++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
interview with mark on AB and chicago

http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/...p04/262693.asp
those first few headlines particulary mark taking a stab at creed's music is a load of crap but he talks further about chicago which i am glad about for my information. mark never bashes creed's music in this article and i doubt he would so this writer is merely trying to stir trouble. anyhow...

Alter Bridge's guitarist is going by his own creed
By NATHAN LICHTMAN
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Sept. 29, 2004
Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti isn't pulling any punches.

Alter Bridge

The ex-Creed guitarist is still fuming at his former band mate Scott Stapp over an incident at a concert in Chicago, and he's even taking stabs at the platinum-selling music the group once made.

As cold as he may feel toward Creed and Stapp, Tremonti is enthusiastic about his new group, Alter Bridge. The quartet, featuring former Creed members Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall as well as former Mayfield Four singer Myles Kennedy, already is making an impact on the charts with its album, "One Day Remains."

Alter Bridge's hard-driving rock sound may not be far removed from Creed's, but the songs wander and explore possibilities Creed didn't. Kennedy's vocals breathe life into Tremonti's brooding thrash of guitar tones.

The group's tour stops at the Rave on Saturday night. In advance of the show, Tremonti spoke by phone from his home in Florida.

Q. How has Myles adjusted to his role? You wrote a bulk of the lyrics on "One Day Remains." Is he OK singing your lines?
A. A lot of the songs he easily relates to. "In Loving Memory" is a song about my mother. He had lost his father growing up, so he just kind of thinks about his own personal issues that he's had when he sings the songs. He's very good at it.

Q. Do you worry that fans will consider you Creed with a new singer? Or is that part of what you were going for?
A. No, not at all. "Open Your Eyes" was the song we picked as our first single to kind of bridge the gap between our past and our future, to let all the Creed fans who appreciated us before ease their way into this band. Once people hear this album they will definitely know this is not Creed.

Q. Scott Stapp has said there was no tension with the breakup of Creed. Is that true?
A. Well, we didn't really talk too much toward the end. We'd be on tour, but we'd be in different rooms, or if we were on the same bus, we wouldn't really spend a lot of time together. I think it was a lack of communication and a lack of a common goal. We would do soundcheck, and I love to write songs at soundcheck, and Scott didn't come to a soundcheck the whole last year of touring.

Q. A lot of people are still confused about the infamous Creed concert in Chicago where Scott Stapp was allegedly incapacitated. . . . What really happened?
A. I had my family there. I had a room where I would warm up, and Scott had his own room where he would watch TV or relax. And I remember when we were about to go on stage running into Scott and noticing that he wasn't in the right frame of mind. It was 15 minutes before the show. We couldn't cancel it because there would be a riot.

Scott swore he could do it, so we did it, and about six songs through he walked offstage. I ran after him to see what he was up to and told him to get back onstage, and he said, "Oh, I thought the show was over." I'm sitting there thinking, "What in the world is going on?"

We finished the set, but he sang wrong lyrics in different songs. It was a nightmare. My entire family was there. It was a bad thing, and me and Scott never really got to the bottom of that situation. I thought I deserved a little more respect. That was one of the main reasons we've had the problems we've had.

Q. Do you see the possibility of reuniting with Scott Stapp and Creed?
A. No. When this band is over, I'm over. This is it. The day we go back to Creed is the day we failed with this new band. Going back to Creed would be like crawling back with your tail between your legs. We took this step as men and we're going to complete it as men.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Is that the whole q&a? I don't see anything in there about taking shots at Creed's music. What a lame thing to write.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Chris98GT
USER INFO »
Quote: Q. Do you see the possibility of reuniting with Scott Stapp and Creed?
A. No. When this band is over, I'm over. This is it. The day we go back to Creed is the day we failed with this new band. Going back to Creed would be like crawling back with your tail between your legs. We took this step as men and we're going to complete it as men.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
This interview may have been posted to the site you got it from on the 29th...but for anyone that CAN READ and PAYS ATTENTION to what they read...there is NOTHING new or informative contained in that "interview"...

it is scripted, and repeats the SAME story, almost word for word, that has been told from the beginning by Mark and more recently by Flip...AB information???...Talking about that Band???...AB's goals...AB's plans...ummm....sorry...not seeing it.....

what i DO see tho, i've addressed in other posts...and will only say once more...it's done, get over it, move on...

