++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-12-2002, 06:08 PM   #16
CreedSpirit
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
It's too bad that the people of Scotland are missing out on Creed's music ~ Might have something to do with the promotions overseas as well as the fact that they changed there plans for touring in Europe after the car accident.

I think that as soon as they put out a CREED LIVE DVD ~ that will probably get them more exposure tied in with another event that might be aired overseas.

Can't wait to see them next weekend (((praying that Scott is well & healthy))) in Salt Lake City and in Los Angeles!

One ~ The Only Way is ONE
Old 10-12-2002, 11:02 PM   #17
Read JDM
USER INFO »
As others in this thread have already alluded to, Creed is an unpopularly popular band in the USA. They sell far and away the most records of any modern rock group, and they're known to have the largest fan base, but yet you'd be hard-pressed to find a fan if you looked for one at random. In fact, I only know of two people who like them, one being my brother, the other being his best friend.

They've suffered, so to speak, from this false perception that they're a Christian band, when, in fact, they're a band that happens to be comprised of people with Christian backgrounds who are willing to touch upon issues of faith and consequence in their songs. In truth, a Christian band is a band with a Christian agenda (for better or worse, depending on your tastes and philosophies), and so, Creed is not a Christian band. Still, people will believe what they want to believe, and it's drawn a real line between those who like Creed and those who don't. There's not much of an in-between to speak of.

This is the only reasonable explanation for the fact that plenty of people who don't like them sincerely seem to hate them. I mean, I know of a good number of people who like bands and songs very similar to Creed but yet they despise Creed, and there's nothing else I can think of that would make them dislike Creed like they do. It's a shame, too, because Creed kicks major ass.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:34 PM   #18
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
That is exactly right Read. But what I still cannot figure out is why those that don't like Creed don't just dislike them, they are HATED. I don't understand the hatred? It seems that, in this country at least, you either LOVE Creed, their positive messages, their soulful lyrics and awesome music, or you just HATE them. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground on the issue.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-13-2002, 03:05 AM   #19
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Most of the Creed haters I know say when they hear a Creed song on the radio they change the station. And Read, you are so right. They will mention other bands they like that have very similar sounds to Creed. The three or four who give me grief for my love of Creed say they can't stand Scott Stapp and his so-called posturing. What I think is that they have bought into the media bashing and the Christian band perception. When I try to defend their hard-rock side, the bashers laugh at me. I try to get them to tell me how many songs they have heard, and they only mention some of the lighter radio songs. The whole thing is weird. I think there are a lot of closet Creed fans, who say they hate the band, but probably have the CDs, which would explain the record sales. I think it's just hip to be a Creed hater for some reason.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 AM   #20
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I think you are absolutely right. There is no way that their record sales could possibly be that high, when we can count on one hand the number of admitted Creed fans around us in our everyday lives. Unless we fans are buying up dozens of copies of the CDs, which I find hard to believe.

Old 10-13-2002, 04:50 AM   #21
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Outside of the people on this board, the only Creed fans among my friends and family are one male friend, my sister, two nephews and a niece. That's it. Every one of my friends say they hate them.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:11 AM   #22
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
One of my best friends and I were on the phone back in '99 and I mentioned WAWO on the radio and she just went on about how she had seen them in Camden from the 3rd row and we just went on and on about them. Another of my friends was at Universal last Oct. when I was at Disney. She called me at the hotel and told me that she had seen Creed filming a video for their new single, had I ever heard of them. So there are 2 of my closest friends and I never knew they liked Creed because we never had reason to discuss them. (we email and talk on the phone on occasion, but not as often as we'd like).

Old 10-13-2002, 11:04 AM   #23
Aimee
USER INFO »
I was in a chat room not too long ago and people were talking about music. I mentioned Creed, and of course people were lke "Creed? ewww" So I said, "Why is it so cool to hate Creed?" And they were like, you mean the Christian band? And I start defending that and then play ONE for them. After the song was over, someone goes, "Oh that was a good song." And that was it. I guess people are really afraid of bands that are labeled as Christian because they don't seem to fit the whole bad ass image that rock-n-roll is. (Think Stryper ) We can thank the media for that. What I don't understand is where this trend started in the first place unless it was the bad Rolling Stone reviews over and over and over (until Human Clay got huge of course!). Anyone remember?
Old 10-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #24
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Well, in going back to the whole misconception about Creed being a Christian band, I think they've gotten bad press for the same reason Christians in general have gotten bad press. I think there's this belief out there that if you're Christian then you're going to try and preach to people. I don't necessarily think this is true, but lots of folks do. So, if people are under the impression that Creed are a Christian band, then they're also under the impression that Creed is just a bunch of Jesus freaks who are trying to brainwash kids with their music or something. It's pretty ridiculous, if you want my opinion, especially when you consider that it's a lot better to be brainwashed by someone with values than someone without them (hypothetically speaking, since I don't believe Creed's trying to brainwash anyone at all). To me, the beauty of My Own Prison -- the entire album, but especially the song itself -- is just the fact that it's a frank discussion on how having faith is hard.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:38 PM   #25
jrsman12
USER INFO »
I agree w/ you completely, my firend, right on.

_____
I hear a thunder in the distancce, see a vision of a cross, i fell the pain that was given on that sad day of loss.

----My own prison
-Creed
________
Mercedes-Benz 500

Last edited by jrsman12 : 02-08-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:16 PM   #26
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
To me, the beauty of My Own Prison -- the entire album, but especially the song itself -- is just the fact that it's a frank discussion on how having faith is hard.

YES!