++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
01/28/2005 - Chicago, IL - Congress Theatre

Post your reviews here.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 12-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Trem24Fan
USER INFO »
Got my tickets already, can't wait. I saw AB rock the HoB to pieces here in Chicago Sept 30th & I know they'll do it again in January. The best live show I've ever seen end of story.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
Alter Shredder
USER INFO »
Awesome show...I was second row in front of tremonti....wow...what can you say...ill post a review later...but Steve here is the setlist

1. One Day Remains
2.Watch Your Words
3. Broken Wings
4. Find the Real
5. Burn it down
6. Down to My last
7. The End is Here (6 and 7 could be reversed)
8. Shed My Skin
9. Rock n Roll by Led Zepplin
10. Metalingus

Encore

11. In Loving Memory
12. Sweet Emotion-Aerosmith
13. Open Your Eyes
Old 01-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Torn Daredevil
USER INFO »
Well, here goes everyone! I'm going to go really in depth because it was the best night of my life. I'll go through it chronologically

I left Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) at about 1:30 (ET) and arrived at the theatre without a hitch around 3:00 (CT). I brought 2 friends, one who is my roomate and really only listens to metal, and the other who listens to a lot of different stuff and was open to new bands. Neither were Creed fans. I was so excited I couldn't contain myself. Hopefully I would finally get to meet some of my idols. We arrive in line and there were only about 10 or 12 people in front of us. After only about 2 minutes we look behind us and someone is like, "AHHHHHH, it's Mark." It was. That made my whole day, week, year, etc... I talked with him briefly and got an autograph and a picture (I'll post my pics later today). That was a serious high and I didn't think the day could get any better. Talking to Mark, he said they wouldn't be out later because of backstage stuff with his family in town. Then, the waiting really began. Nearly 3 hours in pretty damn cold temperatures. And we waited. And waited. And annoyed the people behind us with our stupid games...

They finally opened the doors a little earlier than they were going to, which made me (and everyone else) happy. One of my friends had the camera (which we had with us so I could get any must-have pics with any band members). Security stopped him, and wouldn't let him in. They were allowing NO cameras in the venue, at least the ones they found. This wasn't cool since the car was FAR away and we couldn't take it there. So my friend just stood outside and I was a little upset because of the masses of people moving ahead of us and losing that GREAT spot we had. My friend waited outside but I couldn't get to him because of the stupid "no re-entry" policy. Finally, I threw a fit and they allowed me to talk to him. Eventually, a femal security guard said she would make an exception and hold it for us. We then got some food and waited in another line, but pretty much at the end since we lost the great spot. Waiting in line about 15 minutes later, the same female security guard came over and gave the camera back. She said she had just spoken with "the artist" and that camera use WAS permitted. I think we set into motion a little policy change last night.

We went into the theater and actually got a pretty good spot, about 15 feet from the stage front and center (which is what I had at the Rave in October). We patiently waited for Submersed. They rocked, as usual. Much better than when I saw them in October. And, I was much more familiar with the music this time, so that helped. Their new song "The Rescue," was absolutely amazing. I can't wait to hear it with vocals, as it is still an instrumental. They ended with To Peace (my fave) and Hollow, and had really won the crowd over. Donald was much better in talking to the audience, but made some weird reference to the movie Anchorman. I got it, but I don't know how many else did. "I look goood. Everyone come see how good I look." E-rock had talked to a bunch of us standing in line earlier, and he simply rocked the stage all night. The man is crazy on that guitar.

SUBMERSED SET LIST:
Divide the Hate
In Due Time
Dripping
Flicker
The Rescue
To Peace
Hollow