Talk about AB...and get off the subject of stapp...it's going to come 'round and bite ya in the end...as always...just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-03-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
DekWannaBFlea
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) This interview may have been posted to the site you got it from on the 29th...but for anyone that CAN READ and PAYS ATTENTION to what they read...there is NOTHING new or informative contained in that "interview"...

it is scripted, and repeats the SAME story, almost word for word, that has been told from the beginning by Mark and more recently by Flip...AB information???...Talking about that Band???...AB's goals...AB's plans...ummm....sorry...not seeing it.....

what i DO see tho, i've addressed in other posts...and will only say once more...it's done, get over it, move on...

Talk about AB...and get off the subject of stapp...it's going to come 'round and bite ya in the end...as always...just my 2 cents.

We are talking about AB, this is an interview after the concert. If you don't like what your reading then don't read it ........I learn something new from that article that there will never be a creed again.......no matter what.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
Disillusioned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) This interview may have been posted to the site you got it from on the 29th...but for anyone that CAN READ and PAYS ATTENTION to what they read...there is NOTHING new or informative contained in that "interview"...

Although I had been a fan of Creed, I was not a member of Creed Feed or any other Creed forum. It wasn't until I heard Alter Bridge that I decided to join this particular forum. Being new around here, this is not old news to me, and personally, I appreciate that it was posted.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that with Alter Bridge having just released an album, new fans are going to find their way into this forum and like me, they are going to want to know about the band's history...which clearly includes the controversial breakup of Creed. It may be in the past, but the past is what laid the foundation for what now is, and what will be.

Furthermore, the press plays a huge role in the re-hashing of Creed's breakup and I would suspect that even if does die down, it will all come up again...either with the release of new Scott Stapp material, or quite possibly even with the release of the next Alter Bridge album.

Last edited by Disillusioned : 10-04-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: We are talking about AB

you and others may be talking AB...but out of those questions posted in that article...only TWO talked about AB. The rest of the interview...as it was posted...did not.

Good for you if you learned something from the repeated comments that are becoming a Mantra with Mark to the press...everyone has a right to either agree with what he says, or disagree...and in order to do so...everyone has to read it...

keep looking i guess for an interview that is TOTALLY centered on Alter Bridge...their experiences doing concerts maybe from the short English tour...or how much they have enjoyed playing to people since they've been back...why they have the guests they do and will those guys be popping up at their other shows, or just the ones they have done...but alas...it's always the same...just a couple comments on the band...and more dissing stapp...

i may not like AB's music...but i did support Creed as a band fully...and am curious to know what they are up to...as a group...but it's disheartening to watch the unforgiving attitude that comes across...instead of realizing...if all are happier on their own...then just let it be that way...and discuss what is important NOW...not then.

ETA: to Disillusioned...welcome to the bb...

i agree what is new to some is old to others...even if the same story has been printed numerous time with the words jumbled around by people calling themselves jourlalists in an attempt to convince their readers that they wrote it from an "exclusive"...my point was, the words always are the same...just as i said above.

will the subject keep coming up?...more than likely...but one way to keep it from coming up is when giving interviews...Let the person conducting the interview know you don't want to talk about anything but the project you are working on NOW...a lot of celeberties do it...so don't tell me it can't be done..because it can...

Last edited by Ann Allusion : 10-03-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
Disillusioned
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ann Allusion) will the subject keep coming up?...more than likely...but one way to keep it from coming up is when giving interviews...Let the person conducting the interview know you don't want to talk about anything but the project you are working on NOW...a lot of celeberties do it...so don't tell me it can't be done..because it can...
You may very well have a point, but aren't you speaking to the wrong audience? "We" are not conducting the interview, and "we" are not the one's being interviewed. In the context of the interview, as posted on JS Online, we're just a fly on the wall But if you really want to be heard, you could try contacting JS Online or Alter Bridge directly

