++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
King Oropher
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Christian Review of Overcome

Quote: The less the christian community is interested in this the better, imo. No more "creed is a christian band".

As you can tell, I'm not a very religious person.

Well said Nag
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Deleted by User.

Last edited by Icedmofo : 10-19-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
BSC
USER INFO »

I knew from the title that there would be some really long posts in this thread!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #19
XALTERBRIDGEX
USER INFO »

I hate the fact that Creed is labeled a so called "Christian" band. Just because the lead singer has spiritual beliefs and in his lyrics they are a Christian band? Not one Christian station plays thier music. It has been said many time before that Tremonti and the guys just wanted to be in rock band...its a shame that alot of people won't buy the new record and give it a listen because they are labeled Christian band..thats the world we live in. Look at a band like Avenged Sevenfold, those guys get flack all the time because they all grew up Catholic and thier lyrics have "some" spiritual meaning from the Bible.

Last edited by XALTERBRIDGEX : 10-07-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Icedmofo
USER INFO »

Deleted by User.

Last edited by Icedmofo : 10-19-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
shunammite
USER INFO »

There are a lot of different ideas about "Christian" out there. The camps I used to participate in - they divided humanity into "the saved" and "the lost".
If you agreed with them, you were "saved", if you didn't you went on the prayer list. (And in some camps long ago you might get burned at the stake.)

I don't feel that the members of Creed see human beings as belonging to one camp or the other - more like One oh One the Only Way is One. Christ did say he came to bring division (yep I gotta verbatim verse but I'll spare you) - and so he does. But after the crucifixion it's all about One New Man, "one oh one the only way is one", find a way to connect with other people, rather than assert your dominance with your superior spirituality.

What the heck does "Spiritual" mean anyway??? Are there men with no spirit? I think if they are breathing, they are Spiritual. Spirit, same word as Breath in scripture.

Sometimes Christian means the security of being in a group where everyone has agreed to agree with everyone else. Ironically the real Greek meaning of the word translated "church" in the NT is "called out". Outside the camp/group/etc. But you can go in and out after you come out, John 10.

I am grateful to Creed as they helped me wake up to what I was about "in spiritual terms". I was not ready for anything any "heavier" at the time. I remember feeling ANXIOUS because he said "gd" in WTLF. I lived in a very small world, nearly everything was off limits. (Yet I was forced to deeply get to know the little world I was in - and you can find out everything that way too - maybe the only way, to be locked in your own prison for a while until you are ready - "are you ready" - to Come Out - when called.)

Now I enjoy so many things with new eyes - I don't give Creed all the glory, lol, but they helped me A LOT and I'm SO GLAD they have reconciled with one another. I cannot be worried about whether they are popular or not - let them that have ears put them to good use - they are certainly gifted music and dramatic experience makers whatever you think about whatever doctrine you think may be implied.

Is Marilyn Manson a Christian band? He went to Christian schools. He performed Your Own Personal Jesus - I think Depeche Mode wrote it. Someone to hear your prayers, someone who cares. Pretty spiritual if you ask me. People who have not plumbed their own depths (nice way to say SHALLOW PEOPLE) evaluate others the same way, without really listening and thinking and caring. According to your faith be it into you.

My .02 worth. (I believe that expression is actually from the bible, the widow's two mites - can't prove it.)
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
creve
USER INFO »

I think that Creed isn't a Christian band, but I don't think they have a problem with being seen that way, because it seems to be a huge market over there in the States.

The lyrics are very suggestive at times. And also doing things like filming the Don't Stop Dancing video in what appears to be a church, probably doesn't help the argument that they aren't 'in any way a Christian band' because although in some respects it might be just seen as an interesting setting, in other respects it would be seen as something suggestive of being Christian, like it or not.

I think that although Creed and their fans can say they aren't Christian 'til the cows come home, I don't think in the band's own mind they don't mind being suggested about that way, because it's a very popular market, and with them also being hits in the pop and rock markets, they'd only need a bit of honky tonk from Mark on guitar to cover Country and for Flip to break out some beats and Scott to rap about his bitches and ho's (in a Christian friendly way), then they'd have covered all markets...

It's a very unique position to be in, appealing to so many people for many different reasons.

But on the point of this review, I thought it was 'damned' to be honest...it would suggest that it's 'damned'...'I'll be damned fighting you...'....'I'll be dammed fighting you' makes no sense to me. But either way it's a ridiculous argument that you shouldn't go get a top song because of the word.

