++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 09-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #76
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Im still not sure about it. I havent listened to it again since the first 3 or 4 times I heard it, dont really want to either. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.
Some days my skin just isn’t so thick
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #77
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
^^^ That's kind of where I am at as well, Muad'Dib. I really hope the rest is better as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #78
in reality
USER INFO »
I love the single, just as I knew I would. At last the long wait is over.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #79
PJAmerica
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to PJAmerica Send a message via Yahoo to PJAmerica
EXCELLENT!! All I have to say. I went to scott's home page and found the clip and was impressed. He's back and bigger than ever with that track. Let's hope the rest of the album does as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #80
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp
Quote: (Originally Posted by Torn Signs) Now I'm going to be honest here. Since I don't post much, I might as well post about the next controversial topic; Stapp's upcoming album.

I do like the song, but the first time I EVER heard it I was disappointed. I don't know if it was that this song seemed like it was set along the same lines as Relearn Love in the sense of Christianity, or if it just didn't sound unique. Or maybe it wasn't rocky enough for me.

One thing I do know is, after hearing it a couple times I do like it. But I'm afraid it could be the first song he has song that I could get sick of. I NEVER have gotten sick of Creed, but I might be able to with this. It has a good background beat and he is vocally on target, yes. The lyrics are exceptional, yes. But I was hoping for some of the more hardcore lyrics like back in the day w/ MOP. I loved the freshness of what he unearthed there. Maybe that was just the child Stapp looking to grow from a child to an adult. Maybe he was looking for acceptance or understanding. I don't know. I was just more driven then.

And I have to say this, it has the same sort of "poppy" sound as Relearn Love. This scares me a bit and makes me wonder if that will be "his" sound. I am interested in Broken where he uses the piano, but I don't know, I've always liked Stapp w/ rock. That's why I prefer the more rocky version of Relearn Love, or the part of Relearn Love featuring Tea Party where it is a bit more pounding in the end.

Just my thoughts and reactions on a ballpark.

Your honest thoughts (in black) are definitely the same here!!!!!!!
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

Last edited by Ana4Stapp : 09-11-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #81
caseycarson
USER INFO »
I think Stapp solo has a much more promising future than AB could ever hope to have. AB is a great band. They have a lot of 70's style rock roots in their music. I like that. However, most young listeners today do not. This new Stapp single could be passed off as a new Creed single. I think Stapp's cd will sell far, far beyond AB's debut did......
Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #82
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Because Ashlee Simpson has a bunch of 12-24 year olds too dumb to realize they are wasting money. 12-14 year olds don't even know who Stapp is anymore.

No, I think the key here is radio airplay. Simpson would not have sold that many albums if "Pieces of Me" did not receive the type of airplay that it did. What I'm saying is that I believe Stapp will get a good amount of airplay, which almost always translates to big time sales. And who says 12-14 year olds won't know who Stapp is in a few months time?

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Depends on what successful means. I certainly can't see him moving a million albums in under a year...

If he gets the type of airplay necessary, he can accomplish that. If he gets 2 hits off that debut solo CD, he will go platinum within a year. Again, the key is radio airplay and video play as well. VH1 seems to be quite loyal to Creed, having given AB's OYE a ton of play in the beginning, so I can seem them giving Stapp's video a ton of play as well. That can translate to a good amount of radio airplay as well.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I hope for the sake of musical intelligence everywhere that this is not the case... lol. I can't see anyone wanting to buy his CD because of this single.

I can. *cough*Christian Community who thinks Stapp is a Christian artist*cough*.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) And since when has WU begun convincing you that they AREN'T stupid?

You've got me there.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Lol, do you live under a rock?! I couldn't get away from peopel telling me Alter Bridge was just Creed with a new guy who sounds exactly like Stapp... lol

You interpreted what I said in the wrong way. What I meant was that I never understood WHY people thought Myles sounded like Scott in that song. Obviously, being the Creed/AB/Stapp fan that I am, I heard that comparison all the time. And it ticked me off, obviously, because the two are nothing alike, not even in that song.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Titan I respect you, but saying Stapp and Vedder are as far apart as Stapp and Myles...

