++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Chat-O-Rama
Today's Posts «

Old 12-19-2002, 03:51 AM   #1
Aimee
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Twenty-Somethings...

This post is about the twenty-somethings of america. I would love to hear what the people on the board think of Americans in this age range. In respect to the trends that seem inevitable to the term, "Slacker." What do you think of the next generation? I await your opinions keeping in mind that generalizations cannot be avoided.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
JenRN
USER INFO »
Well..... I just left the 20 somethings category, and my generation has been known for "Generation X" for soooo long. I do think that our generation is a whole lot different than many before and not always for the best either. As a nurse I see patients fron the age ranges of 18-100, and let me tell you patients from the ages of 18-35 are usually the worst, not all the time BUT..... they expect more quicker and NEVER thank you. The younger half of that number, the teens and young 20's seem to want everything yesterday!!!!! It is rare that you see a young person working 2 jobs to get a stereo they want or a new car. I was raised with "tough love" my parents really wanted me to know the value of $$$ soooo.... if I wanted that new bike or new outfit, guess what ? My ass was in the strawberry fields picking berries getting paid 25cents a quart until I had enough money for it! Now of course they helpoed out, BUT my mom and dad wanted me to now take things for grantid which a lot of youth do today. NOW change of pace........ There are soo many good young adults out there as well, I work a lot with the youth and if they are guided in the right way and RAISED correctly they have so much more potential and respect than other young people. I think that is why Scott's foundation WAWO is so important in that way, to help support there relationship with their parents and guardians, it makes a world of difference. FINALLY I believe the world has changed their blocked views of GEN X after 9-11!!!!!! Those firemen who ran in that building like that and saved so many lives were 90% guys my age, That I do believe is going to be the turn around for my generation and how it is viewed! Look at how many kids now view the cops and firemen as thier HERO'S!!!! Hey they sure are mine too! I believe we can change the ways people view my generation by continuing to keep up the work those firemen started on 9-11, THAT made me become a volunteer and Red Cross and other organizations, it was a life changing experience for me. Finally I view the WW2 era as the "greatest generation" because let me tell you, I love elderly people and I have learned SOOOOOO much from them, they have so much respect for each other and life in general, and they are grateful for everything they have, even the shirt on their backs! They are what this country was known by and they are dying so quickly, I love nothing better than to sit and talk to those people and learn about how "things were" it really makes you value what you have now! And FINALLY I will end by saying ....... Our generation can also be known as the greatest generation if we stick together and give our time to others and continue to give that unconditional love and spirit those people on 9-11 did, from Todd Beamer all the way to the firemen, The choice is up to us to do it!!!!!!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 12-19-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
Read JDM
USER INFO »
I'm 24 and I'm disappointed with a lot of people my age but it goes beyond that. I'm just turned off by society in general. I think too many people bow at the altar of the almighty dollar, and yet, when it comes down to it, I think the same people find ways to limit the free enterprise and inalienable rights of everyone else. I think too many people have no respect for anyone other than themselves, with unrealistic world perspectives and no historical perspectives at all. I also think too many people believe wrong is right and right is wrong, but they believe this way for rebellious, reactionary reasons, rather than because it's true. Everything nowadays is just whatever it is, blah, blah, blah, give me this, I want that, blah, blah, blah, I'll sue McDonalds because it made me fat, so screw you if you're in my way, etc., etc., and so on. I don't think societies are ever perfect, really, but I think America is poised for a cultural revolution. It's been 40 years since the last and we're long overdue. I'm afraid it might be bloody if it waits too long, but hey, I'm just one guy, what am I supposed to do?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
JenRN
USER INFO »
READ... Yeah I know what you mean, the business with people suing you is out of control!!!!! I have to carry so much malpractice insurance it is ridiculous! I have literally seen people unhook the bottom of the hospital bed and purposely drop it on their leg, to try and get money from the hospital, the world definately has some mean selfish idiots out there!!! But I try to believe for every mean one, there has to be a nice one?

