++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 12-10-2005, 11:42 PM   #46
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by geletmote) he has the potential to destroy this band with those silly drug *fu*CKe* movements when he plays guitar

gelemote, I'm still waiting for you to explain this statement. As far as I know, NO ONE understands what you mean.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #47
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Yeah, and they do nothing for me,...he just lacks the edge in my own opinion.
Kind of like how The Great Divide does nothing for many people.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #48
Trimontana
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by geletmote) Well if thats the fact then why did u brag about seeing them 9 times, WOULD U LIKE A MEDAL TRIMONTANA? IF its none of my business then dont tell me how many tiems uve seen them, keep it to yourself, I wonder wat else your gonna show me that I havent asked for yet.

That was directed to Ana, not to you cause she said it wasn't her problem. I think you have a big problem called "envy". And i think you stopped growing up as a person since Creed broke up...the one who has a pro is you man. I feel really proud that i saw AB 9 times and that i met them those times cause they are awesome people/musician. What you can talk about? Stapp?Oh no, cause you didnt meet him Like i told you before, stop patronize me and get a life...and start for respecting people thinking your opinion is better than others.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #49
Trimontana
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by IamFilthy) Yeah, and they do nothing for me,...he just lacks the edge in my own opinion.

If Myles wasnt in AB not just me, loads of people that know now Mayfield Four, wish that he would be doing great with MF. Stapp just would like have the talent that Myles has to write songs....TGD is just a repetition of words on every song i dont think theres any talent on it.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #50
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Kind of like how The Great Divide does nothing for many people.

yeah, that...Stapp's voice NEVER did anything for me...his bland and damaged voice was the sole reason why I never liked Creed in the first place...he's merely one of a SLEW of mediocre post-grunge baritone growlers...at his BEST, he was a second-rate Kevin Martin (who was, in turn, a second-rate Eddie Vedder), and NOW, Stapp is even a SHADOW of that MEDIOCRITY...Stapp was OK for that category, but not much else...again, Brett Hestla, the former Creed bassist, has a voice with more range, control, sustain, and versatility than Stapp had...it's pretty sad when you can look for a better singer than the one you have and find him in the SAME BAND...

Myles, on the other hand, by ANY standard, is a great singer, right up there with the vocal giants like Rob Halford, Bruce Dickenson, Robert Plant, and Ian Gillan...if Myles had been around in the classic era 70s or early 80s, he would have STILL been considered a great singer...if Stapp had surfaced in those periods, he would have been booed offstage for the Christ-like antics and barely adequate live vocals...can Stapp do what Myles does on FTR, "Save Me", "Summergirl"? I mean, Stapp can't even hold and vibrate ANY note for that long...problem is that Cobain lowered the bar for vocalists everywhere in 1991, and Stapp (along with a few others) was able to take advantage of being a virtually untrained mediocre baritone and, thanks to some pretty good lyrics and freakish Billy Ray Cyrus-redneck charisma, got LUCKY and scored some success...I mean, this is the same musical environment that produced the multi-platinum voice of Fred Durst, guys, and, in terms of personality, there is little difference between Durst and Stapp, other than the fact that Durst doesn't pretend that he's NOT a pompous rock star...I mean, even for a rock baritone, Stapp is painfully average...if you REALLY want to hear what a rock baritone can do, check out Noah Hunt of the Kenny Wayne Shephard band and hear some low notes that Stapp has NEVER hit...

Myles has arrived...it's time for everyone to raise their standards appropriately...

Last edited by evyllsummer : 12-11-2005 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #51
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Well, I was/still am a big fan of Creed. I liked his voice in the early Creed years. By the time the Weathered tour was winding down, though, his voice was shot. I agree that Cobain lowered the bar for vocals, but I still very much enjoyed MOP and HC and still do. Besides, what drew me to Creed was Tremonti more than Stapp. Still, Stapp is a really good frontman live, at least from my eyes. I enjoyed every show I went to on the Weathered tour.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #52
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Well, I was/still am a big fan of Creed. I liked his voice in the early Creed years. By the time the Weathered tour was winding down, though, his voice was shot. I agree that Cobain lowered the bar for vocals, but I still very much enjoyed MOP and HC and still do. Besides, what drew me to Creed was Tremonti more than Stapp. Still, Stapp is a really good frontman live, at least from my eyes. I enjoyed every show I went to on the Weathered tour.

well, that is one thing that I will never fail to acknowledge Stapp for...I don't know about his stage show, but his charisma tells me that it was probably pretty good...but, here's my story on vocals...

