++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
How Submersed got used by Wind-Up

Look what I've found on an Sub fansite. Please read it, it's pretty important. This guy is a die-hard fan. Look what he has to say:

Quote: There are very few times in life when you can genuinely say: this is something I've waited a long time to see happen.* I can remember reading through the Creed forums finding the latest news and seeing what other people thought of the band.* There, I found people promoting their own music, their own lives, through mutual love of rock.
There, was a band who had only been together for a few months called "Submursed".* They released three songs independently on an amateur website, they were "You Run", "Unconcerned", and "Deny Me".* Instantly, there was a fan base for these guys.* After playing together for only about eight months, they were signed by Wind-Up Records (in July 2002).* That's the same label that the band they idolized was on.

Now part of Creed's label, they were reworked, so to speak.* Lead guitarist of Creed, Mark Tremonti, brought in his protege, a teenage guitarist he had been in contact with, and the lead guitarist for Submursed was gone.* More changes took place when the label started to play Legos and started piecing and taking apart the band.* They even corrected the band spelling and made them Submersed.

The new mix of "You Run" has a lot of new guitar, and a lot of the old fans (me included) took a while to adjust to the fact that this was, indeed, a new band.* We also had to accept that this was a Creed side project.* In fact, the only person responsible for the ALL of Creed's albums (producers and label included) that wasn't directly involved was Scott Stapp (lead singer for Creed).* Tremonti and Scott Philips (drummer for Creed) both worked on the album (in production and performance), and Kirk Kelsey (producer on all Creed discs) is the producer on Submersed's debut "All Things Becoming of the End".
That's the history of the band from my perspective.* I'm not sure if I like what has happened to the songs now that they are being re-tooled to be more marketable (almost to the point of over-production), but I'm damn sure that these guys have been a band I've been following for a reason.* Pure rock with pure heart.* And the new artwork rules.

http://www.submersed.com

The same story is happening to another band who was very close to Submersed (geographically and personally), and they have even been in contact with Creed as well.* Be sure to check them out.

http://www.faktionband.com

FAKTION

You can thank me later.
And that, ladies and gentleman, is what it's like to see the world from a Flesh and Blood Perspective.

What I was upset about was that they changed guitarist. Here's the official guitarist: Eric Friedman bio from Submersed.com:

Quote: In an ever changing world and society, the human spirit yearns to find some sense of consistency. For the five guys that together make up Submersed, that constant is music. Eric Friedman (Lead Guitar, background vocals) experienced this revelation and saw it become a part of his reality at the age of 13. It became the catalyst for the creation of the "Eric Friedman Band," and the beginning of a journey that would lead him in directions he never could have imagined.

During Friedman's early teens, he immersed himself in the Blues, and unbelievably caught the attention of players which included Steve Vai and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. At the age of 15, his tastes broadened through a connection he felt with an album titled "Human Clay," and his ears opened to the sounds of Modern Rock. His new love for rock lead him to the 1999 N.A.M.M. (National Association Music Merchants) show in Anaheim, California where he met Mark Tremonti. The guitarist became his mentor, and Friedman explored fresh ideas and sounds through the band "Blacksun," which provided the vehicle to perform in many of L.A.'s top rooms. Following a number of auditions with signed acts, a young band from Dallas came knocking to fill a void left by the loss of their lead guitar player. With a record deal on the table, Submersed grabbed Friedman in the summer of 2002.

Did Wind-Up used Submersed? What do you think, write it down!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-03-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
RMadd
USER INFO »
I don't know. Are any of the band members complaining? An interesting perspective, nonetheless.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #3
The Lithium
USER INFO »
Ask the band members if they complain, I have no idea!

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Hmmm. Intersting. I wonder what Wind-Up's point of view is. If it is like that guy said it was, could they be doing that to Creed to try to get something new?

I like Faktion, too. The're pretty cool. Didn't know they were affiliated with Creed.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 02-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
The former lead guitar quit. When Mark heard they had an empty spot, he suggested Eric. That's not being used. So far they don't have a official drummer as well. That's why Flip recorded the tracks.

