++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Mark Tremonti Comments

found a few comments made by Mark in an old Guitar World Lesson article...

Quote: Tremonti: This is probably the most basic song of ours

WTLF

Quote: but it's the biggest pain in the ass to play live. It's the last song we play before our encore, and before I start the song, I do a little two-minute, unaccompanied "classical" piece

two minute piece sounds like a "solo" to me

Quote: similar to what's played on the original version of My Own Prison. Then, I start the song, and I hate picking all of the individual fucking strings! All of the attention is on me, and if I miss one note, it's all downhill!

well, all the attention is on him, even more now

Quote: The million-mile-an-hour stuff is actually easier to play, and the cleanly articulated, simple-sounding stuff is the hardest stuff to get perfect every time.

So, does this mean that there will be more Million Mile an hour stuff than cleanly articulated simple sounding stuff on AB's album?

Quote: That's the only time of the night where I'm thinking, Fuck--I've got to concentrate!

guess he may be thinking a lot about concentrating again...real soon

Quote: For the chorus section, I switch on my "dirties" [distortion]. This section is basically made up of the same chords as the verse, but they are strummed.

Quote: Tremonti: Creed originally had another guitar player, but he was kind of an Eddie Van Halen-type of guitarist: he could solo all day long, but he wasn't big on rhythm.

Since Myles plays guitar, will he play rhythm, or just remain the new front man?

Quote: He would also come onstage barefoot, and was kind of a "happy hippie." whereas the rest of us are unhappy hippie-haters! (LOL) Now that I'm the only guitar player, I have a lot more respect for one-guitar bands. You can't just go out and wail all night; you've got to fill in the space.

Depending on if Myles plays, will it be up to him to fill in the spaces

Quote: I'd love to have a side project where I can just solo like crazy over everything.

seems like he got his wish, altho it went further than "just a side project"

it seemed somewhat "prophetic" how Mark was feeling about his position playing music even during the H.C. tour...in a way, it's interesting how several of these comments eerily fit what has come about...of course...just an observation...and how it appears to me.

as a whole it was an OK article, but these were the parts that struck me.
below is the link to the article:

http://creeduniverse.tripod.com/guitarworld.html

~Ann~

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 06-28-2004 at 05:41 AM. Reason: For the sake of argument...
Old 06-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Agent D
USER INFO »
I really don't see how this mirrors what has happened recently with Alter Bridge.

And as for Mark's comments about playing articulate stuff as opposed to heavy stuff, he may feel differently now. His skill has come a long way.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
**** ***! don't start to post crap or diss (former) Creed members. I know it's hard for you die-hard Stapp fans to accept the band WE all loved is gone, but go dig some news of him so you don't spend your time searching for stuff where you can twist what was actually said.

The thing about WTLF is quite old, and if you ever tried to play it, you'd know how hard it is: miss a note and you ruin the whole song. Although it didn't stop Mark to create new songs such OLB (although this one is finger picked), Weathered and even Lullaby, which all have in common the picking instead of just strumming.

Your post is so bright that you don't even know what a solo is.

Don't try to blame Mark for Creed's break-up. He wasn't the one to screw a concert (sorry, dead horse, but Stapp did it). Why didn't Flip choose to stay with Stapp? And why is Marshall back? Seems no one of them had a trouble among them, but with someone else.

I'm not saying it's Stapp's fault, but you can't blame them for what happened to Creed. Would you rather wait for a 4th album with crappy songs played by unhappy guys in more Chicago-like concerts?

Let them go.

And if we get lucky, Creed can come back in the future for some sort of TV special and an album with no tours.

For now, be happy we have twice the material from musicians we appreciate.

Last edited by Bridge of Clay : 06-27-2004 at 12:16 PM. Reason: removing bad language
Old 06-26-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Woah there...cool your jets...and please refrain from telling me to F*** off...i don't agree with a lot of people but i at least remember my manners.

Now to address your post...nothing was twisted that Mark actually said, i only added a few of my observations, and questions to what was there, nothing more.

Don't assume me less than knowlegable when it comes to music/playing guitar..because you would be quite mistaken in your assumption. You don't know me.

Sadly when anyone chooses to say something that doesn't agree with the consensus, this is what happens...people go into hissy fits or they move to the land of la la la with their fingers in their ears...refusing to understand that everything was not just one persons fault, that maybe not all exmembers are taking credit where it is due, and continuine to "beat the dead horse" as their example of where blame should be laid, instead of just letting it take it's place in Rock and Roll history, like so many stories from the past.

I'm glad Stapp is doing what is BEST for him and that Marks wish of a side project where he can "solo like crazy all over everything" became his NEW BAND Alter Bridge...OYE doesn't move me, and unless the other songs on the album happen to, well, i'll always remember how i felt about them when they were part of Creed...the appeal of AB to many left over Creed fans and newbies is quite evident...

but just because they were once Creed doesn't mean that we should automatically like them because of WHO they once were, there would be no integrity in that, or for that matter agree with everyone that does.

Accept the fact that there will be those that will disagree and post what we think, because that is just how it is...

~Ann~
Old 06-26-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
Echelon122
USER INFO »
IS this like looking at Nostradamous' (sp?) works after something happens to find something that fits the situation? Or looking in the "Bible Codes" for words about events AFTER They happen?

