++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 08-19-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Got a new puppy!

I bought a new puppy yesterday, a papillon, we named him Labatt, he is 8 weeks old, and seemed to be doing fine, but today when I woke up, he wouldn't even move and when I picked him up to hold him, his head and body just felt limp. He couldn't even stand up, so I rushed him to the animal clinic and turns out, his blood sugar was extemely low, and he almost died. I was in tears, but they seemed to stabilize him, and he was walking around. They wanted to keep him over night, so after I picked the kids up from school we went by to see him, and he was having to be force-fed, but still doing a lot better. I will get to bring him back home tomorrow. I am pretty upset that I was sold a very sick puppy, I don't think places should be allowed to do that, but he is just the cutest little guy, and I have now grown attached. Even after just a day. They are adorable, and great kid dogs. If I am not mistaken, from the photo gallery (back in the day) Dan has one. Papillon means butterfly in french, and their little ears just poof out like a butterfly. Mine is about 4 pounds now, and will only grow to be about 7 pounds. Cute as a button though. They get bigger, grow longer hair and of course get the ears. I will attach a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pap0421d.jpg (6.5 KB, 310 views)
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Mr.CreedFreakTN
USER INFO »
I hope he is ok. We have a new puppy too who is now 10 weeks old. We got him two weeks ago. His name is Aspen and he is a Great Pyranese. He'll get about 120 lbs. Now we have three , a German Shepard collie mix, and a Lab Dalmation mix, we are dog lovers as you can tell.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Oh, how cutie! Hoping he's better now.
I'd like to get one, but since i live on apartment i dont know if would be a good idea...
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 08-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Thanks you guys! I know what you mean about an apartment though. That is why I never had one before, because they need that room and somewhere to run around. I haven't heard anything from the vet yet, but when I was taking the kids to the church for a bowling/park/picnic thing this morning, we drove by and they had him on a leash outside letting him get some fresh air, so he seems to be doing better.

I will keep you posted. Yesterday he didn't even have a name, and we may change it from Labatt to something more fitting once we bring him home. Not sure yet.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Very cute puppy Carrie
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Well, I don't get to bring him home today.
He has had diariah (sp?) and even threw up, he will eat through the medicine dropper, but they have him on an IV with dextrose coming straight to him. They said he will be fine, but they don't feel he should come home til he's better and eating on his own, so they think Monday will be better.
Poor little guy!
I want to kill the pet shop that sold him to me. I shouldn't have to hospitalize a puppy I just bought, and not even have him home with me. They should have taken better care of him while he was there. Makes me sad.
I will let you know when I know more.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Thats horrible that pet shops get away with selling sick animals Theres gotta be someone you can call about that or something. I think businesses that do that shouldn't be in business

I hope you can bring your puppy home soon Carrie
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Awww, Carrie, I hope your puppy gets better soon so you can get him home. He sounds like such a cutie pie.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
hotforscott
USER INFO »
I hope so, too. They called me about 7 pm last night, and said that his blood sugar was finally normal at 120. When he arrived at the clinic it was at 8, can you believe that? Poor little guy. It got as high as 200, which was better then 8, but too high and for awhile stayed at 30. They said he was now steady at 120, which was great, and that they found a little parasite, which was causing the vomiting and diareah. I am supposed to know something Monday. Dr. Holly said that the eating now, is the issue, and that he shouldn't have any long term problems. She said he was barking and responding to noises, which was a great improvement. I am glad he is doing better, but it's sad that I don't have him here. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Please do. I'm glad he's doing better
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Well, I got a call last night from the animal hospital, and he is staying steady at 120, like he should, without IV's, etc., but he is still not eating on his own. They are feeding him with a medicine syringe, and he still has the parasite that they are treating with meds, but they said he's doing really well. They just need him to eat on his own, before they can release him, so that he doesn't end up with the same problem. I am afraid that because he is only 8 weeks, that it may be too soon, and he may not be able to try to eat on his own until he's 10 weeks or so, which worries me, because that would mean a long time of being hospitalized. Maybe once the meds have treated the parasite, he will feel like eating. I am going to go see him today, and see if they can give me a rough estimate of what it's costing to have him in there overnight. Tonight will be the 4th night, and I will pay whatever, because that's our dog, but I want to be prepared also. I will let you know more as it comes about.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Also, we decided that Ajax would be a better name for him. So his name is Ajax.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
It's probably going to be pretty expensive, but if they are pretty sure he's going to be OK, then it's worth it. I like the new name, too
Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Ok, I went and saw him this morning about 9am. He was hooked up to an IV again, it was really sad. They let me hold him, wrapped in a little blanket, because he was trembling, but there was good news and bad news. The good news was his blood sugar was staying at 120, and also that they had to coax him, by putting the food in their hand, but he did eat on his own. The bad news was that a lot of other factors had shown up in his blood work, that were causing vital statistics, to drop low. They said this could be caused by a number of things, the fact that he's not eating, the parasite that they are treating, or Parvo, or a liver shunt, or shaunt, I can't really remember, but they are going to do the Parvo test today, and the liver one tomorrow, and I really hope they can rule those possibilities out, and that he will start eating on a normal basis, on his own, and that he can stay steady at 120 blood sugar wise, without the IV. I REALLY hope he gets better, and I can bring him home soon. I FINALLY got a hold of the owner of the place that I bought him from, and they were extremely nice about it, and are willing to offset some of the costs, and they offered to replace him if anything happened to him, but it's still not the same. They are supposed to get in contact with the vet this afternoon, and then call me tomorrow. Anyway, just to let you guys know.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
hotforscott
USER INFO »
Ok, the vet closes at 7pm so I called them about 6:50 and spoke with the doctor, and the Parvo test came back negative, which is awesome. He didn't eat as well today, but is getting better, that is their main concern, because if he is not eating, then his blood sugar will just drop really low. They found ANOTHER parasite, that they are treating with another med, but that is totally curable, and also, if he could start to eat, he could even come home, and we could treat the little parasite viruses at home. Other then that she said he is doing really good. I hope that he continues to do so. They are going to run the liver test tomorrow, and she said hopefully rule that out. If they could that would be awesome, then all we would have to wait on, is the proper eating. They have said that the parasites and oral meds that he is taking for them, could cause the lack of eating and that they last about 8-10 days, so maybe once that clears up, he can eat normally and we can have him here with us. I miss him.