I've never been in a Christian set of boots, neither do I swear excessively, but that's just what I think.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
shunammite
USER INFO »

In the DSD video it's dark as pitch in that church, and at the end they step out into the light if I recall. But I agree that whatever may attract people to their art, go for it. I would not listen to them for a couple of years because I thought they were a "christian band". And others will not listen to anything "secular". No wonder the poor blighters have a hard time.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
in reality
USER INFO »

Loved reading your post, shunammite. I always liked the DSD video, thought it was well made and they do step out to the light at the end. I still agree with those that say Creed will be overlooked for the most part by the christian market. Like Evanescence was too, they won't be played in those markets anyway. So I do like the infrequent reviews by christian sites of their work. I don't know if I agree with Creve altogether, if Creed wants to be accepted by the christian market at any level remains to be seen.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #25
Creed009
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by XALTERBRIDGEX) I hate the fact that Creed is labeled a so called "Christian" band. Just because the lead singer has spiritual beliefs and in his lyrics they are a Christian band? Not one Christian station plays thier music. It has been said many time before that Tremonti and the guys just wanted to be in rock band...its a shame that alot of people won't buy the new record and give it a listen because they are labeled Christian band..thats the world we live in. Look at a band like Avenged Sevenfold, those guys get flack all the time because they all grew up Catholic and thier lyrics have "some" spiritual meaning from the Bible.

I disagree. I think the fact that Creed was labeled a "Christian band" helped them sell many more records then they would've otherwise. I don't believe that very many people refuse to listen to music from Christian bands. 75% of Americans claim to be Christians, and 90% believe in God. It's only the hard core athiests that won't listen to Creed. There's a huge market for Christianity, as you can see with the success of "The Passion of the Christ." I know that Creed is not a Christian band, but I think the misconception that they were a Christian band helped them sell more records than they would've otherwise.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #26
My Sacrifice
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed009) I disagree. I think the fact that Creed was labeled a "Christian band" helped them sell many more records then they would've otherwise. I don't believe that very many people refuse to listen to music from Christian bands. 75% of Americans claim to be Christians, and 90% believe in God. It's only the hard core athiests that won't listen to Creed. There's a huge market for Christianity, as you can see with the success of "The Passion of the Christ." I know that Creed is not a Christian band, but I think the misconception that they were a Christian band helped them sell more records than they would've otherwise.

I agree>
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #27
shiver
USER INFO »

It's been a long time since I have posted here, but I thought I would get in on this. I remember going on a mission trip one summer, listening to Creed. Someone said something about them being a Christian band, and I said, "no, they're not a Christian band. They use certain themes and ideas, and they write about things that I think a lot of people struggle with. They write about what they know." And I explained Stapp's strict upbringing. I mean the reason I connected with Creed was because around the same time I had some of the same questions and feelings that Creed's lyrics bring up. But the one point I made, and it was something Stapp said during an interview with one of my local radio station's, Christian music is about pushing God, and Creed has never pushed God. Never said you should believe in God. They just allude to their beliefs, and struggles in their music. Writers (no matter what they are writing) write about what they know. They write about life. This is what Creed has done, and I'm surprised that so many people miss this point. I am a Christian, but I do not worship God with their music, that is not the intention, but I am reminded of my struggles, my questions, my beliefs, thoughts, feelings, etc.
I know this is a long post, but man I felt like typing tonight!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
nagpo
USER INFO »

good post^
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 AM   #29
Chase
USER INFO »

While I somewhat agree with you, Icedmofo, you really shouldn't be judging people's grammar. Your sentences are riddled with grammatical errors.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #30
TrulyAmazing
Banned
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by shiver) It's been a long time since I have posted here, but I thought I would get in on this. I remember going on a mission trip one summer, listening to Creed. Someone said something about them being a Christian band, and I said, "no, they're not a Christian band. They use certain themes and ideas, and they write about things that I think a lot of people struggle with. They write about what they know." And I explained Stapp's strict upbringing. I mean the reason I connected with Creed was because around the same time I had some of the same questions and feelings that Creed's lyrics bring up. But the one point I made, and it was something Stapp said during an interview with one of my local radio station's, Christian music is about pushing God, and Creed has never pushed God. Never said you should believe in God. They just allude to their beliefs, and struggles in their music. Writers (no matter what they are writing) write about what they know. They write about life. This is what Creed has done, and I'm surprised that so many people miss this point. I am a Christian, but I do not worship God with their music, that is not the intention, but I am reminded of my struggles, my questions, my beliefs, thoughts, feelings, etc.
I know this is a long post, but man I felt like typing tonight!
Welcome Back Shiver your post was simple and was easy to read I give it An A + i,ve read longer way longer and post indeed there is a struggle inside us all some where but he that dwells us overcame the world peace be with ya and big thank ya for your