++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
njcreedite
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Scott Stapp's Behavior

There have been lots of comments over time about Scott's behavior. Julbright's "Has Anyone Met Scott" thread has many as do others. I know I have judged his behavior. I'm not going to address the whole Chicago issue. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is his behavior at meet and greets etc....
After reading more posts on this subject, and not being able to sleep last night, I decided to watch "Behind the Music" and the Woodstock videos (yes, I'm lucky to have both...no I'm not able to make copies. ) . As I watched it struck me that Scott is NOT arrogant (okay, he may or may not be at times....but not in this way) he's just not a real social person. I of all people should have recognized this. My husband is the same way. He likes the few people he likes and doesn't need to be around any others. It's not that he doesn't like people....he just doesn't feel a need to be around them. At the end of Woodstock....the band gets their picture taken with the Doors guitarist (who just played a few songs with them). After the picture is taken, Scott leaves. The rest stand there and talk. At first glance it looks like he's being rude....but if you watch...he's already shook his hand and said a few things. Scott was just probably ...done! He'd said what he wanted to, done what he needed to and now was done. My husband would do the same thing. Some people just aren't into small talk. I'm sure we can all think of people like this.
They aren't aloof or arogant.....just not as social.
Remember....just cause some one is a performer...does NOT mean they are out-going. I can think of many performers who are similar. They love to perform...not socialize, it makes them uncomfortable. Kurt Cobain was a good example. He loved to sing and play his music....but hated the fame and the social aspects of his work. Scott has said he was always quiet as a kid...he just still is.
Well just thought I'd share my late night observations...of course it's afternoon now....had stuff to do so couldn't write this out till now. Had more to say, but this is wordy and rambling enough.
Linda
We were both singers. Chris Cornell The first time we played he came to this little club and he told me that it was really good and he was thankful that I was there and that I was who I was, or something really nice, but the whole time he was saying this, he didn't realize but he was standing under a black light, and his teeth were glowing and his eyes were glowing. I remember it as my first conversation with Satan ..."
Old 08-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Julbright
USER INFO »
I agree with you - I think it would be safe to say that many many performers are not outgoing people! And I don't also think that meeting him after a show or at times like that is an accurate sum of his total personality because he is all revved up and not in his "normal" state.

I just miss him and started that thread to hear people talk about him - esp ones who have made contact with him.

Where would one get Woodstock Videos? Was is something taped off of TV
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie
Old 08-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
StappStalker
USER INFO »
Im the same way so I understand i was quiet all through school myself but i would still like to meet him i dont know what i would say since i am a shy person and am not that social.Some people think i have problems but im not that talkative
Old 08-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Julbright
USER INFO »
I am in the business of working with people, and I don't ever really think people are arrogant and I have never pegged Scott Stapp as arrogant. I think many of the people that are pegged as arrogant ARE really shy or less social than people expect them to be. I generally think of arrogance as OVER confident in one's abilities, talents or whatever - arrognace has a negative connotation because it is not genuine or congruent with reality. Scott has confidence and he is on the quiet side - that combo prob makes it easy for the average onlooker to assume he is arrogant.
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie
Old 08-21-2003, 04:29 PM   #5
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I'm the same way to at times I have days where I don't want to be near anybody at all I'm not very social in public either:embarass:
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
njcreedite
USER INFO »
lots of people are shy...lots are quiet. They are not the same thing. My daughter is quiet, but she is NOT shy. Some people ARE both, but you don't have to be both.
You guys are right. Meeting someone at a meet and greet for a minute or two isn't going to tell you much about that person. Still, for someone who is not social...I can see why meet and greets would be very uncomfortable for them. Too many people and nothing but small talk. No time to really chat with anyone.
As for meeting Scott....if he were doing a meet and greet in my area, yes, I'd go. I don't dwell on meeting him. It'd be nice, but it's not that important to me. I'm much more into the music. If I ever had to choose....go to the Creed concert...or go to meet them at a meet and greet??? I'd choose the concert.
We were both singers. Chris Cornell The first time we played he came to this little club and he told me that it was really good and he was thankful that I was there and that I was who I was, or something really nice, but the whole time he was saying this, he didn't realize but he was standing under a black light, and his teeth were glowing and his eyes were glowing. I remember it as my first conversation with Satan ..."
Old 08-21-2003, 04:33 PM   #7
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I used to be very shy and quiet and in school I would hardly even talk to my teachers:embarass: I can relate and yes you won't get to know someone by only being around them for a few minutes Cuz you never know what kind of mood they are in
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-21-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
marlsy
USER INFO »
I am totally that way too and always have been. I am not good at small talk and I don't like engaging in it, makes me uncomfortable. I also am shy, I don't like going up to anyone I don't know. It's really hard to get to know me in person but once you do, I am a great friend!! I was always told I was stuck up, well I'm so not that. I just am shy and quiet!! That's why I relate so much with scott!!
Old 08-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #9
Yvonne
USER INFO »
I totally agree with Linda, and if I had to choose between a meet and greet or a concert I would definately choose the concert. CREED's performances are soooooo mind blowing, so full of energy, and full of love.....I know that sounds goofy, but I actually felt love when I saw them in concert the first 2 times.

After putting on a show like that, I wouldn't even expect the man to hang around to chit-chat. We are all familiar with how deep this man's mind is.....if you haven't already-just pay close attention to his lyrics!!! I'm sure for him, life is heavy and he needs some sense of peace and aloneness(not lonliness)

Maybe Linda's right, he's just not a social person, he leaves that stuff to Mark, Flip and Brett....which, in my book, is absolutely cool
Old 08-21-2003, 05:59 PM   #10
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Right on, Linda and Yvonne. I'd pick the concert any day!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
SCOTTSMYMAN
USER INFO »
Linda my husband is the same way. Even with my family who he has been around for 13 years. He's not into small talk and when he's done he moves on. It's a great thought you bring to the table about Scott and probably right on. As for my choice i think I'd have to go with the concert too. If I met Scott in person I wouldn't know what to say and would probably just sit there staring and struttering at him anyway!

"I'm not like the girls that you've known
But I believe I'm worth coming home to
Kiss away night
This girl only sleeps with butterflies "
Old 08-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #12
hotforscott
USER INFO »
That makes complete sense. I am not like that, I am pretty social and outgoing. I can talk to anybody, but I can see where he is like that and others as well. It makes sense.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:12 PM   #13
Sheila63
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Yvonne
I totally agree with Linda, and if I had to choose between a meet and greet or a concert I would definately choose the concert.  CREED's performances are soooooo mind blowing, so full of energy, and full of love.....I know that sounds goofy, but I actually felt love when I saw them in concert the first 2 times.    

After putting on a show like that, I wouldn't even expect the man to hang around to chit-chat.  We are all familiar with how deep this man's mind is.....if you haven't already-just pay close attention to his lyrics!!!  I'm sure for him, life is heavy and he needs some sense of peace and aloneness(not lonliness)

Maybe Linda's right, he's just not a social person, he leaves that stuff to Mark, Flip and Brett....which, in my book, is absolutely cool  

I totally agree with you guys and Yvonne, you read my mind. With all the he energy and emotion he puts out during their shows, is it any wonder that afterwards he would need some time to just come down from all of that? I can only imagine what it must be like for all of them to perform like they do.

And to me, you don't sound goofy. The one Creed show I was at, the feeling of love and unity in the place was UNBELIVABLE!!! It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

Relearn Love
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
JenRN
USER INFO »
Linda your explantion makes sense, I think we all need to just come to the fact that he is not "Mr. Social butterfly"! There is nothing wrong with that, he gives me so much in his music that I could really care less. Let him be him, not what we want him to be. I can't imagine all the expectations placed on him by so many people. I myself am very outgoing and have no problem making small talk with anyone. I can talk to anyone usually and I usually get people to loosen up a lot. I have kindda been known as the "class clown" I just try to get people to lighten up by humor. I accept him for what he is, he to me is mysterious, passionate and intense and that is attractive in itself to me!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 08-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #15
njcreedite
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by JenRN
<b>Linda your explantion makes sense, I think we all need to just come to the fact that he is not "Mr. Social butterfly"! &nbsp;There is nothing wrong with that, he gives me so much in his music that I could really care less. &nbsp;Let him be him, not what we want him to be. &nbsp;I can't imagine all the expectations placed on him by so many people. &nbsp;I myself am very outgoing and have no problem making small talk with anyone. &nbsp;I can talk to anyone usually and I usually get people to loosen up a lot. &nbsp;I have kindda been known as the "class clown" I just try to get people to lighten up by humor. &nbsp;I accept him for what he is, he to me is mysterious, passionate and intense and that is attractive in itself to me! </b>

Me too Jen...I was voted Class Clown in Middle school. Can you believe it?:lol: I can talk to anyone anywhere any time.
Getting me to SHUT UP is the problem
Yup....I vote we just let Scott be Scott and as Yvonne said...leave the social duties to Mark, Flip and Brett.
Scott can remain the handsome silent type