++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Happy Album Release Day Everybody!

Well, it's finally here, the day we've all been waiting for! October 9, 2007. I just got my copy from Best Buy, containing 2 bonus tracks (The Damage Done and New Way to Live) and am ripping it to my computer as I type. Even though I've had a copy for about a week already, I'm still quite excited. The artwork and booklet are pretty nifty!

Any thoughts from the rest of the peanut gallery?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
RMadd
USER INFO »
Re: Happy Album Release Day Everybody!

And, holy shiat, did anyone check out the website? The intro is badass!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
J.T.
USER INFO »

Woah!

Nice
intro!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
geletmote
USER INFO »

Goodness me its terrible. Im a huge creed fan but this album has taken a diferent road the only good song is watch over you. THink about it guys, just picture in your head stapp and the boys how fukn good and unbeatable was it.CREED ROKS FOR FUKN EVER.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
J-Man
USER INFO »

Well the majority of the people will disagree with you. It's a great album and the reviews from respectable music critics agree. #7 on Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart... ock%20Tracks

and

http://www.billboardpostplay.com/bbb..._id=1003653150

Last edited by J-Man : 10-15-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
RMadd
USER INFO »

From the latter of J-Man's links:

Quote: (Originally Posted by Christa L. Titus) Opening track "Ties That Bind" shows that the incorporation of singer Myles Kennedy as a songwriter and guitarist has pushed Alter Bridge into more aggressive and dynamic territory.

I happen to concur.

I'm still waiting on All Music Guide's review and Rolling Stone's, as well. While both gave ODR a mere 2 stars out of 5, they're probably justified, in that the music on that album didn't depart as much from "Creediness" as most people would've liked. However, according to the album's Wikipedia page, Tune Lab Music and sputnikmusic have both given it nearly perfect ratings (9.5/10 and 4/5, respectively), so that's quite encouraging.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
J.T.
USER INFO »

Yeah. I was wondering why Rolling Stone hadn't reviewed it yet.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by geletmote) Goodness me its terrible. Im a huge creed fan but this album has taken a diferent road the only good song is watch over you. THink about it guys, just picture in your head stapp and the boys how fukn good and unbeatable was it.CREED ROKS FOR FUKN EVER.

But in your head, imagine what they'd be like today. Stapp seems to have traveled down a pretty self-destructive path over the past 5 years. People thought he'd turned the corner when he came out w/ "Relearn Love" for the Passion CD, but then came the whole fiasco w/ 311 and some other displays of slightly inappropriate behavior in public. He hasn't been in the news a whole lot lately, which is good, considering he likes to write songs about redemption and all (sound hypocritical to anyone else?).

The other three have grown in terms of their ability on their instruments. With Creed, it was pretty much all about Stapp. Mark was never featured anywhere near as much with megalomani-Stapp more or less running the show. And he's proven to be quite talented. I also recall having heard a story that Mark tried to teach Stapp some basic power chords, with the guitar tuned as easily as possible, so that the guitar wouldn't drop out altogether during the "solo" section in certain songs in live shows. But after only a couple of shows, Stapp gave up on it. I would think, for the sake of the music, you would want to have at least a rhythm guitar part there at all times. But evidently that interfered with Stapp's self-righteous Jesus-Christ poses. It's pretty sweet that a certain lead singer of a certain other band can play guitar pretty well (and quite adeptly, at that).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, you have to consider the experience of all 4 guys as a whole and individually before yearning for these days to be just like 10 years ago. Brian left Creed b/c he was at odds with Stapp. Stapp self-destructed. Creed broke up. 3 of them moved on and are still making music. The other has made headlines of late for his behavior, and not for his music.

If I had to guess, geletmote, I'd say your favorite album is Human Clay?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

Well said, BearFan. I don't think with all that has happened they could ever recapture the magic.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
titan9
USER INFO »

While I agree that Creed shouldn't get back together, I can't say I agree with everything RMadd said. Mainly, the scathing criticism of Stapp.

Don't get me wrong. I don't approve of how Stapp has acted. But do I criticize him for being a hypocrite? No. Why? Because we're all hypocrites. Every Christian that says they want to change, that says they don't want to make the same mistakes, they're all hypocrites. I fall down all the time. I make huge mistakes over and over again. But I still hope and pray that I can learn from them all and do what is necessary to avoid them. I'm sure Stapp is probably the same way.

Secondly, regarding playing the guitar: what is wrong with not wanting to play backup and/or not being able to do it? Some people have the ability to play and sing at the same time, while others don't. Some people have the ability to play rhythm and strum chords, others don't. Stapp is a terrific lyricist, a good singer and has good charisma on stage. But playing instruments isn't his thing. If Mark wanted a rhythm guitarist so badly, couldn't they have hired a touring one? I mean, seriously, what does this have to do with the breakup and the music itself? Nothing. It's just another criticism against Stapp that isn't really relevant.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to see the guys get back together and here's why: both sides seem to be pleased with what they're getting now. Alter Bridge fans love the music, Stapp fans love his music and those in the middle can enjoy what both AB and Stapp produce. If you happen to enjoy both, you're getting twice the amount of music that you would have gotten from Creed. And, in my eyes, the music now is better than the latter days of Creed.

All this to say would I be angry if Creed got back together? No, as long as it was for the right reasons. More than anything, I'd like to see the guys reconcile and be friends again. I don't care for a musical reunion. But I also don't care for all of the bickering.

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Don't get me wrong. I don't approve of how Stapp has acted. But do I criticize him for being a hypocrite? No. Why? Because we're all hypocrites. Every Christian that says they want to change, that says they don't want to make the same mistakes, they're all hypocrites. I fall down all the time. I make huge mistakes over and over again. But I still hope and pray that I can learn from them all and do what is necessary to avoid them. I'm sure Stapp is probably the same way.