Last edited by Disillusioned : 10-04-2004 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:08 AM   #9
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
i doubt the negative attitude would be have being shown here if mark didn't talk
negatively about the chicago incident here. nevertheless i agree with kerri the introductory part of the article was lame and creed will not be reuniting at least in the next decade as far as i can tell.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 10-04-2004, 09:55 PM   #10
StillACreedFan
USER INFO »
I don't like how this article makes it seem like Tremonti is distancing himself from Creed. Tremonti never said that, the way the questions were worded just made it look like that.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #11
The Lithium
USER INFO »
I told you guys all the time, I told you!! No reunion!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: keep looking i guess for an interview that is TOTALLY centered on Alter Bridge
No offense, but that's a little naive, don't you think? It may take years for that to happen, given that the news of the breakup is still just a few months old. We may have read the same "mantra" repeatedly, because we consult various sources for any news about the boys, but perhaps this writer has not written about Creed or AB before. Any editor who gets a story about AB without a mention of Creed would not be doing his or her job if he didn't ask the reporter to inquire about the breakup and what led to it, scripted or otherwise. It's the writer's job to ask those questions, as unpleasant as they may seem to be. Now, Mark doesn't have to answer them, but in all likelihood, the scrutiny and dogged questions just get more relentless the more quiet he is about the situation. I'm not saying that it's right, but it is reality.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
Ann Allusion
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) No offense, but that's a little naive, don't you think? It may take years for that to happen, given that the news of the breakup is still just a few months old. We may have read the same "mantra" repeatedly, because we consult various sources for any news about the boys, but perhaps this writer has not written about Creed or AB before. Any editor who gets a story about AB without a mention of Creed would not be doing his or her job if he didn't ask the reporter to inquire about the breakup and what led to it, scripted or otherwise. It's the writer's job to ask those questions, as unpleasant as they may seem to be. Now, Mark doesn't have to answer them, but in all likelihood, the scrutiny and dogged questions just get more relentless the more quiet he is about the situation. I'm not saying that it's right, but it is reality.

naive...quite possibly...but it is still something that...in my opinion... would put a more positive spin on AB...of course, for those that never did/don't care for stapp, well, they are getting exactly what they want...

the writer may never have written a piece or interviewed Mark before...but i can guarentee you that the writer, in all probability, read the same things most of us have and knew exactly which buttons to push to get the answers that would keep focus on "the subject of the day" and sensationalize his interview...after all part of being a writer is research on the those you are interviewing...right?

it may be a writers job to ask questions...but at the same time...the answers that are given are completely up to the one being interviewed...by continuing to discuss stapp and the breakup in detail...no matter how little or how much info is given out...just continues to FEED those writers choosing to focus on the past instead of the future of both AB and stapp....and the more you feed a fire the more damage it does to everything that it touches....
Old 10-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
ahh... let it go.

Truth is there is like 1000 fans who post on Creed related boards. All the rest (millions, since it's a multi-platinum band?!) don't. Those members who were away for a long time got surprised Creed broke up when it was old news for us.

The audience of a newspaper it's way larger, it reaches many more people than all the creed boards together.

And the break-up is recent. It's not their fault 3/4 of Creed joined in a new band... So when writing an article about a new band that's 3/4 of a multi-platinum band will lead to those questions, since I bet is common sense the curiosity for what the hell happened. Don't think Mark is answering those coz he wants... he could run away from the press and those questions, but he doesn't coz he's down to earth, polite and nice. Talking about Chicago makes him unconfortable...

It's part of being in the public eye... If it was everyday on the same newspaper, you'd be right to complain... but all the new articles come from different states...

but if you don't wanna talk about this topic, the easy way out is to not read them.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
It's not the writer's job to but a positive or negative spin on anything, though most are guilty of it to varying degrees. The writer isn't writing for AB or Creed; he or she is supposed to write for the reader. And judging by the volume and persistence of posts on the subject of the Creed breakup, I'd say a lot of readers are still very much interested in it. Again, that's just reality, and again, the writer would be remiss in not asking the questions. I agree, as I said before, that Mark can choose not to address the questions, but they will continue to be asked as long as the interest is there. It's like a divorce. I'm sure there is bitterness on both sides; to think otherwise also would be naive. It takes a while to get over it, too, and people cope in different ways. I'm not sticking up for either Mark or Scott S. in this situation, just simply saying it's not something that just goes away quickly.