name alone.

And lastly, just for the record, since Stapp wants to take credit for Creed's sound, why hasn't anyone who interviewed him put him to the test? Seriously, if he's going to go around saying he had something to do with the melodies, then by all means show us.

Last edited by J-Man : 03-09-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #64
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by J-Man) Each to their own. Everyone has their preferences, mine is Myles. He does have a great range in his voice and he can pretty much sing anything. Case in point, they take requests from the audience and he delivers. I can't say the same for Stapp. I've seen AB in concert and Myles has great stage presence, he just has his own style. To me he's a mix between Steve Tyler and Mick Jagger whom are extraordinary. What else is cool is that you can tell everyone is having fun on stage and that they love what they do and therefore we as an audience are also having fun. And yes AB does interact w/ their audience (high fives, nods, the rock sign w/ the hand, and tossing souvenirs at the end of every show). They all share the spotlight and acknowledge one another on stage. With Stapp's new band from what I understand the spotlight is on the "King" himself. To me, Stapp is about himself and AB is about the music and their audience.

I have not seen Stapp's solo career (don't plan on it), as far as stage presence the last I remember is him deciding to take a nap on stage at the Chicago show.

Another thing I want to point out is that Stapp rides on the coat-tails of the name Creed as where AB does not. Stapp needs the old name probably because he doesn't have enough confidence to draw an audience on his name alone.

And lastly, just for the record since Stapp wants to take credit for Creed's sound, why hasn't anyone who interviewed him put him to the test? Seriously, if he's going to go around saying he had something to do with the melodies, then by all means show us.

When I started reading your post I thought for once maybe you would explain something without having to bash Stapp. I was wrong. That is the only way you can defend your opinions. Scott Stapp helped to develop Creed's sound. I know that bothers you but it is true. That is his sound. Just as the Mark helped to develop it and a lot of AB's music sounds like Creed.
Also what do you mean by put him to the test? Does anyone deny that Stapp wrote most of the lyrics for Creed's songs? How will they "test" him? He has proven he can write the music as well in his new album. You may not like the new album but it has had a lot of good reviews. Personally I think the music has a great sound.

As for him laying down on stage. I don't know or care why that really happened. I have heard several opinions on that. It happened years ago. What I know is that the Creed concert that I attended was awesome. I also know that his knew tour is great. He does have a great stage presence like it or not. The guys from Gone Blind get to show off their skills. The concert ends with the spotlight on the bass player. So how do you explain your opionion about him not giving credit where credit is due. If you don't like Scott then that is really not a problem. No one has to like the same musicians but don't speak on things that you have no idea about.
Also AB is riding on the coat tales of Creed. Like it or not. I purchased their CD because the majority of the band was Creed. I think a lot of people did it for that reason. Same thing for Scott Stapp. Most people probably purchased his CD because he was the lead singer of Creed. The true test will be their next albums. I don't think either will be able to "ride on the coat-tails of creed" then.

Again, we're all going to have our own opinions and we are obviously not going to change each others mind. I would just once like to see some of you explain why you don't like Stapp MUSICALLY without bashing him personally.

Also, again, I don't know how this thread became a Myles vs. Stapp thread when I originally opened it to brag about Marks singing ability in MOP. I think it really eats at a lot of you that some people actually still like to hear Stapp sing.

Last edited by Justify : 03-09-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #65
J-Man
USER INFO »

Justify, I have my opinion as well as you do. I'd like to clarify a few things as I can tell there is some confusion. Stapp had mentioned in interviews that he's responsible for the 'melodies'. I know he wrote many of the lyrics, I'm not knocking that, but he is not responsible for the melodies. That is what I meant by putting him to the test. Let him come up w/ a melody.

Laying on stage did happen years ago and the Creed concert where you enjoyed his performance was also done years ago and it happened before "nap time" in Chicago, which I believe was the end of Creed.

Stapp rides on the coat tails of Creed because he uses the Creed name to promote himself. AB doesn't. It is true that members from Creed are on AB, but they do not use the name Creed to promote themselves. They started out fresh. If people purchased the cd's because they were once Creed, only Creed fans would know that, otherwise if you were not a fan how else would you know? As for Stapp, one would know because it's plastered on his CD's, interviews, and concerts.

Last edited by J-Man : 03-09-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #66
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by J-Man) Justify, I have my opinion as well as you do. I'd like to clarify a few things as I can tell there is some confusion. Stapp had mentioned in interviews that he's responsible for the 'melodies'. I know he wrote many of the lyrics, I'm not knocking that, but he is not responsible for the melodies. That is what I meant by putting him to the test. Let him come up w/ a melody.

Laying on stage did happen years ago and the Creed concert where you enjoyed his performance was also done years ago and it happened before "nap time" in Chicago, which I believe was the end of Creed.