True, we don't know for certain about his private life, but given his repeated failures, and on such a large scale, something tells me he's insincere about his music and/or changing. Everyone's got their own demon; I know I do. I'm doing the math, and all I'm saying is something is fishy.

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Secondly, regarding playing the guitar: what is wrong with not wanting to play backup and/or not being able to do it? Some people have the ability to play and sing at the same time, while others don't. Some people have the ability to play rhythm and strum chords, others don't. Stapp is a terrific lyricist, a good singer and has good charisma on stage. But playing instruments isn't his thing. If Mark wanted a rhythm guitarist so badly, couldn't they have hired a touring one? I mean, seriously, what does this have to do with the breakup and the music itself? Nothing. It's just another criticism against Stapp that isn't really relevant.

I think it's somewhat relevant. If I were a lead singer and was aware enough to notice that, "hey, this song doesn't sound quite like it does on the album during the solo... maybe b/c there's no backing guitar part?" I might try and help to fix it. And if I didn't notice that at all..... yeesh....

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) Lastly, I wouldn't want to see the guys get back together and here's why: both sides seem to be pleased with what they're getting now. Alter Bridge fans love the music, Stapp fans love his music and those in the middle can enjoy what both AB and Stapp produce. If you happen to enjoy both, you're getting twice the amount of music that you would have gotten from Creed. And, in my eyes, the music now is better than the latter days of Creed.

I agree with you, although I can't say I was terribly fond of The Great Divide. I liked a couple of songs, but nothing sounded particularly new or original to me.

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) All this to say would I be angry if Creed got back together? No, as long as it was for the right reasons. More than anything, I'd like to see the guys reconcile and be friends again. I don't care for a musical reunion. But I also don't care for all of the bickering.

I think I would dislike it if they got back together. I was happy when Marcos rejoined P.O.D., but there seems to be a slightly different dynamic in the instance of Creed. They two parties don't seem anywhere near reconciliation, and I highly doubt the music would be as good as My Own Prison. Besides, I enjoy listening to Myles.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by titan9) While I agree that Creed shouldn't get back together, I can't say I agree with everything RMadd said. Mainly, the scathing criticism of Stapp.

Don't get me wrong. I don't approve of how Stapp has acted. But do I criticize him for being a hypocrite? No. Why? Because we're all hypocrites. Every Christian that says they want to change, that says they don't want to make the same mistakes, they're all hypocrites. I fall down all the time. I make huge mistakes over and over again. But I still hope and pray that I can learn from them all and do what is necessary to avoid them. I'm sure Stapp is probably the same way.

Secondly, regarding playing the guitar: what is wrong with not wanting to play backup and/or not being able to do it? Some people have the ability to play and sing at the same time, while others don't. Some people have the ability to play rhythm and strum chords, others don't. Stapp is a terrific lyricist, a good singer and has good charisma on stage. But playing instruments isn't his thing. If Mark wanted a rhythm guitarist so badly, couldn't they have hired a touring one? I mean, seriously, what does this have to do with the breakup and the music itself? Nothing. It's just another criticism against Stapp that isn't really relevant.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to see the guys get back together and here's why: both sides seem to be pleased with what they're getting now. Alter Bridge fans love the music, Stapp fans love his music and those in the middle can enjoy what both AB and Stapp produce. If you happen to enjoy both, you're getting twice the amount of music that you would have gotten from Creed. And, in my eyes, the music now is better than the latter days of Creed.

All this to say would I be angry if Creed got back together? No, as long as it was for the right reasons. More than anything, I'd like to see the guys reconcile and be friends again. I don't care for a musical reunion. But I also don't care for all of the bickering.

Couldn't have said it better, although I personally was not too happy with Stapp's solo album. About half of the songs seem to fall flat on their face, though there were some real winners like Broken, You Will Soar, Sublime, and The Great Divide. Since he was basically using a good bit of the album to bitch about the Creed break-up, I'll forgive him for it. But I expect more from him on the upcoming album (which, judging from his video blog, I have little doubt will happen ).
But about what you said, you are right, we are all not perfect, and who cares if Stapp didn't learn to play a guitar. He has his own talents and uses them well. Also, even if Creed didn't reunite as a band, it would be nice to see them go back to being friends, considering all that they've been through together over the years.

I have a confession to make; I don't own Alter Bridge's first album. In fact, the only song on the album that I've heard is Open Your Eyes. It just doesn't interest me all that much. But what I've heard from the new album, there is a serious chance that I might get it once I get the money. If I like it, then I might buy One Day Remains. I don't dislike AB, but there earlies stuff just sounds like generic rock that I hear on the radio all the time. To a certain extent, so was Creed. But Creed had something special that AB's older stuff just doesn't seem to have. Their newer stuff is much different, but ODR just doesn't appeal to me all that much.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Scorpion King) I have a confession to make; I don't own Alter Bridge's first album. In fact, the only song on the album that I've heard is Open Your Eyes. It just doesn't interest me all that much. But what I've heard from the new album, there is a serious chance that I might get it once I get the money. If I like it, then I might buy One Day Remains. I don't dislike AB, but there earlies stuff just sounds like generic rock that I hear on the radio all the time. To a certain extent, so was Creed. But Creed had something special that AB's older stuff just doesn't seem to have. Their newer stuff is much different, but ODR just doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Interestingly, I think most people on here would agree that One Day Remains is more similar to Creed's music (especially Human Clay and Weathered) than is Blackbird.