++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 08-22-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Separation of Church and State

Am I the only one who thinks separation of church and state is a load of BS that has, in recent months, been blown way out of proportion? First last year with the Pledge of Allegiance (something that has been said in schools for hundreds of years may I remind you) being judged "unconstitutional" because of the word "God" in it, now with a statue that has the 10 commandments on it is in threat of being removed from it's location because of it, and everything in between.

If you don't want to see it, don't look at it.

I thought the seperation of church and state was meant to help freedom of religion, but they completely contradict each other. We're allowed to worship however and wherever we want, unless it's in a public area or when one single person is around that may have a different point of view.

The controversy over the separation of church and state is really pissing me off. Just because there are some people that don't agree with aspects of either parts of religions, certain religions, or religion as a whole, why do they get to take away our freedoms?

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 08-22-2003, 12:55 AM   #2
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
It makes me mad to Colin If it wasn't for God none of us or this world in fact would even be in existance I feel that if people don't want to see things like God written in something then don't look at it! There is a great big giant cross outside of Effingham Illinois that people are complaining about to And people wonder why there are school shootings now,,,its basically because they are taking God out of the schools If you dissagree then thats fine. This is my opinion.
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-22-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
bgivens33
USER INFO »
First off, let me clear some things up.

The "God" portion in the pledge of allegiance was ruled unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit court of appeals. They are the most overturned court in the country. If the case makes it to the supreme cout, it will get overturned. And they only have juristiction in a certain area of the country. Secondly, the phrase "under God" has only been recited in the pledge for ~50 years. Now, you said.....

We're allowed to worship however and wherever we want, unless it's in a public area or when one single person is around that may have a different point of view.

That is absolutely incorrect. You can pray or do whatever in public. That has nothing to do with separation of church and state. The problem lies when the government sponsors a certain religion. That is what happened with the 10 commandments. A government official, a judge to be exact, put a statue in a government building with the 10 commandments. That is wrong. That is NOT separation of church and state. The problem is, you are blinded by the fact that you are a Christian. If that judge had posted a popular verse out of the Koran or the 9 satanic statements, you WOULD be singing a different tune. Separation of Church and state is not only an excellent thing, it is a necessary thing.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:16 AM   #4
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
i don't really know much about this topic, but can i just suggest that maybe people are taking religion out of stuff because they are afraid to admit God's existance?

Although i have to admit, if there was a big giant cross in my street i certainly wouldn't want to look at it.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by bgivens33
That is what happened with the 10 commandments.  A government official, a judge to be exact, put a statue in a government building with the 10 commandments.  That is wrong.  That is NOT separation of church and state.  The problem is, you are blinded by the fact that you are a Christian.  If that judge had posted a popular verse out of the Koran or the 9 satanic statements, you WOULD be singing a different tune.  Separation of Church and state is not only an excellent thing, it is a necessary thing.

I'd have no problem if they put up a statue with Koran writings on it. Just because I'm a Christian, doesn't mean I'm against other religions. I admit, of course, it plays a role in what I think and do, yet it is not the only factor. Most of what I think is from personal opinion and not was church as bestowed upon me.

Satanic statues are a different story because if you worship Satan, you are probably in a cult. Religion implys God as the head.

Did you know that high ranking government officials in Washington DC begin their meetings with prayer? How is that separation of church and state? They change the law to limit us, but keep things intact for them.

H-D

Old 08-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
JulieCitySlicker
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by mel!ssa
i don't really know much about this topic, but can i just suggest that maybe people are taking religion out of stuff because they are afraid to admit God's existance?

Although i have to admit, if there was a big giant cross in my street i certainly wouldn't want to look at it.

