++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Political Banter
Today's Posts «

Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Air marshal fatally shoots man at Miami airport

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10367598/

MIAMI - "An agitated passenger who claimed to have a bomb in his backpack was shot and killed by a federal air marshal Wednesday after he bolted frantically from a jetliner that was boarding for take off, officials said. No bomb was found.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Brian Doyle said the dead passenger was a 44-year-old U.S. citizen. NBC News’ Pete Williams said an official identified the man as Rigoberto Alpizar.

It was the first time since the Sept. 11 attacks that an air marshal had shot at a passenger or suspect, he said. A witness said that the man frantically ran down the aisle of the Boeing 757 and that a woman with him said he was mentally ill.

The passenger was confronted by air marshals but ran off the aircraft, Doyle said.

The marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get on the ground, but the man did not comply and was shot when apparently reaching into the bag, Doyle said.

Flight 924, which originated in Quito, Ecuador, had arrived in Miami just after noon, and the shooting occurred shortly after 2 p.m. as the plane was about to take off for Orlando with the man and 119 other passengers and crew, American spokesman Tim Wagner said. Alpizar had arrived in Miami earlier in the day from Ecuador, authorities said.

After the shooting, investigators spread passengers’ bags on the tarmac and let dogs sniff them for explosives, and bomb squad members blew up at least two bags.

NBC News confirmed that authorities searching the man’s carry-on backpack did not find a bomb.

Passenger Mary Gardner told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran down the aisle from the rear of the plane. “He was frantic, his arms flailing in the air,” she said. She said a woman followed, shouting, “My husband! My husband!”

NBC said the woman’s name was Ann Buechner, and the couple, who had been married for almost 20 years, lived in Maitland, Fla.

David Adams, a spokesman for the Federal Air Marshals, said in a press conference the air marshals asked the passenger twice to drop his bag and put his hands on his head.

“The air marshals discharged their weapons” when the man failed to comply with them a second time, Adams said.

Man reportedly bipolar
Gardner said she heard the woman say her husband was bipolar, a mental illness formerly known as manic-depression, and had not had his medication.

James Bauer, head of the Miami Federal Air Marshal field office, said the incident appears isolated. Air marshals were assigned to check for possible terrorist threats at airports throughout the country, but no threats were found.

“There is no nexus to terrorism,” Bauer said.

Federal officials declined to say how many times Alpizar was shot.

Relatives said Alpizar had been on a working vacation in Peru. A neighbor who said he had been asked to watch the couple’s home described the vacation as a missionary trip.

“We're all still in shock. We're just speechless,” said Kelley Beuchner, a sister-in-law.

Martin Gonzalez, spokesman for Colombia’s civil aviation agency, said the flight had “left normally with no problems.”

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., a senior member of the Homeland Security Committee, praised the air marshals’ actions.

“Air marshals put their lives on the line every day to keep us safe,” he said. “Thanks to the efforts of an alert air marshal, an individual was prevented from causing a potentially dangerous situation on the American Airlines flight that could have harmed passengers and crew members.”

Air Marshals are trained to shoot to kill. They have the most stringent small-arms training standards among law enforcement agencies.

There were only 32 air marshals at the time of the Sept. 11 attacks. The Bush administration hired thousands more afterward, though the exact number is classified."
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »
Just watched a story on the Marshall's rigorous traning program, likened imo to the SEALS...

I think he did the right thing.

Praying for all involved, and the media to not to *%#& this one up.

(God knows I cuss)

Heaven

Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
facelessmike
USER INFO »
Yeah, that had to be awful for his travelling companion, but I also think he did the right thing.
The TSA wont take any chnances nowadays. I was flying last year and had pair of tiny scissors in my carry on and they had 3 guards detain, search and question me all for a pair of freaking nail scissors!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
RMadd
USER INFO »
yeah, they did the right thing, but you almost feel sorry for the guy b/c he hadn't taken his meds and therefore wasn't likely acting in his right state of mind. it's very unfortunate, but i'm 100% sure if it was some idiot just doing it to goof off or, worse yet, an actual terrorist, i'd feel no remorse for the victim.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) yeah, they did the right thing, but you almost feel sorry for the guy b/c he hadn't taken his meds and therefore wasn't likely acting in his right state of mind. it's very unfortunate, but i'm 100% sure if it was some idiot just doing it to goof off or, worse yet, an actual terrorist, i'd feel no remorse for the victim.

Same here. Terrorists are the most cowards people in the world
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Chase
USER INFO »
The air marshal did the right thing. Imagine what could happen if that man really did have a bomb and the air marshal sat back to analyze the situation?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) The air marshal did the right thing. Imagine what could happen if that man really did have a bomb and the air marshal sat back to analyze the situation?

Oh My God! Im going to agree with your opinion here...lol
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
Chase
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Oh My God! Im going to agree with your opinion here...lol

I know! This surprises me because I remember the time when some British authorities shot and kill a Brazilian man (while he was running from them through the subway) and our opinions differed. Rock on Ana, I definately agree with you here.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) I know! This surprises me because I remember the time when some British authorities shot and kill a Brazilian man (while he was running from them through the subway) and our opinions differed. Rock on Ana, I definately agree with you here.

Yeah, Chase...I was thinking about that..i was emotionally involved at that time... and I still sorry for Jeans death. It was not necessary.It is proved now that british police were wrong. And now not that I find its good, but i can understand airnarshall action, but obviously they could just shot insteady of kill...was it possible ? Im not sure about that.

PS: Even though we disagree most of the times- (about Bush and Stapp lol) I always respect your opinion, Chase.
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 AM   #10
Ivan_Creed
USER INFO »
Re: Air marshal fatally shoots man at Miami airport

Tragedy it is, but a dumb one if the man was indeed a medical case..