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 12-19-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Wow Wee, I guess my girl Brandy is an exception den...:embarass: She is 24 graduating from nursing in March.. put herself through nursing herself.. has her own nice apt. with her son.. with no mans help.. works a nice paying job also...doesn't do drugs, a very polite girl, always has been... don't mean to brag, but can't help it...
Old 12-19-2002, 04:32 PM   #6
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by JenRN
<b>Well..... I just left the 20 somethings category, and my generation has been known for "Generation X" for soooo long. &nbsp;I do think that our generation is a whole lot different than many before and not always for the best either. &nbsp;As a nurse I see patients fron the age ranges of 18-100, and let me tell you patients from the ages of 18-35 are usually the worst, not all the time BUT..... they expect more quicker and NEVER thank you. &nbsp;The younger half of that number, the teens and young 20's seem to want everything yesterday!!!!! &nbsp;It is rare that you see a young person working 2 jobs to get a stereo they want or a new car. &nbsp;I was raised with "tough love" my parents really wanted me to know the value of $$$ &nbsp;soooo.... if I wanted that new bike or new outfit, guess what ? My ass was in the strawberry fields picking berries getting paid 25cents a quart until I had enough money for it! &nbsp;Now of course they helpoed out, BUT &nbsp;my mom and dad wanted me to now take things for grantid which a lot of youth do today. &nbsp;NOW change of pace........ There are soo many good young adults out there as well, I work a lot with the youth and if they are guided in the right way and RAISED correctly they have so much more potential and respect than other young people. &nbsp;I think that is why Scott's foundation WAWO is so important in that way, to help support there relationship with their parents and guardians, it makes a world of difference. &nbsp; FINALLY &nbsp;I believe the world has changed their blocked views of GEN X after 9-11!!!!!! &nbsp;Those firemen &nbsp;who ran in that building like that and saved so many lives were 90% guys my age, That I do believe is going to be the turn around for my generation and how it is viewed! &nbsp;Look at how many kids now view the cops and firemen as thier HERO'S!!!! &nbsp;Hey they sure are mine too! &nbsp;I believe we can change the ways people view my generation by continuing to keep up the work those firemen started on 9-11, THAT made me become a volunteer and Red Cross and other organizations, it was a life changing experience for me. &nbsp; Finally I view the WW2 era as the "greatest generation" &nbsp;because let me tell you, I love elderly people and I have learned SOOOOOO much from them, they have so much respect for each other and life in general, and they are grateful for everything they have, even the shirt on their backs! They are what this country was known by and they are dying so quickly, I love nothing better than to sit and talk to those people and learn about how "things were" it really makes you value what you have now! &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;And FINALLY I will end by saying ....... Our generation can also be known as the greatest generation if we stick together and give our time to others and continue &nbsp;to give that unconditional love and spirit those people on 9-11 did, from Todd Beamer all the way to the firemen, The choice is up to us to do it!!!!!!!! </b>
Here I go again... I have anuther Daughter Ashley 19, I have spoken about on this board before, she has worked since age 16, just graduated in November, is putting herself through nursing, starting in either this next January, or Feb.2003. She has her own apt.... Very good girl.... I'm very proud of her. My 15 year old Drew can't wait to turn 16 to get a job... My kiddies have no problem with the idea of working...
Old 12-19-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
OOps, I just talked about 2 of my kids dat aren't 20 sumthing.. please forgive um me for going off topic...:embarass:
Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Read JDM
I'm 24 and I'm disappointed with a lot of people my age but it goes beyond that. I'm just turned off by society in general. I think too many people bow at the altar of the almighty dollar, and yet, when it comes down to it, I think the same people find ways to limit the free enterprise and inalienable rights of everyone else. I think too many people have no respect for anyone other than themselves, with unrealistic world perspectives and no historical perspectives at all. I also think too many people believe wrong is right and right is wrong, but they believe this way for rebellious, reactionary reasons, rather than because it's true. Everything nowadays is just whatever it is, blah, blah, blah, give me this, I want that, blah, blah, blah, I'll sue McDonalds because it made me fat, so screw you if you're in my way, etc., etc., and so on. I don't think societies are ever perfect, really, but I think America is poised for a cultural revolution. It's been 40 years since the last and we're long overdue. I'm afraid it might be bloody if it waits too long, but hey, I'm just one guy, what am I supposed to do?

I have to agree with you on this. I'm 41 and what irks me most about the 20-somethings---and not all are like this--- but it seems they want all the top jobs without having to put in the sweat and time. They want to make the money I'm making (not that it's tons), but without putting in the 20 years I have put in. They almost think they are entitled to knock off all us older folks who are standing in their way. They also seem much more materialistic and self-centered. Shopping is a major pasttime with the ones I know, whereas for me shopping is something I do when I need something, not something to pass the time.

