++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 09-23-2002, 05:59 PM   #1
jango
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Movie Talk: Action/Adventure

Part 2 of a 6 part series chronicling the CreedFeed community's favorite movies of all time, this time, Action and Adventure.

Note: Some of the following might be considered dramas or science fiction/fantasy, but because of their action content, are included in this category. In accordance, there are SO many good movies in this category, that really, it all boils down to your opinion. Personally, I don't find senseless action movies (Seagal, Willis, Van Damme, some Arnold, etc.) appealing. Thus many movies in my list aren't entirely conventional, but all fit. Personally, I enjoy war movies, but limited myself to only a few to provide a wide array of movies.

10. The Bridge on the River Kwai
This movie takes an interesting approach at war, with both anti and supportive sentiments expressed. The action here is not the best of all time, but the psychological battle waged in the minds of the characters strongly supports the actual action.

9. The Matrix
Originally, I despised this movie. However, with each viewing, this movie continues to grow on me. Aside from the amazing bullet time innovations of this movie, the action scenes are placed well in the storyline and support the film as a whole. This movie really shot down the "Whoa" persona for Keanu Reeves as well.

8. Jurassic Park
The movie that should not have had a sequel... at all. Some of the greatest cinematic scenes in an action movie can be seen here. The dinosaurs are frightening, the chase scenes and introductions are well crafted and edited and the sound will blow your hat off (providing the right system )

7. Blade Runner
So many movie-goers nowadays are satisfied with a movie that only requires one viewing on a Saturday night. Movies like these require that we actually dumbdown our intellect in order to enjoy the movie for its action. Blade Runner does not follow this pattern. You actually have to think here, and this movie only gets better with repeated viewings.

6. Terminator II: Judgement Day
Alright, the original was probably better as far as storyline/acting go, but for the sake of action, this movie excels. There aren't too many action scenes as nicely crafted as those in T2. With T3 on the way, one only hopes that they do not construct another brainless action movie, but one that nicely supports the sequel.

5. Apocalypse Now
This is Vietnam. Crafted from one of my favorite novels of all time, this movie really holds up. Coppola's directing is unparalleled, the cinematography brilliant. The action that takes place has a tendency to stay with you forever; images burned on your mind.

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
Yet another Harrison Ford flick that just might be the greatest adventure film of all time. Okay, maybe not to you, but this film is one of my personal favorites. Believe it or not, Tom Selleck was originally cast as the fedora wearing archaeologist/professor, but do to P.I., Ford took the spot, and we're forever grateful.

3. Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
In theory, this episode covers 'em all. You didn't think I'd make a list like this without a Star Wars movie, did you? Perhaps the greatest "space" movie ever made, Star Wars was a huge success in 1977, spawning a global empire the likes of which have never and will never be seen again.

2. Pulp Fiction
You cannot watch this movie and not feel hip. Quentin Tarantino's finest work (closely trailed by the brilliant masterpiece Reservoir Dogs) brought the name "John Travolta" back on the map. Gratuitous violence? Maybe, but it's still fun to watch. A contemporary classic. Plus, who doesn't love a bible-quoting Sam Jackson with a gun?

1. Saving Private Ryan
One of, if not, the best, war movies of all time. Tom Hanks provides an incredibly inspiring performance coupled with the gritty realism of the fierce battles taking place in Europe. Definitely one of the greatest movies ever. One of my personal favorites.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Didn't really fit)
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Fight Club
  • Braveheart
  • Ben-Hur
  • Platoon
  • Gladiator
  • The French Connection
  • North by Northwest
"Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."
Old 09-23-2002, 06:01 PM   #2
hayley
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
ok, well i didn't read all of that, becauze it's just too much, but i like, all the Terminators. I'LL BE BACK
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006
Old 09-23-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
#10 The Perfect Storm
The FX were the real star of the movie, but they were some pretty cool FX.

#9. Jaws
The original should have stood alone. It was great, and didn't deserve a horrible sequel (or 4). Especially one in 3-D.

#8. French Connection
Gene Hackman, need I say more? Incredible actor.

#7. Independence Day
Again, great special effects, okay story, but ya gotta love Jeff Goldblum.

#6. Die Hard
Do I have to keep repeating myself? I enjoyed the action and humor of this movie. Didn't need to see it rehashed 2 or 3 more times.

#5. The Rock
Cage and Connery were absolutely incredible in this movie. The car chase scene through San Francisco was one of the best I've ever seen. (and I've never been big into car chases).

#4. Braveheart
Mel Gibson in a kilt. True story. Sad story. Lots of death. Cool flick.

#3. Jurassic Park
Ditto on the sequels. Love the sneezing dino.

#2. The Empire Strikes Back
Best of the bunch. Can't say anymore than has already been said.

#1. Saving Private Ryan
Gotta agree with Jango, this was one of the greatest action movies of all time. Tom Hanks was genius.

