++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 08-24-2003, 08:11 PM   #16
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
"In God we Trust" first starting appearing on coins during Civil War times. It was basically a feel good type gesture to try to get everyone to refocus on God. It didn't consistently appear on all money until the 50's. In the 50's it was voted as our national motto. It was basically a slap in the face to the russians who were looked at as heathans. The supreme court ruled it ok because they said it was more a ceremonial deity. I'm not really saying you are wrong about this, I'm just giving some background.

Common belief - Our founding fathers were Christian.

Actual Fact - Our founding fathers were deist or Unitarians.

I'm not sure when the Church tried to re-write history and claim our founding fathers were Christian, but I can assure you, they weren't.

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."
-Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

During John Adam's administration they ratified the Treaty of Peace and Friendship which states in Article 11....
"the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

T. Jefferson -
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Treaty of Tripoli - Passed during Washington's presidency. "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."
Old 08-24-2003, 08:21 PM   #17
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Point well taken, but it makes no sence as to why

... One nation, Under God... = Un-constitutional
In God We Trust = Constitutional

Whether the slogan on money is Ceremonial or not, I don't see how the two phrases are different. I also don't see how money can be ceremonial, yet the Pledge to the country, is not.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 08-24-2003, 08:24 PM   #18
bgivens33
USER INFO »
I might agree with you there... I'm still not sure about it. The Under God thing will get overturned if it hits the Supreme Court.... meanwhile, as long as you aren't in that 9th Circuit juristiction, you can say it anyway.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:13 AM   #19
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
I disagree. I believe the separation of church and state is necessary, because it allows for ALL religions to exist. Christianity is not the ONLY religion. If government got involved in religion (which it does in many countries and look at the civil wars fought in the name of religion), then it would most likely do its best to shove its beliefs down the throats of those who might worship differently, or worse, persecute those who don't practice as they do. It is a safeguard to prevent people from having to practice their religions in secret. Besides, I don't want MY tax dollars paying for something I may not necessarily believe in.

Oh, i wasn't saying the separation isn't necessary, like i said, i don't even know much about the topic. i was just saying that it seems people are taking every little thing about God out, not just the necessary clash-with-law and stuff, but everything, because they don't want to admit His existance. For example (and its probably not a very good one), Creation isn't even considered a possibility in schools anymore, even though evolution is just a theory.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:56 AM   #20
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Well, that depends on what you believe. And people believe many different things. There are many who don't consider evolution just a theory. I don't think it's about taking God out of things per se; it's more about keeping government out of religion. That's what I was talking about.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:07 AM   #21
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Well the official status of evolution is it's a theory. Scientists say it's a theory. It can never be proved, it can be supported but it will always be a theory. According to my wonderful little Biology class, nothing can ever be proved, if you write in your experiment "it proved that" you lose marks, it can only be "it supports the theory that" etc
Old 08-25-2003, 02:09 AM   #22
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
That's true about a lot of things, including the existance of God. Some believe in God, others do not.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:55 AM   #23
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
Quote: Originally posted by bgivens33
Religion implys that God is the head??  Hmmmm.....  let see what webster has to say about that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religion

Congress does open things up with a prayer yes..... but, I don't find that to be a big deal.  They invite a minister to prayer for their session.... sometimes even a homosexual pastor... how serious could they be about it?  I'm not saying government officials can't be religious, I'm saying when a judge goes against federal law and puts a statue of the 10 commandments up, he is wrong.  The government is now publicly endorsing Christianity, which they shouldn't do.

One thing, you looked up religion. Religion is like a type of custom or tradition that a person can be in and has it's own ways of worshipping a chosen idol...christianity on your dictionary.com gave this as the very first definition-The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.-so yeah...God isn't head is he, you don't need to believe in his son and the holy spirit do ya? And another thing, I agree w/ Julie, the seperation of church and state has really messed up schools, 50 yrs ago there wasn't school killings, there was believers and families that stayed together...today after taking that out people find God as a fake thing along w/ his son and the holy spirit. So yeah it's really important to have church and state b/c he helps so much, who cares if you pray in school, cuz life is supposed to be about praising god and that's just what yer doin. Sry, don't want to argue :noargue: just my two cents worth w/o anyones pity. :P

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 08-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #24
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: And another thing, I agree w/ Julie, the seperation of church and state has really messed up schools, 50 yrs ago there wasn't school killings, there was believers and families that stayed together..

Um, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Taking prayer out of the schools is not the reason there are school killings. I'll agree it has to do with the breakdown of the family, but not a lack of prayer. Plenty of people worship these days, just not in publicly funded buildings.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
I agree Dogstar It has a lot to do with the family of the child. I think there are a lot of families in the world today that shouldn't be allowed to have children Especially abusive people
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-28-2003, 02:21 AM   #26
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Torn Signs
So yeah it's really important to have church and state b/c he helps so much

Ok, but instead of Christianity, let's incorporated Taoism into the schools... or how about Wicca?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:05 PM   #27
myownprison382
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by mel!ssa
<b>Well the official status of evolution is it's a theory. &nbsp;Scientists say it's a theory. &nbsp;It can never be proved, it can be supported but it will always be a theory. &nbsp;According to my wonderful little Biology class, nothing can ever be proved, if you write in your experiment "it proved that" you lose marks, it can only be "it supports the theory that" etc </b>

Yes, this is how science works. You don't claim to know all there is to know about the universe, you just figure out the best explanation possible, and if a better one comes along, you adopt that. Yes, evolution is a "theory". So is Einstein's Relativity, and so was Newton's Gravitation before that. If you are using "theory" as if it's some sort of insult then I don't think you are fully understanding the idea.

Anyway, enough off-topic there, I didn't want to derail, but I can't stand that.

bgivens33 has said everything that needs to be said here. I don't buy that people would be fine with judges and government officials cluttering up offices, schools, and courts with quotes from the Qu'ran, Tao te Jing, or Wiccan whatever, if Christianity didn't get the same sort of representation. But the problem is where do you draw the line? When the religion that wants representation in government is a "cult"? Who determines that? I'm sure there are people who think Roman Catholicism is a cult.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 AM   #28
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
I'm not using 'theory' as an insult, i'm using it to disprove those who say "it is true". Whenever i talk about my beliefs, if i think the other person will think i'm saying "it is right", then i make sure i always say "i believe" etc. Evolution is a theory, Creation is my belief. It goes both ways, i'm not saying "this is right and this is wrong". I use "theory" to be fair.