So, Submersed over, I didn't know what to think of the next act... Waiting for Silvertide, I had no idea what I would think of their show. Ya see, Silvertide cracks me up. Not only is their brand of "sleaze rock" entertaining, they themselves are. Waiting in line earlier, the lead singer was talking to some of us (no one really knew who he was) and he was saying, "Man, I gotta get in for soundcheck, but I don't know how to get in the building." I had listened to their album a decent amount and enjoyed it. Very reminiscent of the Black Crowes. Well, I like Submersed, but Silvertide BLEW ME AWAY. Their sound live is absolutely HUGE. And, their lead guitarist is hysterical to watch. That man is the definition of "face-melters." He is so into it, singing along with each song, not a mic in sight. For those of you yet to see this band, keep an eye on him, he is so great to watch. The drummer is VERY good, as is the bass player. The lead singer is perfect for this band in every way. The only one who didn't seem into it was rhythm guitar, but the others were having a blast. They were very nice and very gracious to the fans. They kept a nice, tight 35-40 minute set, and it ruled. They opened I really hated Crossfade when I saw them, and part of that may be that they played for over an hour when everyone just wanted Alter Bridge. Keep an eye on this band.

SILVERTIDE SETLIST:
Devil's Daughter
You Want It All
Mary Jayne
Blue Jeans
California Rain
Heart Strong
S.F.C.
Ain't Comin' Home

Now, everyone was waiting for the main event. Alter Bridge. Having already met Mark, I was set. I was totally happy. We had moved up a bit since the beginning (guess some Silvertide die-hards, one of whom had been in front of me, had left early). After over 20 minutes of waiting, the guys came out at us with both barrels. Everyone went nuts. More nuts than the last time I saw them. I devote so much of my life to these guys and their music, this was just IT. I WAS IN IT. Singing along with every word, just completely jumping around out of my mind. It's beyond words. You just forget about all the pain from standing up for 8 hours straight (LOL). Like many have said, it IS therapy. Myles got into some weird conversation about singing high like he had tight underwear on, but it was funny how Mark just brushed it aside. Mark pretty much played the version of FTR that he played on Leno, and it ruled!!! Myles started choking or something during DTML and started laughing. Both Mark and Myles broke a guitar string on this song, apparently the first time that has ever happened. Then, in SMS, he came over to Brian and changed the words to "Awake to the fact there's no going back to the world in which he was living," obviously talking about Brian's past "problems." Even such a small little gesture was really heart-felt and meaningful.

They played a little of Van Halen's Eruption (per audience request) and some of For Those About to Rock, We Salute You. Then they played what I had been waiting for: Zep's Rock and Roll, and I just went nuts. One of my favorite rock songs ever. The Encore was great including Sweet Emotion, which ruled. The drummer and lead guitarist from Silvertide came on with the maracas and were having a great time right next to Mark and singing backup (Flip was, too!). OYE just hit me like the first time I heard it in June. WOW. The ooooo's in the middle are really something special Myles has with the audience and it just...WOW... At one point, I had the biggest grin on my face ooo-ing along, and there was an opening in the crowd, and Myles just looks at me and smiles and is like "yeah, man." What a show. I can't wait for the next one. The 3 Creed shows I saw were great, but they simply can't compare to the personal experience of AB shows (more on that to come).

ALTER BRIDGE SETLIST:
One Day Remains
Watch Your Words
Broken Wings
Burn It Down
Find The Real
Down To My Last
The End Is Here
Shed My Skin
Rock And Roll
Metalingus
In Loving Memory
Sweet Emotion
Open Your Eyes

(not totally sure about the order right before the encore)

So, I went outside on the side of the building maybe waiting to see more of the guys, hoping it wasn't a lost cause. This was about 11:15 pm. This is where I met NAGS!!! He is a cool guy and we talked for a long time. We moved over by the bus, and after about an hour, Brian came out. He was VERY gracious. There were only 3 others (besides me and my friends). He signed a couple autographs and took a pic with my friends and I. He then left to go down the street to a party with some friends. What a cool guy. He laughed at Nags (as did some of the crew) for wearing shorts! So, we waited and waited and waited. Nags left after a little while. We waited forever (keep in mind we had already waited an hour!).