Honorable Mentions:
The Longest Day
The Sands of Iwo Jima
The Seven-Ups
True Lies (also a good comedy thanks to Tom Arnold)
The Mummy

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:11 AM   #4
Altair
USER INFO »
Jango, I liked your mention of T2, Judgment Day.

However, IMHO, the original Terminator blows it away. That was one killer movie. The plot was fresh. The acting was awesome, and the suspense was nonstop.

It might be my favorite movie of all time.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-24-2002, 02:34 PM   #5
allison
USER INFO »
Okay, after much digging through the cobwebs of my brain, here's my list. I hope I am not forgetting something.

10. TITANIC - If for no other reason, the special effects were amazing, especially on a movie theatre screen. I also rather liked the romantic storyline and the devastatingly sad but hopeful ending.

9. ALIVE - A rare look at how far the human will to survive will take us. This film forces the audience to ask themselves a very tough question. Eww.

8. THE SAINT - Demonstrates the incredible acting talent of Val Kilmer while providing an ceaselessly entertaining storyline full of unexpected twists and turns.

7. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE - A classic of adventure films. Another movie that shows just how strong the human survival instinct is. Great performances by some of the best: Gene Hackman, Shelley Winters, Leslie Nielsen, Ernest Borgnine.

6. THE USUAL SUSPECTS - Half the fun of this film is the debate it provokes! A bizarrely twisted film that leaves you saying, "WTF?". Kevin Spacey is genius.

5. DELIVERANCE - Very disturbing, but thoroughly engrossing. An eerie classic.

4. THE GOONIES- The comedic adventure film that all subsequent films of this genre strive to be like. Wonderful cast and extremely likeable characters (especially Sloth).

3. GLORY - An instant classic-one of the very best films about the civil war out there. Pays painstaking attention to historic detail. Broderick and Washington shine.

2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC - Can you tell I like classics? The one that started it all for Indiana Jones. So much fun to wonder how in the world he will get out of fix after fix.

1. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - Maybe more of a drama, but does have some action/adventure qualities. This film is in my top 3 films of all time. Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins are excellent. This is a long movie, but so gripping that it seems short. At last a movie that is harrowing and heartbreaking, but then ends up being satisfying and redeeming, without being unrealistic or sappy. Utter Perfection.

Thanks for reading!

No, Marcos, thank YOU!
Old 09-24-2002, 09:26 PM   #6
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Oh, the Poseidon Adventure. That was excellent. I cried when Hackman went down.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:39 PM   #7
hayley
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Altair
Jango, I liked your mention of T2, Judgment Day.  

However, IMHO, the original Terminator blows it away.  That was one killer movie.  The plot was fresh.  The acting was awesome, and the suspense was nonstop.

It might be my favorite movie of all time.

omg! it's one of my fav's two!!!! wicked movie....packed FULL of action.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:01 PM   #8
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
It was a good one. I liked the original much better than the sequels. I also liked Linda Hamilton's character before she got buff. She was more believable then.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:05 PM   #9
Altair
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by TeriB19
It was a good one. I liked the original much better than the sequels. I also liked Linda Hamilton's character before she got buff. She was more believable then.

Yeah, I agree. My favorite character, however, was Reese. I don't know the actor's name, but his portrayal was spellbinding, especially the scene in the police department when he's being interrogated. He goes ballistic, trying to explain that the terminator won't quit, won't be negotiated with, won't stop until she's dead! Wow, that was gripping.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-24-2002, 10:07 PM   #10
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Yeah, I agree.  My favorite character, however, was Reese.  I don't know the actor's name, but his portrayal was spellbinding, especially the scene in the police department when he's being interrogated.  He goes ballistic, trying to explain that the terminator won't quit, won't be negotiated with, won't stop until she's dead!  Wow, that was gripping.
Michael Biehn. He was awesome. I loved his character. And that was a great scene.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:21 PM   #11
Altair
USER INFO »
In regards to T2, I was kinda bummed that Arnold played a good terminator in that one and not the bad guy. IMHO, he should have played both parts, the liquid metal dude and the bodyguard.

—The Bhagavad Gita
Old 09-24-2002, 10:30 PM   #12
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
i loved the rock and saving private ryan, i think that saving pribate ryan has one of the most powerfull openings ive seen. the matrix is one of the few that started a trend of action scenes.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:38 PM   #13
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
In regards to T2, I was kinda bummed that Arnold played a good terminator in that one and not the bad guy.  IMHO, he should have played both parts, the liquid metal dude and the bodyguard.
Any time I see Robert Patrick now I think of him with a giant liquid hole in the middle of his body. You never saw him do THAT on the X files.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:40 PM   #14
hayley
USER INFO »
ewww man that guy scared me! i've never seen anybody run that fast before! ha ha

Old 09-25-2002, 09:07 AM   #15
Siana
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Siana Send a message via Skype to Siana
10.T2
9.Raiders of the lost ark