So the guy didn't like being the center of attention....he still doesn't look or sound too comfortable with it..but sometimes circumstance dictates roll changes and adapting to new situations.
And the WTLF Blue Collar intro....He'd always either focus on his hands or the guitar or close his eyes...doing finger picking on a guitar's not that easy to do...and nearly every Creed fan that's been around a while knows the intro note for note...LOL They'd notice a mess up in there like STapp missing a note on vocals...

I think it was said by Myles actually, that he'd be playing rhythm guitar and backing up on the solos. ARe you trying to imply or create drama there Susan? or Grasping at straws?

they've always been big on "We don't put anything on the album we can't replicate live."....sometimes there were little pre-recorded fillers...but basially what you heard on Creed records was what you got. Right down to some filler guitar on SHWM and DSD..which Stapp jsut played a few chords for, but it filled the gap in the over all sound that a solo creates. AGain, Myles and I think too Mark, have said, that Myles will be playing live...time will tell in what degree.

Quote: I'd love to have a side project where I can just solo like crazy over everything.....(seems like he got his wish, altho it went further than "just a side project")

Actually, THAT side project (the one Tremonti is actually refering to) is just on hold for a while. Not the right time for it. But lots of artists have or want side projects where they can show their chops, in any vein.

Marcos...I love you...will you marry me? lol

I might be a newbie here, but I've been
around a long time.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
*waves at Erin*

Hi Erin, great to see you here!

LOL! This is the second proposal! Of course I will!

(geez... Stapp hardcore fans can't get a grip...)
Old 06-27-2004, 03:34 AM   #7
Echelon122
USER INFO »
Nah...they have a grip...just not necessicarily on reality. **shrug**

this it the 2nd proposal...well then!!! LOL

I might be a newbie here, but I've been
around a long time.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:37 AM   #8
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
calm down kiddies!

Do we have to go over the same things over and over? About OYE not clicking with some of the Creed fans that confuses me a little. I am not saying it sounds JUST like a Creed song but there is a similarity. I know some of the "Stapp fans" (that is really preddy stupid as is having purely Tremonti fans but I digress) won't embrace Alter Bridge but you'll miss out on Tremonti letting loose and Kennedy's great vocals.

I will be supporting both sides but why are we going over old ground again?
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 06-27-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) found a few comments made by Mark in an old Guitar World Lesson article...

Seems mighty prophetic how Mark was feeling about his position playing music even during the H.C. tour...in a way, it's interesting how several of these comments eerily fit what has come about...of course...just an observation...and how it appears to me.

as a whole it was an OK article, but these were the parts that struck me.
below is the link to the article:

http://creeduniverse.tripod.com/guitarworld.html

~Ann~
I don't see his comments as prophetic at all. I think it's natural for a guitar player to want to wail and solo a lot. I don't think they had any intention of breaking up during the H.C. tour. That's the record that made them. They were riding the wave at that point. I think it was the Weathered tour that did them in, but that's just my opinion.

And to be honest, I'm hoping for more solos in AB's music because I thought there weren't enough of them in Creed. It's the curse of a lot of today's music, the lack of guitar solos, which can really add to a song.

OYE did not blow me away, either, but I have to admit I LOVED Myles vocals and the harmonies. The song just wasn't hard enough for me, so I'm hoping the rest of the album will be more rockin'.

And folks, let's not use nasty language to rip someone's opinion. You can get your point across and your anger without resorting to bad language...Thank you, and have a nice day .
Old 06-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Actually a radio DJ interviewed Scott Phillips and he basically agreed that there was tension within the band for a long time.

DJ > I met you guys in 2001, and I believe it was somewhere like in Fresno or Bakersfield, California.

Flip > Ok, that sounds about right.

DJ > and this is the only thing I'm going to say about it. There was tension all around.

Flip > There's always been things for awhile. People are not idiots. They interpret things.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 06-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Hmm, could have been just a bad day.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Creed..........aren't they a Christian band?

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Old 06-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #14
Agent D
USER INFO »
I think the thing to remember is...it's about the music. Let's not dwell on who said this and who said that and what happened on this day in 2001 and that day in 2000-whatever. Just enjoy the old music and enjoy the new music.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:08 AM   #15
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) Now to address your post...nothing was twisted that Mark actually said, i only added a few of my observations, and questions to what was there, nothing more.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) Sadly when anyone chooses to say something that doesn't agree with the consensus, this is what happens...people go into hissy fits or they move to the land of la la la with their fingers in their ears...

First off, the original post in GW forshadows nothing. It is just that man's words at that time. Nothing may have been twisted intentionally, but you did twist his words. See when you added your witty comments in the middle of the interview you diverted my mentality in another direction. You made me think the exact way you did. If you are going to post an interview, whether it be here or anywhere else, save you comments toward the end. Let one read the article first, let them formulate thier own conclusions. Then and ONLY then will one accept what you had to say. See that article above is nothing more than Mark talking about WTLF. We respect your opinions here and you do have a valid one, but your approach was not welcome. Do it surprise you? I certainly hope not. If you do not think that this method does have an impact on people's emotions, then you've obviously never given money to a politician, charity, or any organization. That GW article looks completely different without your bold comments.