I grew up in the 70s, when rock and roll was really taking off...the 70s had some of the best vocalists that would ever exist in rock and roll...Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Ronnie James Dio, Roger Daltrey, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, and so forth...(and, in this class of singers, you have BARITONES like Coverdale who could hit a LOT of notes in the tenor range)...all of them singers with range, versatility and power...the 80s came along, and they would not be lacking in talented vocalists either, with Prince, Steve Perry, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate (another baritone that can hit higher notes than most rock tenors), Sebastian Bach, Kelly Hansen, and so forth...problem, though, was this: towards the end of the 80s, despite having fantastic ranges and versatility, the lyrics really started to suck...

this was what the next generation of singers would bring back to the scene, and those guys would be Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, Billy Corgan, and Phil Anselmo...these guys started to come onto the scene in the late 80s, and, by 1992, all of these guys became the center of attention...now, guys like Staley and Vedder weren't necessarily known for their range or sustain (although both in terms of power and versatility, were comparable to someone like Roger Daltrey), but they were great lyricists...if you wanted to hear the vocalists with the abilities of someone like Tate or Plant, you would have to go to the prog rock arena...for about 6 years, though, the vocalists that came on the scene would be derivative of Vedder, Staley, Weiland (all with about the same range), Cobain (a little less range than the previous three), and Anselmo (which you would hear in the screamo genre)...guys like Rossdale, Kevin Martin, Stapp, Scallions, and so forth were born of this school...(no one seemed to want to try what Chris Cornell was doing, but, then, he was EXCEPTIONAL, as he was a baritone like the rest of that generation, but he was trained to hit tenor notes as well)...

Note: because the "average" vocalist of that period would be covering roughly the same ground vocally speaking, and that ground was immensely popular, possibly the greatest singer EVER, Jeff Buckley, was never fully appreciated in his time (except, of course, by his peers)...

[and, an interesting thing to think about if anyone wants to use the argument that record sales equaling talent: Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish album went platinum in a week's time, but Jeff Buckley's Grace STILL isn't platinum, and it has been out for eleven years...]

Towards the end of the 90s, we started to get some vocalists that would actually start to explore and wander past the boundaries set by the Vedder/Staley/Weiland crew...singers like Jimmy Gnecco, Ian Thornley, Brett Hestla, and, yes, Myles Kennedy...because they didn't sound like the cookie-cutter neo-grunge school, however, they didn't enjoy mainstream success...

Stapp was a very uninteresting vocalist of an uninteresting period...Myles, on the other hand, is heralding the return of the GREAT SINGER...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #53
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I grew up in the 70s as well and am quite familiar with all of what you have recounted above. I really loved the early 90s and am quite a fan of AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. I agree that Buckley was not appreciated during his time, which is a shame, because that man could flat-out sing and write. And while I think Myles is a really good singer, I don't think he can touch Cornell in his prime or Buckley or Plant. That said, I enjoy baritones and tenors alike.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #54
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) well, that is one thing that I will never fail to acknowledge Stapp for...I don't know about his stage show, but his charisma tells me that it was probably pretty good...but, here's my story on vocals...

I grew up in the 70s, when rock and roll was really taking off...the 70s had some of the best vocalists that would ever exist in rock and roll...Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Ronnie James Dio, Roger Daltrey, David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes, and so forth...(and, in this class of singers, you have BARITONES like Coverdale who could hit a LOT of notes in the tenor range)...all of them singers with range, versatility and power...the 80s came along, and they would not be lacking in talented vocalists either, with Prince, Steve Perry, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate (another baritone that can hit higher notes than most rock tenors), Sebastian Bach, Kelly Hansen, and so forth...problem, though, was this: towards the end of the 80s, despite having fantastic ranges and versatility, the lyrics really started to suck...

this was what the next generation of singers would bring back to the scene, and those guys would be Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain, Eddie Vedder, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, Billy Corgan, and Phil Anselmo...these guys started to come onto the scene in the late 80s, and, by 1992, all of these guys became the center of attention...now, guys like Staley and Vedder weren't necessarily known for their range or sustain (although both in terms of power and versatility, were comparable to someone like Roger Daltrey), but they were great lyricists...if you wanted to hear the vocalists with the abilities of someone like Tate or Plant, you would have to go to the prog rock arena...for about 6 years, though, the vocalists that came on the scene would be derivative of Vedder, Staley, Weiland (all with about the same range), Cobain (a little less range than the previous three), and Anselmo (which you would hear in the screamo genre)...guys like Rossdale, Kevin Martin, Stapp, Scallions, and so forth were born of this school...(no one seemed to want to try what Chris Cornell was doing, but, then, he was EXCEPTIONAL, as he was a baritone like the rest of that generation, but he was trained to hit tenor notes as well)...