Misinterpreted me again. I did not say that Vedder and Stapp are as far apart as Stapp and Myles are. I just wanted to lead into the fact that I was going to vent about that stupid comparison. I've heard that same stupid comparison about a million times and it's frustrating because it is not true. Both have deep voices, yes, but you can easily distinguish between the two. Vedder goes higher than Stapp does, vocally. Stapp is not a Vedder clone, and anyone who has heard enough PJ and enough Creed can and will tell you that. It's just such a stupid comparison and I get a little ticked off when I hear it for the umpteenth time. They have some similarities, but nothing more than that.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I suspect your five year old neice has better musical knowledge than half the peopel in the U.S.

I don't doubt that. I've been working to turn her against the trash that is all over Pop radio today. She seems to have taken a liking to Rock music(huge Creed fan, even likes AB though she doesn't like Myles because she knows that he replaced Stapp, her favorite guy) but she still, unfortunately, likes some of the trash on Pop radio. Yes, she likes Kelly Clarkson, Green Day and Hilary Duff. But I have a feeling that they way I'm teaching her, she'll hate that stuff by the time she's 10. She won't be a teeny bopper.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #83
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) No, I think the key here is radio airplay. Simpson would not have sold that many albums if "Pieces of Me" did not receive the type of airplay that it did. What I'm saying is that I believe Stapp will get a good amount of airplay, which almost always translates to big time sales. And who says 12-14 year olds won't know who Stapp is in a few months time?

This is assuming he gets airtime. He may, he may not. If WU promtoes Stapp EXACTLY the way they promoted AB, he will get about the same amount of airtime. If they promote him more, than it could be different.

Quote: I can. *cough*Christian Community who thinks Stapp is a Christian artist*cough*.

True but if you get the Christian community it can be hard to hold the mainstream audience. Few acts can do it.

Quote: You interpreted what I said in the wrong way. What I meant was that I never understood WHY people thought Myles sounded like Scott in that song. Obviously, being the Creed/AB/Stapp fan that I am, I heard that comparison all the time. And it ticked me off, obviously, because the two are nothing alike, not even in that song.

Well there you go. Myles doesn't sound like Stapp... At all... but that doesn't stop a bunch of knuckleheads from SAYING he does...

Quote: Misinterpreted me again. I did not say that Vedder and Stapp are as far apart as Stapp and Myles are. I just wanted to lead into the fact that I was going to vent about that stupid comparison. I've heard that same stupid comparison about a million times and it's frustrating because it is not true. Both have deep voices, yes, but you can easily distinguish between the two. Vedder goes higher than Stapp does, vocally. Stapp is not a Vedder clone, and anyone who has heard enough PJ and enough Creed can and will tell you that. It's just such a stupid comparison and I get a little ticked off when I hear it for the umpteenth time. They have some similarities, but nothing more than that.

They do have more similarities than most, you have to admit.

Quote: Yes, she likes Kelly Clarkson, Green Day and Hilary Duff.

Wow. You jsut mentioned to three most annoying acts out there. lol

Oh well. If seh can get over her teeny bopper phase by the time she is six, than hopefully musical genius is not far around the bend. lol
Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #84
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) This is assuming he gets airtime. He may, he may not. If WU promtoes Stapp EXACTLY the way they promoted AB, he will get about the same amount of airtime. If they promote him more, than it could be different.

I think they'll promote him more. I think that is because he is probably more radio friendly, musically, than AB is. That and the fact that he was the lead singer for Creed, one of the biggest Rock bands in the last 5 years.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) True but if you get the Christian community it can be hard to hold the mainstream audience. Few acts can do it.

Switchfoot has. Relient K so far has. I'm sure there are other artists, that I am forgetting about, who also have. It's not that difficult of a thing to do, and I think Stapp is just the right man to do it.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) They do have more similarities than most, you have to admit.