We were gonna leave but I finally asked a crew guy going into the bus if we were waiting for nothing. He said no, they were still in the venue and would stop and talk to anyone still there (6 or 7, LOL) before they went anywhere. About 1:00 (2:00 where I live, ) Scott came out. He looked kinda busy but he signed an autograph. I didn't wanna bother him for a pic because he was carrying a lot of stuff. Finally about 1:10 (after 2 hours outside) Michael came out. I hadn't met him before but immediately recognized him. He said "You guys are still here? That is so cool!" He said the guys had all been inside with The Tremonti family. He didn't know where Brian and Scott were, so I had to tell him, LOL! I thanked him for all he does with fan relations and how much it meant to me, and he said it was his pleasure. He said Myles would be out shortly!!! AHHHHHH!!!

Sure enough, 1:15 rolled around, and the man himself came out. He was so nice, signed an autograph and took a pic with me. I told him I had rented Rock Star and was gonna watch it tomorrow, and he laughed. He was the greatest guy to talk to (Don't worry Nags, you missed him by at least an hour). It was cold and he had wet hair, so we let him go after a couple minutes. SO, having met each member of AB, I left, SO HAPPY. We had a long drive back to Purdue, and lost an hour because of the stupid time zone change. My friend Eric, the metalhead, seemed to enjoy it, and my friend Dan said it was the coolest night ever and he is a huge Alter Bridge fan now. We got to our car about 2:00 (CT) and went home.

I can't believe I met my idols!!! I'll post my pics later today.

THANK YOU SUBMERSED, SILVERTIDE, & ALTER BRIDGE!!!

- Jon Olson
Old 01-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Alter Shredder
USER INFO »
Ok so I got to the Congress around 545, waited outside about 20 minutes before they let the crowd insided...then we had to wait before they opened the auditorium...I was one of the first in the auditorium and got right down in front....right side of the stage.

After joking around with my fellow concert goers for half an hour...the show got going. Submersed was awesome. Dont remember their full setlist but Flicker was in there as well as To Peace, Hollow, and a new instrumental song called The Rescue. These guys just get better every time. They had a lot of crowd support as well, which is good for these guys.

Next up was Silvertide...but before they hit the stage some photagrapher came sneaking up front next to me for pics of silvertide. he was pretty funny...had comments about Stapp, meatloaf, and the 6'7" guy that was talking with us. So then silvertide hit the stage. They have a little bit of a classic/southern rock kinda sound. Their bassist was very good. The singer is a little "free spirited" on stage...dancing and such....they really didnt get much crowd support but I thought they were pretty good and definitely much better than Crossfade was.

Ok so finally time for AB. Ab hit the stage and started with ODR, the crowd was just hopping at that point...Then they went into Watch Your Words, and Broken wings...I was right at the point where the speakers on the floor ended so I had myles towering over me at times...shook his hand a couple of times throughout the concert, and Mark played his guitar just inches from Me....A dream come true. After Find the Real Myles was talking about how he worries about hitting the high notes at the end of the song, so he had to buy some underoos (kids underwear with animals on them) and how that helps hit those notes...then he was like "Mark you should try it, it would help you out." Mark responded with "i dont know what kinda gibberish you are talking about now, but i do know this note" (playing the guitar). Myles has grown a lot with his stage presence...he loves that mic stand...but all the guys have great interaction together(...something i never saw at the creed shows i went to.) Towards the end of the set they did Led Zepplins Rock and Roll. They had an AC/DC intro to it. Before they started it though...Mark Was like "Myles used to be in cover bands so he knows every song there is." Myles then said, " Well not every song. I still have to learn that whole Ashlee Simpson album." That had a lot of laughs...Then someone shouted Eruption so Mark and Myles started up Eruption. It was pretty cool. Then in the encore they did In loving memory and had the whole place singing with them. They followed it up with Aerosmith Sweet emotion. Then finished with Open your Eyes and had the crowd just roaring the whole way through. It was awesome. Definitely one of the best concerts I have ever been to.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:19 AM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Thanks for getting the setlist!

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 01-31-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Great reviews, you guys! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Chris98GT
USER INFO »
Those guys pretty much covered it all. T'was another great show.

The guys commented how they liked the look of the Congress Theater. I don't think they had been there before. It was my first time there as well. I think Myles said something like, "it looks like it's from the early...um... last century." (laughter)

20th century, Myles, 20th!

Last edited by Chris98GT : 02-05-2005 at 09:55 AM.