Note: because the "average" vocalist of that period would be covering roughly the same ground vocally speaking, and that ground was immensely popular, possibly the greatest singer EVER, Jeff Buckley, was never fully appreciated in his time (except, of course, by his peers)...

[and, an interesting thing to think about if anyone wants to use the argument that record sales equaling talent: Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish album went platinum in a week's time, but Jeff Buckley's Grace STILL isn't platinum, and it has been out for eleven years...]

Towards the end of the 90s, we started to get some vocalists that would actually start to explore and wander past the boundaries set by the Vedder/Staley/Weiland crew...singers like Jimmy Gnecco, Ian Thornley, Brett Hestla, and, yes, Myles Kennedy...because they didn't sound like the cookie-cutter neo-grunge school, however, they didn't enjoy mainstream success...

Stapp was a very uninteresting vocalist of an uninteresting period...Myles, on the other hand, is heralding the return of the GREAT SINGER...

Whats your opinion on Maynard ?
Some days my skin just isn’t so thick
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 AM   #55
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Heh, I was just about to ask that, Muad'Dib!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #56
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I grew up in the 70s as well and am quite familiar with all of what you have recounted above. I really loved the early 90s and am quite a fan of AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. I agree that Buckley was not appreciated during his time, which is a shame, because that man could flat-out sing and write. And while I think Myles is a really good singer, I don't think he can touch Cornell in his prime or Buckley or Plant. That said, I enjoy baritones and tenors alike.

well, again, we'll just have to part company, because there isn't a note that Plant has ever hit that Myles couldn't hit (or HASN'T hit)...Buckley, well, I'm not sure ANYONE could be as good as Buckley, but Myles is the closest thing currently on the scene in terms of range, versatility, sustain, and control...Cornell in his prime would be an interesting argument, but CURRENT Cornell can't touch Myles...

and I like GOOD baritones, like Noah Hunt of the Kenny Wayne Shephard band...Stapp doesn't qualify for me...
Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 AM   #57
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Muad'Dib) Whats your opinion on Maynard ?

great singer...I would categorize him that crew of underappreciated singers like Thornley and Myles...his voice is very versatile, and he has a LOT of sustain when he wants it...I can't remember the song right off the top of my head, but there was one where he held out a growling scream...not that high, but, fuck, he held it for 25-30 seconds...their music is quite good as well...Danny Carey is one of Flip's top five drummers ever...
Old 12-11-2005, 02:12 AM   #58
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by evyllsummer) well, again, we'll just have to part company, because there isn't a note that Plant has ever hit that Myles couldn't hit (or HASN'T hit)...Buckley, well, I'm not sure ANYONE could be as good as Buckley, but Myles is the closest thing currently on the scene in terms of range, versatility, sustain, and control...Cornell in his prime would be an interesting argument, but CURRENT Cornell can't touch Myles...
To me, Plant hit those notes with greater ease than Myles has. He just sounds fuller at the higher range than Myles does. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well.

That's why I said Cornell in his prime. Myles is definitely better than current Cornell as far as range goes.

Quote: and I like GOOD baritones, like Noah Hunt of the Kenny Wayne Shephard band...Stapp doesn't qualify for me...
I have to listen to more Kenny Wayne Shephard. I have one CD and it's really good. He's a kick-ass guitarist.

And right on about Maynard and Carey. I think they are both the shit.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 AM   #59
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) To me, Plant hit those notes with greater ease than Myles has. He just sounds fuller at the higher range than Myles does. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well.

well, all I'm saying is that Plant has NEVER hit, held, and vibrated a high note for as long as Myles does on "Save Me", FTR, or "Summergirl"...and, if you listen to Plant live (and I'm talking PRIME Plant live, as on the LZ dvd) you'll see that he and Myles handle their range about the same way...the "ease" that you're talking about would be evinced by vibrato, and Myles does more vibrato on the higher notes than Plant does...
Old 12-11-2005, 02:22 AM   #60
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
and, yeah, KWS is a hell of a guitarist...unfortunately, NOT so much as a singer...he made the mistake of trying lead vocals for a lot of the songs on his new one, and the lack of response he got from it led to him not doing those songs live and sticking to the ones that Noah sings on...