And you are so right about a lack of historical perspective. They don't even want to know what happened before the era of the Brady Bunch. It's scary. I also think television has contributed in a big way to the downfall of our society. It's been a friggin babysitter for most parents (my generation of parents) and it has done nothing but turn young people into mindless consumers who can't think for themselves. Again, I'm not trying to generalize or stereotype, but this is the general sense I get from the 20-somethings I know.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
My kiddies wouldn't do that...they have respect for der elders...:embarass:
Old 12-19-2002, 07:03 PM   #10
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Dogstar
I have to agree with you on this. I'm 41 and what irks me most about the 20-somethings---and not all are like this--- but it seems they want all the top jobs without having to put in the sweat and time. They want to make the money I'm making (not that it's tons), but without putting in the 20 years I have put in. They almost think they are entitled to knock off all us older folks who are standing in their way. They also seem much more materialistic and self-centered. Shopping is a major pasttime with the ones I know, whereas for me shopping is something I do when I need something, not something to pass the time.

You hit the key words I usually fall back on when arguing this point -- people nowadays are just plain materialistic and self-centered. Perceived entitlement is the root cause, and it's getting ridiculous already. It's not just the 20-somethings (many of whom are now 30-somethings), either. They're just leading the charge. I think this attitude of entitlement has permeated our entire culture. It's made people fat and lazy in the cerebral sense, because people are apathetic to just about everything south of instant gratification. Almost everyone I know couldn't name 10 current U.S. Senators or 30 Presidents if I asked them to, and they probably couldn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but they could name every winner from every reality show over the last four years and sing that stupid song from American Idol forward and back and in 6 langauges. I guess it all comes down to priorities and the fact that theirs are frighteningly modern.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:19 PM   #11
GoodGodGirl23
USER INFO »
OMG!! Don't noone have nuffin nice to say bout noone?? Not everyone is an Asswipe?? Come meet my Two daughters...
Old 12-19-2002, 09:27 PM   #12
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by Read JDM
Almost everyone I know couldn't name 10 current U.S. Senators or 30 Presidents if I asked them to, and they probably couldn't recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but they could name every winner from every reality show over the last four years and sing that stupid song from American Idol forward and back and in 6 langauges. I guess it all comes down to priorities and the fact that theirs are frighteningly modern.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Our priorities (because of the almighty dollar and TV, IMHO) are completely messed up. It's all about them and instant gratification..Me, me, me, want, want, want, as my mother used to say. And you're right, it's not just the 20-somethings...It's frightening to say the least.

GGG, we don't mean all 20-somethings. I'm just going by my own experiences.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:27 PM   #13
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by GoodGodGirl23
OMG!! Don't noone have nuffin nice to say bout noone?? Not everyone is an Asswipe?? Come meet my &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Two daughters...

Old 12-19-2002, 10:18 PM   #14
JenRN
USER INFO »
GGG23.... I guess your kids are the exeption! I did not say ALL were that way, hey I was not raised that way either, I worked for MANY years to get everything I have and I am STILL paying on student loans after 8 years! So yes there are exeptions to the majority for sure! I hope your girls know what they are getting into with nursing! I love taking care of patients BUT nursing is a daily struggle for many to keep their head above water, and the responsiblity is IMENSE!!!!!!!!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 12-19-2002, 10:25 PM   #15
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
U.S. Presidents
George Washington
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
John Quincy Adams
Andrew Jackson
John Tyler
James Polk
Zachary Taylor
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Andrew Johnson
Ulysses S. Grant
James A. Garfield
Chester A. Arthur
Grover Cleveland
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Harry S Truman
Dwight D. Eisenhower
John F. Kennedy
Lyndon B. Johnson
Richard M. Nixon
Gerald R. Ford
Jimmy Carter
Ronald W. Reagan
George Bush
George W. Bush

U.S. Senators
Trent Lott
Kay bailey Hutchison
Strom Thurmond
Michael Crapo
Mike DeWine
Lincoln Chafee
Thad Cochran
Larry Craig
OrrinHatch
Wayne Allard

sorry

but i really cant say anything about this.... you people make very valid points, i guess the fact that i am 19 and havent been exposed to these 20 something "perks" we speak of.