Stapp rides on the coat tails of Creed because he uses the Creed name to promote himself. AB doesn't. It is true that members from Creed are on AB, but they do not use the name Creed to promote themselves. They started out fresh. If people purchased the cd's because they were once Creed, only Creed fans would know that, otherwise if you were not a fan how else would you know? As for Stapp, one would know because it's plastered on his CD's, interviews, and concerts.

I'm certain that Stapp was responsible for some of the melodies just as Mark was responsible for some of the lyrics.

As for actually mentioning the name Creed in promoting his new album I have to say I would do the same thing. Creed was big. He would be crazy not to at least let people know that he was the voice of Creed.

I think that a majority of the sales for both albums have been from Creed fans. If you read the reviews on Amazon for both groups you can see that most everyone compare them to Creed. So they are both definitely still riding on the boost from Creed. You have to agree that both Scott and AB's next albums will be the true test. Everyone knows their new sounds now and will know whether they like it enough to support them on their next album.

Both need that boost from Creed because Wind-Up does a horrible job of promoting them. I haven't heard either band played much around here and that sucks. J-Man, we'll have to agree to disagree because this is getting nowhere.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #67
J-Man
USER INFO »

I agree to disagree. Have a good day Justify.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #68
titan9
USER INFO »

What I find funny, Uncertain, is that Marcos says this:

Quote: I think I'd still go with Stapp's voice as long as he kept it trained. On the other hand, Myles is more versatile and he's working on his lower tones, which might come to be interesting on the next album.

Bottom line is I wish I had Stapp's voice and I wish I could sing like Myles, that'd be perfect! LOL!

And then I say this:

Quote: If I could have any of them in their prime.....I'd probably go with Cornell. He was absolutely amazing during the early/mid-90s. Not only did he have great range, but he had so much passion(and he still does).

Next, I'd choose Stapp. He was great, imo, during the late 90s(MOP/HC tours). Not only was he at his prime vocally, but he also was very charismatic(and still is) and energetic on stage. Not to mention his ability as a lyricist during that time.

Finally, I'd go with Myles. He's got a great voice and wrote some very good lyrics for MF4, but he's not that charismatic on stage(imo). Not quite as good of a performer on stage as Stapp and there's not quite as much passion behind the vocals like Cornell has. So that's why he'd be third on my list.

Now, if I had to go with how each is currently, I'd probably go with Stapp, then Myles and then Cornell. I've seen some live bootlegs from Stapp's solo tour and he sounds pretty good and seems to still have that stage presence he had during the MOP/HC tour. Myles still has great range, but I still don't think he's as good of a performer on stage as Stapp is. And Cornell's vocals, unfortunately, have deteriorated. I still like him a lot, but he's definitely not at his prime anymore. So that's why he'd be third on my list.

And this:

Quote: Anyway, from my point of view, out of the three mentioned, Stapp had and still has(based on the recent videos) the best stage presence. He just has a lot of charisma up on stage and still seems to be able to hit some notes and sound decent. And while Myles is my favorite vocalist and I think he is truly an amazing singer, I hesitate in saying he is my favorite frontman because, really, he lacks the charisma on stage and the stage presence, imo. Cornell is still an amazing singer, but at this stage in his career, I wouldn't take him as my frontman.

And yet I'm the one crossed off your intelligent people list! j/k

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #69
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »

I missed that from Marcos. Consider him officially crossed off.

My list grows thin.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #70
altered
USER INFO »

I just want to say I am not here to bash Stapp, but when people want to compare, wich they always seem to do,deal with it, state your opinion and then deal with that.Who ever brought up the point that when people request songs... Zepplin, Ac-Dc, Deep Purple etc. and Myles can sing them.. has very good point.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #71
adparaiki
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to adparaiki Send a message via MSN to adparaiki

Quote: (Originally Posted by J-Man) Each to their own. Everyone has their preferences, mine is Myles. He does have a great range in his voice and he can pretty much sing anything. Case in point, they take requests from the audience and he delivers. I can't say the same for Stapp. I've seen AB in concert and Myles has great stage presence, he just has his own style. To me he's a mix between Steve Tyler and Mick Jagger whom are extraordinary. What else is cool is that you can tell everyone is having fun on stage and that they love what they do and therefore we as an audience are also having fun. And yes AB does interact w/ their audience (high fives, nods, the rock sign w/ the hand, and tossing souvenirs at the end of every show). They all share the spotlight and acknowledge one another on stage. With Stapp's new band from what I understand the spotlight is on the "King" himself. To me, Stapp is about himself and AB is about the music and their audience.

