++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Creed Sound

Quote: (Originally Posted by Agent D) Bands that people consider having that "Creed sound" are post-grunge bands. Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Revis, all the generic rock bands that aren't really distinct from each other.

Pretty much. In my opinion, however, Creed most typifies the "post-grunge" movement. If I'm not mistaken, Human Clay was the first huge post-grunge album, and is probably still the best-selling. I think it's silly to say no one sounds like Creed. Sure, they're not identical to anyone else, but I'll be damned if the lyrical content or vocals or whatever else isn't very similar to some of the bands Agent D mentioned. I think, these days, it's almost impossible for any band or artist to sound wholly unique. Even oddities like The Mars Volta or Sigur Rós are still classified under certain genres, and are influenced by certain artists, and in turn influence others. After all, when the record labels determine the latest sound, they go all in. That's why today you hear a lot of punk-pop, post-grunge before it, and grunge before that. Before that, there was hair metal, and so on and so forth.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ecclesiastes 1:9-14 NIV) What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. {10} Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by BoundNTied) I know. It kinda annoys me how everyone only notices Stapp. Like.. "Oh, Creed is an okay singer." They say Creed sounds the same as other bands just cuz of the voice. Everyone's tone deaf and don't actually listen to the MUSIC, just Stapp's somewhat annoying (but also somehow fitting) voice.
I think that might have something to do with why Mark formed Alter Bridge. It seems almost anything I read online or see on TV bashing Creed is due in no small part to Scott Stapp, whether it's the lyrics, his "Jesus Christ poses," or on-stage short-comings.

Quote: (Originally Posted by BoundNTied) His voice kinda does complement the music but I guess it does that just as much as it ruins it.
That's post-grunge fer ya.

Quote: (Originally Posted by BoundNTied) Tremonti really should start a solo project cuz he ain't a bad singer.
Uh, yeah he is. His bgv's are barely adequate, at best, whether on Creed or Alter Bridge albums. His tone isn't the best, and he doesn't seem to be the best at maintaining a steady pitch. I think he's just fine, rocking out with AB and letting Myles do the singifying.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

In terms of lyrical content, Creed was and is very unique. Their spiritual side really brought something different to the table.

That being said, Stapp's vocals aren't too terribly unique, though he at least did not use that pseudo-country accent that's used by the singers Nickelback, Cold, Theory Of A Deadman, Default, Seether, and probably some other post-grunge bands. To be honest, while there is some good stuff out there, post-grunge is just not one of the better rock sub-genres. Nickelback has some good songs, but their albums just don't seem to go anywhere. Silver Side Up is just plain boring beyond the singles. Three Doors Down and 12 Stones are good, but other than them, Creed, and possibly The Calling, I really can't name anymore good post-grunge bands.

Back on topic, like I said before, it was the power of their lyrics which I think gave Creed their popularity. It's the message of their music which made them stand out from all the rest.