++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 05-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
scrit
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Finally Out Of Exile

Alright, I know alot of people on this board are fans of Audioslave, so heres the thread to discuss the new CD. I like it alot, although I prefer their first. The new one is alot slower, and less edgy sounding I think. They have a much different sound now. Some of the standouts IMO are the worm, heavens dead, and Man or Animal.

-U2
Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
Ed Wood
USER INFO »
Fantastic album. I love their debut, but this is better as a whole. It flows more nicely and was mixed brilliantly, highlighting each band member's talents. Not a bad song in the bunch and "Doesn't Remind Me" and "Heaven's Dead" are 2 of the best songs any of these guys have ever done, along with others.

I saw them last week in Hollywood and they did not disappoint (even tho they cancelled the San Diego concert that I had tickets to while on vacation).

I am so glad the album rocks and I can't wait to see them live again.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
RMadd
USER INFO »
bought it earlier this afternoon, haven't had much of a chance to listen to it tho

Old 05-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
I'm not really a fan of the production and mixing to be honest. The prouduction is quite muddy and the mixing leaves Cornell fighting for the listerner's attention with the rest of the band unlike the first album. On the positive side the songwriting is much better (because Cornell obviously wrote most of the songs) and his voice is sounding better. Also this is Wilk's best drumming since his RATM days. They now sound like a true band rather than a "supergroup" put together merely for marketing purposes.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.
Alright, now it’s time for us to let you go.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
scrit
USER INFO »
To me it sounds Alot more like Euphoria Morning then it sounds like their first release, with the exeptions of a couple songs. While listeneing to songs like dandelion, its hard to believe these were the same people who wrote heavy songs like cochise. I like the new style alot, but it is different.

-U2
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
Yeah I quite like it except for 2 or 3 songs. Dont understand why Tom has to shove a solo in nearly every song. Interrupts the flow of some of the better songs like Doesnt Remind Me and Man Or Animal. The solo on the latter I just hate!
Some days my skin just isn’t so thick
Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Muad'Dib) Yeah I quite like it except for 2 or 3 songs. Dont understand why Tom has to shove a solo in nearly every song. Interrupts the flow of some of the better songs like Doesnt Remind Me and Man Or Animal. The solo on the latter I just hate!

i agree, the dj style effects simply don't work on some of the songs........
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
scrit
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Muad'Dib) Yeah I quite like it except for 2 or 3 songs. Dont understand why Tom has to shove a solo in nearly every song. Interrupts the flow of some of the better songs like Doesnt Remind Me and Man Or Animal. The solo on the latter I just hate!

I also agree, I think that the solos do get tiresome after awhile. There is one in just about every song, and alot of them are earpiercingly high.

-U2
Old 05-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by Muad'Dib) Yeah I quite like it except for 2 or 3 songs.

Same here. I got it today, and I've only given it one spin so my opinions could change, but I could do without Be Yourself, Dandelion, Doesn't Remind Me...I don't know...They just didn't do much for me, although Doesn't Remind Me had a Pearl Jam feel to it, and I love PJ, so go figure, LOL. I heard some SG, TotD and some Euphoria Morning influence as well. I think Chris sounded great on the vocals, but yeah, whoever complained about the mixing, I agree, especially on the first track. It was downright annoying, and I like song, but the vocals' being drowned out kept distracting me . I think they didn't take too many chances, though, and I guess I was expecting something harder. Not that I don't like the music, but it just didn't grab me the way the first CD did. I think it may be one that grows on me, though. I REALLY loved #1 Zero. Right now, that would be my favorite, and I thought Yesterday to Tomorrow was pretty cool, too.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
aussiecreeder
USER INFO »
I think the softer tracks like Dandelion and Be Yourself are generally the stronger tracks. I think going in this direction was taking a bit of a chance, they could have kept making Cochise versions 1,2 and 3 and still went platnium. Good album without being great, but its impossible for them to live up the crazy expectations of the public.
Didn’t have a life.
Didn’t have a life.
But surely saved one.

Tool
Wings for Marie
Old 05-26-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) I think the softer tracks like Dandelion and Be Yourself are generally the stronger tracks. I think going in this direction was taking a bit of a chance, they could have kept making Cochise versions 1,2 and 3 and still went platnium. Good album without being great, but its impossible for them to live up the crazy expectations of the public.
I think those are the two most radio-friendly songs of the bunch, so that's why I thought they really didn't take big chances. I didn't want them to do Cochise 1, 2 and 3 or whatever, but I don't know, I don't find them the strongest at all. I thought musically, the best ones were #1 Zero, The Worm, Man or Animal and Yesterday to Tomorrow, but again, I've only given it one listen so far.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
scrit
USER INFO »
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) I think the softer tracks like Dandelion and Be Yourself are generally the stronger tracks. I think going in this direction was taking a bit of a chance, they could have kept making Cochise versions 1,2 and 3 and still went platnium. Good album without being great, but its impossible for them to live up the crazy expectations of the public.
I agree with you completely. After listening to it a few more times, the songs that I am enjoying most are the slower ones like dandelion and heavens dead. The expectations WERE crazy with this album, its almost like no matter what they could have made it wouldnt live up to the pre-release hype

-U2
Old 05-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #13
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
That's very true about the expectations. They were really insane. I remember reading a recent interview with Cornell and he said he'd rather do an album a year, rather than waiting a few years to put out a be-all end-all epic type thing. He said he remembers getting Stones albums he didn't like and that was OK because there'd be another one to look forward to and hopefully like better. He said the pressure to put out the next Superunknown with SG was really heavy.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:16 AM   #14
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
I love Doesnt Remind Me, easily my favourite song, lyrics are great! The solo kind of ruins it though, doesnt fit in at all.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #15
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
After a few more listens, im starting to enjoy that solo a bit more heh, I was reading that it might be next single which would be great. Drown Me Slowly or Man Or Animal Id love to be the next single though, just for fact that they are a bit heavier.