I admit that they do have more similarities than most. They both have deep, grungey voices, but that's about it. Very easy to tell apart, if you ask me. No way is Stapp even close to being a Vedder clone.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Wow. You jsut mentioned to three most annoying acts out there. lol

Oh well. If seh can get over her teeny bopper phase by the time she is six, than hopefully musical genius is not far around the bend. lol

Oh, I have a feeling she will. She's got a strong head on her shoulders. No way will she be like all the other young girls out there. She's being raised a Rocker, and she'll be a Rocker.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #85
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) I think they'll promote him more. I think that is because he is probably more radio friendly, musically, than AB is. That and the fact that he was the lead singer for Creed, one of the biggest Rock bands in the last 5 years.

True, although Tremonti was the lead guitarist for Creed, one of the biggest rock bands in the last five years. Well actually, ten.

Quote: Switchfoot has. Relient K so far has. I'm sure there are other artists, that I am forgetting about, who also have. It's not that difficult of a thing to do, and I think Stapp is just the right man to do it.

I certainly don't. I actually knew you were gonna cry Switchfoot when I said it is hard to do, lol. I don't see how Stapp can do it though.

Quote: I admit that they do have more similarities than most. They both have deep, grungey voices, but that's about it. Very easy to tell apart, if you ask me. No way is Stapp even close to being a Vedder clone.

Meh, he's not a CLONE... Vedder is better. But he is eerily similar.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #86
IsThisTheEnd66
USER INFO »
Personally I think its great, why mess with the old stuff. If this worked with Creed, why go and change completely.... sure it may ruin him or it could renew him of his lost audience. (( i.e me )) Look at Creeds history, which songs did people like in general... it was the lite stuff. One, OLB, MS, Higher. Don't get me wrong the heavy songs did well to.. MOP, What If , Unforgiven, Illusion. Thats just how I feel... we don't need another heavy soundsing person but another lite person who can sooth our souls and hearts.
on skinned knees I'm bleeding and it won't be long
I've got to find that meaning and I'll search for so long.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #87
titan9
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) True, although Tremonti was the lead guitarist for Creed, one of the biggest rock bands in the last five years. Well actually, ten.

Yes, but in general(and I wish this weren't true) the frontmen are viewed as being the biggest part of a band. In this case, Stapp would be viewed as being bigger than Tremonti, because Stapp was the frontman for Creed. When people think Creed, they most likely think Stapp before they think Tremonti. That makes me think that WU is gonna promote what some view as the biggest part of Creed. I personally disagree with this, but it's unfortunately the way things are.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) I certainly don't. I actually knew you were gonna cry Switchfoot when I said it is hard to do, lol. I don't see how Stapp can do it though.

Yeah, of course I was going to use SF as an example. Too easy not to. Obviously, it's hard to tell if he'll be welcomed with open arms or not. He's done/said a lot of things in the past that obviously infuriated the Christian music community. It's not guaranteed that he'll receive acceptance from the CMC. Far from guaranteed. But I think because of the interviews he has done(the revealing one for Christianity Today comes to mind) and because of the songs(Relearn Love and TGD) that he'll be welcomed with open arms by the CMC. We'll see if that happens or not, though.

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Meh, he's not a CLONE... Vedder is better. But he is eerily similar.

I don't know if he's eerily similar. To me, Eric Durrance is more of a Vedder "clone" than Stapp is. But Durrance hasn't gotten that comparison...instead he's compared to Stapp.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #88
tremonti4life04
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to tremonti4life04 Send a message via Yahoo to tremonti4life04
That scott stapp guy that you all are listening to sounds a hell of a lot like the guy from creed...what a ripoff. ;-)

i only have one real complaint about stapps new band, the guitarist seems like he is trying to emulate tremonti waaay tooo much. He uses the same chords and chord progressions that tremonti uses in a lot of his songs. Dont get me wrong, it sounds great (guitar wise) but it almost sounds like this guy is using a PRS Tremonti...wouldnt that be strange. But, in all honesty, i do like the song, but i wanna hear it in its entirety, not just clips, that gets annoying.

Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me...Trust me
Old 09-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #89
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
LOL, tremonti4life. I agree, the guitar sounds a lot like Tremo's style. I, too, want to hear the whole song before I really judge it.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #90
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
I heard the full song... I'll post the link tomorrow when I get in the office.