The cross is actually on the highway out in the middle of nowhere Melissa I do agree with your point that they are trying to take God out of everything because they do not want to admit He exists That is the reason evolution came up in my opinion
alone
All I know
I still got mountains to climb
on my own

Enough To Let Me Go-Switchfoot
Old 08-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Religion implys that God is the head?? Hmmmm..... let see what webster has to say about that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religion

Congress does open things up with a prayer yes..... but, I don't find that to be a big deal. They invite a minister to prayer for their session.... sometimes even a homosexual pastor... how serious could they be about it? I'm not saying government officials can't be religious, I'm saying when a judge goes against federal law and puts a statue of the 10 commandments up, he is wrong. The government is now publicly endorsing Christianity, which they shouldn't do.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #8
ZION1010
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by bgivens33
Religion implys that God is the head??  Hmmmm.....  let see what webster has to say about that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religion

Congress does open things up with a prayer yes..... but, I don't find that to be a big deal.  They invite a minister to prayer for their session.... sometimes even a homosexual pastor... how serious could they be about it?  I'm not saying government officials can't be religious, I'm saying when a judge goes against federal law and puts a statue of the 10 commandments up, he is wrong.  The government is now publicly endorsing Christianity, which they shouldn't do.
I Agree With You Besides God And The Goverment Just Dont Mix Not The Christ I Serve Anyway God bless You
Old 08-23-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
HigherGirl
USER INFO »
HigherDesire...........
I agree with you 110%!!!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #10
ZION1010
USER INFO »
Thanks God Bless
Old 08-23-2003, 10:35 PM   #11
Lechium
USER INFO »
Re: Separation of Church and State

Quote: Originally posted by Higher_Desire
<b>First last year with the Pledge of Allegiance (something that has been said in schools for hundreds of years may I remind you) being judged "unconstitutional" because of the word "God" in it, now with a statue that has the 10 commandments on it is in threat of being removed from it's location because of it, and everything in between.</b>

Question, if Pledge of Allegiance mentioned Bhudda, or Allah, whould how would you feel about being forced to say it?

Also ten commandments arebasically rules. Now courhouse must go only by civil/criminal rules, not by ones from any religious book. That's all there is to it.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Right on, bgivens!
Old 08-24-2003, 03:32 AM   #13
mel!ssa
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by JulieLovesCreed
I do agree with your point that they are trying to take God out of everything because they do not want to admit He exists That is the reason evolution came up in my opinion

Exactly!
Old 08-24-2003, 06:52 PM   #14
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Re: Re: Separation of Church and State

Quote: Originally posted by Lechium
Question, if Pledge of Allegiance mentioned Bhudda, or Allah, whould how would you feel about being forced to say it?

Also ten commandments arebasically rules. Now courhouse must go only by civil/criminal rules, not by ones from any religious book. That's all there is to it.

God is mentioned in the Pledge because this country was founded by Christian persons and based on Christian beliefs. Over the years, that ideal has changed.

Speaking of "change," when are we going to get new money? The way I figure, American money will be judged as Un-constitutional becuase it says "In God We Trust" on it. Or, as Creed says in "In America," "Only in America, we stamp our god, In God We Trust." People who don't even believe in God or in Allah, Buddha, or any other supreme being, seem to have no trouble spending our money.

I'll be damned if I let God be taken out of the country, but you can't remove parts and expect the rest to not be a problem.

H-D

PS- We are not "forced" to say God in the Pledge. No one is "forced" to say anything. The're was and is no law that says the Pledge MUST be said.

Old 08-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #15
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote:
Melissa I do agree with your point that they are trying to take God out of everything because they do not want to admit He exists.

I disagree. I believe the separation of church and state is necessary, because it allows for ALL religions to exist. Christianity is not the ONLY religion. If government got involved in religion (which it does in many countries and look at the civil wars fought in the name of religion), then it would most likely do its best to shove its beliefs down the throats of those who might worship differently, or worse, persecute those who don't practice as they do. It is a safeguard to prevent people from having to practice their religions in secret. Besides, I don't want MY tax dollars paying for something I may not necessarily believe in.