Another thing I want to point out is that Stapp rides on the coat-tails of the name Creed as where AB does not. Stapp needs the old name probably because he doesn't have enough confidence to draw in an audience on his name alone.

And lastly, just for the record, since Stapp wants to take credit for Creed's sound, why hasn't anyone who interviewed him put him to the test? Seriously, if he's going to go around saying he had something to do with the melodies, then by all means show us.

LOL YOU DO MAKE ME LAUGH MATE. get real! Mark rides the Creed train just as much as stapp ok. who wouldn't. on every AB album it said in big bold letters (BIGGER THAN ON STAPP'S album) CREED'S MARK TREMONTI, SCOTT PHILLIPS AND BRIAN MARSHALL REAMERGE AS ALTER BRIDGE WITH NEW SIGNER MYLES KENNDY. ok only half of stapp's album said the voice of creed which was a smaller size ne way ok.

I have seen AB live don't get me wrong I really like AB and Stapp but the effects on myles mike are just too much. I think I could have sang those songs with those effects on and that's why his voice gets anoying very quickly live. He also CAN NOT hit all of the notes live and he sounds so different compared to the CD which by the way has been edited with effects aswell.

Stapp usually has very little effects on his mike and sounds more like the cd ok.

so I prefer stapp and now he is the better vocalist.
also have you ever heard someone say at time myles sounds like a dying animal well I agree sometimes he does and the whole thing about it being a band showing off is crap it seems realy stupid oh this is how fast I can play the guitar and oh myles can play guitar, and philips can play the drums well oh everyone has a solo WOW wa we wa.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #72
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Titan, since when do you point fingers? lol! j/k

anyway, let's take Brett Hestla for example: he's a baritone like Stapp, but he can hit tenor notes, though not as good as Myles, he's one hell of a singer.

What I meant is I like Stapp's tone (his HC tone) better. Stapp could be in the Top 3 singers of modern rock if had the same range and control as Myles.

I never said Stapp is better though, which he's obviously not. Among the 3 you said, Myles is 1st and Cornell 2nd, if we consider his current shape.

You say rock singers are tenors, but I beg to differ. I don't think it's a rule. There are many rock singers who aren't tenors and they blow a lot of them out of the water.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #73
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

At the time of the release of ODR Alter Bridge(Mark) didn't want that sticker on their cd. It was a Wind Up decision.
I've seen AB live and I didn't hear any vocal problems with Myles. If anything, my expectations were surpassed.

-Homer Simpson

Old 03-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #74
Justify
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by adparaiki) Mark rides the Creed train just as much as stapp ok. who wouldn't. on every AB album it said in big bold letters (BIGGER THAN ON STAPP'S album) CREED'S MARK TREMONTI, SCOTT PHILLIPS AND BRIAN MARSHALL REAMERGE AS ALTER BRIDGE WITH NEW SIGNER MYLES KENNDY.

I think that is a good point. I think both Scott and Mark would be crazy if they didn't advertise that they are from Creed. This gets people to notice them that may not have noticed them to begin with. Those of us who were huge Creed fans know all their names and also know that they have started their own post Creed projects. People who don't follow it wouldn't know. People who didn't follow Creed closely may not know that Scott was the lead singer for Creed or Mark Tremonti was the guitarist or that the guys from Creed formed a new band named AB. I don't see anything wrong with it. Creed was huge and everyone knows that name. Theres nothing wrong with trying to attract attention to your new band or solo project by saying "hey I was with Creed". Surely everyone can agree on that.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #75
titan9
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Titan, since when do you point fingers? lol! j/k

Hey, when I'm being taken down by Uncertain, I like to take someone down with me if possible.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge Of Clay) What I meant is I like Stapp's tone (his HC tone) better. Stapp could be in the Top 3 singers of modern rock if had the same range and control as Myles.

I never said Stapp is better though, which he's obviously not. Among the 3 you said, Myles is 1st and Cornell 2nd, if we consider his current shape.

You say rock singers are tenors, but I beg to differ. I don't think it's a rule. There are many rock singers who aren't tenors and they blow a lot of them out of the water.

Amen, bro. That's pretty much what I meant. There is no denying that Myles and Cornell are better singers technically because of their range. Stapp doesn't have that huge range. But he has a certain smoothness(or tone, if you will) to his vocals that I like. What he lacks in range, as far as I'm concerned, he makes up for in passion and smoothness. He might not be able to hit high notes, but when he sticks to a key with which he is comfortable(and good at) he sounds really good, imo. Maybe not to you, Uncertain, but to people who actually appreciate baritones even when they can't hit huge notes, Stapp sounds pretty good(or at least the MOP/HC era Stapp did...but even his new stuff on tour is good).

Good point about Hestla, Marcos. He is one helluva singer.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!