I know it should be done by now. THey recorded it in Jan 03. How can they still be post-producing it? One thing I know is Evanecence's album was too (post) mixed, too many sound effects... I hope it doesn't happen with Subbie. I think not, considering the tracks I heard.

And of course their debut album will have marketable songs. We won't see a band rising like Creed (MOP) in any near future.

But I think they're (that's my guess!) pushing SUbbie back coz they want them to tour with Tremonti's new band.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
RMadd
USER INFO »
Ah, so the truth comes out!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Mr.Anderson
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Anderson Send a message via AIM to Mr.Anderson Send a message via MSN to Mr.Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.Anderson
Doesn't matter to me as long as it sounds good and they can reproduce it live. Every Windup band I've heard is great on Cd and in concert. I'm sure they won't disappoint or overdue it.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
I don't understand this kids opinion, and I don't understand how you can say Submersed got used by Wind-up. If you truly have the feelings that the author of that message has, you should be blaming the band for signing with Wind-up in the first place. When a band signs with a label, the label is supposed to take their material and market it. Submersed had to know what Wind-up's plans were for their album when the agreed to join the label - it had to be in writing. It's no one's fault buy Submersed's if they do not agree with what Wind-up is doing.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #9
benkenobi
USER INFO »
The way I see it. First off, if the guys from Submersed (regardless of the way it's spelled) could have easily gotten out of any situation they didn't want to persue in. Second, if one of the easily top selling rock band's offers to help out the band than they know what they're doing, and only a fool would argue. If you don't like it, then go elsewhere, and it seems that Submersed definately didn't go anywhere and it sounds like it's gonna be awesome!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:56 AM   #10
SleeplessAngel
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to SleeplessAngel Send a message via MSN to SleeplessAngel
I don't like wind-up...that's all.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #11
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I know Flip played drumms, but if you check at [http://www.submersed.com]Sub.com[/url] it says that they have an official drummer, and he's not named Scott Phillips.

take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 02-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #12
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by extreme_LITHIUM) I know Flip played drumms, but if you check at [http://www.submersed.com]Sub.com[/url] it says that they have an official drummer, and he's not named Scott Phillips.

Problem is they didn't have that new drummer when the album was being made. Thus, Tremonti said, "Hey, I know of a guy who plays drums." That new drummer guy tours with Submersed now, but during the recording sessions Flip did the work.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:47 AM   #13
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) Problem is they didn't have that new drummer when the album was being made. Thus, Tremonti said, "Hey, I know of a guy who plays drums." That new drummer guy tours with Submersed now, but during the recording sessions Flip did the work.

cool conspiracy theroy but Steve and others are right on the money! I don't think Wind-Up said hey we can turn them into a Creed side-project and we can guarentee this many sales. They needed a lead guitar so Mark suggest Eric, they need a drummer so Flip fills in for a short time, similary to Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age. SubmerseD still has control whether or not they have a record deal.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #14
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by hide) cool conspiracy theroy but Steve and others are right on the money! I don't think Wind-Up said hey we can turn them into a Creed side-project and we can guarentee this many sales. They needed a lead guitar so Mark suggest Eric, they need a drummer so Flip fills in for a short time, similary to Dave Grohl with Queens of the Stone Age. SubmerseD still has control whether or not they have a record deal.

I agree, that's what I meant by Mark saying he could get Flip to play drums. They just needed a drummer at that time and a guitarist in Eric. Wind-Up hasn't done anything except probably secure a successful future for that band like they have done with Creed, Evanescene, etc. Just to name a few of the biggest sellers.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:01 AM   #15
hide
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by benkenobi) I agree, that's what I meant by Mark saying he could get Flip to play drums. They just needed a drummer at that time and a guitarist in Eric. Wind-Up hasn't done anything except probably secure a successful future for that band like they have done with Creed, Evanescene, etc. Just to name a few of the biggest sellers.

and without Creed they would in reality just be another of Wind-Ups acts. With Creed's help they have a ready made audience us!