++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
best chorus?

so far all we have heard is the choruses for most of the songs, im gonna say overcome is by far the best, second is thousand faces. everything else sounds kinda mehhh. im holding out for some good solos/ breakdowns hopefully. after hearing all the verizon ringtone previews stapp's vocals/melodys all sound almost the same on these songs none of them really standout to me. "song you sing" and "suddenly" are almost identical
Old 10-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
nagpo
USER INFO »
Re: best chorus?

I like Bread of shame. I've heard it live(on youtube). It sounds pretty good. I haven't heard enough of the songs yet. It's to early to judge based on low quality 18 second bits of the chorus.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
pricey.21
USER INFO »

I like "song you sing" and "time". I would say "bread of shame" is the worst 1 that I have heard but I still think it's a good song.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
King Oropher
USER INFO »

Don't give up on us! Don't give up on love!
If my life is the price, then my life it will cost you
Old 10-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by nagpo) I like Bread of shame. I've heard it live(on youtube). It sounds pretty good. I haven't heard enough of the songs yet. It's to early to judge based on low quality 18 second bits of the chorus.

i forgot they are playing bread of shame live? guitar solo? so far we have 3 for sure i believe. (overcome, full circle, thousand faces)
Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
BSC
USER INFO »

They've also played Rain live acousticly, I don't think there's a guitar solo in Bread of Shame but theres a nasty guitar riff. Stapp's vocals is a bit of a letdown in most of the videos of that song though..

I'm liking all of them, some less than others, but I can't choose a best one at the moment
Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
creediscool17
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by BSC) They've also played Rain live acousticly, I don't think there's a guitar solo in Bread of Shame but theres a nasty guitar riff. Stapp's vocals is a bit of a letdown in most of the videos of that song though..

I'm liking all of them, some less than others, but I can't choose a best one at the moment

its hard to choose a best one when they all pretty much sound the same. my own prison and human clay didn't have much variety in the guitar tone and drum beats but all the songs were solid and somewhat unique with their melody compared to the others....

this new stuff is like human clay in that it mostly has the same tone, yet the melodies are all similar as well. i mean faceless man was a great song, so was "what if"... but if every song had the same sound as faceless man, that album would of sucked.

weathered had a lot of variety in it and thats what makes it their most dynamic album, and their best, despite a few commercial songs like "my sack of rice" and "one last breath" they were still good because they had substance. Bullets was their best heavy song they ever did, along with "whos got my back" which is their best song, its boderline genius...

new stuff has just fallen flat... i mean all we've heard from most of them is the chorus, but that used to be creeds strength, unless tremonti is pulling out some serious guitar work, on the intro's outros and verses, this album just isnt gonna be that great
Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
creve
USER INFO »

I would be interested to know how long the band were in the studio and how long they took writing each album out of interest if anyone knows.

Because I imagine it was at least double the time they spent on this one, and I have a feeling that it might show.

Steve.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
rabidgopher04
USER INFO »

Weathered was written in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Creed009
USER INFO »

"Weathered" was by far the worst album that Creed ever put out. The hard songs they put out like "Bullets" and "Freedom Fighter" had no melody at all and were simply screamers. I'm glad that this album is shaping up to be nothing like Weathered. From what I can tell, the songs on this CD are going to be great, and it could end up being their best CD ever.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
in reality
USER INFO »

I agree, Creed009. Even though Weathered was an awesome cd, I think this one will outdo it. Howard Benson produced Daughtry and knows how to produce music for today. Weathered was a one of a kind cd for me, but I always like the way modern rock changes over time. I'm glad Creed is showing this progression.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
nagpo
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by rabidgopher04) Weathered was written in 2 or 3 weeks.
You're going to have to back that one up. Weathered may not have been the best, but in not way was it a money-grab album.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
creve
USER INFO »

Weathered was written in 2-3 weeks? That's impressive.

As much as there are some to avoid on there such as Freedom Fighter and Lullaby, there was some pretty impressive songs on there including the likes of 'Who's Got My Back' which is, at least, stunningly produced if not nicely written in some people's eyes.

I expected it to have been written over a more expansive time than that. I also don't think that Weathered was a money-grab album, not by a long shot, but that isn't what's being implied. I was asking about how long it took to write the albums based on song-quality because, as much as 16 second clips of choruses in poor quality are not the best guide, the songs sound a bit samesy and lacklustre to me.

I imagine that Human Clay took a bit longer to write / produce, because that's their most ambitious album if you ask me.

Steve.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
shadyogrady
USER INFO »

OK, I must chime in. The thought of Creed and guitar solo in the same sentence blows me away. That's what I hate most about post Hair band of the 80's music. Listen to any Van Halen album and you'll hear a guitar solo in every song. I've yet to hear a Tremonti guitar solo on any of their studio albums, and of the 6 live recordings I have; he's yet to play one.

Creed is great at what they do and the type of music they play. Each CD has it own unique qualities to admire. I think Human Clay was the best and MOP second. When speaking of musical progression and how bands change over time, they often disappoint old fans and appeal to new ones. Take Queensryche for example; their first five albums were very progressive with high screaming vocals then came Promise Land which wasn't bad but was definitely moving in a different direction. Everything after that had poor sales album and the fan base diminished.

Another example is Metallica. Compare Kill'em all or Ride the Lightening to Load or Reload. Completely different with a distinct progression. Not that its bad but with music progression you lose and gain fan base.

I tend to liken Creed to 3 Doors Down, in that their guitar rifts and vocal melodies aren't very dramatic in range but are extremely creative in that realm. I would love to hear Tremonti break out a guitar solo similar to Eddie Van Halen, Steve Lukather of Toto, George Lynch of Dokken, Neil Schon of Journey, or Randy Rhodes of Ozzy. I'm just not convinced he has the capability to be that kind of guitarist or have the creativeness to put one flat square in the middle of a song. He's good at what he does but guitar solo's don't seem to be his forte.

I have a few live recordings from this year’s mini tour and I like what I hear in regards to the new material. The lyrical depth and chorus structure seems to fit with songs across all three albums. I do think they have progressed musically though. Creed is one of my favorite post 80's and Grunge era bands of all time. I'm extremely excited to hear the new album and have hopes to see them on the second U.S. tour leg. Time will tell for both. Ten days and counting.

Shady
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
josha31042
USER INFO »

Have you heard Tremonti outside of Creed?
The guy is one of the most underrated guitarists in the world.
There were solos in Creed's music. Stand Here With Me is a good example.

If you listen to Tremonti in Alter Bridge, you can really hear him show off some of his skills. Better yet, look him up on YouTube doing his instrumental song; Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad.