++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 08-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Creedfan199
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Creed and the Greek Mythos

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've been wondering for a while about Creed's connection to the ancient Greek mythologies, and whether or not their Christian public image is really just a pose (like mine) to hide a deeper belief in the ancient gods of the Aegian penninsula.

It may sound crazy at first, but the more I listen to songs like "Higher" (which to me symbolizes a desire to reach toward the hights of Mount Olympus) and "Arms Wide Open" (about Prometheus stealing the fire of the gods) the more I feel like they share my belief in a more rooted civilization than the Christian monotheological perspective.

Consider the song "One Last Breath" which really goes into depth about the life of Hercules. The lyrics "I yelled back when I heard thunder" show Hercules' first cry as an infant to his father, Zeus. The "six feet from the edge" analogy is a moment of self-doubt for the mighty half-Olympian, as he calls into doubt his ability to complete the seven tasks to which he has been assigned. Sure, he's completed one, but he's "six feet" or "six tasks" away from the goal. Thinking then than "six feet ain't so far down" shows how he overcomes this doubt, by realizing that maybe these tasks aren't so big at all.

Also, the title of the Creed album "Human Clay" to me seems to be a reference to the ancient Greek belief of Humans as intricate pieces of pottery, molded and sculpted into human form by the Potter god, Hermione, then having life breathed into them by Zeus himself.

Am I the only one that's spotted this? I've written the band about this issue many times, and I haven't gotten an answer from them, but I really think I'm on to something. It's refreshing to hear a band that's truly in touch with the legacy of our ancient greek forefathers, as the religious beliefs of the Greek at that time are so often dismissed as mythology today.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
myownprison382
USER INFO »

what a load of garbage. ive been listening to creed ever since theyre stuff appeared on the radio, and even i know your full of crap. For instance, "One last breath" is all about scott's dead grandmother Elaine. Hercules?? Have some respect and go and find out what stuff is actually about before you go writing halfassed theories like that Oh, and i'm missing the forest for the trees of course; HELLO, CREED IS A CHRISTIAN ROCK BAND!?? Zeus? i suggest you *really* learn more about that, or else you'll have an unpleasant future ahead of you!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
ZION1010
USER INFO »
Hay Creedfan199 Welcome Thats kwite A theroy ya Got going there Umm Interesting These Gods That You Speak Of Did In Fact Were Here many Worlds Ago But the God I Serve Is King Of theme All However I Do pray For You and I Hope that you Do Realize that JESUS CHRIST IS KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS My Lord Through Creeds Music Saved My Life And Babey It Wouldnt ZEUS No Ofence God Bless You
Old 08-13-2003, 01:05 AM   #4
DangerousDan85
USER INFO »
Re: Creed and the Greek Mythos

Quote: Originally posted by Creedfan199
<b> It may sound crazy at first, but the more I listen to songs like "Higher" (which to me symbolizes a desire to reach toward the hights of Mount Olympus) and "Arms Wide Open" (about Prometheus stealing the fire of the gods) the more I feel like they share my belief in a more rooted civilization than the Christian monotheological perspective. </b>

Scott wrote "Higher" about reaccuring dreams he was having and such

and everyone knows what "With Arms Wide Open" is about
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Alice in Chains- Nutshell
Old 08-13-2003, 02:31 AM   #5
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Well, Creedfan199 is entitled to their own opinion. So long as personal opinons are not pushed and shoved down people's throats, everything should be fine.

Welcome, Creedfan199
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 AM   #6
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by myownprison382
<b> &nbsp;

what a load of garbage. &nbsp;ive been listening to creed ever since theyre stuff appeared on the radio, and even i know your full of crap. &nbsp;For instance, "One last breath" is all about scott's dead grandmother Elaine. &nbsp;Hercules?? Have some respect and go and find out what stuff is actually about before you go writing halfassed theories like that &nbsp;Oh, and i'm missing the forest for the trees of course; &nbsp;HELLO, CREED IS A CHRISTIAN ROCK BAND!?? &nbsp;Zeus? &nbsp;i suggest you *really* learn more about that, or else you'll have an unpleasant future ahead of you!!! </b>

Whoooooa..... Creedfan would like his head back when you are done with it. Creed many times has said that they like to leave their songs up for interpretation... so whatever Creedfan believes is just his interpretation of the song. There is no right or wrong answer. And as for creed being a christian band... let's see what mr. stapp has to say about that.

"Are we a Christian band? This is a question we are asked a lot because of some of the references made in the lyrics. No, we are not a Christian band....." -- Scott Stapp
Old 08-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote:
"Are we a Christian band? This is a question we are asked a lot because of some of the references made in the lyrics. No, we are not a Christian band....." -- Scott Stapp

It's amazing that people still keep asking that question when time and again, they have said they are not a Christian band. And who cares if they are or aren't? If you like the words and music, then just enjoy!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
JenRN
USER INFO »
EXACTELY Dogstar!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 08-13-2003, 11:58 PM   #9
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Very interesting therory. I'm actually impressed! That is the most interesting theory I have ever heard!!!!!!!! Dunno if it's right though, but still cool.

Yeh, well Scott has this way of really masking the true purpose of what he writes and one example is Higher. Higher was actually concerning Scott's experiences with the Hindu practice of lucid dreaming, where U manipulate your dreams, in Scott's case, someone was constantly killing him in his dream and through lucid dream techniques, he was able to turn that around. I'm pretty sure thats basically what he said.

Higher also has 2 references to biblical text, which is why people think its about heaven. Interesing eh?

The human clay reference that U made reminds me of a verse in Jeremiah concerning God being the potter and us being the clay, but I dont think thats what they were going for.

Well I will be looking into your Prometheus and hercules theories though, and will be getting back 2 U. Though I think that you should look out for the online chats with Creed and ask Scott yourself, perhaps?

D

ROCK HARD!!!

Old 08-14-2003, 03:44 AM   #10
MrSeeker
USER INFO »
Is this some kind of joke? please tell me this is a joke! Thats the funniest thing i have ever heard!!! I cant believe someone would believe that.

Favorite bands,
As I Lay Dying
Demon Hunter
August Burns Red
Becoming The Archetype

Voices are hidden
Giving shame to my name
Am I no better forgiven
If I leave this world the same.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:49 AM   #11
MrSeeker
USER INFO »
Human Clay most likelly did come from that verse,because Scott does believe in God and he was forced to read the Bible. Hmmm...
i wonder if Scott still reads the Bible.

Favorite bands,
As I Lay Dying
Demon Hunter
August Burns Red
Becoming The Archetype

Voices are hidden
Giving shame to my name
Am I no better forgiven
If I leave this world the same.