++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 06-06-2003, 11:48 AM   #46
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
This is for you, my good friend, until I can give you a real one!!

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 06-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #47
souldancer
USER INFO »
Ah....CreedFriends you are making me cry! You are so kind. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #48
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
I am a pretty new Creed fan, but I love their music so much, 90% of the reason being their lyrics. Lyrics are what I look at the most in a song, and why I am a Creed fan.
I first looked at Say I to mean that God is not there in our lives, and I was a little confused because of the spirituality present in other Creed songs. But I've come to believe that, in this song, he's blaming "this misconception we call Man" for God being so (note the quotations) "out of touch" with our lives. In the background during the bridge, they sing "Frantic, focus / These things unhold us / So look inside / You'll see they lied," again pointing to the wickedness of the world as the problem.

Also, I've always connected this song with "Who's Got My Back," in that "the covenant has been broken by mankind," and as a result we are left with no shoulder to rest our head on. The only reason God has left our lives is if we've closed the door to Him.

I think of the rest of "Say I" deals with the effects of living a life without God, such as "the stillness is so lifeless / with no spirit in your soul" and "led into the desert / for your strength will surely fade." This song is saying that, if we don't hold to something (i.e. God), then, being only human clay, "we'll surely melt in the rain" (or when trials come up in our lives).

While we're on the subject of lyrics, one of my favorite Creed songs is "Inside Us All." But could someone explain the "waiting by the phone / to remind me I'm still here" part? I love the lyrics to this song, but I just cannot figure out what that means, and I hope Stapp didn't just slap it in there to rhyme... he's so much better than that!!!
--Chevelle, "Don't Fake This"

"It feels so good to reunite,
Within yourself and within your mind.
Let's find peace there..."
--Creed, "My Sacrifice"
Old 06-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #49
Sheila63
USER INFO »
Welcome to the boar, mysacrifice411. I hope you enjoy yourself, there are a lot of great Creed fans here.

I enjoyed your thoughts on Say I, it's become a favorite of mine. I also love Inside Us All. The line that you mentioned - "waiting by the phone, to remind me I'm still here" to me means that he feels alone in the world, just kind of going through the motions of the day (kind of in his own world) and is waiting for the phone to ring to prove that he has a purpose for being here or that someone is there to care about him. Just my worth.

Relearn Love
Old 06-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #50
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I agree with that interpretation, Sheila. That's my take on it as well.

Welcome to the bb, MS411. Hope you like it here, there is a fantastic bunch of Creed fans here!!

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:35 PM   #51
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
welcome, MS411! I really liked your thoughts on Say I. I´m building a Creed Site in Portuguese, do you mind if I use your thoughts on song meanings? you´ll get credit!
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #52
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
Hey, I'm flattered that you like my insights.... Go ahead and use them, and let me know if you want my take on any other Creed songs!

--Creed, "My Sacrifice"
Old 06-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #53
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
sure! it´s always good to know some different point of views!

how about Hide? "I´ve been dancing with the devil way too long and it´s making me grow old", for example...
Old 06-09-2003, 02:34 PM   #54
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
Hide is definitely one of my favorites... I think the major portion of this song deals with being yourself, portraying the gifts and talents you possess without fear of what critical minds might think, without worrying about what those who are "cool" might think about you. It is extremely difficult to be yourself 100% sometimes, because so often we fear what others might think. This song (I think) encourages people to "give life, give love, give soul" through their gifts, and search for a place (or possibly a mindset?) where they don't have to hide their true selves from these critical minds.

I think the lines "I've been dancing with the devil way too long / And it's making me grow old" deal somewhat with what I've said above, but I think it connects most with the song "My Own Prison." The horrible things people do (maybe to please others) wear their minds down, desensitize them, and all in all cause them to be "rusted and weathered," as another Creed song suggests. So, by "dancing with the devil," one starts to lose innocence and carelessness and lack of inhibition to be one's self, all such qualities possessed by youth, especially children. I think the narrator in this song has come to a realization of how terrible and fake the life he (or possibly a friend) has been living has been, and is now searching for a place where he can portray his own self fearlessly.

The only lines I'm not sure about in this song are "Divided is the one who dances / For the soul is so exposed." I can't figure out if by "dances" he means "dancing with the devil," and one who does so divides himself from his true desires and feelings in an effort to please others. Another thought of mine is if by "dances," he means portraying your true gifts and talents and desires, at the risk of exposing your true soul to critical minds, which can be so intimidating, it divides you as you try to come to a decision. I don't know.

Hey, anyone feel free to tell me if I make sense or not, and I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions on this or any other Creed song! Sorry this post is so long....

--Creed, "My Sacrifice"
Old 06-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #55
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Re: Divided is the one who dances. I think it means the narrator is torn or afraid about whether to let his true self show. He knows that if he goes all out, it will expose him and his soul. It's as if one half of him wants to be himself, but the other half is afraid -- of many things, the criticism, rejection, whatever.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #56
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
I like your thoughts, dogstar! I was kind of leaning in that direction as well.

--Creed, "My Sacrifice"
Old 06-09-2003, 04:24 PM   #57
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
Once, a friend of mine said (about the lines I asked) it means that he was so beaten up by life, that he learned from it, grew old, wiser than he was when younger...not sure if you agree!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #58
mysacrifice411
USER INFO »
That's a really interesting take on those lines. I've never heard or considered them before. I think they make a lot of sense, and could be what Stapp intended. I still think, though, dealing with the whole "Weathered" theme, and how the song moves on to a sort of "search for something more real" tone, the take I have on it remains what I posted earlier. That is a terrific insight, though, and it's really put that song in a whole new perspective for me!

--Creed, "My Sacrifice"
Old 06-09-2003, 06:10 PM   #59
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Thanks, mysacrifice, and welcome to the BB. It's a great bunch of people.

Marcos, that's an interesting take as well. Still divided, as if his old self and new self co-exist, but he's dancing because it's his new self. Wow....
Old 06-28-2003, 07:30 PM   #60
Oloranya
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
<b>"the world breaths forms of misconception....he lies... but I don´t know him" &nbsp;</b>

the line is "The world breathes and out forms this misconception we call man, but I don't know him, no, i don't know him, because he lies, he lies."